Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• I ordered my T-reg in the third week of Oct 2003 and it's here. Took three months to the west coast. Depending on how quickly the order is filled (function of the exact model/config one orders), luck in the timing of shipping and trucking, and one's location in the US, it'll take from 2 -4 months for one's car to get here.

I agree completely about the $50K impulse-buy observation.

mmee1: nice post! I hope to be joining the happy T-reg crowd soon.
  • 1257212572 Posts: 7
    I am hooked! Currently drive an Audi A6 2.7t. Have been reading the posts here and thought why not?. Drove the V8 and V6. The V8 has a lot of power and the engine note was pure music. The V6 IS a little slower off the line. Now, I am not one who races around, although did kick up those bi turbos on the Audi on occasions. Would like to hear from folks with V6- are you happy with acceleration on an everyday basis? I am not going to race or drop it in 24" of water or climb rocks. Please comment.
    MR in Indy
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    The V8 is a rocket, however if you're not an aggressive driver, the 6 is plenty. I think its definately peppier than a 6 cyl Grand Cherokee or Explorer. Evaluate your needs; you'll get a better discount on a 6, too.
  • I have 4900 miles on my V-6, and can say that it has plenty of pep for average driving. I live in a hilly area in No. Cal, and it gets around just fine. I find that when I'm getting on the highways, I either go into tiptronic and shift through the gears, or use the "S" position. In any event, I'm at 80 MPH and passing just about everyone else with no trouble. You will have to use the gears a little more, I imagine, than if you had the V-8, which you could just leave in drive and floor it. But, half the fun is working the gears. The car handles great on winding roads. I test drove the 8 first, and will admit that it was much faster. But, in the end, I didn't really need the additional power. I just need to get in and out of the snow, which the 6 does just fine.
  • I have had my Touareg for two months now and have put 4000 miles on it. This car has been nothing but a joy to drive. me and my wife commute to work together and when we bought this car we were just going to use it for the weekends. well our BMW 325i wagon has sat in the same spot since we brought the rag home. it's comfortable responsive peppy and just fun to drive. we do on occasion here a whistle sound at hi speeds ( 80 + miles per hour) but such is life. We found if you roll the window down then up it stops. But I wouldn't call it a complaint, we love the car to much. If you are considering a purchase ignore the na sayers and get one now . Im sure you wont regret it.
  • I have had a 6 for just over 3 weeks, I went to the dealer planning to drive both the 6 and the 8, but after driving the 6 I was convinced it was enough. I have a bass boat and jet ski that I have to use a 4 wheel drive vehicle to take in and out of the lake behind my house. It has worked perfectly so far.

H
  • elemintelemint Posts: 79
    Why the hell is there no 2.5TDI in the states????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    This really pisses me off. I would by this car today if they made the 2.5TDI here in the states. Not only is it disapointing for a potential buyer but irresponsible in a conservation sense!! Look at the NUMBERS!!

Fuel Consumption
        Urban 21.4mpg - 13.2l/100km
        Extra-urban 36.2mpg - 7.8l/100km
        Combined 28.2mpg - 9.8l/100km
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I think there are more dignified ways of expressing frustration and they would be more appealing to our general readership.

tidester, host
  • vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    First of all, there is a huge, and I mean HUGE, prejudice in the US v. Diesel..."Oh! it smells bad, all that black smoke, and it is soooo noisy."

Very unsophisticated, Americans are when it comes to this technology...Even the Feds are throwing one billion USD @ Hydrogen...Any idea just how much energy it would take to produce a usable quantity of hydrogen? And, where does it get stored @ -425 degrees? Diesel technology has been thoroughly embraced in Europe...1.0L TDIs getting in excess of 100 MPG. In 2006 all sulpher will have been removed from our diesel fuel, and we will have ALL of our TDIs here...

But, we will still have spent all of that money on hydrogen...Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any idea just how much energy it would take to produce a usable quantity of hydrogen?

Yes. The energy cost is ZERO if you use solar energy to generate the electricity to separate the hydrogen from H2O. Wind power, hydroelectricity and nuclear energy would also offer viable options.

And, where does it get stored @ -425 degrees?

Why would anyone store H2 cryogenically when it's totally unnecessary? All you need to do for automotive purposes is store it at modest pressure or in combination with an adsorbing material such as platinum. We aren't talking about rockets that require the highest density of hydrogen they can get.

tidester, host
  • spockcatspockcat Posts: 100
    If it was as cheap and easy as you make it sound, someone would be doing it already and the world would beat a path to his door.
  • . . .it was an E Class car. It had a five speed automatic. I drove it between Munich and Garmisch, on the autobahn (down and back).

I was able to easily achieve 200kph (124+ mph). I sat the cruise control for a time @ 180 (110+mph) because it felt "about right."

The time was early fall, the a/c was required, I was with my friend and we had two suitcases in the trunk.

There was no smell, no indication period that this was a diesel, except the fuel supply did not drop as rapidly as my high velocity ways would have suggested.

