Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    If I were keeping mine, I might get dedicated ice and snows for winter. All season tires are a little sketchy in the slippery stuff, on any car, compared to the ice and snow tires. Dunlop Winter Sports turned our CTS into a snow hog. Might even take it skiing some time. When I was back east this summer I saw two Touaregs with Michelin Cross Terrains, which have a lot of siping. I've had them on another SUV for years and like them in the snow, even though the tread pattern is not that aggressive. My new Explorer (company car) has the cross terrains and they are pretty quiet. I doubt that they would really take advantage of the handling capability of the Touareg. They howl a bit on hard cornering. They do wear like iron though.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,201
    Facelifted 2007 VW Touareg (Straightline)

The Inside Line story is here:

Paris Preview: Volkswagen Tweaks the Touareg

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• guestguest Posts: 774
    sorry, your wrong according to the VW manual, take another look.
    You sound a bit bitter about your T-Reg.
    I am the biggest pain to satisfy with cars,trucks,Suv's.
    We came to Florida from Vermont with a Jeep Wagoneer Limited, Land Cruiser. WE now have also a Wrangler and a 06 Xterra for my daughter upstate NY in college.
    I read all the bad things about the T-Reg and waited two xtra years til the '06 came out with the excellent help of VW customer service telling me which was the official 'o6.
    I drove one on the dirt,pity the salesman, my wife said,tighten your belt as we took off,with 2 police vehicle watching the fun a s I also drove it dead into a deep sand
    pile. Then put it into 4 x4 and very slowly drove it out.
    Her vehicle was green and taupe,took a plane to a dealer who I spoke with over the phone,he guaranteed me the price,picked me up at the airport with her vehicle,back to the dealeship as I called her and said it looks super. After signing and giving a check,I drove out after reading the break in, I loved it, do not drive the vehicle more than 120 mph the first 3000 miles, I found a dirt 8 lane future highway under construction, so I jumped into it, switched to 4 wheel,called her on the cell,she threaten my life if I got it dirty,only had to drive it 980 miles. Got to the end, on to highway and kicked it in the butt to 3 digits,WOW, I had drive race cars for 9 years for Jaguar,MB amd Dodge. This T-reg at 100+ was grand.
    Got it home,all my kids also got to drive it to school and 16K miles later after two oil changes,THE MAJOR PROBLEM, the garage door opener didnt work,humm, she broke a piece of plastic when putting the rear seats down,my wife drops
    stuff,and the computer just got nuts,which took a service call to fix,my wife destroys brakes, tires, she parks with the go into system,Oh,the first time coming home with the colored light array inside was outstanding,there is too much junk but who cares,it drives great. I tried to get my yougest interested in one but its an old ladys car she
    says. We are still on the first set of brake pads. Her T-Reg is the 6 cyl with the added HP,I think its fine for her,the V8 must be grand but in this country there's nowhere to push it. We are moving back up north to the mountains next year and I will be stealing hers this winter to go skiing with.Oh, I will be changing the tires to a more aggressive tread,there goes 100+.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    I do not know what your service manual says, but for my 2004 Touareg, the oil change intervals are, indeed, 5000 miles. It is possible that's been changed for 2006, because 5000 miles is conservative for synthetic oil, particularly for someone that puts a lot of miles on the car in a year, like I do.

I stand by everything I said. It's all true. You will find out for yourself. I never said the car is not impressive on or off the road. There is nothing on the road that matches it, even today. All that comes at a price, and I'm not willing to pay the money or time to keep it rolling. Oh, and by the way, let me know what you get on it when you trade-in. My dealer offered me 43 percent of MSRP for my 30 month old, 45k mile Touareg. I should have leased it.

It's for sale if you want another one.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Hey wanted to inquire about your replacement touareg, did vw ever give you a new one? I am having a different problem but have been back to the dealership many times, my trans shifts so hard and so jerky the vehicle lunges in traffic, unsafe to drive, wanted to know if VW finally worked with you or not?
    You've probably noticed new discussions appearing all over the forums. What's happening is that we are closing generic, everything-in-one pile discussions like this and creating smaller discussions that deal with specific areas of interest.

