Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• infinia1infinia1 Posts: 174
    thanks for responding montanafan. i did drive with 2 different service advisors sitting in the back. one thought it was the spare tire which i quickly ruled out. the other is the one that thinks it's the liftgate. but i do plan to tell him about the info you just gave which sounds very helpful. maybe it would solve the rattle that sounds like chains. i'll have my wife drive and i will sit in back.
    thanks again.
  • baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    What a rip off !!! They accept the responsibility for the defective gasket, but you have to pay to get the result of their mistake flushed ...!!!

I would have drive the car 30 mn and get the oil and filter changed. thats it thats all , what a bunch of crap.

At the worst you can flush your engine for less than 20 bucks including the cleaner, the oil and the filter.If you do it yourself !!

What a bunch of thiefes I wont be able to sleep tonight !!!
  • dlubindlubin Posts: 66
    I have the SAME (I think) "Rattles" coming from what sounds to be the engine/front axle/up there somewhere. Sounds like chains/sort of a jingly squeaking. I've had it in twice with 'no trouble found. Drives me insane when we drive on long trips (like we are this week!).

Fuel economy is still terrible at 18 on the highway...

Dan
    2001 Montana Ext. Montanavision, Sport, 8passenger, etc etc
    I really hate that nozzle. Anybody come out with a new idea, replacement , modification for that thing that is spraying almost away from the wiper blade ?

Thanks
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    Mine stopped working altogether in my 2000 Silhouette. I filled the reservoir, and the front washer works, but not the rear. Any suggestions?
  • jeberjeber Posts: 91
    LOL

The first time I used rear washer on my silo, I thought mine was surely defective or a bit screwed up...I fiddled with it a little, and it appears to be working as best it can. How ridiculous! Washer fluid just sort of dribbles in a stream down one side, hardly getting the wiper blade at all! The wiper works well for rain only, but with dirty splashback, ice, etc., forget it! Its almost as if olds/gm forgot to design one for van, and at last minute said "someone go stick a washer on for the back, quick!" and NOBODY EVER ACTUALLY TESTED TO SEE IF IT WORKED!!!

Re. rear not working at all...make sure you let it run for 10 seconds or so...if it hasn't been used for quite a while, sometimes it takes them a bit to get flowing. If not, I guess try & find line from pump that goes to rear, see if its pumping good at that point, if so at least you have it narrowed down to a clogged/disconnected line. Some vehicles I've had have separate pump/reservoir in the rear, for the rear...as it should be. Many, though (incl the gm vans, I'm pretty sure) have line up through headliner from front, which IMO could be bad, bad, bad for many reasons!
    That can be a safety hazard, Gm should recall the van and install better nozzle
  • This may be way off but I chased down two noises for awhile one time it turned out being the roof rack was not tighten or came loose, also I know if the windows on the sliding doors are not locked they make some rattling noise
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    This has always been the source of any noise in our Venture, regarless of where it seems to come from. Every time, it's a loose roofrack crossmember fluttering.
  • bcd99bcd99 Posts: 45
    Try getting Armor-all wipes (the presoaked wipes that come in a container) and wipe down all the rubber door and window gaskets. The sliding doors and the rear door are the most common culprits. Keep these gaskets well lubed with armor-all and the squeaks and rattles from the doors will be kept to a minimum.
  • We've been researching minivans for a while now, as our 1994 T&C has 105k mi. Edmunds True Cost to Own has Honda as the big favorite, along with other reviews of course. But now GM is offering such deep discounts on the Premier, that we may get one, especially with the 5/60 warranty. $25k for a loaded Silo looks like a steal. What am I missing? I know the depreciation is steep, but $8k off sticker sure helps. Any input would be appreciated. I enjoy the many useful posts.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    I have an '03 GLS that now has 13,000 trouble free miles. Are you saying $25,000 for a new 2003 Premier? I am assuming that this includes a rebate? My van was $28,000 in October, 2002. I opted for the 0% financing rather than rebate.

I am sure there might be better vans on the market but the Silhouette is a mixture of luxury, comfort and versatility. We have hauled seven people and also, at times, a van load of junk. The back seat folds flat and that makes the cargo area easy to access. I think GM got lots of early bad press because of problems in years past. It is sad to see Oldsmobile going away but the Silhouette represents one of its best products.
  • I had that happen to me too...

Look under the hood and check that the tubing from the pump has not come loose. That's what my problem was. It is only held on by a barbed plastic fitting on the pump and can work loose over time.

Also, if the fluid is low, the rear washer will not operate, but the front will.

