Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,114
    I see what you're referring to the Future Telling article -- sending in the Feedback Form will insure that the errors get looked at. Thanks!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• rabbott36rabbott36 Posts: 1
    If you guys who are wondering why the towing capacity and other specs are so large please read the fist overview and you will see that the specs in the overview do not match the detailed spec site.

I would bet that they are pointing you to some huge NA truck
    "It may be late to the party, but initial inspection says that all those loyal VW aficionados will snap them up promptly."

First Drive: 2004 Volkswagen Touareg

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• peachtree103peachtree103 Posts: 189
    Great review. Actually sounds like it will have more "Utility" than I would have expected, plus plenty of Sport. Memo to VW: BRING THE TDI TO THE US. 0-60 in under 8 seconds with 23 MPG... what's not to love?
    Do you think people really will take a SUV that's meant to compete against the likes of the Volvo XC90 offroad?

Steve
    Host

Utility: see also, cargo room :)

Was referring as much to the comment about more cargo room than the X5 as the off road ability, but it's nice to know that if I was crazy enough to take a $50K vehicle off road, I probably won't need a Ford or Jeep to get me unstuck.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    << Do you think people really will take a SUV that's meant to compete against the likes of the Volvo XC90 offroad? >>

Absolutely. People take Range Rovers and Land Cruisers off road, so why not the Touareg?

Remember, this vehicle will be sold world-wide, not just to the country-club set here in the USA. I tip my hat to VW for offering a state-of-the art "true" SUV, and not just another 4WD solid-axle anvil.

Bob
  • carjunkcarjunk Posts: 10
    Steve,
    How can I get the message to the VW people that we need 7 passenger seating as much as or more than a diesel engine? The VW website email keeps locking up!
    Would one of your auto journalists who get to drive these have an email address to contact at VW for customer feedback?
    Thanks
    This is the direct link to the US/Canada VW contact info page -- maybe that'll work for you.

Otherwise try the international VW page at www.volkswagen.de and click on the British flag at the lower right for English - I understand they are very responsive.

I'm telecommuting from Boise so can't walk down the hall and ask the editorial folks for their secret contact info ;-)

Steve
    Host

• agh15agh15 Posts: 90
    I THINK THAT TOUAREG PRICE SHOULD GO FROM 25,000 TO 35,000. IF THE TOUAREG STAYS IN THAT RANGE IT WILL BE A HUGE HIT, I KNOW I WILL BUY IT.
  • vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    Delete your *Caps Lock*...
    Does anyone know when more info will come available on the touareg.
    I just went to vwvortex.com and saw the touareg road test and it looks awesome. The only thing that i think volkswagen should change is the rear and the price. The rear looks like a wagon not a suv.
    I had initially written this vehicle off as a bad joke (especially with its Porsche cousin), but the review here on Edmunds and the one on Vortex make it sound like a real contender. I don't think we're going to get the price down, given that VW only intends to import 25,000 or so. But I do hope we get the TDI 10 cylinder diesel. That engine sounds sweet. VWguild, any ideas on the overall pricing structure (beyond the starting point of $35K), and whether or not (or how soon) we could reasonally expect the TDI?
    You are probably right about the price, but i think they could sell at least 100,000 touaregs if Volkswagen would lowerd the price to the 25,000 to 30,000 base price.
    We don't even have published prices on 2003 Jettas
    or Golfs, much less a product that is a year away
    from delivery...I think Jamie indicated that the TDI would be coming this way in the 2nd year of
    production...Disappointing, but I believe this has something to do with Fed Law Changes regarding Diesel #2 Fuel and cleaning up as it is in Europe and the fact that Diesel truck emissions are different than passenger cars...

And think how many they could sell @ $15,995.00...:) Technologically speaking this is
    not an entry level SUV, and is not supposed to be...
    The last time I checked Volkswagen was a mass auto producer, and you would think they would want to sell vehicles not price them so high that the Touareg goes against Mercedes-Benz ml class, bmw x5, and Acura Mdx. If they want to increase their market share in the U.S. market they need to have vehicles that compete technology, and price wise. I know Volkswagen is comepting technology wise but not price wise. When the Microbus debuts will it be charged so high that they cant reach their own expectations for sales. I think that the microbus and the touareg could both sell well here but they need to priced correctly. I' am aware that Volkswagen is trying to go upscale but they cant forget about the lower priced segments trying to go their. I heard somewhere that they wanted to reach 500,000 in sales by 2005 how are they going to get their with prices like these. Vw has always been high priced, and I think you get alot for the price but to end it somewhere.
    If you look at the competition, most 4WD mid-sized luxury SUV's are priced from the low to mid 30's, including the Honda Pilot, Acura MDX, Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD, Ford Explorer EB, and a host of others. Given the level of sophistication here, I don't think an estimated $35K starting point is out of the question. Given something like the 10cyl TDI, I'd pay a premium over these prices, and I think others will, as well.
    The Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer, and Honda Pilot all have lower priced models.
  • geoffd1geoffd1 Posts: 21
    I think Jamie indicated that the TDI would be coming this way in the 2nd year of
    production...Disappointing, but I believe this has something to do with Fed Law Changes regarding Diesel #2 Fuel and cleaning up as it is in Europe and the fact that Diesel truck emissions are different than passenger cars...
    The performance level of diesels in Europe is fantastic. Those engines don't work over here on our lousy high-sulfur fuel. The trucking lobby has managed to stall requirements for better diesel fuel for years and it's only now starting to happen.

Personally, I'd love to own a turbodiesel-powered SUV. Great mix of fuel economy, torque for towing, and durability. Rumor has it that Dodge is planning to put a Cummins in their Durango soon. Toyota has always had a really strong diesel in the Land Cruiser but it doesn't get imported to North America.
    I think that volkswagen North America should bring a smaller diesel like a six here.
    *AUTOWEEK* for July 15th for a review & 1st Drive.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I would not hesitate to buy the diesel version, those 550lbs/ft of torque coupled with those sweet European diesel engines are a deligth. A few months ago I had the opportunity to observe in person an ML400 cdi, at first I tought it was some kind of turbine experimental vehicle, the engine only made a soft whine type of noise, even at iddle, not that clackiting rattling can full of marbles sound typical of US diesels. Maybe most American still have in their memories the old smoky diesels of the 80's, but that is history, a new generation of common rail and pre-combustion chambers, ligth weigth, all aluminum, high rpm, along with many other improvements has emerged in Europe that rival gasoline engines in smoothness and acceleration plus the high torque and long life of a diesel, to the point that in some European countries diesel engines account for 40% of new sales, while diesel engines here remain the same old archaic, heavy weigth brute engine.
    Because of the deplorable diesel in this country we have to miss the opportunity to choose from one of those diesel engines, I say lets give the diesel clean up project to the snails and we may speed up things.
    You mean ML270 CDI. That's the only diesel Mercedes offers for the ML, and it's only for overseas use.

Bob
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    Yes Mercedes make the 400CDI, I saw them while I was visiting the factory in Alabama.

An encounter with the ML 499CDI.

http://207.182.236.112/default.asp?id=1&ACT=5&content=8&mnu=1

Interesting! This must be a new engine, as I have not heard of it before. Will it be available here in the USA?

Thanks for the link. :)

Bob
    Any new info on the Touareg.
  • carjunkcarjunk Posts: 10
    try autoweek.com, the july 9 issue.
    you can also get to it by reading the phaeton story and looking at the links displayed.