Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    I think this is the message:

kkollwitz Jun 1, 2003 5:22pm

There's another post over in the Montana discussion that suggests checking the grounds too.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    Let me add that even if you get the mechanism all nicely lubed, you may still find the arms sticking up when you turn the wipers off because the mechanism has gotten out of phase. What ya gotta do is turn the ignition key to accessory, run the wipers on intermittent, then turn the key off when the wipers pause (which should incorrectly be "up" instead of "down"). Then take the crank arm off the wiper motor, manually set the wipers "down" where they're supposed to be during the pause (don't let the motor turn when you do this), retighten the crank, then turn the wipers on again. That ought to reset them. Put briefly, the governing circumstance is when the wipers are pausing between strokes when the wipers are set to intermittent.
  • dave231dave231 Posts: 17
    Well,my transmission needed only some new solenoids. Also, I know some of you have had smelly a/c's. What I think the problem is a/c water leaking down behind carpet, I have been fighting this problem for some time now.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,006
    Good news about the solenoids.

Try the technique listed in this thread for your A/C:

wwest "Mazda Tribute/ Ford Escape problems" Aug 8, 2002 1:55pm

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have 2000 Olds silhouette. The passenger side side view mirror has cracked and I am wondering if anyone on this board have any experience in replacing the side view mirror. The mirror housing itself is fine and I just need to get information as to how to replace the mirror itself if possible by the owner. The dealer is asking $100 for the job.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    I replaced the mirror on my Crown Vic a few years ago. I pried the cracked mirror off (either used a screwdriver or just pulled on it),and the new mirror popped onto two screw-driven adjusters (one for up/down, one for r/l). The mirror cost about $15 and took maybe 10 minutes to install.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Posts: 168
    Auto windshield shops will do this repair for a lower price than the dealer. I had one done for a sideview mirror on an Olds Delta 88 for $20. Granted, the van's sideview is larger and will cost a little more. If the mounting is similar to the 88's mounting, meaning a solid surface, it is just a matter of glueing a pre-cut mirror to the surface and using some blue tape until the glue dries.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I like the new Sienna, MPV, and T&C and Grand Caravan better but these triplets take a respectable 4th place out of about nine minivans (Odyssey, Euro Van, Windstar, new Quest, Caravan/Voyager lag behind) in my ratings. In 1996-1999, these minivans were my favorite.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    My 01 Venture was in the shop for an A/C system repair. The condenser had developed a large leak and need to be replaced. It was done under my extended warranty, thank goodness $790 repair cost me $100 deductible.
    At any rate the shop said they were supprised GM hasn't issued a recall on this part, because they see it as a common problem on these vans. I was suprised because I hadn't heard any discussion here about it. Anyone else had similar problems?
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Posts: 461
    Since the condenser sits in the front of the vehicle and is exposed to what ever is thrown at it, I tend to believe that it was just hit by a rock or something else. If the repair shop told you that this is a common problem then you should ask them to put that in writing and contact GM. Why should you have to pay the deductible of $100.00 if this is a known problem? I have dealt with GM on other repair matters and they have always treated me fairly.

Remember, before you contact GM know what you want them from them and conduct the conversation in an adult manner. Compromise is the art of negotiation not anger. Good Luck.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    just4fun2, good advice on how to deal with GM (or anyone).

Generally, GM will not do a post warranty goodwill payment on a repair covered by an extended service plan. Thinking is, that they would ask the owner to contribute to the cost of repair anyways, so they would have paid anyways.
    Yes, I agree that they will always ask you to pay something for a repair, but I would point out the fact that I am already paying part of the repair bill (by purchasing the extended maintenance agreement )and to pay the deductible for a problem that this vehicle is known to have across the board is unacceptable. They will never put their best offer on the table first, they want to leave some wiggle room for later.

Also, the dealer is usually no help and forget those telephone numbers in the owners manual. I go online and look up the names and addresses or phone numbers of the people at the top of the company. I write a letter or fax it to them and wait for the results, maybe I am just lucky but it works for me.
  • jarrettwjarrettw Posts: 14
    Good morning all, I have a 98 Silo GLS with the factory alarm. Recently, for no apparent reason, the alarm will sound. I went through the manual and decreased the system sensitivity but it hasn't helped. Has anyone else had this problem. Any information is greatly appreciated.
  • pkciccopkcicco Posts: 13
    And I thought it was only me. My 98 GLS and my 2001 GLS both had the same problem. They just go off in the middle of the night. 5 Beeps and stop. Well on the fourth visit to the dealer with the 98, a different mechanic went right to the contact points on the power sliding door, cleaned the contacts and the problem stopped. When my 2001 started doing it after the first year, I cleaned the contacts with WD40 and it stopped. Hope it works for you.
  • tauberjtauberj Posts: 61
    Hi, I have a 2000 Silhouette with a buzzing turn signal. I bought a new one from the dealer, but cannot locate it under the dash. I assume it is behind the guage cluster or there abouts because that is where the buzzing comes from. Has anyone had this happened to them to confirm my diagnosis. If so, how do I get to it to change it. Thanks. PS I has the lower dash panel and left-side panel off, but still could not locate the flasher unit. I think it is on top of the column.
    This is out of my 2002 Silhouette manual....Yours being a 2000 might be different.

Turn Signal/Hazard Flasher Module is....Below the IP(instrument panel),above the base of the steering column, left side of the steering column. It looks like it is on top of the steering column under the dash. If you can hear it buzzing, then I think you should be able to feel it under there while it is buzzing. I make no claim as to the accuracy of these instructions, use at your own risk. Good luck.
  • tauberjtauberj Posts: 61
    Thanks for your repsonse. That sounds about right, but I cannot see or feel it. I remember a time when the flasher was located next to the fuse panel on cars. But those simpler days are past I guess. I'll give it another try.
  • jarrettwjarrettw Posts: 14
    Paul, thanks. I'll give it a try tonight. jarrett
  • 4wheeler54wheeler5 Posts: 5
    We have had our Venture for about a week after getting it used (120K) I am fairly happy so far except for a couple of things - I'm getting a hesitation and slight "bucking" feeling from the engine when excelerating or at cruising speeds (all speeds) feels like the engine is missing but suspecting its a dirty fuel injector. Any thoughts? Last thing , and its minor is the passengers arm rest sits too low as if it was foced down or sat upon at one time. I'm hoping I can take it apart and have it "park" a couple of inches higher?
  • hhua1hhua1 Posts: 41
    2000 Silhouette with only 29,600 miles and 38 months of ownership has the driver side rear air shock that leaks oil/grease and needs to be replaced ($90 from dealer). GM would not pay for since the van is out of the 36 months bumper to bumper warranty, and shock is considered as normal wear and tear item. We have GM Major Guard plan but shock is not cover under the plan.

What a bummer to have the air shock replaced that early.

Also the van starts to have the famous loud tapping noise at start up, after sit overnight, but quiet after oil get fully circulated. Dealer considered this is normal for now.

The temperature gauge sometimes goes to the third knot (the one above the middle knot) when the air conditioner is not on. Dealer checked and said that the fan kick in between 224-226 degree, with the air conditioner on, and the coolant sensor is fine. I will have to monitor or test this when I have a chance.