Mikey
  • flash26flash26 Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum, but my sister has a '98 montana that she has had a lot of problems with. The most concerning and major problem happened when they were driving 60 miles an hour on the freeway, then they took their foot off the gas, with no response! It did not decelerate...basically it drives on its own! At first they thought it was a problem with the cruise control, but that wasn't it. Has anyone else had this problem? GM had suggested replacing the intake gasket. ANY help would be really appreciated.
  • jpc47jpc47 Posts: 62
    Haven't had that problem but I did replace the intake gasket. Latest problem, seems one of my radiator fans died.
  • dave231dave231 Posts: 17
    Experts, I was driving along and my cruise control kicked off and the "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. OK no big deal - emissions right. Well I pull off interstate and transmission is weird, won't shift unless I pump the throttle, among other things it decides to do. So what do you think it is, drives fine once it get's to 4th gear - down shifts ok. Any help would be helpful - and don't say new transmission - car has alot of highway miles.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    Has anyone had any problems with the fan blower for the front A/C in their GM trio van? Mine is not blowing air very well at all. I can hear the speed of the fan change with each of the settings 1-5 on the dial, but their is not much air coming out of the vents. Also, the fan doesn't boost on "max a/c" with air recirc on high.
    I haven't ever changed the cabin air filter, so I am going to try that first, but that still doesn't explain the Max A/c problem. Any input would be appreciated.
  • balichbalich Posts: 62
    '97 Pontiac Transport wiper problem ...

My wife's transport wiper blades do not close (point down under the windshield ....
    They work fine in all speeds but when you shut
    them off .. they appear to go down under the windshield but then go straight up and shut off in a full straight up position (both blades do the same thing.... we had this problem 4 years ago under warrranty but the dealer won't fix it again .. we called Pontiac .. they said same thing .. has anybody else had this problem and is there a easy fix ? Under warranty - they said
    they replaced the wiper motor ?? I would think their should be a less expensive fix ?

Are others seeing these problems ?
  • hawk27hawk27 Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 with 26k miles, mostly the grind it out kid-toting variety. We enjoy this van a great deal. It is comfortable, has a smooth ride, and is versatile. We looked at Toyota, Honda, and Mazda and narrowed to GM or Honda before we bought the Silhouette. It was much less expensive and has been trouble free. My brother-in-law bought an Odyssey at the same time, which has already had three significant repairs.
    Just do a little research here. I've read about an easy fix for the wiper (WD40)on the wiper limit switch attached to the wiper motor.

Hope that you will find it
    Good luck
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,990
    I think this is the message:

kkollwitz Jun 1, 2003 5:22pm

There's another post over in the Montana discussion that suggests checking the grounds too.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Let me add that even if you get the mechanism all nicely lubed, you may still find the arms sticking up when you turn the wipers off because the mechanism has gotten out of phase. What ya gotta do is turn the ignition key to accessory, run the wipers on intermittent, then turn the key off when the wipers pause (which should incorrectly be "up" instead of "down"). Then take the crank arm off the wiper motor, manually set the wipers "down" where they're supposed to be during the pause (don't let the motor turn when you do this), retighten the crank, then turn the wipers on again. That ought to reset them. Put briefly, the governing circumstance is when the wipers are pausing between strokes when the wipers are set to intermittent.
  • dave231dave231 Posts: 17
    Well,my transmission needed only some new solenoids. Also, I know some of you have had smelly a/c's. What I think the problem is a/c water leaking down behind carpet, I have been fighting this problem for some time now.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,990
    Good news about the solenoids.

Try the technique listed in this thread for your A/C:

wwest "Mazda Tribute/ Ford Escape problems" Aug 8, 2002 1:55pm

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I have 2000 Olds silhouette. The passenger side side view mirror has cracked and I am wondering if anyone on this board have any experience in replacing the side view mirror. The mirror housing itself is fine and I just need to get information as to how to replace the mirror itself if possible by the owner. The dealer is asking $100 for the job.
    I replaced the mirror on my Crown Vic a few years ago. I pried the cracked mirror off (either used a screwdriver or just pulled on it),and the new mirror popped onto two screw-driven adjusters (one for up/down, one for r/l). The mirror cost about $15 and took maybe 10 minutes to install.
  • jrdwyerjrdwyer Posts: 168
    Auto windshield shops will do this repair for a lower price than the dealer. I had one done for a sideview mirror on an Olds Delta 88 for $20. Granted, the van's sideview is larger and will cost a little more. If the mounting is similar to the 88's mounting, meaning a solid surface, it is just a matter of glueing a pre-cut mirror to the surface and using some blue tape until the glue dries.
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I like the new Sienna, MPV, and T&C and Grand Caravan better but these triplets take a respectable 4th place out of about nine minivans (Odyssey, Euro Van, Windstar, new Quest, Caravan/Voyager lag behind) in my ratings. In 1996-1999, these minivans were my favorite.
  • catamcatam Posts: 331
    My 01 Venture was in the shop for an A/C system repair. The condenser had developed a large leak and need to be replaced. It was done under my extended warranty, thank goodness $790 repair cost me $100 deductible.
    At any rate the shop said they were supprised GM hasn't issued a recall on this part, because they see it as a common problem on these vans. I was suprised because I hadn't heard any discussion here about it. Anyone else had similar problems?
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Posts: 461
    Since the condenser sits in the front of the vehicle and is exposed to what ever is thrown at it, I tend to believe that it was just hit by a rock or something else. If the repair shop told you that this is a common problem then you should ask them to put that in writing and contact GM. Why should you have to pay the deductible of $100.00 if this is a known problem? I have dealt with GM on other repair matters and they have always treated me fairly.

Remember, before you contact GM know what you want them from them and conduct the conversation in an adult manner. Compromise is the art of negotiation not anger. Good Luck.