Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SL and SLK (all models)

Comments

• merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    The SL600. I figured you'd question the validity of that number, even I did.

Chavis10 suggested earlier that a Maybah 57 engine may have went down the wrong assembly line and wound up in a SL600.

What do you think?

M
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Posts: 776
    I haven't been ready to disbelieve. When you get past a couple hundred horsepower cars become traction-limited, the SL600 most definitely included. Put racing slicks on a 4500lb car with that kind of torque and it's quite possible that it could hit 60 under 4. Put skinny tires and it may have a tough time breaking the mid-5s. Perhaps they tested a car with supersticky tires on a supersticky surface.

The other thought I had is that it's easier to goof up 0-60 times but a 1/4 mile is a 1/4 mile. Unless there was some blatant equipment failure, covering a 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds is pretty impressive.
    Now this is rather nice.

I wonder what Mercedes is going to do about Brabus. They're doing the same thing that forced Mercedes to buy AMG, building even faster cars than Mercedes dared do. Some of Brabus' creations (E V12 640hp! for instance) make AMG (E55 469hp) cars look positively pedestrian.

The SLK definitely carries the F1 styling theme much better than the SLR.

M
    I've always loved the SLK (more so than any other Benz - its compactness lends it a kind of athletic look that I think is appealing) so I am liking not only new the SLK but the particularly the Brabus version.

It is odd to think of someone outdoing AMG in terms of power output.

While I'm on a roll with vehicles from the elite Benz universe, behold the Mercedes CLS. The perfect sedan with which to park alongside your Coupe, Convertible or Sports Car.

I haven't yet accepted this MB yet, the concept held some promise and I say some, but from concept to production it seems to have lost what little appeal it had, to me anyways. I'll have to see it in person.

M
    Hey there is no mention of the SL65 AMG at Geneva, what gives? This would have been the typical intro time for it to go on sale here later this year. Any new info?

M

Don't care for the slab side styling as in the ES and the high beltline look that's in vogue now I guess. Their calling it a 4 door coupe, what the hey? I see the RX8 concept in a 4 door sports car logical, but a coupe is 2 doors and will be always be 2 doors. This is a sedan no matter what marketing is trying to put a creative spin on it.
    True, the CLS is just a sedan, but that ES is surely the uglier of the two by far.

M
  • Agreed, the CLS is ugly and ES is uglier. More important, which of the two is more likely to spend time in the service bay. Tough call hehehe..
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Posts: 90
    I bought an '03 SL500 last summer because I couldn't find any SL55's that had not been driven at least 500 miles and that weren't $6K or more above MSRP. I'm a stickler for breaking in a car properly and wasn't willing to risk a car broken in by someone else. The SL500 turned out to be a great car and was surprisingly peppy for its heft, so I thought I had finally overpowered my longing for an SL55.

But then came the first warm days in Chicago last week, and there it was again . . . that old longing to try an SL55. On Friday, I found a dealer who would let me test drive one with 1203 miles on it so that I could really get a feel for the engine. That was all she wrote. The car was astounding -- docile one moment and a roaring beast the next. So on Saturday I picked up my brand new White/Ash SL55. I only managed to get about 200 miles on the odo over the weekend, and the impatience to goose the throttle is gnawing at me. At least I've been able to play on a few curves and twisties. The AMG chassis set-up is a noticeable improvement over the already-rock-stable standard chassis set-up.

I had a '98 Corvette (that spent more time in the shop than in my garage), and it felt like a kit car compared to this one. I had an '02 Audi S6 with build quality and engineering finesse similar to the M-B, but its engine offered only a weak foretaste of what the SL55 delivers.

This car is amazing!
    Sounds exciting, good luck and keep us posted!

M
  • shoesshoes Posts: 131
    There is a great article in this month's issue of Automobile Magazine. The author spent more than year trying to acquire an SL55 and the article details these exploits and the car. Enjoy.
    Anybody know what viscosity ranges the SL55 uses? I know the factory puts in Mobil 1, but the owner's manual does not disclose the viscosity. It just says consult the service technician. I asked my dealer's service shop and got three answers from the three guys who were debating each other -- 0W30, 0W40 (which is what I used in the SL500), and 5W50 (which I cannot find listed on the Mobil 1 website). I've e-mailed mbusa.com but haven't gotten an answer back.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the heads up on the article, Shoes. I just let my "Automobile" subscription expire about 2 months ago (I was getting 4 car mags). Now I've got to troop off to a newstand.

