Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• kscctsksccts Posts: 140
    $1000 service on a W? That's absurd!! :sick:
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,805
    I've seen quite a few $850 brake job posts for the MB M-Class over the years. I wonder what the Edmunds Maintenance Guide says the 40k service costs for your zip code?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sixfivesixfive Posts: 45
    I had my very trustworthy mechanic do the oil/filter change for 75. The filter was 18 bucks or something and the service included a tire rotation. I believe it's worth avoiding the dealer prices and I fared rather well having someone I trust. Being Cheap doesn't have to mean skimping..
  • Steve,

The maintenance guide says it should be about $411 for the 40K service in my area. That's not what the dealer charged. $452 in parts, $481 in labor, $56 in Tax. Nothing was broken on the car. This was the scheduled 40K service.

On the positive side, I did get a "free" loaner car.

One of my options in the furture is to opt out of the dealer service and find a local machanic who can work on these vehicles. Not optimal, but given the cost of maintaining this car through VW I will need to do something different.

I would really be curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with their TReg when reaching 40K miles.

Thanks,

ES
    Often the dealer service includes a bunch of stuff that the manufacturer doesn't recommend or require. Some of it may even be valuable to you.

Next time you could specify what you want done instead of asking for the 40k (or 50k, 60k or whatever) service.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• 36 mos along with first payment due at signing. You asked for 0 down, correct? $563.97 with first payment only due at signing for your 12k a year. I'll prepare a lease for you on the 2006.

V8 2005 with the Nav system

Any thoughts guys? Or would you just do a loaded RX330 (without the nav) for $500/mo on a 36 12k yr
  • pittsypittsy Posts: 15
    My tires just don't have enough life left to see me through the winter. My local tire guy says that the Dunlop's will cost me $300. each to replace and is recommending that I look at the Hankook W300 instead at $175. ea (Canadian Dollars) Has anyone had any experience with the Hankook tires?
  • pandboypandboy Posts: 28
    I am new here to this board. I found a used 2005 Touareg V6 with package #3 in a local dealer, listed as $29999. Is this a good deal? How is this SUV reliability? Winter is around corner. I need a 4x4 for the snow in north country.
    Welcome to Edmunds Pandboy. Check the posts over in the Volkswagen Touareg: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Steve, Host

• panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    Hankook is pushing the W300 Icebears pretty hard here in Denver. They look ok. My tire guy says they are a good winter tire. They will not likely last even as long as the OEM tires, because they are winter only. My second set of Pirelli Scorpion Zeros is still in good shape, so that's what I'll run this winter on my Touareg.
  • I am new to the forum and wanted to ask what kind of fuel others are using in their T-regs.

I just ordered a V8 package three that should be delivered in Jan or Feb and while at the dealer he mentioned that premium fuel is recommended. The car doesn’t have a turbo so I wondered if anyone else was running something other than premium. Here in Hawaii premium is 92 octane. I don’t want to waste money on expensive fuel if it doesn’t need it. However, I am not sure if maybe the engine has a high compression ratio or something and thus the “recommended” premium is “required” like my turbo charged cars have said in their owners manual.
  • tdo123tdo123 Posts: 102
    I am surprised that VW is not offering any end of year incentives at this point. Right now you can get the loaded LX470 for around $62, but the loaded v8 T-Regg will cost you around 56k. I love the car, but they should consider some discounts!!
  • Are "breaks" anything like brakes? They sound the same. Anyway, $750 is close to twice what you should have to pay. Unless your car is leased and you are required to have dealer maintenance, any competent (operative word) shop can hook you up. Your rotors might need resurfacing but pads, labor, and resurfacing should be way under $750.
    Also, on the $1000 40K checkup, from owning six new VWs I have found a wide disparity from dealer to dealer on such costs.
  • Hi,
    I just found this forum and really looking for your opinions. I have owned 2 touaregs since they came out in 2004. Both cars have been absolute junk and I am currently hoping to get rid of my second one asap.

Both SUV's have been in the shop 5+ times for various problems, many re-occuring.

I am curious to hear if any of you have had such lemons. Please let me know :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    You're late to the party when it comes to complaints about the 2004 model T Regs. The initial quality on the 2004 models is pretty bad, and you only need to look at the problems and solutions on here to find out what a lot of people have experienced.

