Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana

Comments

• 2000 silhouette. Fuel gauge is all over the place. I heard something about a problem w/ the sending unit in the tank.Anyone changed this yet or know another cause?
  • 2000 Silhouette. Temp gauge just started staying low. It acts like the thermostat is stuck open. It seems to be running too cool. The heat gets real warm but never hot hot.Any one had any experience with this problem or changing the t-stat?
  • My 2004 Montana had the same problem and it was the thermostat stuck open. It is evidently a fairly common problem on this engine.
    It was changed in warranty and was about a 1.5 to 2 hour job at the dealers.

Charles
  • Just an update since the last one - GM did not come good for the fuel sending unit but since I took it to a new garage, it cost only $500. Re-routed wires, sprayed water on coil, coil wire, spark plug wires, etc and nothing acted strange.Hoped problem was solved. Nope. Yesterday it nearly stalled going up a hill near our house.Luckily got it home before it quit - turned off the motor and a sulphur smell came into the van. I've smelled this once before. Today, again, drives good and then going up a hill, it starts bucking and nearly stalling. Put it into a lower gear and nothing improved. Now back at the garage again.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really could use your help on it - we are heading south with it or renting if we have to, by the end of the week! HELP!!
  • Ours too is messed up in our 1999. It's accurate down to about a half a tank, then reads full, then back down to below half. Very unreliable. We track our range on the odometer so we don't run out of gas.
  • n7donn7don Posts: 188
    The belt is misaligned on the 98 Montana. It looks like the crankshaft pulley needs to be moved closer to the engine block to improve alignment. It's about 1/2inch. Would appreciate if some of the board members could take a measurement to verify what the clearance should be. It's somewhat of a job to move the pulley closurer. This is a photo of what I'm talking about. You can see how the belt is riding out on the idler pulley
    thanks

imageimage">
    I may have answered my own question.... I couldn't figure out how to move the pulley in further. Looks like the hub is in as far as it will go. After doing some checking it dawned on me this is a harmonic balancer thus the outer pulley is attached to the inner hub with rubber. I think the rubber is starting to let the outer pulley move out. There's about 1/4" difference between the outer face of the pulley and the hub... about the amount of the mis-alignment.
  • I have a 99 Olds Silhouette that I just love, but all of a sudden the power sliding door is starting to act up. Periodically, when you tell it to close it opens and make take upward of 5 times to actually shut. It doesn't happen all the time, but always seems to happen when the weather is at it's worst! Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
  • nkairnsnkairns Posts: 27
    I have the same problem with my 99 Silo. I was told to clean the door pins which strike the pillar as the door closes. I cleaned both the pin panel as well as the pins. I also made sure each pin moved freely without binding. It corrected the problem for a while but every now and then the door will spring back open just as it's about to latch shut. I have the same issue, this only seems to happen in bad weather or when it's extremely cold out.
  • sbarbosasbarbosa Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2002 Silhouette AWD Premier and it seems to have every option except for the fold flat rear bench. it has the 50/50 flip and fold 3rd row seat instead which is nice but I am wondering if it is possible to purchase a used fold flat bench to fit in this vehicle. It looks like it should just fit into same slots in the floor. Also, what about the rear "convenience centre"? How does it "attach" to vehicles that have it? It looks like it has a little rotary knob that screws into place somewhere but when I look under the carpet in the back of my van it doesn't seem like it has a hole to screw into to.
    Finally will a 2001 rear bench and convenience centre fit in my 2002?

TIA
  • niuges16niuges16 Posts: 1
    I have talked to several dealer ships around the area here and a few jobbers, and they suggested to try using a very good fuel injector cleaner. Apparently the potentionmeter on the guage varnashis' up and this should clean it up. Better the spending a couple of hundred dollars for a new system.
  • I don't know if I made the situation better or worse. I'm assuming the contacts on the pin panel are supposed to be brass. If they were, mine were filthy! I got all of the black junk off of them and then it still had problems opening and shutting! So I did what a previous poster said about resetting the sliding door and it seems to be better. I'll have to run a few more tests to see if that cured it! Thanks so much!
    Also would suggest you consider using one of the brands listed at http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
  • dirkworkdirkwork Posts: 210
    N7Don clued me into the fact that the stock wiring, to save $ and weight no doubt, is really thin on accessory outlets like the Cig lighter and rear outlet. We had trouble running an inverter to power a nebulizer, the motor had to be on for it to get adequate power. If you use things on these circuits, you may want to swap to some heavier wire.

Don, I just bought a 2000 Intrigue GLS limited edition on eBay. I love beaters, and this was affordable and very nice. One owner, cared for, etc. It has that nice 3.5 shortstar motor in it, leather seats, dual climate and stability control among other things. Now I just need to go get it from the seller!

