Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mini Cooper v. Hyundai Tiburon v. Acura RSX v. Subaru WRX

191011121315»

Comments

• Some of my friends told me that I should have bought the WRX. I bought my RSX Type S for about $25k and my friend bought his for almost the same price. I really considered the WRX since I wanted to get a sedan after owning a coupe for 8 years. I also liked the WRX's agressive styling, handling, and turbo boxer engine. The only thing that I didn't like was the gas mileage. I drive approximately 35miles+ one way to work and I believe having a turbocharged engine with premium fuel required would be too costly for me. Gas mileage is what I consinder a serious factor in owning a car and this led me to own an RSX Type S. Although I didn't get 4-doors and a turbo, I got the leather seats and other stuff that comes optional in a WRX (moonroof, spoiler, etc.). And with the Type S, I got better gas mileage that would be impossible to get in a WRX. Now the gas prices has gone up, I really felt that I made the right decision. Also, I heard that turbocharged engines are more costly to maintain (like quicker timing belt replacement and all). Is this true? Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Subaru's intervals are faily long, it's 105k miles on my Forester. 8 years later I still haven't had to do that.

Your Type S takes premium fuel also, right?

-juice
  • Oh, then it's not bad then. I was under the impression that turbocharged engines are too costly to operate. Well I guess it all goes down to the gas mileage for me then. Yes, my Type S uses premium fuel with 26/31 mpg. I once thought of trying to feed it with regular fuel considering the hiking gas prices, but my friend told me that there's a huge possibility of damaging a premium-fuel-required engine due to the piston knocking caused by lower octane fuel. Have you actually tried this? Well, I am just willing to pay extra for gas rather than to pay for parts and labor later on a damaged engine because of improper fuel type. I did read an article about fuel grades don't make much of a difference. But in my understanding, this only works for engines that do not require premium fuel.
  • .. congrats on your Type S. They really are a decent car. I also have a 35 + mile commute - one way. the gas price gauging in south/central jersey has stabilized due to a number of lawsuits, but i can't remember the last time i had to pay almost $3.50/ gallon for gas... and i remember the 70's...

maybe i should get out of the rare book trade and get into the oil business... or better yet a more honourable profession like strongarming or graft... :mad:
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, stick with premium. The difference usually amounts to $100-150 per year, not all that much.

-juice
  • Yeah,that's what I'm doing now. Thanks for your feedback. $100 - $150, or even $200 per year is okay for me compared to paying labor and parts for repairs. Not to mention the possibility of the dealership voiding the warranty of the car for using the wrong fuel type.
This discussion has been closed.