Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• mmee1mmee1 Posts: 19
    I guess I can say a dealer name here as long as I do not list individual names. My dealer is Bob Lewis VW on Capitol Expressway in San Jose, CA.
  • mikeri2mikeri2 Posts: 1
    VW's website claims that the V6 AWD 2.3l model gets 18/26 mpg, yet the EPA, KBB, and Edmunds sites claim 15/20 mpg.

Which one is right? Who's lying? :)

I'm seriously considering one of these.

Also... Will the 2005 be worth waiting for? Any anticipated improvements? Hybrid? :)

Thanks in advance
    Mike
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    The VW.com lists the 3.2L V6 at 15/20. Possibly you're looking at the wrong vehicle or the european vw site?

Won't be any hybrids from VW. They've already stated they have no intention of developing this, and I wouldn't hold my breath for any european manufacturer to do it. Their diesel models are the bread and butter in the rest of the world.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    As of a couple of weeks ago, vw.com did, indeed list 18/26 for the 3.2 liter v6. It appears they've fixed their faux pas. By the way, my v6 Touareg averages 16-18mpg in mixed driving, and about 20mpg in steady highway driving at 70-80 mph. This is with good premium (shell) and about 1mpg less with cheap gas that I think has more ethanol in it.
  • bcj2bcj2 Posts: 17
    Mine is Browns in Richmond

By the way, they suddenly got the airbag in; installed it + everything seems ok...of course, they forgot to call me + tell me the veh was ready..typical
    I had my 1st long trip w/ the toureg this weekend. Both on the ride down + on the ride back, the transmission had the same problem - after being on the hwy @ ~65mph for 2 hrs, the transmission made a loud thump noise + vibration when slowing down off the hwy. I looked at the gear indicator each time I heard the thump + noticed the veh in 4th gear both times.

Anyone else notice this? Thoughts?
  • I noticed small 1/2" burn marks and a tad of a discoloration to a good amount of my muffler. I am not a gear head so sorry for this but its not the muffler pipe its the main portion thats exposed on the back bottom of the car. I asked the dealer if it was a concern since it was purchased in December. My thought was that if its showing signs of "wear" now what will it look like in a year and god forbid what will happen within the year. The sevice guy told me it was "working" correctly... but I didnt get a good response really that made me feel safe.

My question to all of you is... is this safe? Have any of you encountered this? Is this a VW thing?

Thanks!
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    Ummm, mufflers do get hot, and it does discharge unburnt and burnt fuels, so it will leave some carbon deposit and make it look black. But more to your question, it gets quite hot, so discoloration is more of norm than exception.
  • Yeah, I get the idea of the hot as by touch its boiling. But for it to start discoloring and show a yellowish tint seems a little too soon for it to start after a little over a half of a year. I know the response to this is to just talk to the dealer or vw again but just want to know if its something others have had...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    seems a little too soon for it to start

I'm surprised it's gone that long without discoloration. How many miles did you say you have on it?

tidester, host
  • I have about 8k on it now. Just city driving it for about 2 hours a day. Help at all?
    I've read where people have tried various remedies such as cleansers. Perhaps someone here has had a similar experience and can help you out. Anyone?

tidester, host
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    My Trooper has or had similar discoloration. Spots all over it. The exhaust is supposed to be stainless steel on the trooper, so I assumed it was the way the stainless steel reacts to the heat vs. a standard exhaust.

I haven't looked recently, but sounds similar to what I noticed. I will check tonight. I am not sure if the touareg has stainless steel exhaust, but it may given the fact it is designed to run in high water?
    I believe the mufflers are stainless. My understanding is that surface contaminants (oil, etc.) may not be fully removed when the steel is processed and become discolored when heated.

tidester, host
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I checked mine, but alas it is 5 years old and it looks much more like a "normal" exhaust, however there is some spots near the tailpipe that have the spotting. I seem to remember it looked that way very soon after purchase.

I would guess the discoloration is due to the type of steel. I remember the spotting was on the muffler and on the pipes as well.
  • spockcatspockcat Posts: 100
    Muffler discolorization:

This is from the production process. No big deal. It can be removed with some oil and steel wool or a product called Barkeeper's Friend. I cleaned mine about 12,000 miles ago and the discolor hasn't returned.

Mileage discrepancey:

Error on VW's website now corrected. STUFF happens.

Remote range:

There is a TSB to correct this. VW57-04-04. I now have about a 40 foot range from the rear where it was only 5 feet before. Warranty service.

Airbag light:

I haven't had this problem but I know of many other owners who have. VW usually replaces wiring harness under the driver's seat because of possible fraying. An issue that VW is fixing. (This is a new model afterall).

Air compressor:

The steel spring model has a portable one next to the spare tire. The air suspension model has a built in compressor under the car I believe under the passenger seat area. There are two air tanks in the car and their is a fitting under the passenger seat to use the portable air hose that is located under the rear driver's side passenger seat.

Small buttons on rear of steering wheel:

One is to turn the steering wheels lighting on/off. The other is for the heated steering wheel option. Both buttons appear on all steering wheels regardless of whether you have a heated steering wheel or not.

Exact house number in navigation:

This is not really an issue. I can tell you from experience with a Garmin iQue 3600 my wife uses, entering the exact house number will only get you to within the basic area. So Bosch/Blaupunkt is facing up to the fact that they can't tell EXACTLY when to stop.

VW Service:

I use Crowley in Plainville, CT and have had excellent service. Not every dealer gives excellent service. Not every service person knows exactly what they are talking about. That is unfortunate but unavoidable with VW currently.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Posts: 139
    service issues aren't brand specific but rather dealership specific. If you encounter an incompetant service writer who incorrectly writes your repair order, how is the tech supposed to fix your car?

Communication is the key. Communication from the owner to the writer, the writer to the tech, and from VWoA to the dealers.
  • mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Posts: 156
    Someone on clubtouareg mentioned a 241 hp v6. Has anyone else heard of this??
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Posts: 266
    there is a built in "margin of error" in consumer based gps systems for national security purposes. I believe the margin of error is still set at 15 feet.
    You are correct w/ all of your info as I've been digging.

P.S. I grew up in Southington