Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• I have tried different dealers and GM is involved. They here the noise and have done over the whole undercarriage. They are clueless and will not change any parts because everything LOOKS good. If it doesn't look broken they will not change it. They just don't know.
  • A magazine reporter is looking to interview automotive technophiles who have DVD players, MP3 players, satellite radio and/or surround systems in their cars and cannot wait for the next big thing to come so they can add it to their rolling entertainment centers.
    Please respond no later than Wednesday, February 4 to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info, make/model of vehicle and a sense of the entertainment technology you have and aspire to own.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• The TBS that I quoted only involves drilling 4 holes and installing 4 pop rivets. The whole procedure is rated at .5 hours. I know that service reps/mngrs can be impossible to deal with, but as a goodwill, do something for the customer, GM should do this.

I think that I would keep going higher up the GM chain until I get to the top. I would think that the dealership would try this and if it didn't work, absorb that half hour labor(plus the cost of 4 rivets), to satisfy a customer.

Good Luck.
  • I have a Chev Lumina APV with the 3.4 L engine. It seems to still be going strong at 170,000 kms. I had to change the transmission at 110,000 kms, however that is the only big problem I have had. I noticed a small amount of coolant leaking about a year ago. My mechanic added some stop leak and everything has been fine since then. As there has been no major problems so far and the resale value is so low I may as well keep it for at least another year. After that I don't know what I will purchase.
    My other car is a 98 Honda CRV that has had no problems with about the same mileage as the Van. I feel like I could easily get double the mileage out of the CRV. However the Chev van, I don't think so.
  • indrgbindrgb Posts: 115
    Re: crash. Glad to hear that you are okay. Me personally, it would bug me knowing about all the parts that were replaced, but they are not really welded structural parts. I would make sure that the van drives at least as good as or even better than before the accident. Then I would see what you could get out of it on trade. Expect to be disappointed. Try 3 or 4 dealers. Do lots of research on Edmunds and others before going to a dealer. If they won't give you enough for it, you could try selling it yourself. If it doesn't work out, just drive it and don't sweat it.
  • Door Lock have been quiet for a while till my wife got lock in the back seat because the child proof locks in the back seat were flip on, I let her out and flip them off, that started the problem back up again.
    Door locks work on their own 2001 Olds Silhouette the door lock go on and off (up & down) on their own sometimes while the van is just parked/off, other times while going down the road? They will not do this in the shop / the dealer can not fix, only does this every few months, but when it does, it happens a lot and is very fast many times for a min. or two?
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Posts: 168
    Our 2001 Olds Silo's Transmission failed at around 23K miles. The dealer's mechanic rebuilt the tranny instead of installing a remanufactured GM one. I guess it was at the dealer's discretion and I was ok with them doing it in-house. It has worked fine since last September when the work was done. We are now at 30K.
  • baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    It is me or what, I just broke my second keyfob !!! They seems to break at the "eyelet" very easily.

At first my dealership refused to replace it under the warranty but I've found that their is a TSB covering it ( 03-08-52-003 Apr 03 )

So they are on order, geez you feel good when you win a battle once and awhile !!!
  • 01 Olds Silhouette Van has Intermittent Barely Audible Buzzing noise from R Rear or R rear side of Van it is a low level sound, will happen 1st time in the day at the 1/4 to 3/4 mi range.
    Note:It is Not the ABS self-check and Not the Air shock
  • n7donn7don Posts: 188
    The 98 Montana has a safety warning buzzer that will activate if the power sliding door is open and the vehicle is put in gear. It's kind of a 'sick' sounding buzzer, not very loud. Might see if this is the noise source.
  • dlubindlubin Posts: 66
    They had it for a week, we got it back and now it's in the shop again - the gear-lever doesn't line up properly, and the shift interlock doesn't work (so you can pull it out of gear without pressing the brake).