You'll find a number of discussions listed at the top level of this group: VW Touareg SUV. When you are ready to post, please check the discussion list there for the appropriate discussion to post in. If there doesn't appear to be a discussion for the issue or problem you have, feel free to create one. We can deal with accidental duplication of topics as things progress.

While you are at the top-level, don't forget to click on Track This Group. You will then be tracking all of the VW Touareg SUV discussions that are here, as well as any new ones as they are created.

Using Read New Posts will mean you won't miss anything on the VW Touareg SUV board. If a discussion pops up which doesn't interest you (or is closed), all you have to do is click on Remove Track within the discussion.

Thanks for your understanding and help in making this group a great resource of information for VW Touareg SUV owners!

Be sure to drop into VW Touareg: Meet the Members! to stay in touch with other members.

tidester, host
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Volkswagen Touareg
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • We have had 3 VW's Jetta, Eurovan, 05 Passat TDI...

My wife wants to be back in a SUV and I am having a hard time justifying the Toureg versus the Chevy Tahoe. Obviously somewhat of an apple to oranges comparison but that's what its come down to.

1) We live in the south so the AWD is not a necesity and we have priced the Tahoe w/wo AWD. Any other thoughts on this?? Is the AWD the reason that so many current owners complain about poor tire life?? and low fuel economy?

2) Are the later models reliability records any better than the 03/04 models??

3) Do you have to use premium unleaded?? Does it void the warranty if you don't?

4) Obviously GM's 100K warranty bests the VW 60K warranty any rumors on VW matching the GM offering....

Help me make sense of all of this...is there a safety advantage (crash protection) that makes the VW a winner?? I have loved our VW products and the service from our dealer has been great (although lately pricey) but for the same $$ or less the Chevy seems to be luring us away from the fold....

Thanks,
    Don
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    You should look at the new "lambdas" from GM. They are due out any day. There are GM, Saturn and Buick versions -Outlook, Acadia, and Enclave.
  • Please, anyone knows what is the total LENGTH of the Toureg cargo area with rear seats DOWN?

Thanks in advance!
  • I have 22 inch wheels and tires used to fit a VW Toureg. If anyones interested please let me know. Paid 2200 willing to let them go for 1500 only on my Cayenne for one week then had to take them off. Let me know.
  • I bought a NEW 2006 Touareg and with 4900 miles I am always getting break squeal. Also, at 55 to 70 MPH I am getting a metallic chirping noise when the accelator is pressed. Anyone else have this problem? Dealers here in CT don't seem to want to help and call this normal.
    Frustrated, Other wise the vehicle is fine.
  • I hope the 2007 Redesign addresses the brake pad noise issue. My NEW 2006 Toureg with 4900 miles has given me a noticable break squeal since the second week I have owned it. I love the vehicle otherwise, but didn't spend a lot of money to be told by the VW Dealer its normal and they can't repair it and I Have to live with it. Anyone else experiencing this issue? Anyone filed a Lemon Law complaint and asked VW to take it back? Please help in CT
    "The Touareg SUV is as sophisticated as it is sexy. But are customers willing to pony upwards of 40 to 60 grand for a VW?"

