Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New RAM 1500 Quality

2»

Comments

• prmartin1prmartin1 Posts: 14
    I'm having the same promlem as newramfan, slip on the drivers seat, if I slam my anchors on it slips about 1/2 an inch. Do you have the electronic seat adjustments, maybe the electric motor is slipping under extreme force.

I'm also getting an annoying squeak that occurs only on long bumpy roads, e.g. not a single bump but lot's of little bumps. It's coming from the front, I can't hear it outside and it's not from in the dash. Anyhow, I'm not losing sleep over it, I'm off to the dealers next friday to go for a test drive with the service mgr to see what he can do?

Hope everyone keeps on enjoying their Rams!
  • newramfannewramfan Posts: 22
    Sorry so long on reply. For some reason I haven't been getting updates until now. Anyway, Yes I have the power driver seat. Haven't had it checked out yet, as I thought I would have it fixed at my first service. No squeeks yet.
  • halostatuehalostatue Posts: 1
    Wondering if any of you have noticed that one tailgate cable is taut, and the other is slack? I'm concerned that this will lead to the tailgate warping, bending the box, my cap won't fit, etc. The dealer says this is normal(!!!).
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    I have went fishing many times with a friend from work, his boat is about 21 feet long with a 150 HP Merc. I would guess 4-5K pounds total weight. The only real test of towing ability is the bridge at Seabrook. His 97 Ram would pull this bridge in 3rd with no problem - same with my 99 Z-71 - I just put it is tow haul and it holds 3rd gear. The 2002 Ram started up the hill in third, but down shifted into second before we made it to the top. This happened both ways. It seemed like the engine just did not have the power needed to maintain speed while going up hill. The rest of the time (flat land) it seemed to handle the load with no problem. Also no problem pulling boat out of the water - and the ramp is steep.
    I like the looks of the Ram. Handled great, ride is smooth. But if I was planning on doing any towing - I would want more HP. I don't know what rear end he has - maybe that is the problem.
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I was told a few weeks ago that in a side-by-side "test" between a 2000 RAM extended cab (2WD, 318, auto) and a 2002 Quad Cab (2WD, 4.7, auto) that the two were neck and neck up to 65 miles and hour. That, however, is not a torque test.

I would think that with the 4.7 developing just slightly more HP and torque that there really shouldn't be a difference in pulling ability. However, the 45RFE is reported to be more sensitive to shifting under load conditions as low pump pressures under low speed load situations can overheat certain components, especially on overdrive automatics. My wife's nephew, a auto trans technician, says that's a common problem with autos from every manufacturer.

XYZ71, you didn't say which engine the '97 RAM had. Was it the 360 motor?

Dusty
    Me and #2 son checked four new RAM 1500s at the local Dodge dealer this morning. I did notice an ever-so-slight difference in the tautness of the cables. Would it cause a problem? Don't know. I gave the cables a close inspection and judging from the way they're made I would guess they go through some initial stretching when weight is applied to the gate. This might balance out after a while.

Worth mentioning to the dealer, though. Get it down on paper if there is a problem later. Then there will be a record of it.

Dusty
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    The 97 had the 318 (5.2L?)

I am not trying to slam the new Ram -I think the engine sound is great - it gives you the feeling that there is a lot of power - but when you get to a hill - and are towing a load - the noise does little to get you top the top.
    Assuming there's little difference either way between the 318 and 4.7, I'm suspicious that the difference is really between the 45RE/46RE versus the 45RFE. The several people I've talked to that went from an older 318 RAM to the 4.7 think the 4.7 is noticeably snappier in any gear.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think the 45RFE is programmed to kick down sooner under certain load conditions. I've heard a similar complaint from an owner of a Chevy with the new Allison.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • b360b360 Posts: 6
    My 94 had and still does have slack/taunt cables. Has'nt got any worse with use even after
    setting pallets up to 1600 lbs. on it
  • twinscrewtwinscrew Posts: 53
    My I-net home page had a blurb about Dodge recalling '02 1500 4X4's made before Nov '01 for a rear axle mount problem. It said there was a bad weld and that the dealer would install a reinforcement bracket. I thought the rear would be the same on 2wd. Bought mine in Dec so it could be in the recall. Haven't heard anything from Dodge yet. Anyone know any details?

BTW: 24K miles on mine so far. It is worked hard every day. Rough roads, heavy loads, lots of towing, dirty conditions.... 0 problems (am knocking on wood as I type....you just can't be too careful).
  • brnzbkbrnzbk Posts: 33
    Twinscrew, check out my post in this discussion, #22.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Posts: 387
    about a recall on all the new 1500 Ram's? Just curious, I was told by a dealer that quite a few are being recalled for something wrong with the engine.

