Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

1474849505153»

Comments

• Venture and Montana are the same year by year for the most part. I can't remember when the mid cycle was done so it might matter between the 2 years. Steering gear should work so long as the same year. Sorry for not being precise.
  • Had to replace mine too. I purchased the direct fit and installed it myself. Only problem encountered are rusted bolts connecting with the muffler, just used air grinder cutter to cut it and purchased the bolts and nuts needed.
  • Used copper seal for a steaming problem and antifreeze leaking smell on a 1997 venture with about 120k and has been two years now( knock on wood) not too into a tear down myself.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    With car parked, and key turned to accessory (engine not running) I hear a soft thump from under the dash in front of the glovebox. It sounds like a shutting a cigar box, and will repeat a couple of times a minute as though something were opening and closing. I can also hear it by raising the hood...seems to come from behind the washer fluid tank.

It also thumps when engine is running.
  • Hello; I have the same problem, did you ever find the solution? If so would you please help me to remove mine?
    thanks
    Don donbarber@insightbb.com
  • This may be no help, because somebody else removed and reinstalled my glovebox latch (I don't know how). But that didn't fix the problem. My problem was that the metal tab that the latch grabs was bent. I bent it into the correct position and the glovebox opens and closes now with no problem.
    Very easy fix because the metal is so soft. Good luck.
  • I have a 2003 Olds Silhouette and the glovebox latch is broken, I have removed the two screws holding it in but the latch will not come out. would someone please tell me how to complete the removal. HELP
    Don
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Posts: 151
    I'm wondering if this procedure will fix my Pastor's trans issue on his '99 Olds Silhouette Premier tranny which DOES shift rough. A friend of his told him that he dropped the pan on his Venture some time ago and changed one of the two trans solenoids and this supposedly cured his problem, but I have to wonder if this person was experiencing torque converter lock-up and not just hard or rough shifting. I had this Silhouette for nearly 3 weeks while my friend and his family was out of town and did some maintenance work on it, most notable fixing the driver's side power window(They went over a year with BOTH front windows not working) and doing a few other things and when my wife or I drove the van, we both noticed that it shifted rough, although not all the time. Both the engine and transmission were replaced in this vehicle a few years ago.

I will mention this shift kit to him and see if he'd be interested in spending the money to fix it if he is going to keep the van. Thanks for the info, and have a great day!
  • hhua1hhua1 Posts: 41
    GM mini van transmission rough up-shift when warm.

Just happened to see my old post, and like to provide an update. The rough up-shift haven't return since I put in the modified spacers in the transmission back in late 2010 myself. So the modification works for us, we still own the 2000 silhouette and she is still my wife daily vehicle. Regards,
    GM mini van wipers won't fully seated / fully parked / or fully retracted.

Our 2000 Olds Silhouette has been intermittently not fully retracted / seated / or parked. It finally will just parked a few inches higher than the seated position. After I lubricated the wiper linkage it still not fully seated. I then took off the plastic cover on top of the wiper motor and I sprayed it with a good dose of lubricant, I manually pushed the wiper motor arm back and forth a couple time to loose it up. The wipers work perfectly after that.

I think the original lubrication get dusty and no longer doing it job. A good cleaning and re-lubrication help the parking feature works again.

Good luck!!!

Regards,
    An update. No more dash lights and head lights flickering since the new after market alternator replaced in July 2011.

The original alternator still working fine when I took it to the automotive store for the bench test. I do believe that the corrosion of the connections between the alternator and the voltage regulator was the issue.

Regards,
    Sorry for the late reply. I don't watch the forum unless I have issue with the Silhouette. But yes, the kit (the modified spacers) cured our van transmission hard shifting / rough shifting since.

Good luck!!!
  • You can remove the coil pack, remove front top bolts from both engine struts, remove air intake hose from throttle body. Then disconnect lower wiper arm pinch bolt and move the wiper arm aside. Pull the vacuum hose from the brake booster. Attatch a rachetting strap to left engine strut brackette and radiator frame and rotate the engine. Slide the altenator right out the top. Sounds like alot, but it's easy. This is also the repair manual instructions to remove alt
  • jw1983jw1983 Posts: 3

Are the gauge clusters from the Ventures interchangeable from a Pontiac Montana? My 2000 Venture doesn't have a Tachometer and I don't like it. I found that the Montana's have one but I am not sure if the harasses are the same. Is it just a plug in play change or is there modifying?