Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma Care & Maintenance

Comments

• ns_zr2ns_zr2 Posts: 2
    I'm the proud owner of a 02 s-10 ext cab LS ZR2! When I bought my truck I had observations about the zr2 package myself. I almost bought a DODGE! Anyway, this is truck is reliable, quite surpisingly good on fuel and alot easier to manuver then the dodge I was looking at. On the down side, 4.3 v6 is the only option for power, which is ok, but I wanted a v8. Other then that the truck has surpassed my expations, in everyway. I live in nova scotia where we get alot of snow, and I can honestly say, it takes a HUGE, snow bank to stop this tank!
  • I have a 4X4 S10 Blazer and I have a loud noise upon deceleration from the right front area. It starts out as a loud rumble and then deepens and stops when i slow down.

The noise occurs (say one out of 10 trips) on the interstate. I drive 70 and when i get on a offramp, the noise starts and stops around 25-30 MPH. If i start accelerating when the noise starts, the blazer will keep going without any noise. But as soon as I start braking, it starts back again.

Anybody have this problem? Heard of it? I am leaning towards a hub or transfer case problem. Maybe the blazer is trying to go into 4X4 mode when i decelerate sometimes? Thanks in advance.

89 S10Blazer, 136,000, Tahoe Edition, 4.3 L V6
  • Has anyone else had a problem with their ignitions switches?? I had a '97 blazer with 118K miles and the ignition switch failed by not letting pwr throught to the fuse block for the gages and the electric fuel pump.. Seems like I talked to the local chevrolet shop and they have had several vehicles in the last month or so that had the same problems... (1) one wire does not allow current to flow to numerous fuses on the fuse box.. should this be a recall item?? lets hear what you all think??
  • ellery1ellery1 Posts: 2
    MATTISON1, I have exactly the same hard start problems with my 94 S-10 p/u. I've put plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel pump and filter in. I've heard that a fuel pressure regulator may do it, but on my vortec (W engine code) it's all one unit that includes injectors, not cheap. Also, I've been told that a coolant temp sensor would be a possibilty. I'm frustrated as I'm sure you are. If you get it figured out, let me know.
  • rslarnerrslarner Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Chevy S-10 4x4 with the ZR2 package. Eight months into it, with 16K miles, and the transmission just went out. I haven't had any other problems, and everything was covered by Chevy, but it's not the best feeling when your new truck leaves you stranded in the first year. Chevy was less than helpful with the matter, insinuating that it must have been my driving. The truck has not even been off-road yet. Moving forward with fingers crossed...
  • spike882spike882 Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my blazer over the winter. I have the same model and year and all I did was shift the truck into neutral on the 4WD control and then put it back into 2WD. This seemed to take care of the problem for me. I love this truck.
  • skyhawk3skyhawk3 Posts: 42
    I have a 96 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed extended cab with 86k. The first start in the morning was fine. Each start thereafter required pumping the pedal & cranking the engine. The dealer told me it was a fuel pressure regulator even before they ran diagnostics. It was pricey and it fixed the problem. Other than front brakes and a battery this is the first maintenance on the truck.
  • camaro77camaro77 Posts: 2
    Thanks Spike! I changed the transfer case fluid and that has seemed to take care of that problem. But not i have a antifreeze leak :- (

Keep in touch if you have any other issues come up with your S-10.
  • smackensmacken Posts: 1
    Just got my first Chevy truck and in the first 2 tanks of gas, only got 13MPG out of the first.
    50/50 Highway/City.
    Got 16MPG out of the second. 95% 65MPH Highway.
    I'm not sure I'm gonna like having only a 300 mile
    range on the vehicle. Need to gas up twice a week.
    Also note that the engine RPM's are about 300 RPM
    higher at highway speed.
    It replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee that got 18/24
    MPG and a 400 mile range.

Question: Is this gonna get better as the engine
    breaks in ?
    What can I do to improve it Change a gear or chip etc....

Thanks all you pro's.

over and out
  • joemilanjoemilan Posts: 6
    I had this problem on my '97 S10 while it was under extended warranty (about 50K miles). The dealer replaced the EGR system on the truck. No reoccurence of the problem since (90K miles now).
  • joemilanjoemilan Posts: 6
    I have a '97 S10 with the 4.3L V6 Vortec. If the timing chain / belt breaks, is this a catastrophic failure, or will you simply be stranded?? If it is a catastrophic issue, what is the recommended mileage to change this at and an approximate cost.

