Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz SL and SLK (all models)

Comments

• ezenezen Posts: 2
    I found a '76 450SL convertible selling for $3900. Ad states it only has 123k miles, but that seems awfully low to me. What should I look for when I take a test drive and check the car out? Are there any issues I need to be aware of? This would be a 2nd car for me, but I'm not a mechanic, so I don't want something that will need a ton of maintenance.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    "This would be a 2nd car for me, but I'm not a mechanic, so I don't want something that will need a ton of maintenance."

Need I state the obvious? You are considering buying a 31 year old German car. You think 4,000 miles a year seems "awfully low", suggesting you may intend to drive it frequently.

IT WILL REQUIRE A LOT OF MAINTENANCE. :surprise:

Not that I know anything about the 450SL, but one of my neighbors has had his 30+ year old Mercedes 280SE out of commission for over 4 months waiting for some parts. If you buy this car, do so with the anticipation that if things start going wrong, you may need to just hand the keys to your local charity.
  • s550iwishs550iwish Posts: 28
    I got in a car accident driving a 2007 Lexus RX350 loaded to the max. The guy that hit me was driving a 2007 MB SL550. My car was totaled and his car held up great i was surprised. The only damage on his car was a damaged hood and a broken tailight.That really is a great & safe car!! :)
  • Inside hood latch handle will not release my hood when pulled. Any ideas as to how to get the hood to release.
  • blov8rblov8r Posts: 567
    Further suggestion. If you buy this car, and I certainly might if I were in the market, take it to a reputable shop (Benz store if that's what it takes) and have them replace all the hoses and everything else that shows "age fatigue". It will cost you a couple grand out front but can save you a lot of grief in the long run. Bart
  • While driving my 2004 SL500, I hit a bump and the rollbar popped up (it made some awful grinding noise when popped up) and now the rollbar won't go back down + the convertible hard top doesn't work any more. Any suggestions to reset the rollbar and get the hard top to work again?
  • The very same thing happened to me in my 2003 SL500 last week, complete with grinding noise. Here's what I did: (1) push the roll bar UP button underneath the flap which operates the hard top and hold for a few seconds, even though nothing much seems to be happening; (2) now the hard top should operate - pull the flap to raise and close the roof; (3) finally, press the DOWN button to lower the roll bar inside the closed roof. It worked for me. Good luck.
  • It worked like a charm! You just save me a trip to the dealer. Thanks a bunch!
  • mpiempie Posts: 1
    I think this is a great idea
    care to move ahead /
  • The sl 500 was not charging, so I put a new alternator in, but the light is still on and the car is not charging. Any suggestions?
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,661
    maybe a bad cell where it simply will not accept a charge...a load test on the battery may reveal it...
  • Suggest a computer readout of your systems. May show the fault code that will identify the problem.
  • Can anyone tell me how to remove the factory radio from a 2005 sl500?
  • 1. Why do you want to remove your radio?

2. The radio is in intrigel part of the car. Uses multiplexed fiberoptics which I am told do other car functions. Any good installer should have the small tools that slide along side the radio for removal.

Trying to replace the radio with another brand can be big trouble.
  • I'm going to replace it with the european version of the same radio, it works the same way with the same connections but I can watch dvds while I drive and a tv tuner can be hooked up to it.
  • tkalotatkalota Posts: 1
    I am not an NBA player, however, I am as big as one: 6’8” – I am looking for an after-market custom car interior shop, preferably in the Southern California area, that can modify the driver’s seat to increase length and height from the factory built specs. Can anyone make some recommendations?
  • corbeilcorbeil Posts: 1
    Hello I,m researching , boosting the power in my 91 SL 500, Can anyone tell me for a fact the best way to go about it. Keep in mind car has only 58000 original km.and is show clean, so buying one with more power is out of the question. Sincerly Terry PLS. RESPOND......
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
    A reporter from a large finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who just purchased a new Mercedes-Benz SLK350. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than June 23, 2008.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• leroy10leroy10 Posts: 1
    My wife owns a 1987 560 SL with 138K miles. Recenty the car stopped on her while driving and would not restart. We were told the car needed a fuel pump. A few weeks and $900 later the same thing happend. Again, everythihg checked out, the battery, starter, alternator, etc. This time, the repair shop found nothing wrong with the car. Was unable to duplicate the problem my wife had experienced. So we reluctantly brought the car home. Low and be hold the car stopped on my wife again. After the car sat for a few hours, she was aboe to drive it home.

It seems it happens after the car has been driven for a while. The repair shop claims the car was driven and tested while cold and after being driven

Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on?
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Dont you think its time to replace a 21 years old car?