Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SL and SLK (all models)

Comments

• rockshocka1rockshocka1 Posts: 310
    The mechanic works at Montgomery Autohaus, and believes that 29K is a realistic number for the car. He pointed to Autotrader as an example of what similiar cars are being listed for. I verified that was accurate. Listing is one thing, selling is another, but there were so many in the same price range, there has to be something to it. Too bad, I was hoping for around 10K.
  • sympleredsymplered Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 95 Sl 500 with only 47k. My engine generates this knocking sound during initial startup and gradually goes away in about 5 mins. Does anyone out there knows what causes this? The previous owner told me that he used mid grade gas. I'm I stuck with this knocking? It's a little embarrassing..
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Well, according to one of the sales managers at Euromotors, if your dad is able to get anything over $10-$12k for his 560 SL, they will immediately put him on their payroll to sell a few of thier white elephants.

If you really want a 560 for $10k, you shouldn't have much trouble in the DC area if you look around. Remember, it's a 18 year old car with no enthusaist following and driving dynamics that can hardly be considered sporty given the variety of other two seater roadsters out there. Putting any serious miles on one that has been pampered will soon cost you an arm and a leg in maintenance and repairs. Those are nearly direct qoutes from the dealer, not me.
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Posts: 310
    I'm not really actively searching to buy this model car. But, having driven this particular car, I would buy it off him if 10K was about the best offer he gets. I'll still hold out some hope, but so far the news hasn't been real positive. At 10K or so, high maintenance & repair costs wouldn't phase me too much. Around 30K it wouldn't be real practical for me.

I like the style of the car more than anything else, especially now that I don't see that many on the road around here anymore. It just felt good cruising around in it, and it's a whole lot sportier than my old del Sol. :)
  • doodedoode Posts: 18
    I just bought a solara convertible and the manual advises not to use a car wash...
  • BSSBSS Posts: 2
    I am considering to purchase a 2004 or newer SL500 and would appreciate any feedback you can offer me as to what to look out for mechanically and what options/features are must haves. Thank you in advance for your comments.
  • This is probably not what you want to hear: buy a new Porsche 911 instead.

My brother in law bought a 2004 SL500 new, had numersous problems with it in the first 90 days and then traded it, for full credit, on a new SL55. The SL55 was better for the first 6 months, but then had transmission problems and several minor annoyances (nav system screen, power mirrors didn't adjust to memorized setting, etc.).

Out of frustration, he sold the car at a significant loss in May and, since then, has been the extremely satisfied owner of a new 2005 Porsche 911 Cabriolet. His wife had initally resisted, but now can't be pried out of it. It had been 15 years since she last drove a manual transmission, but their new 911 is very driver friendly compared to the older versions. They can even squeeze their 11 year old daughter in the rear seat for short to medium trips. In 3 months, they have put 4,500 miles on the 911 and have another 15,000 miles to go before the first service. The SL55 was sold at 13 months with 5,000 miles at a $21k loss and was out of commission for almost 2 months last fall.

In fairness, I do know others who have had better luck with their Mercedes. Most, however, intend to trade before the end of the factory warranty because they don't want to press their luck.
  • I have a 2004 SL500. Bought it new 5/6/04. It is my everyday driver and now has 11000 miles on it. It has never been to the shop. My first service is today and they picked it up this morning at my home. The 2004 has free maintenance .... the 2005 does not ... worth about $2k.

The car has been perfect. The hardtop makes it good in the winter although I drive my other car in the snow.

Get about 15 to 16 in town and 24 on a trip.

They talk about quality problems, but my sl500 has not even had a blip. Love the sport car feeling with the heavier ride.
  • 97sl50097sl500 Posts: 1
    Did you ever get it sorted out? I have just bought a 97 SL500 with the same problem. The knock goes away when the engine has warmed up. And sometimes it dosn't knock at all.
  • ozmtozmt Posts: 1
    Not sure how to post a new message, so here goes.
    1990 sl300, 122k miles. Been really great. All of a sudden, second gear acting funny. Have to rev up the engine to engage 2nd on downshifts. Kind of feels like it may be slipping on upshifts. 2nd gear only.
    Anyone have an answer?
    One guy told me that each gear is independently adjustable. ???
    thanks
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I would say that in simple terms that the tranny is starting to go a 15 year old car. That explanation doesn't make any sense and/or is bogus.

M
  • I had the same problem and have not figured out what that light is either!
  • I will check out the headlight/breaklight possibility.
  • pvjackpvjack Posts: 1
    My ??s should we sell the 560sl= 1987(135k,miles)red/tan/good cond. for-13k-17k and buy 1977( the guy has had it for about 20 yrs and serv. reg.) 450sl=($5000) (96k) silver/ as good cond. as our 1987, how would you compare the 77-450sl to the 87-560sl, i do know the 450eng are powerful and long runners, what would be the smart thing to do with the diff. in money and still have the same style car? Thanks for your help, Jack//pvjack
  • I am trying to figure out how to register my 79-450SL as a collectible. I also want to know if there are special things to consider when registering a classic car.
    Thanks, Steven//sjconnect
  • My sensors are reading 20-30 mph slower and its causing additional problems to my computer, the worst being the top will not go up or down unless I clear the memory by removing the pos battery cable. Anyone have this problem before and if so, please help.....
  • Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    jtpsl500, you might also want to ask your question in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion to maximize your feedback on this problem.

Claire

HOST

• BSSBSS Posts: 2
    I purchased the 2005 MB SL500 two days ago and am very impressed with the car. While there is a great deal of technology/features to learn one question I have is related to the Audio system and steering wheel controls. I notice that when in Audio/radio mode if I hit the steering wheel arrow keys either up or down it simply scans and does not jump to my presets. Does anyone know if this is normal or maybe a setting I need to change? I wanted to check the forum first before returning to the dealer for an education. It just seems odd to me that it doesn't jump automatically to the presets as all the other cars I have owned all have had steering wheel controls for audio which does allow for this.

I appreciate any insight any of you can provide.

Regards.
  • Hi All,
    I've read some of the replys here and am of the opinion that I finally found the right place to ask about my MB. As you can see, it's the W107 280SL. I'm trying to replace the trunk lid. I've gotten a lot of different answers on what will fit. Some say any W107s. Other say only convertibles. It currently has a 450SL lid that has rust. Also, do all euros have the rubber spoiler as mine does.
    Thanks for any info, Craig