Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Checking oil after oil change.

rlwninerrlwniner Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Pontiac
Just changed the oil on my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 3800 series II V-6 engine, also changed filter. Owners manual states in capacities that engine holds 4.5 quarts with filter change. However, it also says that after adding oil the level should not be above the cross hatch area. The level now reads a little above that area, it reads on the F in full. I seem to remember reading in an owners manual of a 86 Buick 3.8 liter that it was OK if the level was a little above that area after an oil change. What do you think. Am I OK?

Comments

• vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    yes,checking your oil after a change sounds good to me.I knew a neighborhood kid who once worked for a quick oil change place.his customer treated him with disrespect so he pumped grease into his drain hole before they filled it.My message do not trust anyone and treat your mechanic with respect.
  • vidtechvidtech Member Posts: 212
    i would put the required amount in the engine,run the engine and check the oil later.if the level does not line up to the full mark i would scribe that level on the dip stick.there are many mis marked dip sticks out there.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I do mine overnight and perhaps 2-4 ounces of additional oil will drip out overnight as compared to a typical drain and fill that is done in twenty minutes. So, I usually have to add a few ounces to bring it up. I think the manufacturers bank on the twenty minute oil change when writing the fill capacities.

After a change I let it sit overnight (after running engine for 10 miles or so) and check the next morning for the dipstick level.
  • zr2randozr2rando Member Posts: 391
    some oil stays up in the motor in low spots in the valve cover areas or in the oil heat-exchanger, miscellaneous places...I normally put in about 1/2 qt less than the book calls for and run/check for leaks, after that sets awhile then I fill up to the mark.
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    just over the line may not be significant, there was a post a week or two back about how inaccurate dipsticks are when compared one to another in the same kind of engine. I personally consider the LOW mark highly significant ;) I would also consider having a high-oil mark after initially running the engine to insure you have pressure, and that you are not leaking around the filter gasket in maybe the third-quart-high area to be quite a revelation... but if there is no foam and there are no bubbles on the dipstick, to be watched carefully instead of immediately having a heart attack.

there is also no crime in putting a pan under the engine, loostening the oil filter to run a little oil out, and then tightening it back up.
    the Fumoto drain valve on all five of my cars. Flip the spring loaded lever and the oil drains out, piece of cake, no more plugs to remove, no more gaskets, stripped plugs etc.

www.fumotovalve.com

Worth the $24.95
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I've been trying to find that website for quite some time.
  • twouvakindtwouvakind Member Posts: 5
    Fram (available at Wal Mart) has a similar product (drain valve) am eager to check it out. It is supposedly cheaper than Fumotovalve with similar results
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    Fram's site lists "SURE DRAIN - DRAIN PLUG" in the "Parts Catalog" section, but they don't list one for my Millenia, and don't give a price for the one for my Oldsmobile. Guess I will check WalMart and AutoZone for it.
    Here's part of a writeup I found on it.

Product Announcements

FRAM® Engineers Launch Aftermarket's

First Fast Action Oil Change System

New FRAM® SureDRAIN™ Makes Oil Changes Cleaner, Easier

LAS VEGAS, October 30, 2001 - As part of its branding strategy to make do-it-yourself (DIY) activity easier and safer, FRAM marketers have launched another breakthrough innovation in the car care category - the FRAM® SureDRAIN™ fast access oil change system.

Designed as a permanent replacement to existing oil pan drain plugs, DIYers no longer have to worry about being splashed by hot oil thanks to the new FRAM SureDRAIN system. The special, proprietary FRAM actuator valve replaces the existing drain plug and allows instant oil draining with the turn of a wrist. When it's time for the next oil change, DIYers simply need to screw the FRAM drain hose on to the actuator valve - this automatically opens the drain door and allows oil to flow out smoothly. Once the draining is complete, the drain hose comes off and the FRAM dust cover is screwed on to protect the actuator valve from dirt and road debris.

http://www.aapexshow.com/index1.php?page=fastaction

They have the nerve to state they were the first. Years later but they claim to be the first. Just love American marketing!
  • fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Fram will sell beau coup of 'em. They have one of the biggest "recognition" names in the automotive industry. They will be available for buying on the spot, rather than having to send off for them, and the price will likely beat the competition as well.
    I bought a Fram Sure Drain today for my Oldsmobile. It is all brass with what appears to be a stainless steel valve in it, and operates by simply screwing the included drain hose onto it, which opens the valve.

The one shown on this site:
    http://www.oilchangesolution.com/qc.php3
    looks virtually identical to the Fram Sure Drain.

The Fram was $12.47 at WalMart, or about half the price of a Fumoto. I haven't installed it yet, as it is not time for an oil change.

