Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Irv Gordon's Classic Volvo

jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
edited March 20 in Volvo
Well guys, it's official. According to a news article I read on Yahoo yesterday, Irv Gordon will be in Manhattan on Wed., March 27. The occasion? He will drive up 44th Street to Times Square, where he will finally hit the 2 million mile mark. Volvo Cars of N.A. will be there to cover every minute of the event, as will some members of the press. He hit the 1 million mark in October 1987, also in Manhattan. Don't believe me? Read the article for yourself in biz.yahoo.com.

Comments

• speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    I have this visual of the car completely disintegrating the moment it hits 2M ;-).
  • Or getting T-boned one mile short.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,041
    Get a life, Irv!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

I have a feeling we're not getting into the spirit of the occasion.
    Well, don't get me wrong, I was with Irv on this, but he has MADE HIS POINT!

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,640
    Take it from a former Long Island resident anyone who can drive a car a couple of million miles down there without having some bonehead crash into it has done something.
    Imagine it gets boring after about 750K though.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• I can't imagine how someone could get 2 million miles on a car without completely rebuilding it several times. My parents have bought all their cars new and kept each for a fairly long time, and they have never even put 100,000 miles on a car! The closest they've come is 95,000 on an '85 Toyota Tercel. Irv must be an absolute fanatic when it comes to maintenance and repairs.

-Andrew L
  • Considering the advertising and bragging rights Volvo gets from this they must be repairing and maintaining Irvs car for free.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,007
    ...on a car bought new, was a 1986 Monte Carlo that my Mom bought about 13 months before Irv hit the million mile mark. It was still running strong on the original drivetrain at 192,000 miles when I got T-boned in June '98.

What kind of driving does this Irv guy do, to put on a million miles between October '87 and now? I figure that comes out to about 70,000 miles a year, which isn't TOO hard to imagine. In the 3 months I had Mom's Monte, I put about about 13,000 miles on it, which would come out to about 52K a year. I have a feeling Irv wasn't delivering pizzas though!
  • spokanespokane Posts: 514
    In 2,000,000 miles, he has probably made every type of trip imaginable - including the delivery of a pizza or two...
    Wait a second, I just realized something: speedometers are usually a little fast. Would that make Irv's 2M optimistic? I'll bet he's only up to 1.9M.
    If this doesn't have the sticky fingerprints of Volvo's PR department...

http://www.theautochannel.com/content/news/press/date/19981123/press000853.html

"I always use Genuine Volvo Parts" Irv bursts out spontaneously. Reminds me of those two flacks slapping Chevy bow ties on the backs of everyone at the Olympics. At least Chevy has a sense of humor about obvious flackery.

• lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    Well, part of it might be that there simply aren't too many aftermarket suppliers of Volvo P1800 parts, either. In many cases ol' Irv probably doesn't have a choice. :-)
    Okay, okay, I'm just jealous. Irv's been married to his car for 2M miles and I'm usually tired of my car after three weeks.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I think it's time to add another comment to this topic. I just had my '93 Volvo serviced at the dealership, and they told me that Mr. Gordon will indeed break 2 million tomorrow night in Manhattan. USA Today ran an article about him and the car on Friday. Mr. Gordon is scheduled to be on the "Today" show on NBC the morning of the 28th (that's a Thursday), and he will also be on the "Tonight Show" with Jay Leno on Tuesday, April 2 to discuss the '66 Volvo.
    Should be thrilling :)

I hope he brings all his documentation. I think viewers would like to see it.

The current issue of Road & Track say an odometer can be correct even when the speedo is fast. Would this be true of Irv's car too, or is my question in post 12 still relevant?
    he uses a counter on the rear axle, so it measures the distance the tire has rolled.

Yes, I'd like to see his documentation, too. Also, lots and lots of stories about what people said to him and what he said to them while he was on the road. And in great detail too, like what they were wearing, etc.

Also, some of the internal differences between the B16 and B18 engine would be riveting.

As of this writing, Irv should be hitting the magic 2 million mark, as he is probably at the Volvo of America press event in Times Square right now. It is scheduled to run from 6 to 10 p.m. this evening.
    And to think we are alive to see this!

I *thought* I heard a loud clank.
  • amazonamazon Posts: 293
    There are almost no similar parts between the B16 and B18 engines.
    yeah, I know, that was the joke :)

B16--3 main bearings, square valve cover, oil cap in center, pretty weak engine--the crankshaft would whip and break. Irv never would have made it with a B16.

The B16 really was much weaker than a B18?
    Oh, yeah, A B16 is an old tractor engine I believe. It doesn't have the chops of a B18 at all.

• amazonamazon Posts: 293
    The B16 was derived from the old B4B engine from the PV 444. It was introduced in 1944. The engine produced a whopping 44 hp (Din)... I don't think it started its life as a tractor engine. On the other hand, the B18 saw use in tractors.
    No, I think you have that backwards. The T15 tractor used a B14 and then a B16. The B18 wasn't used in tractors because there was no longer a demand for non-diesel tractors by that time--that's what I've read anyway.

Besides, by then there were a number of British sportscar engines that were also well-suited for tractor duty.
    Diesels are perfect for the job, with high torque at low rpm and good economy.

So now that Irv has had his fifteen minutes, what other worlds is he planning to conquer? I'd like to see him go 2M in a 2001 Volvo.
This discussion has been closed.