I've heard the 2005 models seem to be better.
  • I've owned just one from Feb '04 and have been in the shop more times than I czan count for an array of different problems. None have cost anything ( all under warraenty)but very inconvient. Have even talked to VW customer care, but we'ren't even offered a crumb of help other than too bad, so sad! I've been told that the new ones are better :-)!! Not sure I trust that comment. I love the car, so for now it's a love/ hate relationship. My prior car 'a 94 Explorer with 160MM miles was never in the shop for other than routine maint. Not sure what to do next
  • I switched to premium fuel and lowered my highway speed to 70mph and increased my mileage to 18-19/gal. Actually, the 19mpg would be more like 65mph on the non-expressway roads. It's not your super high mileage vehicle for a commuter car.
  • We have a love/hate relationship with this car also. While beautifully appointed and powerful, it has been in the shop more than 10 times in two years. We kept hoping for a solution to all it's problems. After staying in the shop for about 6 WEEKS to fix an air conditioning issue,we are done. Currently the fog lights don't work, the CD player shuts off intermittently, I am still getting tire pressure alarm faults, and the compass lights intermittently also. Many of these issues are from the first month of ownership. vw of america is less than helpful. the attorney general was mildly interested and was mediating for us. Alas, VW cannot see what a piece of
    garbage this suv is.
  • Does anyone know if the 2006 model is more reliable. I love this car but from reading all the nightmares people have had, I'd be a fool to get it. Has vw fixed these issues in 2006 model? Any 2006 owners out there with lemons?
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If a board is inactive for a while it is closed automatically. I have reopened it for you!

tidester, host
  • Is there any 2005 owners with lemons?
    But it's not coming this way.

King Kong edition of the Touareg SUV (Inside Line)

Steve, Host

• califjohncalifjohn Posts: 101
    when the new VR6 will be offered in the 2006 T-egg? The info I have seen so far indicates "late" but that was last year and there could be changes (one can always hope) to that schedule. Slightly off topic, but I wonder if that will be the same V6 in the base Q7. Anyone out there know? VWGuild?
  • I posted this message in Problems and Solutions but would also like to post here in case that wasn't the right place (my first time posting on these forums).

I am seriously considering purchasing a 2004 V6 Touareg (Premium 2 package) with 17,500 miles. I have read about so many issues in this forum that I'm really hesitating. I love the look and feel of the vehicle but worry about reliability. I'll be using it for some long distance traveling.

1. This car is certified by the dealership. They give my 2 yrs/24,000 additional warranty plus the remainder of the existing warranty. Would a dealership certify a car that has had prior issues?

2. The Carfax History is clean (1 owner, personal use, no accidents, etc.) How reliable are these? I know they won't list VW recalls and don't know if this particular vehicle has ever been recalled.

3. I negotiated to a $29,000 + TTT. Does this sound fair?

4. Finally - the other SUV I'm considering is a pre-owned 2004 Acura MDX Touring. Although I find it boring in comparison, I do think it's more reliable.

I need to make a pretty quick decision. Any insights would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 323
    Certainly, the MDX will be more reliable- but, as you say, boring. Also-it has no off road abilities. So, if you're looking for reliable, comfortable transportation- the MDX is probably the way to go.

The T-reg, by almost all accounts: Looks better, drives better, feels better. Granted- it probably won't be the most reliable vehicle on the road. Many of the 'problems' associated with them in the beginning were more annoyances than serious mechanical issues. That, coupled with dealers that didn't know how to fix this new-fangled vehicle created plenty of issues. On the other hand, I have a few friends now with t-regs, and none have had any serious problems. Sure, the tire pressure guages give false alarms, and there are other imperfections. Oil changes aren't cheap either. Think about: 1. how good of service you think you'll get from this dealer, and 2. how you personally, emotionally handle adversity. If little problems are going to drive you nuts, or will you have a passionate relationship with a truly magnificent, one of a kind, SUV.

Oh- read the extended warranty that they're offering you, and make sure you know what it's truly worth. There are all kinds and prices of aftermarket warranties. Some aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Also-I'm no expert on T-reg pricing, but read the 'prices paid' forum and check out what people are getting brand new ones for. (ther are some great deals out there) Sounds like you might be able to do a tad better on the price.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    As a 2004 V6 Touareg owner since new with 36k miles, I have to ditto what you said, particularly the emotional stuff. Toyotas and Hondas are not totally trouble free, but they are best suited for non-enthusiasts that are interested in reliable transportation. Actually, I've had outstanding reliability and low cost operation over the years with several General Motors vehicles, cars and trucks. Fords, on the other hand, not so much. All the high end stuff has issues, usually related to computers or electrical stuff.

Although I'm a little worried about what happens after the warranty is over (I'm on my 4th cd player), I also know I'm driving exactly the vehicle I wanted. What a joy to drive. By the way, my VW dealer pretty much treats me like a king without my asking. I guess Acura and Lexus are like that too. On the other hand, I dont think VW corporate quite backs up what they've asked the dealers to do. Maybe that will change.
    Does anyone have any word on when we will see the new 280hp V6 in showrooms?
  • From what I've heard Late Summer/Early Fall.
    he he he.
    That's not a 2006 model then. Early fall is when the 2007 models come out (from other companies).

A bit of Trivia. General Motors invented the 'model year' for cars. Great marketing idea!