They have five sizes available, but Fram's catalog at WalMart does not list one for my 2001 Mazda Millenia. Fram's online site shows that the SD-2 model fits a 2000 Millenia. Does anyone know if Mazda changed drain plug size from the 2000 2.5 engine to the 2001 2.5? I can't see why they would have, as the car is basically identical mechanically for those two years.
    We all get those "not cataloged yet" situations after buying a new vehicle. I'll bet you are correct in assuming the drain plugs are the same, and a quick way to find out would be to call the parts department of a local Mazda dealer and ask.
    Thanks for the input. I entered several other cars on Fram's online site, including two of the best sellers, Camry and Accord. They also have plugs listed for the 2000 models, but not the 2001.

I think it is safe to assume at this point that the PIC (person in charge) of updating the Sure Drain plug application info is asleep at the wheel. They do however have the filters listed for all the '01's I checked, so the filter PIC seems to be awake and doing their job.
    After considering the nature of the drain plug replacements under discussion, I am a bit puzzled as to just exactly what is considered the advantage of having a new plug that can be caused to drain the oil from the pan. What advantage do you see here, compared to simply removing the standard drain plug? What exactly is the attraction?
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    1. Not dropping the plug in oil pan
    2. Not getting oil over hands when oil comes out
    3. Not needing to use a wrench/hunt for socket
    4. Not replacing Plug gasket
    5. Not having to torque (or strip) pan plug.

I don't use the thing, but I plan on using it.
    If you need to drain off oil for a sample or if overfilled or for some other reason you need to removbe some oil it is very simple to drain off whatever you want and close the valve.
    I have also found this discussion in the thread "Fomoto oil change valve" if you are interested.

I agree on all the advantages in the two previous posts, and unless you consider the $12.47 price a disadvantage, I don't find any. In fact I will add two advantage.

1-It is far easier to reach under and remove the cap and attach the hose, than to remove and reinstall the OEM plug.

2-You can stick the hose in a jug, or other container, and the oil will all be directed into it instead of splattering out of, or missing the drain pan you would normally use. I use rinsed out, one gallon milk jugs, then screw on the lid, and notify the garbage collection company. By law, where I live, they have to take care of hazadous waste. I then sit it by the street on the day they say to, and am rid of it.
    Excellent viewpoints on the virtues of the drain plug replacements. I have had some trepidation that anything that is so easy to activate to drain my engine of its "life blood" is an object worthy of avoidance. How comfortable are you that the easy-to-operate valves will not one day destroy your engine as a result of an undesired oil release?
    "I have had some trepidation that anything that is so easy to activate to drain my engine of its "life blood" is an object worthy of avoidance."

WalMart will always refund for unused merchandise, so you would have nothing to lose by buying one so you can examinine it closely. The package easily opens and recloses without destroying it.

The valve itself is recessed into the main valve body, and can only be opened by inserting a straight hard object into the hole. That is how the hose opens it. Beyond that, the cover that comes with it seals with an o-ring, and seems very secure to me. Unless that cover came off, there would be no way for anything to enter and open the valve. It appears to me, that if the valve closes as it should, and is not leaking oil after you refill your car, there would be no way to lose the oil through the Sure Drain valve. It takes two very deliberate steps to open that valve. First remove the cap, then screw on the hose. Also, while the cap is not the primary device that stops oil from escaping, it is securely sealed when in place, and I believe would act as a secondary oil stopping mechanism. I really think your fear of losing your oil is unfounded as long as the cap is in place, both to protect the valve, and seal the whole unit.

Also, though most people don't know it, millions of similar valves are in use on fleet vehicles to speed up oil changes, and avoid stripping the drain plug hole.
    Fumoto takes a dedicated effort to push spring and then move the lever as well It would truly be a freak accident for it to come open on its own. Of course, any vandal can easily drain both type of valves if they wished to. I have fumoto on 5 cars, oldest is just over one year on there now but so far no issues One low riding sports car, one an SUV, other a Camry etc. If you are doing off roading in heavy brush I would probably not recommend either valve as rocks, brush, branches could in a freak accident snap off the valve but very unlikely.
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    A friend of mine related how he just took his 2001 Mazda into the dealer for his 1 "FREE" oil change. It only takes about 3.5 quarts. He checks the level at every fillup. It was half way up the stick. Figured that they put in 5 quarts.

Believe it or not they gave him flack when he asked to drain out the oil, and replace it with the correct amount.
    The same thing happened to my 1997 Geo Prizm when it was new. It holds 3.5 quarts, but the Chevrolet dealership put in 5 quarts. I drove it 4 miles home before discovering it. I corrected the problem myself. That was my last visit for mechanical anything at that location!
This discussion has been closed.