BusinessWeek

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• doug37doug37 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did anyone respond to you about the Lemon Law issue?
  • brady11brady11 Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem. At low speeds after applying the brakes, I get a squealing noise that comes and goes with the rotation of the wheel. This makes me think there is something wrong with the rotors since something has to be bent or out of alignment. I've taken it in 3 times and they can't figure it out. The worst part is that I can't seem to replicate the noise when I'm at the dealer. For a 40k vehicle it should not sound like a junker. If you find anything out let me know please !!
  • lanelletlanellet Posts: 1
    I had a 2002 VW Jetta for two years traded it in for a VW Passat had it for 2 Months and traded it in for a 2004 Touareg and that SUV gave me problems from DAY 1. I filed a Lemon Law after having it for 6 months. It only took a month for them to tell me that I won my case. That was the happiest day of my life. I was so upside down I thought I would have to give them money to get out of it. They didn't replace it with another one, Thank God!!! They actually gave me $2,400.00 for it so that I could go buy anything I wanted. Do not hesitate to file a Lemon Law it really works. I just printed the form off of the Lemon Law website, filed it out and sent it off. Volkswagen and the Lemon Law people had to inspect it to determine if it was a Lemon or not. As long as you keep all of your service tickets. I had so many brake problems, they had to put new rotors and brakes on my new SUV, imagine that. The brakes looked like the Touareg had been sitting in flood water, they were so rusty. I had many more problems with it also. GOOD LUCK!!
  • noa1noa1 Posts: 7
    Yes and yes I did pony up $ for mine I love it, at my work place my touareg is the only one however several people have the Cayene. I want to know if there's anything special in the Cayene Besides the huge engine and the badge, that will compensate the $'s maybe I need to see beyond skin. I personally think my touareg is much better looking than the cayene I'm hoping that when I'm ready to trade in there's a V6 TDI my next car must be a Diesel I hate to spend too much on fuel. so I want your comments on the benefit of owning a cayene.
  • tashjiantashjian Posts: 4
    I bought my 2004 V6 Touareg when it first came out. Although I have experienced the typical annoying VW electrical issues, there have been no engine or braking problems. The electrical issues were finally solved after multiple visits (again, I chaulk this up to owning a german car so one must adapt to the frustration tolerance). I have it serviced by the book (service is unusually expensive) and I couldn't be happier with the overall product for the money. The fit and finish, standard featurs and driving experience rivals anything in its price range. Be concerned with the gas mileage in the V6, especially at the required premium gas prices. I tried using regular for about 4 months and the reduced gas mileage didn't outweigh the cost. No reduction in performance that I could notice, but I went back to using premium anyway. Besides, when I told the service guy I started using regular, he almost fainted.
    "For now, the only SUV in the Volkswagen lineup continues to be the Touareg. Ambition comes in waves, and these updates to the 2008 Volkswagen Touareg constitute less of a reinvention than a refinement of a uniquely capable SUV."

First Drive: 2008 Volkswagen Touareg (Inside Line)

image image

• jblaze13jblaze13 Posts: 152
    Looks nice. They would have to put a diesel in it for me to consider. I don't mean a V10 Diesel either; something regular folks might be able to afford.
  • dontudaredontudare Posts: 12
    You mention that it was relatively easy to repair the bulbs in your VW - any suggestions on the Passat 2004?
  • drfilldrfill Posts: 2,484
    But I gotta say, this vehicle typifies VW's self-destruction in the US Market. Rumblings are that they have less than 5 years left here, if they don't turn it around, and things in the US are gonna get worse, with loads like the Touareg being sent here. ;)

Let's stay off the stupid name, which is hard, for a minute. This vehicle is the size of a RX350 (actually an inch bigger), but has less interior space than a Rav4! I'm over 6', and I don't really fit in the back seat.

Cargo space is again in the Rav4, not RX range (71 cubes to 85 for the Lexus RX).

This thing weighs a MINUMUM of 1000lbs more than the Lexus (the Photon had the same affliction, which kinda hurts efficiency, which the Lexus excels at, and the market demands). This nullifies any power advantage.

And it is as expensive as the Lexus, but doesn't offer the luxury marque Lexus does. Nor the heritage of quality.

It's marketing doesn't even tie in with the vehicle.

Affordable is back? Compared to what? The only way someone would buy it is if VW totally subvented the lease to make it reasonably affordable. 0% is still a bad investment when it comes to this vehicle, unless you go off-road frequently.

And the quality isn't sending anybody back to the drawing boards either (except for maybe VW).

And now they want to build a bigger (3 rows of seats) SUV BELOW it, and above the other SUV, with the other stupid name I can't summon up right now. :confuse:

This is probably the stupidest vehicle on the market right now.

And the sad part is, it's is really a great vehicle on paper. Great ride, luxurious, powerful, great off-road.