Dirk
    I cleaned mine, did the reset procedure numerous times but I still have the problem with the automatic door. I'd say nine out of ten times the door works fine. The other one time, it'll pop open again. It seems to pop open when it's trying to "latch" itself shut (pulling the back of the door into the lock position). There must be something we are over looking. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Norman - Montreal
    My fuel gage on my 99 Silo does the same thing. Upon a fill up, the gage stays on full intill my odometer hits 250 kms then it'll register less than 3/4 full. I found adding a bottle of injector cleaner at every oil change (about 5000K) helps to correct the problem. I'm due to add another bottle now. Just noticed this past week the gage is sticking again.

Norman - Montreal Canada
    Suggest cleaning & lubing the sliding tracks & rollers to make sure the door moves as freely as possible. I use spray silicon that doesn't leave a residue for dirt collection. My '98, on occasion, will pop back open just as it's trying to lock but it's very rare.
    There's a mechanism that senses if there's something preventing the door from closing..... maybe if the closing force is borderline, it thinks there's something in the way and will reopen.... like a garage door
    We had trouble running an inverter to power a nebulizer, the motor had to be on for it to get adequate power. If you use things on these circuits, you may want to swap to some heavier wire

Most inverters will drop out if the supply voltage is around 10.5v. A 100w AC load will draw close to 9 amps. My guess is the wiring is sized on the presumption the customer won't be leaving a high power load connected without the engine running...
    I ran some 8 or 10 ga. wiring for the trailer battery recharging and tapped off it to supply the rear aux. outlet in the Montana.... but only leave the inverter connected for 30 mins or less with the engine off.
  • Help. lastnite i pick girl up from work and coming home the check engine light can on. car was jerking hard after i accelarated. finally made it home. i went to auto zone in the morning (today) and got a code read. P0742 TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CIRCUIT STUCK ON. so, i call the local gmc shop. they are asking $680 to repair this problem plus they are saying i need another which they never say what other parts. The parts cost $63 and the other $47.They said " they would have to drop the rail and take out the tranny and put the parts and also do a diagnostic check to make sure $85" i would like to know if this is true. and also would like to know if i could do the work myself cost my $$ is funny. don't have $680. last month i had to spent alone a grand to get it fit $980. thats another story. "HAS ANYONE ENCOUNTER THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT DID THEY DO"
    One thing you can try - replacing the trans fluid and filter. See if that does anything.
  • flower60flower60 Posts: 5
    our fuel gauge is messed up also. It works until it hits 1/4 tank then it stays there. Occasionally it with jump to the F. We have a 97 Venture (multitude of other problems too)
  • billwbillw Posts: 11
    I have a water softener in my house. Is it safe to use this water in batteries and filling up the radiator with? Seems like the salt would kill the battery.
    No, its not ok.

Use distilled water, available nearly anywhere. For a dollar or so, its what you need. Has no minerals or salt.

Dirk
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    I have 2000 Venture and when idling you can hear a slight whirr from the driver side. It appears to be this little motor that has an in and out pipe for coolant.

Looks pretty simply to replace, but has anybody had a malfunction on one of these?

Rgds
    Sounds like it's the aux. coolant pump. Not sure they were standard equipment. I recall they were added to improve heater performance if a customer complained. In any case my 98 Mont. doesn't have one. You might try disconnecting it if the noise is annoying and see if you notice a difference in heater output.
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    Thanks your info and will check out. The heater output is not very good with it if that was the reason. I have had the thermostat checked and really takes some time to put something out, compared to other cars I have had. The radiator is pretty large.

Will see how we go.

Thanks
  • noideanoidea Posts: 3
    ">My 1997 Montana with 3.4 has acquired a mystery miss in engine. It occurs at idle after start-up and when stopped in traffic, or sometimes it runs smooth as silk. It runs fine at highway speeds. I've changed plugs, wires, coil, checked compression. All the computer tells me is that there is a misfire on #5 cylinder. When I pull the spark plug on that cylinder it is wet with fuel. Could a dirty injector cause an intermittent miss like this?
  • baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    The injector needs to be changed out.A leaking injector will also cause excessive wear on that particular cylinder, change it as soon as possible
    Search this group for "injector". Several postings on the subject. I replaced all injectors using a reconditioned set from lindertech. Cost approx $150. Another used new Accel injectors brought thru Summittracing. In any case if one is miss firing best guess it won't be long before another one fails. In the meantime have you tried injector cleaner like Chevron Techtron? Also I run fuel brands that are listed at TopTier Gasoline
  • slowmo2slowmo2 Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2002 Venture WB that has all four of the wireless headphones, but is missing the dvd remote. While dvds can be played and stopped without the remote, none of the other features are available. I believe the remote is the small triangular shaped one, and might have been made by Audiovox. Could any of you fine readers look at the remote in your 01-02 GM minivan and find a GM part number? It may be inside the battery cover. I know they can sometimes be found on Ebay, but I have searched it exhaustively and will have to wait for several days to see if one gets listed. I have also tried to Google it with no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!