Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Owners: Meet the Members

Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your S-10!

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owners Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owners Clubs

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• Hello Karen,
    I would like to know if GMC Sonoma owners are also welcome or do you want to restrict this to just Chevrolet. jjstokes0430@hotmail.com
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    What kind of Sonoma do you have? Have a 2002 S-10 Crew Cab, and it is Sandalwood Metallic in color.
  • Of course, you're welcome! The way the clubs are set up is awkward for vehicles with shared platforms, but I'm not sure how to remedy the situation.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

• Thanks Karen. I have a 2000 SLS 4 cyl 5 speed. Nothing fancy., Tilt,cruise, CD player, full gage cluster and ZQ8 sport suspension pkg. Black, short bed regular cab. I wanted a grocery getter type vehicle that I could sit up in and carry an occasional sack of lawn seed etc. I have a 4 piece folding cover on the bed and this truck suits me so far. My only concern is the transmission is noisy in neutral with your foot off the clutch and the engine running. Dealer says it is normal..Still under warranty so I am watching it.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Is the 4 piece folding cover the one that is offered by GMC/Chevy dealers? What is it made out of? Does it have tracks along the bed rails? Does it require drilling to install? Does it lock the tailgate? How do you like it? How much did it cost?
  • My wife and I just took delivery on our 2002 Crew Cab 1 1/2 weeks ago..ours is Forest Green..We just love it..
  • Hello Moparbad,
    Regarding the folding cover on my Sonoma. It is made of a double layer of aluminum with styrofoam in between. The side rails are attached with double sided molding tape. The only necessary holes are two in the tailgate to mount the lock striker. It does lock the tailgate as well. It is water resistant but not guaranteed water proof. Water will get in my bed through the gaps between the side of the tailgate and the bed. It was made by Fold A Cover and sold through my GM dealer as a GM accesory.
  • pziggy I was wondering if you've had any problems with your gas gauge when it gets below 1/2 tank, we have a 2001 and I've had the truck in the garage at least 10 times and now GM says thats the nature of the truck. I wouldn't have leased the truck if I knew it had a problem like this. I'm going to fight them on this one, already contacting the BBB.
  • I have been monitoring the posts on the Gas Gauge problem, but as of now I have not noticed mine having the problem. I will monitor mine though to see if it does act up. What is happening with yours so I can see if mine does it.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

• gv1200gv1200 Posts: 1
    First an intro.
    I saw the 1996 S-10 pickup at the Auto Show in Feb. I saw the third door on the extended cab and said I have to have that truck. They started producing that model in June of 96. I bought mine off the lot July 5, 1996 two weeks after it came off the line. 88,000 miles on it and have not regreted my purchase once.
    Since I have owned mine I have had four friends and a brother-in-law buy the S-10 because it is a great vehicle.
    One of my buds is a GM mechanic(one of the best,even if he rides a Harley). I find out all the running problems with the Chevys. There is no gage problem that we have heard of. Fuel pump yes but no gauge problem.
  • PAmanPAman Posts: 207
    I work for the Air Force, drive about 20-25 miles each way to work, will soon move to the country, and do some light to medium hauling with my truck (lumber, concrete, plywood for weekend projects). I've also added a power sunroof and electric seat to mine. The sunroof allows me to enjoy the Texas sky while not missing my convertible too much, and the electric seat allows my wife (5'1") to be able to move the seat up enough to enjoy driving the truck.

Great truck would be an understatement. I used to trade cars and trucks every year or so, but I've had this one two years and just added a 6 year 100K miles Warranty Gold contract on it. I expect to have it at least that long--will be great to have it paid for, under warranty, know it is dependable, and won't leave me stranded somewhere. No big problems, but several small ones ($200 here, $300 there) all covered under the new GM warranty. I like to keep mine as close to new and in perfect running condition, so I expect I will get about a 2-for-1 payback on the warranty between now (32K mmiles) and 100K miles.