That's all he told me. Anyone know if this is true?
  • plywoody47plywoody47 Posts: 11
    Anybody notice the beginings of pitting on the grille? I wash mine weekly, but it is parked most of the week. Noticed what looks like the start of pitting on the grille yesterday when washing it. Only 1,800 miles and 2 months of ownership, this could be a problem over the long haul...
  • filmrmfilmrm Posts: 1
    I also noticed that only one side is taut. Thought I had a cable length difference, but it was actually the tailgate higher on one side. Check out the tailgate height against the box height on each side. Probably different. This can be adjusted below on the hinge.
  • jroy59jroy59 Posts: 2
    Has gone dead a couple of times.
    Dealership where purchased in AL. are not very interested in listening just making excuses.
    Gas mileage is 10-12 mpg hwy.
  • wsmoorewsmoore Posts: 14
    That is pretty bad mileage. I have the 5.9L, and am getting about
    12.5 mpg in 50/50 mixed city/highway driving, but it goes up to
    about 16 on the freeway with the cruise control set at 65. If you
    live in an area with lots of hills, that could explain the difference.
    My instantaneous mileage will drop to 5 mpg on some long
    grades (but then it will be 40 mpg on the downhill side).

So far my 02 QC has been trouble free (3 months and 2600 miles)...
  • jlamarjjlamarj Posts: 19
    Where is the dealership? I am in Alabama (Prattville)also.
    I talked to a Dodge technician yesterday and asked him. He's not aware of any common malady with the 4.7 engine. In fact, he made the comment that his dealership has yet to touch one for any reason at all, not even an oil leak. He seemed to be pretty high on the 4.7 engine.

Dusty
  • 02ramman02ramman Posts: 62
    Seen your post about the rear door locks not working when it was cold. Mine had the same problem. First trip in they said it worked fine at the time (it was warm) and basically said normal operation. When I showed the tech that it was harder to pull up manually than the front ones, he pulled the side panel. There was some padding to keep the rod from rattling and it seemed to him that they installed to much of it. So he removed a portion and I have had no problems since. Hopefully this will help out
    Steve
  • eleets00eleets00 Posts: 27
    Hello all! I've been researching the new Ram Quad Cab & "02"F150-SCrew. I'm wondering if the Dodge has the same type of extra storage space behind the rear seats as the F150-SCrew. On the Ford you can fit 2-12" sub, amps, & etc... Really like the look & the reputation of the New Ram, but love listening to music. I've pretty much have come to grips with the gas mileage. Now all I have to do is choose. So has anyone installed a stereo system yet? Any info given will be greatly appreciated...
    Have an 02 ram QC and there appears to be no room behind rear seat and the back of the cab. Might be able to take the seat out and find some room, but it looks tight with them installed. Hope this helps
    Steve
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Usual install is under the rear seats. Only thing that will fit behind the seats are the amps. Especially 12" subs. A lot of speaker manufacturers have custom boxes for under the rear seats.
  • eleets00eleets00 Posts: 27
    for responding. I've left several messages on the Ford for advice & no responses. Thanks for being helpful...
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    I am watching to see the quality from the perspective of no or at least few failures and how Dodge deals with them.
    There are folks in the GM camp that have had failures that GM is not fixing.
    The length of the warrantee means nothing if they don't honor it.
    Yes, I drive a Chevy. I shopped for a Ford, and was surprised to buy a Chevy. It was beyond warrantee so I am not in that boat.
    I am reading your experiences to see if my next truck will be a Dodge.
    Got a friend with a Dodge Truck that sits in his driveway waiting for the lease to end. Something about the brakes wearing out in less than 5K miles and the local dealer thinks it's normal.
    I want to know about the new truck quality and reliability.
    Thanks
  • tartan1tartan1 Posts: 2
    akjbmw:
    I have driven my 2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 QC 24K miles and been extremely happy with it. I have owned a Ranger, and two Toyota pickups and the I like the Ram the best. No problems (knock on wood) yet. However, I would go for a Ram Offroadster with the beefed up shocks and bigger tires. I have hit the axel just going over curbs and dropping stuff off at the landfill. I may end up putting larger tires on it eventually to get around this. I think I should mention the cab comfort in regards to the seats. I have had 3 back surgeries and found the seats to be unparralleled in truck comfort. They are really supportive for my back. The truck rides nice as well. Hope this helps.
  • penrosepenrose Posts: 31
    Recently my 2002 Ram 1500 has been showing zero oil pressure for a couple seconds causing my check gauge light to come on. This only lasts a second or two then the pressure goes back up and the light and warning tone go off. My concern is that it only does this when you slow down to under 15mph, when the oil pressure is at its lowest. Only have 5700 miles on the 4.7. Have an appointment on Monday with dealer.
    Penrose,

There is a TSB out for this. It is an update to the PCM. The zero oil pressure will set of your check gauges light. The update will slow down the updates from the oil pressure sensor, eliminating the drop to zero and the check gauges light. Your actual engine oil pressure is fine. Good luck at the dealer!
    02ramman
  • penrosepenrose Posts: 31
    02ramman,
    Thank you for the information. My 5 star dealer knew nothing about this and could not duplicate it, during the two days they had my truck. I will bring back this information to the dealer. Thanks again.
2»
This discussion has been closed.