Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Accessories & Modifications

12346»

Comments

• the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,068
    First off -- nothing against dropped trucks with rims on them and the like, but the truck was not designed to be like that...

So having said that it is no surprise that the truck is having problems like the trannie and the tires. I know you like your look, but unless you really like paying for tires, than you might do well to raise the truck back up. I'm not surprised that you can't find anyone to align it for you, but at the same time since the suspension has been modified, it will be very difficult to keep it aligned properly.

Basically - when you lowered your truck you screwed yourself as it was never designed to to do that it the first place. Sure you might think it looks cool and might be good for trucks that are only in shows, but it's definatley not practical for everyday driving and everyday use...
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,068
    Okay - this is a pipe dream. But if I can make it a reality, I will. My truck is paid off. It drives great. It has no major problems to speak of. It has 105K miles on it. It is a 2001 2wd LS extended cab.

For the longest time I have always wanted to drop an LS-1 motor into it. You can get them from GM performance. I have no idea how much they cost, and haven't really researched it yet, although I am sure that the monetary amount needed to do such a conversion is not a couple hundered dollar job. That is why this is still a pipe dream, but I would really like to do it so I am thinking out the logistics of getting the motor into the truck all monetary needs aside.

Can it be done? And if so how difficult is it? What would need to be done to get this accomplished? Sounds crazy I know, but I know that people take the old 80's style S-10 and drop 350s into them all the time. Most of them are carbed and basic setups. This involves electronics, computers that involve everything from shift points on the transmission to the spedometer reading... so it's not just a simple transplant I'm sure.... but can it be done. Remember, price really isn't an issue since I know it probably isn't cheap and if I ever do it, I have an idea of what it would cost and I am willing to spend that much, but just not yet. (One, I can't afford it, and two, I have other priorities at hand. Oh yeah and 3, it's my only truck and so if I do the conversion I would have to go get another truck to use as a "truck"). When I am able to afford it, the other priorities will proably be taken care of.
  • I have a 1984 S15 with the 2.8L V6 engine and the stock transmission.
    Does anyone know if putting a newer (1989 or newer) model's 4.3L V6 in will help me avoid having to do a transmission swap?
    I have no idea if they are compatible, hoping someone else does or has another suggestion.
    Thanks, Marc
  • hi i was tryn to do the same for my 96 and what i find out is i dont no in your 94 but try a junk yard cause is more cheaper look for a suv like the jimmy or the blazer and they come with disc brakes and evrithing fits all you need is the brakes lines because is diferent but the rest is the same you'll save some money there
  • CDIICDII Posts: 8
    Not to insane, I remember seeing a mid 80s s10 in a truck mag that had an Lt1, irock 5spd, dont remember the rear axle size, that rocked. I say if money not too much of an object, then custom build it to your spec. Good Luck!
    Izuzu is the great-granddad of S10's ;)
    I don't have hands on experience, but I'm pretty sure the bell housings are different.
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    -Also posted this in the Care & Maintenance Forum-

Good day everyone,

I am looking to replace the shocks on my rig. It's a '99 S-10 (4.3L, auto, reg. cab-short bed) with ZQ8 suspension package. I was wondering if anyone here replaced their shocks on their ZQ8 truck and if so:

Which shocks did you use
    Where did you get them
    Cost

I've checked a couple of places like Rock Auto, Edelbrock, Summit (gateway from the Edelbrock site) and GMPartsDirect but it they are hella-expensive (especially if I go with the AC Delco replacements :surprise: ).

Also, was wondering if anyone has replaced the oil cooler lines and if so:

How difficult of a job was it
    Any special tools / tricks & tips needed
    Specific steps / procedures needed to be followed
    Is there a better, more robust assembly than the OEM assembly, particularly at the hard-line to rubber hose crimps
    Am I better off taking the truck in to have it done

Thanks everyone

JAE
  • texndavetexndave Posts: 4
    Does anyone sell a daytime running light conversion for a 95 Sonoma? Would like all 4 lights working when on bright. Had one on a 99 Z71, have not been able to find one for the Sonoma.
  • i have a 2003 gmc sonoma zr5, 4x4, crew cab. does anyone know where i can get a cat back rear exit dual exhaust from?
  • texndavetexndave Posts: 4
    looking for a conversion kit that allows the daytime running lights to operate when the headlights are on bright.
  • I have just recently purchased a 96 sonoma extended cab and want to play with it. does anyone know if a 98 s-10 grill and light set up will bolt right up to the sonoma? any input would be greatly appreciated. I want to put aftermarket lights on it but I cant find any for my year truck.
  • noxmartyrnoxmartyr Posts: 3
    Umm. the rear i think is different , the easiest and cheapest way to do a v8 conversion is to find a 3rd gen camaro for the suspension and rear, motor mounts etc. donor cars are all over a good place to find one is at a car auction , they go cheap. I did read that the newer s10's have a tighter suspension though.
  • Looking for advice. (Thought I posted this yesterday but I could not find it today)
    I have a factory steering wheel with the airbag in the center. The airbag is perfect but the steering wheel that holds it is in extreme disrepair. I thought about sacrificing the airbag and getting an aftermarket wheel. However, the initial research says there are or may be issues when an airbag is in the factor. Has anyone else changed and airbagged wheel on a late 90's early 2000 S-10? Any help would be great.
  • Got this 255/35/20 new tire and it was perfectly good with my car. Try to visit this site for more choices of high performance cobalt performance parts. http://ngamotorsports.com/
  • leofireleofire Posts: 1
    1st off a reg S10 4X4 can never be a ZR2. A ZR2 is 3ins wider than a reg 4X4 S10 and the frame is more heavy duty than stock. Two totally different trucks.
    The ZR2 also has 3in lift from factory an comes with 31X10.5 R15 tires. So either sell your stock s10 an get a Z or lift the one you have. You could always do a suspension lift an bigger tires and a accessory body lift. I have a 96 ZR2 with some performance mods and I love it. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.
12346»