To anyone considering buying a Chevy S-10 or GMC Sonoma, two words: DO IT!! My personal recommendation is to go for the V-6, extended cab with third door and automatic.

These trucks are very dependable, have great rebates on them now, and will have good parts availability for years to come. When the new Chevy Colorado comes out to replace the S-10, you can expect a 5-15% price increase and no rebates for a year or two. That means the Colorado will easily be $5K-7K more expensive than a comparable S-10. And, we all know what can happen with new models, new engines and new transmissions.

Joe
  • Other than a single off-road adventure (what a blast), we've had nothing but heart-aches with our 2001 S10 ZR2 (extended cab). We've had it a little over a year putting ~11,000 miles on it. Here's our gripe list:
    1) The throttle stuck so they replaced the intake.
    2) Why didn't we notice that it didn't have a recirculation setting? We live in LA and the fumes kill us whenever/wherever we drive.
    3) Fuel gauge calibration is off even after we've taken it in to be 'fixed' several times. When the fuel light goes on there's still 6 gallons in there.
    4) The Max AC doesn't work.
    5) Lots of squeaking in the cabin, especially around the third door.
    6) The first bedliner didn't fit right. And the second one that we had them put in rattles.
    7) Scratches on rooftop from shipment.
    8) Floormats don't fit and are wearing terribly.
    9) When the mechanics replaced sending unit within fuel tank, they didn't put it in right. 10,000 miles later the truck stalled on a busy freeway as we were hauling a small boat...with gas spraying everywhere. Luckily no one was injured!
    I miss our Toyota!
  • Hi all, I just bought a 2002 S-10 crew cab 4X4 , Indigo blue yesterday in Germany from an american dealer. My wife and I are pumped! We don't pick up for 60 days. I know this model comes with many standard goodies, but am not sure if it comes with the "Bed liner" as standard. Any one know? Great write up "MOPARBAD". We're stoked!
  • We have to wait a couple of months till our truck is delivered..so we are looking for any pics of the crew cab 4X4 to have as wallpaper, any one with pics? We would appreciate it!
    Alloverit~
  • My daughter is an attorney whose client owns a 2000 S10. How many compartments are in the console? Her client says there are two, that the police say there are three, the police say they did not have to rip apart the console to find the cash and wiring under the console. Client says they ripped the whole thing out to expose the wiring etc. Before I go to a used car lot for pictures, etc. thought I would ask an owner what they looked like and how they were set up. Thanks for your time. Thelma
  • I have a 1995 chev s10, inherited it from my father. It has a 4.3 engine, and a 3.08 gear ratio, with 47,000 kms. I am trying to find out if I can reasonably pull an RV trailer. I believe the truck is rated to pull up to 5400 lbs, but I'm wondering what the real situation is. I'm looking at an RV trailer with a dry GVW of 2800 lbs. Do you have any experience or knowledge on this? Thanks.
    Len
  • I have a 95 GMC Sonoma 4Wd 4.3 that I use to pull a horse trailer (about 5000 lbs. loaded) and loaded hay wagons all the time with no problems at all. Keep your transmission fluid fresh, engine oil changed, and enjoy yourself!
  • hi everyone i have a question has anyone ever seen a S10 Cameo? I know its a rare truck i wanted to post up a pic of it but i dont know how
    Thanks Jason
  • Just Saying Hi...

Am new to the P/U scene.

My wife decided a few weeks ago that I needed a "new" toy to play with.. so she went out and
    got me a 99 S-10 LS extended cab.

It has a 4.3 V-6 Vortec and 4 speed automatic. Mileage on it is just a tad over 36,000. In addition, she also picked up a extra 36 month/36,000 mile extended warranty just for
    the heck of it.

She saw the custom bed liner, but at the time she first looked at it, didn't realize that it also had a class III Hidden Hitch receiver.

Well I guess you know where that leaves me now.. (LOL) I'll sure be giving her alot of " love'n " in the future.. (LOL).

As it stands, I'm nothing but happy with the purchase she made.