Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vibe/ Matrix v. PT Cruiser v. ZX5 v. Protege5 v. Elantra GT v. Aerio SX

toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
edited March 25 in Toyota
I like the new Vibe. Justtest drove it. And saw the Matrix at the dealership. Are there any new sport wagons that are butter? Let me know. I'm buying oe by summer and I want one tha women find sexy and I'll find fun!

Comments

• badtoybadtoy Posts: 368
    doesn't say where you live, so I have no idea what the women in your neck of the woods like; but here's my take on the styling of the vehciles you mentioned:

The Vibe is a very nice take on a modified sport-ute, with typical Pontiac agressiveness. I would avoid the base model with the gray-colored cladding, though -- it ruins the looks of the car and demonstrates that Pontiac still hasn't fully learned its lessons from the Aztek.

The Matrix was designed for the SoCal street scene, and considering the car's high profile is very successful in that regard. Large numbers of people between the two coasts may prefer the more conventional look of the Vibe, however.

The PT Cruiser has been a runaway success for the last couple of years, and I still like the looks of it; but here in LA, it is considered an old fogey's car. Midwesterners may feel quite different about it. Quality, ride and handling are not up to Vibe/Matrix standards.

The Focus is a great driver's car, and I love the styling, but reliability has been poor. Damn shame -- the Focus keeps walking off with all the marbles in the fun-to-drive category.

The Protege5 looks great, handles beautifully and manages to look sharp without being too radical. Mazda has a checkered history when it comes to reliability, however.

All of these are great cars in their own way. I'd consider the financial consequences of the quality and reliability issues, then make your decision based on which one you find yourself dreaming about.
  • tbaytbay Posts: 22
    Service manager at local dealer says recent Proteges hold up well and different sources like CR and LemonAid back this up. Our 99 Protege and 2000 MPV are doing very well! 626 Automatic transmissions in the last decade......well that's a different tale
  • mrolandmroland Posts: 129
    The Zx5 owners at myfordfocus.com have almost no problems with theirs. About 15 people have one that post there, and 2 have had minor issues. One with brakes, and one with underbody not finished well. The consensus seems to be that the 2000 Focus modesl had lots of problems, mostly recalls, and Ford has really sorted this car out.

The PT Cruiser is the best looking of the lot. But it can't top my Focus in the Corners.
  • flazx5flazx5 Posts: 5
    dollar for dollar, the ZX5 is the best value. its got great standard features and it's the most fun to drive of any car i've ever owned. the 5-speed makes it peppy and responsive and adds to the driving experience with this car. i'm thinking about another focus for my next car already. the reliability issues have never been about the drive train, its been small stuff. we've had no problems with ours. bought in early november. even if you're biased against it, at least test drive one before you buy anything else. you will be impressed!!
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    New ZX5's before, so I know how SWEET they drive, but the Vibe GT I just tested is just as responsive, rommier, and MUCH more powerful! And it doesn't look like the thing that came out of the guy's stomach in "Alien" (may he rest in peace)!!!
    Look an awful lot like a ZX5, but more square sided, and certainly less spritely looking. Who designed the interior on those two? Probably the same people behind the Aztek, it looks like a Datsun F-10 from 1976 with the slab sided plastic and holed in dials.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Posts: 134
    No doubt!!!! And it will tag that [non-permissible content removed] on any stoplight you can think of! AND it has optional NAV (it'll be EONS before Ford can do that!).......
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    boy! Yeah it will be a regular whooping with that 130hp versus 130hp match up. Or the Vibe GT 180hp versus the SVT Focus's 170hp. Wow! talk about massacare. You guys kill me. This is a very evenly matched market right now for 5-door hatches. I'm just glad that we're finally getting some choices again. Now if VW would put the 1.8t engine back in the Golf. Very stupid decision.
  • TupTup Posts: 200
    Is there a 5 door SVT? I thought it was just a ZX3 variant. Also, you have to admit that the Vibe/Matrix do give a lot of variety....Base, AWD, 180Hp versions.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    Vw pulled the 1.8t engine from the golf? So its only in the GTi now or what?
    yep! You can only get that engine in the GTi version, not the Golf. You want a Golf, you either get the base 2.0 engine, which doesn't do anything for me. Or you can get the diesel. Diesel isn't really a bad choice, just not what I want.
    The Golf and the Elantra GT were not included in this comparo?
    probably could be covered best by the "Which 5-door hatchback" topic.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Here's a discussion from the Station Wagons messge board that some of you may find interesting: Ford Fusion. It sort of fits into the 5 door hatch category, imo.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • biker16biker16 Posts: 26