Thanks
  • ffmcobaltffmcobalt Posts: 20
    I just put a new starter in my S-10 Blazer. The trouble was that the Chiltons says that it would take 2.5 hours. Yuck.

I took the exhaust apart trying to get the starter to drop down since there wasn't any room to pull it up through the top. With a friend pulling the exhaust to the side and me pulling down on the starter, we still couldn't get the damn thing out. So then we decided to hell with it and took the cross-member out.

Yeah, that wasn't fun putting back in. *grr!* It took three entire shims plus one half shim on the outside bolt. It's a good thing that there wasn't any more space needed because I ran out of shims.

What happens next? I can't find the bolts that bolt the exhaust line to the exhaust header. Great. Now I have one side of the exhaust off and no bolts. The cool thing is that now it sounds like a frickin monster truck, rumbling down the road. :D It's nice to waste the ricers off the line AND sound like a huge-[non-permissible content removed] Chevy 350 under the hood. I have to bottle it up pretty quickly, though, because I don't want anything melting.

I have a new carb from Holley sitting on the passenger seat of my truck because it's a little too complicated for my solo-automotive-expertise. Vacuum hoses SUCK. I just don't have the patience. I can do it no problem with the motor is out of the truck like what was done when three of us rebuilt the motor, but on my own when the motor is in is just too much for my lazy butt. :p
  • deuskiddeuskid Posts: 20
    s-10 extended cab w/ 4.3, auto trans. Has 107,xxx miles on it. How reliable is this engine? Gas milage [why don't they have a smaller 6 or a decent 4? just wondering]? When is the timing belt needed to be changed [not listed in the owner's manual]? thx
  • bought our truck 7-24-02 about 6 months of ownership the tranny started to make a clattering noise like the throw out bearing was going out took it in they said it was normal noise. about a month ago it started making a noise like a j-brke noise when you let off the gas took it in they said normal noise so they refused to fix it now it makes the noise all the time is there any one who is experiencing the same noises please leave a message in the town hall thank you
  • Is it really necessary to have the transmission fluid changed at 30K or is not? Not sure if I'm being taken or not? Any thoughts?
  • tommctommc Posts: 68
    That might be a little early for a highway driven vehicle, not bad for a city driver. If you plan on keeping the machine for several years it's a very good idea to change the trans fluid regularly - if not - you can run it a long time without maintenance but it will shorten the life of it.
  • bigbutrbigbutr Posts: 111
    Recently took possession of a 1996 extended cab with the 4.3 vortec V-6 with just 63,200 miles for use on a rural mail route with the USPS. I'll only be using it twice to maybe three times a week for a 58 mile route, but, as you can assume, there is a lot of stop and go. Anyone have any advice on what fluids I should change out. I'm thinking of switching over to full synthetic oil and was wondering if there is some upgraded auto tranny fluid which would help as well. I'll be taking advantage of Midas' lifetime brake guarantee since I plan on working with the USPS for a while.
    FWIW, the truck was in immaculate condition, has nearly every option that was offered that year and looked nearly brand new. Old people take care of their stuff.
  • Well, definately change the oil and filter. I run synthetic in my 2000 Sonoma and I did in my prior '96 S-10. It will definately extend the life and health of your engine if you're willing to spend the extra change for the good stuff. If the the tranny fluid and filter have never been changed you're gonna want to do that too. As far as changing your coolant, if it has never been done it might be a good idea. Make sure you use the Orange stuff though or else you could have some problems. As far as other regular maintainence, make sure your brake and steering fluids are topped off and it might be a good idea to buy and new air filter as well, that can do wonders for your gas milage if yours is dirty. Well, hope that helps. Enjoy your truck. I had mine for 3 years and only a couple of minor, age related problems. It was a great truck. I just wanted 4x4.
  • You may want to have the cooling system pressure tested. You can almost bet the intake gaskets will be leaking soon. Mine were replaced at only 33,000 miles.
  • I have a pretty noticeable squeak when turning right that just started recently. If I am holding the wheel stright or turning left - no squeak - just when I am making right turns. Could this be a break wear indicator? Let me know what you think.....thanks.

98 S-10 2.2L LS Trim Stadard Cab - Two Wheel Drive