Moreover, my wife and I took the Audi Winter driving course in Seefeld Austria and the cars they chose to use for the classes were A4 2.5TDI's with 6spd stick shifts. Again, even starting the cars after all night in the bitter cold seemed "gasoline" normal. The torque was better than the gas versions I have driven and or owned other than the 2.7T engine equipped models.

Diesels have few, if any, drawbacks that I can -- at the current level of technology -- enumerate.

I read that US diesel fuel is, presently, too dirty to be used in a modern German diesel -- but, that this dirty fuel will be replaced over the next year or two (here in the US) with European quality (cleaner, i.e.) fuel.

My recollection of the Jetta diesel (which was in the early 80's) was positively cemented when we drove from Cincinnati, Ohio to Petosky, Michigan (to go skiing) with four adults and their luggage (an 11 hour drive) and only stopped once for fuel. Since that time, I have hoped for the VW/Audi group to bring some of the most excellent diesel outfitted cars to the US since my experiences with them in Germany and Austria have been "the best of both worlds" -- high torque and great milage.

Bring 'em on.
    If it was as cheap and easy as you make it sound, someone would be doing it already and the world would beat a path to his door.

The question was about the cost of the energy needed to produce hydrogen along with the unreasonable assumption that hydrogen would have to be stored cryogenically. The energy is cheap but, of course, the cost of setting up the infrastructure for delivery and so on is not negligible.

tidester, host
  • vwguildvwguild Posts: 1,620
    I may be wrong, but I do not believe that Americans are really very fond of nuclear power plants...That leaves coal or oil...And that closes the circle on this...

Mark...As is quite common..."Prejudice" is based on ignorance, and that is the situation with Diesel Technology and it's benefits in 2004...When we eliminate the sulpher from our Diesel #2(2006), as they have in Europe, the light will magically come on...
  • st4s03st4s03 Posts: 9
    Just checking to see if any listers have dealer experience in the Denver area with discounting the V6. Also any comments on V6 performance climbing the mountain grade and high altitude?
  • mmee1mmee1 Posts: 19
    Did not notice any drop off in performance. Four people and the back filled with gear and it felt great to me. Tiptronics on a steep, snowy, winding section at about 6K ft, it moved out nicely. Now, I was not trying to pass everyone, but I could keep the rpms right where I wanted and the thing felt like it wanted to climb.
  • roweerowee Posts: 21
    In Europe V-6 considered sluggish to say the least.No demand for this engine type(used successfully on other VW models;Golf, Passat)Personally i would go for the v-8 or wait for the "super" car the V-10. V-6 owners,who bought their T-Reg a year ago are trying to replace them. The car (with offroad pack)is simply too heavy , and the torque (305Nm at 3200rpm.) not sufficient.

Remote problems; Works fine for 50`+ from ALL angels. Doors,rear hatch etc. can be set via the Main menu-Convenience Set-up(page 23 in "controls and equipment)
  • elemintelemint Posts: 79
    V-6 is not selling in europe because there is a v-6TDI option, period. In fact they cant make the v6TDI fast enough. As for here, nobody who bought a v6 is going to upgrade for a v8 unless they are a wealthy teen aged. $5k more for a few more horse power in a car that is not made to go fast is foolish, and the mpg is much worse. IT is the the transmit ion that matters when it comes to weight, NOT the engine. Land rover has been making 4 cylinders for land rovers for 50 years. One last point. Even edmunds did not like the V8 and said it was to jumpy ie too much power. Bigger is NOT better.
  • roweerowee Posts: 21
    Its really a 5 cylinder TDI engine with 174bhp and torque of 400Nm at only 2000rpm.This engine has less horse power then the v-6 but its performance(with the higher torque at lower rpm`s)is far superior to the v-6. So i agree with elemint ,Bigger is NOT better.
    Incidently, European consumers who shop for petrol engine on the T-Reg will opt for the V-8
    and will not settle for a Diesel as implied in ms g.#1677
  • jd1318jd1318 Posts: 7
    elemint, i couldn't disagree with you more. first of all i don't consider myself wealthy, but i considered $5k for the v8 option a bargain.

first of all it's not $5k for just a few more horsepower, it's 90 more horsepower, over 40% more coming from a luxury grade engine that powers the $70k audi a8. and when your talking about a 5300# vehicle that makes a big difference. but lets not forget everything else that goes along with the v8 option, like leather interior, 12 way power driver and passenger seats with lumbar, bigger wheels and tires, etc. as far as the gas mileage being much worse, it's not, there's a 1 mpg differance. and edmunds saying they did not like the v8 is just false. they said, "no one would dare argue against the buttery v8 that offers more than enough power. it is a terrific engine and it's 310 horsepower moves the 5300 pound suv with authority." they did say the throttle was a little jumpy in stop and go type driving. this is because of the electronic (drive by wire) throttle pedal, it took me about 500 miles to get used to it and now i can drive my treg as smooth as any car i've ever driven. if edmunds had put in enough seat time i'm sure they would agree.

bottom line , when you consider it's $2600 for a nav system, $5k for the v8 option is a steal.