new optional Interior Versatility Package (IVP) includes a fold-forward front passenger seat that can be used as a working surface or rucksack holder, a 40/20/40 rear seat back, a smart package tray in the boot, additional stowage nets, kangaroo pockets and hooks and a reversible load carpet that lets you carry messy loads safely.
    but just a reminder that our Town Hall Agreement forbids posting materials/photos that may infringe on the copyright protections of any person or other entity. Okay?

So if you don't own the picture, or have permission to use it here, please just provide us with a link/url to the picture location instead of posting it directly into the message. Thanks. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • edchenedchen Posts: 31
    Are the rear headsets new also or only available in Europe? That was a big turnoff for us along with the tick-tock turn signal. :) BTW, if you fold down the front seat it gives the starboard rear passenger a nice place to put her feet.
    The rear headrest are not available anymore (well I'm pretty sure!). I liked them, but I guess I was in the minority as most people complained about the lack of visability. Yes the turn signal is LOUD.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    Boxes, Size Small:

Chrysler PT Cruiser

Ford Focus ZX5

Pontiac Vibe

Mazda Protegé5

Suzuki Aerio SX

Toyota Matrix XRS

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/comparisontests/2002/june/200206_comparo_boxes.xml?

Very interesting....

-Larry
    That road test was from Car and Driver, not Motor Trend.

I love the tick tock turn signal. WHen I first drove I thought it was so cute, sounds like no other car.
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    No contest. It beats them all on price, content, warranty, and size. Focus has old fashioned side mirrors that don't fold...Elantra GT's fold and are heated. Matrix and Vibe are overpriced. Pro-5 is nice but Elantra GT is much better for driver comfort and leg room. PT Cruiser mpgs are poor. GT the only one with standard side air bags, 4 wheel discs, trip computer, leather. Hyundai has come a long way since they hired a ton of Honda engineers.
    Elantra GT is a lot of car for the money. No doubt about that. But we can find one nice off ramp I'll tell you which hold the road better. My focus is more fun to drive. It always depends on what you priotities are, that is why there are so many cars on the market that manage to find homes.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Realistically speaking...what are you doing the most in your car 1) driving straight ahead and accelerating hard or 2) in a turn and trying to find the max G reading? If you picked 1 go with the GT. If you picked 2 go with the p5.
  • shov6shov6 Posts: 177
    God help me if the day ever comes that I choose my car on the basis of whether or not the side-mirrors fold.

-SHOV6
  • jaskingjasking Posts: 10
    Nice thing about the Focus is that the mirrors don't just fold, they fall right off (judging from the number I've seen with packing tape holding them on).
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    I've actually noticed that. And on that note...more Focus issues http://www.auto.com/industry/defect7_20020607.htm

Personally the P5 was the right combination. Man that thing handles great!

• dogtrainerdogtrainer Posts: 96
    Let's see...the engine may stall at speed, the front suspension collapses, two different air bag malfunctions, rear wheel bearings may fail, and the engine may catch fire.

This in addition to eight, count 'em, eight recalls for problems ranging from failing seat latches and windshield wipers to throttle sticking open!

Yeah, Ford has sure made great strides in quality. I'm sure glad I bought a Matrix.
    From Edmunds' Future Vehicle Section, here's some information about the 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo. What do you think?

Also, for more focused discussion on the PT Turbo, come join us in our new 2003 PT Cruiser Turbo discussion on the Wagons Board. See ya there! ;-)

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

• crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    Why is the turbo discussion on the Wagons board if the normally aspirated is on the Hatchback board? Inquiring minds want to know ;-D
    I started it up on the Wagons board mainly because Edmunds classifies it as a midsize wagon in their Future Vehicles section.

Btw, our main PT Cruiser discussion is linked to both the Hatchbacks and Wagons board. I could also link the PT Turbo discussion to Hatchbacks if people would like that. I thought I'd wait to see if the discussion drew much traffic. Okay? ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
This discussion has been closed.