Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• I test drove a V8 T-reg a few days ago. It had the air suspension, and a few other options. As a whole it was pretty impressive. One issue that I saw was that there is a noticeable lag during acceleration from a stop. It was akin to a gas powered golf cart, where you step on the gas, wait and then the acceleration kicks in. Not nearly as pronounced in the T-reg as in a golf cart though.
    Has anyone else felt this, or was it just this particular T-reg?
    There were many things that I did like about it:
    1. Great interior, but the Teak is kind of a strange color. Also Cricket looks nicer than Nappa. Maybe a little too much wood though.
    2. Exterior has a high quality feel, even if the profile looks a lot like a Hyundai Santa fe.
    3. Car handled great, very solid, air suspension added a lot of variety, and seemed well worth getting.

Botom line: To me it seemed worth the money, and I have not seen a SUV that I like better yet.
  • djasonwdjasonw Posts: 624
    My friend goes through cycles like I do when it comes to getting new cars. He has a 2001 S4 and I have a 2002 Audi allroad. He wanted the T-Reg because of its additional utility. The dealers in the NYC Metro area (including Long Island) are a bunch of morons. They think they have struck gold with this vehicle and have a very cavalier attitude. One dealer wanted a $500 deposit before we even test drove it! Another dealer didn't feel like going for a test drive because it was 8:00 in the evening and they close at 9:00. One other dealer was willing to let us go but he admonished his car jockey in front of us with some four letter words and we left. Why buy close to a $50,000 car from someone who doesn't know how to treat a customer (or his employees for that matter)? I imagine the service will suck too!!
    Well... my friend came up to my house in NE PA and we went to a dealer in Scranton who was actually a nice guy. Once you're out of NY it is like a different world. We test drove the V6 and turned back after two blocks. That car could NOT get out of its own way. We then took out the v8 with all the goodies and as soon as my friend accelerated I loved the sound of that engine. Thing is, VW engineered TOO much sound to enter the cabin. They need to definitely hush it. The car handled fine until my friend crossed some broken pavement which upset the car's poise. We both heard a creak coming from the car and that was the deal breaker for my buddy. He drove back and was OVER the T-Reg. Overall, I think my friend was too critical but he just didn't like buying a luxury SUV from a dealer network that can take lessons from Saturn!! Too bad, because I think this vehicle has a great deal of potential. VW needs to train their sales people on customer service. I can only imagine what it will be like trying to sell Phaetons!!!! Good luck with your purchase. If you can wait, there WILL BE DEALS to be had. Don't pay MSRP!!!!
  • c5loverc5lover Posts: 17
    The T-Reg V8 compares in price/trim level with the BMW and Volvo 6 cylinder machines.
    It blows them away, though. Probably blows away the small BMW V8 too, but I haven't compared.
  • I think we have a same background, even though I'm a K american. I have a 2-week old T-reg V6 w/ full options (except Air), which I've fallen in love with. However, if I were you, I will go for X5 4.4L. As you mentioned, they would not value VW as high as BMW. And still I like the X5-look better. Moreover, X5 has a proven reliability (vs. VW just released.). Better wait though, until October, for a newly face-lift 2004 X5! My suggestion is; surf the web to find VW T-reg or BMW X5-exclusive forum. And do your homework more. If you need to know about those specific forums, drop me a line to escaflowne_song@hotmail.com. The HOST won't allow me to leave info here.

AND go with V-8, not V-6. To our surprises, they don't make ANY DIFFERENCE at all when it comes to gas mileages! I'm only getting only 14 (average) on local drive, even though I baby it. I should have purchased V-8. I'm regretting now.
  • roweerowee Posts: 21
    place of Cayenne and T-reg platforms. While porsche takes the platforms (on trains) to Germany the vw are produced and shipped from there. so I assume (but NOT sure at all) that these two cousin suv have some differences in quality of the finished product(although I suppose the workers in the porche plant are not Germans any way)
  • . . ."tip" lag that is probably a "feature" of the drive by wire set up that virtually all modern cars in this class have.

The lag is the computer figuring out what you just asked the engine, transmission combo to do based on your input via the accelerator pedal. Presumably, the thing will "learn" what you want and lag will almost vanish -- almost.

I had the same thing on my Audi A6 4.2 (MY 2001) very slight "turbo-lag" and of course it was not a turbo.

I got over it -- but I don't have it now with my 2003 6spd manual allroad.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    I saw over the last week, V-6's are being advertised by a large dealer for $32,999 delivered.
    Personally I'm not interested as the engine has less power than a Chevy Trailblazer V-6, and the T-Reg is close to 5,000Lb. I'm in no hurry to buy a vehicle so I'd like to look at a "owner's demo." Diesel at some time in the future.

I'd like to see a "baby T-Reg", stripped down to <3500 Lb with the v-6 or a small diesel. Now that I'd snap up in a minute.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    In theory...could the Touareg people sue VW over profits made by using their name and legendary status (at least according to marketing)? Do you have to get a nomadic tribe to sign a waiver to use their name on a global product?
  • spockcatspockcat Posts: 100
    Did the Cherokee sue Jeep? The Dakotas sue Dodge? Canada sue GM over the Yukon? New Mexico sue Hyundai over the Sante Fe? No basis for the theory. Too much PCness here.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I don't want to stray too far off topic...however not PC, just curious. Good point about the Cherokee's, however I am not sure if sections of land fall under the same umbrella (yukon/dakota)? Cherokee was utilized a long time before such things got legal backing as well as they didn't use imagery of an Indian to sell the vehicle (at least I never saw any). VW is making a direct link to the people from their marketing, slightly different.