VW has one hell of a nerve even thinking about selling this $40k+ bomb here. It is poorly conceived, is heavily compromised in space and efficiency, doesn't fit anywhere near their portfolio, and will easily be superceded by any $30k SUV in any form of Value. :lemon:

It has Range Rover talent, and a Pontiac brain. A great rental car, but one of the dumbest purchases anyone could make.

The rest of VW's line-up is showing an equally inept market strategy, and the loss of the Photon is only Step 1 in this marque's ultimate departure fom the US. If this is what the uS will get from VW, it can't come a day too soon.

Now ask me how I really feel...... :mad:

DrFill

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Why don't you take this back to your post here: drfill, "Luxury Lounge" #3845, 19 Jul 2007 10:40 pm or else to an appropriate Automotive News discussion.

We'd sure appreciate it if we could keep the model-specific discussions focused on the model itself and take the brand critiques to the discussions about the, um, brands. I b'lieve you and I have talked about this a few times before... ;)
  • malcolmtmalcolmt Posts: 1
    the cayenn is a vw touereg same frame and chasis the only thing thats difrent is engine and the name iv'e did my research and inspections dont buy german cars research study said japenease cars are the most reliable cars most german cars met average reliability ratings mercedesbenze was worst out of german cars in reliability mercedes is the worlds most expensive :lemon: and all ther cars didnt meet a 1 out of 5 in reliabilty and just to say my mom owned a 2007 mercedes benz s class it cut off at the light the day she got it. she exchanged it for a mecedes benz e class bletec the steering failed on her took it back she asked for her money back they said no we only do exchanges we filled limon law mercedes benz had to compensate her 79000 doller dont ever buy mercedes
  • Big big problem.....

I am writing car review for Touareg. I am now in my 2nd V-10 Twin Turbo Diesel Touareg (THE FIRST ONE I DROVE FOR 100 MILES BEFORE IT HAD ELECTRICAL MELTDOWN) Even after spending $60,000 and owning the car for two days and driving it just 100 miles, VW tried to force it on me after it had been in the shop for almost a month, turned out it took 7 weeks to fix car and after 30 days in the shop, it qualified for a LEMON and they were forced to give me a new car.

This is such a long story and don’t want to bore you with all the details but I bought the car at Commonwealth in Santa Ana CA and between them and VW corporate, it has been a nightmare. The Service Manager at Commonwealth is the only person worth mentioning that is decent human being

Problems include but not limited too

Brakes
    Electrical
    Rattles
    Squeaks
    Doors locks
    Odometer tracks 10-12% Faster than car is traveling meaning your warranty expires faster, your car needs service faster and it depreciates faster!!!!!

Please know I LOVED this car and in my opinion, there is not another SUV on the market that looks, as good but please do not buy this car on looks alone because you will be terribly disappointed.

BE AWARE: BE AWARE: BE AWARE: BE AWARE:

THE STEERING WHEEL DOES NOT LINE UP WITH THE DRIVERS SEAT OR THE DASHBOARD GAUGES!!!!!

ONCE YOU START DRIVING CAR, YOU MAY EXPERIENCE BACK AND SHOULDER PAIN BECAUSE YOUR BODY IS OUT OF ALIGNMENT. IF YOU DOUBT WHAT I AM SAYING, JUST GO SIT IN ONE, THEY ARE ALL THIS WAY AND VW IS DENYING IT. THEY SAY IT IS WITHIN SPEC BUT THE SPEC IS WRONG. THE AIRBAGS ALSO COULD FAIL YOU BECAUSE YOU’RE NOT SITTING STRAIGHT....

I have retained an attorney and contacted LA Times and all the automotive magazines to try and get the word out to potential buyers. Problem is you don’t notice it on a short test-drive, it is only when you start driving for a couple hours a day you start getting all the symptoms. I will fight until the end. VW Corporate up to this point has snubbed me and offered no solution to the problem and I have a so-called luxury vehicle that when I drive, I am totally uncomfortable.

If you want more info, just email me, I am happy to explain this and many other issues like brakes squeak, doors rattle, and parts pop-off easily, etc… If you buy this car, you will be sorry!! I promise!
  • Squertin, what year are these V-10's?