I'm enjoying the rental Grand Caravan, perhaps too much!
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    I am looking for any info in regards to the power passenger side door, as far as recalls and TSB's go. My door for the last several months would not close on the first try about 35% of the time. It would get 99% closed then stop and reverse. I did not worry about this until today. My wife told me that today on her way home from work the door spontaneously opened while driving on the freeway. Happily my kids were not with her at the time. Now I am seriously concerned about the safety of the door. I would like to arm myself with all the TSB and recall info before I go into the dealer. Thanks to all for any info.
  • lct1lct1 Posts: 21
    02 and 03 Recall to replace motor . Door opening on its own might be latch needs to be replaced or aligned. Seems everyone I have talked to that the door opened on its own the latch seems to be the problem. I have had both done to my 02 Venture. Latch due to opening on its own while driving, Motor was recalled for defective cable. Door sometimes will stop in midstream except when at dealer. Check with your dealer for your year about recall or repair. Dirty contacts, dirt in tract, misalignment will cause problems also.
    Go to: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.c- - fm and search for your vehicle. The full text of the recall is there.
    NHTSA # 01v06700 was the first and
    NHTSA # 01v26400 was a recall of the recall, if I recall.
    Never had a problem with the power door on the 98 Montana. On occasion it will forget it's a power door and must be opened/closed manually. The next engine start it works. There's actually a procedure in the owners' manual on resetting the door but I've never had to resort to using it.
  • Keep in mind, if you are concerned about the door, just shut it off and use it manually.
  • I have a '97 pontiac montana(82k) that's making a rattling noise that's seemingly coming from the front of the engine. I've had water pumps make this kind of noise on other vehicles, but I'm not sure on these Montanas. Does a failing water pump on these vehicles make a rattling noise? I've also developed the infamous "Tick At Start Up." Also, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's done the lower intake gasket themselves.(Degree of difficulty etc.)
    "I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's done the lower intake gasket themselves.(Degree of difficulty etc"
    Changed the lower gasket on a 98 Montana w/97K miles about 2 months ago. The leak was small but visable. The project was more tedious than difficult. The engine has to be rocked forward to give more room to get to the rear area. Push rods have to come out. Every assy and connector has to be removed. You'll need a couple torque wrenches and an assortment of metric/English sockets/wrenches and extensions.
    I'd recommend using the latest release GM gasket and coated bolts. I used Felpros. They looked like the OE gasket. The new release does look different.
    While you have the upper manifold off, the alternator will come out by removing the wiper arm. The thermostat can be replaced. You can check the rear plugs.... you can get to the upstream O2 sensor.
    Fortunately I had access to a service manual that gave me the "courage" to tackle the job.
    If you decide to DIY, email me off-list and I can send a photo of the chain I made to hold the engine rocked forward plus any other tips.
    A comment on the cold start tick. Not sure why but after changing the gasket, the intensity of the tick was lower. Also mine seems to get worse near the end of the 4000 mile oil change cycle.
  • hhua1hhua1 Posts: 41
    Refer to msg# 679, 685, 687, 690, 692, 713, 736.

The 00' Silo 37K miles loud tapping noises last longer, up to 60 secs, when startup cold in the morning. Took to the dealer, let it sat overnight, they can hear the noises.

The dealer tried replaced the lifters but the noise didn't do away. They disassembled the engine and determined excessive clearance in the piston areas, that the engine required rebuild or replaced with a factory rebuilt. GM Tech came out inspected the engine and approved for a engine replacement.

The rebuilt seems to doing fine so far. It cames with a three years and 50K miles warrantee.

I do have GM Major Guard extened warrantee, this has helped a bit, I think.
  • Hope your rattle isn't like mine...

What I thought was a bad water pump turned out to be the transmission pump disintegrating to the tune of $1800 for a rebuild...

Mechanic said he had seen several like mine.

Mikey
  • jpc47jpc47 Posts: 62
    Sorry to hear about your tranny Mickey.
    I have a problem with my wipers. They want to shut off in the full upright position. I'm hoping tommorrow they reset themselves. I have 96000 miles on my 98 Venture, seems to be doing ok.