Imagine if they used a negative stereotype like this car kills like XYZ people there would be basis for a law suit. Using a positive stereotype shouldn't be so widely accessible, because positive to some, may still not be to all. (that was kind of PC)

The answer to my question may be "no", however I think there is basis to the theory.
  • The image of an Indian would have been used with the Jeep Grand Cherokee? Is placing an Indian on a vehicle in some way disrespectful?

I give up on this PC stuff -- what is the offense we're trying to avoid.

Is Touareg or Cherokee in some way a negative term? -- what about the Pontiac Montana or the fact that the emblem for Pontiac used to be the likeness of a Native American Indian -- are we somehow suggesting that these names are "bigoted" (or whatever the point is)?

Anyway what does the name Touareg symbolize?
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    Nomadic desert tribes from Northern Africa.

Bob
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,985
    "It's pronounced "Tour-regg" -- emphasis goes on the first syllable, then it's quick and sharp on the second syllable. The word translates literally to "free folk," and refers to a nomadic tribe whose travels regularly take them across the Sahara Desert. Such harsh terrain demands a strong physical and emotional constitution, and knowing that, it shouldn't surprise you that a sport-utility vehicle has adopted the name of this people."

Editors' Review

Steve, Host
  • I've owned 2 BMWs, my first a 2002 and my last a 735i. I seriously considered betting the X5 2 years ago, but after reading all the quality problems owners were having a BMW X5 forums, I decided against it as it was clear that BMW was not working to address the issues....common problems kept coming up and dealers and BMW didn't seem to deal with the root cause, let alone acknowledge the complaints. Before I bought the V8 Touareg, I also thought about waiting for the new X5 this fall as its not far away, but then while it will have significant improvements, I just don't trust BMW to get it right not only the first time but then afterwards if problems occur. My friend who has a Z3 is very unsatisfied with service/repair of a leaking top. And there was a recent forum complaint about our local dealer regarding a new X5 that soured me. BMW has clearly lost all sense of style....and Chris Bangle is not the only one to blame...all management and the Board sign off on new designs. Yes it comes from Bangle's warped leadership over design, but what are all the rest of BMWs managers smoking? Anyway, the X5 is about the only current design that will get better. So I wouldn't count on reliability in the BMW being better than the Touareg....and there is already a recall on the tire pressure monitoring system. Mine after 10 days says the right rear is low, but the pressure is fine.

Yes there is a throttle response lag on occasion when not at a complete stop that is annoying at minimum....so no California rolling stops are advised. I very much like the V8 and already have over 1600 miles in a month. The only lack of punch is when looking to pass or accelerate quickly when going 40mph or faster. With the very high gearing of something like 4.56 rear end, much higher than the Cayenne, the Treg has better low end punch at the expense of punch and fuel economy at higher speeds. If one truly wants a response SPORT SUV experience, the only real solution is the Turbo Cayenne. I did test drive it and almost bought it. My wife said get the VW and spend the difference more wisely......so I did to the benefit of our favorite charities and still got a new digital camera, a new home theater system, and a nice 37" LCD HDTV for the kitchen....and have change left.
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I have made up my mind and my next SUV is going to be the Touareg V10 TDI, I understand is only a question of months now before they arrive.

The diesel engine will give the power of the old American big block iron, really much more, at 553ft/lbs of torque without the poor gas mileage of those engines, it propels the heavy SUV at 23mpg and 0 to 60 in 7,8 secs which is very fast for a heavy vehicle and it meets the Euro IV emissions requirements ahead of schedule.

Reading the link below a few things come to realization, some have said the Touareg is heavy but the reason is that from the very beginning of the project the power plants were being developed in parallel and the V10 diesel was one of them and it produces lots of power, that meant that the transmission and drive components had to be designed and built strong enough to handle the torque, same for the body to handle the torsion forces, in fact a British article said one could jack the Treg one wheel in the front and another opposite in the rear and all doors will work flawlessly, so for a V6 or V8 you have an extra strong drive and platform.

The V10 has been nominated this year the best big engine of the world, it reaches maximum torque at only 2000rpms and top speed 140mph, for a complete review of this advanced engine.

http://www.stealthtdi.com/VWDieselHistory.html
  • How about T-reg V8 Vs. Aviator Full option?
    or T-reg V6 (w/ Air Sus) Vs. Avaitor Full option?
    Cannot decide between two...
  • Test drove one this weekend. The most beautiful interior I have ever seen in an automobile! Love everything except the slight hesitation in acceleration. Its #1 on my shopping list. Was gonna go for the GX470 but that vibration issue is a sick joke for a 50K $ car...
    When are the T-Regs supposed to hit the dealers in quantity?

Pardon me if you piped up before, but are there any owners in here yet?

Steve, Host
  • spockcatspockcat Posts: 100
    about 45 to 60 days ago. If they aren't there in quantity it is because they are not lingering on the lots too long. I've had mine for over 5 weeks now and am loving it.
    It's curious that there doesn't not much buzz about them around the other discussions like, say, the FX45 - seems like you get a lot of the Cayenne technology for lots less.

Steve, Host