I thought the late-winter market a year after the car's introduction would make it easier to find a new SL55. Not so. Almost everything I could find had mileage on it. The closest I came was a car with 70 miles on it that someone had already titled and resold to the dealer -- who wanted $7K above MSRP.

However, I had seen a brand new white one at the dealer nearest me -- which they were selling at sticker. I've had a couple of white cars before and liked them. But sitting on the showroom floor the SL55 in white just looked too "present". The color accentuated the mass of the car and looked too stark, perhaps due to the flourescent lights in the showroom. (This is an old downtown Chicago dealership in dark, antiquated facilities.)

Finally, in frustration at not finding anything else before spring fever sent the market soaring again, I asked the dealer to move the car from the shadowy showroom out to the street. The car was TRANSFORMED. You see black SL500's coming and going in downtown Chicago, as well as lots of silvers. I had never seen this car in white before . . . and it was a stunner! The white brings out the muscularity of the fenders and accentuates the sculpting of the sides. People occasionally glanced at my black SL55. They gawk openly at this car (maybe they think it's ugly or over the top . . . but I don't think so.)

Anyway . . . that's my saga. 620 miles to go before I can open 'er up.
    My black car was an SL500, not an SL55. I can only wish I had owned two of them.
    Hmmmmmm are were talking about the used to be Loeber, now James Fletcher's Mercedes-Benz of Chicago????

M
    Yep . . . I bought both my SL's from Fletcher-Jones (aka Mercedes-Benz of Chicago). I've been seeing license plate frames with "Loeber Motors" on them and wondered who they were, since I couldn't find them in the phone book. I've only been in Chicago about a year.

If you know Chicago dealers, you might find this interesting. The SL55 I test drove last week was at the Westmont dealership. They had two Maybach's sitting on the lot -- first ones I'd seen. It turned out they are both going to the same customer as part of an order he placed for five. One is for his Chicago home, one for his home in Florida, and one for each of his three sons.

Mercedes reportedly waived their rule of one-Maybach-per-customer because the purchaser is the single biggest private purchaser of Mercedes in the U.S. I've been told he will even buy cars solely for his kids to take on long test drives. (That would certainly explain the surfeit of big-ticket low-mileage new/used cars the area Merc dealers have.)
    I just found the "Automobile" article on Timothy Ferris' multi-year attempt to buy a new SL55. It's a depressingly familiar story. But it also ends by making the point why one should never buy one of these cars with mileage on them unless one doesn't care how they are broken in. After a 2-year wait, Ferris could no longer curb his enthusiasm. He met the car at the pier at 11pm one night and, climbing into it, the first thing he did was floor the accelerator and bounce the tach needle off the pins on the first three upshifts -- despite a very prominent sticker in the windshield saying to limit revs to 4500, limit top speed to 85mph, and avoid transmission kickdowns for the first 1000 miles. Maybe the factory is just bluffing . . . but I don't want someone else betting my money on it. I hope when the white smoke from his tires clears he's not finding blue smoke from his brand new oil burner.
    Ok thats what I thought. I actually got a chance to meet George Loeber back in the 90's. Nice older guy, the calculationg business type. That dealership had been in their family since the 1930s. He has a brother that still (I think) owns their other store in Lincolnwood IL, north of the city on the Edens expressway, also Loeber Motors. This was the dealership I first got to see Mercedes' at when I was in high school, somewhat of a while ago.

The dealership in Westmont - Laurel Motors is one the largest volume Mercedes dealers in the country, so that Maybach situation makes sense. Holy checkwriting...five Maybachs!!!! Gee moe netty.

The area on and around Ogden ave in which all these dealerships and private lots have so many Mercedes' and other high-end cars for sale is amazing.

M