Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord - 2003 Redesign

nautikernautiker Posts: 32
edited March 6 in Honda
Is there any interest here about the redesigned 2003 Accord?? I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion as of yet. Supposed to be more of a drivers oriented sedan w/ possible 3.2 or 3.5 liter v6--220-240hp??--and a possible 6 speed. Believe to be released in Sep. Hopefully will have actual pics and not drawings sometime before then. If anybody catches anything out there. . please post. And a wagon too??--Honda better bring it back. Now is the right time for a wagon. Early-Mid 90's wasn't w/ the starting of the SUV craze. . just my thoughts

Comments

• Hasn't this been discussed off and on for about the last 6 months in the regular "Honda Accord" thread?
  • Pure speculation, but if you look at the differences between a '00 Civic and a '01 Civic as a clue, I would expect the new Accord to go away from the double wishbones up front, have a shorter hood, grow slightly, and be roomier inside.

I've also heard that the next 2-door Accord will be sportier and even further differentiated from the 4-door than currently. It will be a de-facto replacement for the Prelude in the Honda lineup. I would guess the 2 door would get a 6-speed but the sedan might not.

Also, I agree about the wagon. It would be well received, IMO.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I would be stunned if the Accord moved away from the double wishbone. Civic did it to add interior space. No need to do that with the Accord. Plus it really give it a sportier ride then the Camry. I do hope they improve the front leg room or offer a tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Either way they should not go to far from the current design esp. after the success of last year sales. They are killiing the Camry and I expect that to continue.
  • I wasn't sure if the demand for info concerning the remodel warranted a new discussion. I thought that there would have been enough discussion to post a new topic on this vehicle. . I'll go back to the "Honda Accord" discussion and post there. . .At some point, though, the differentiation will need to be made between the current and future generation discussions
  • Well, I guess we'll see in about 6-8 months, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't have the double wishbones.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Honda needs to pay close attention to the Nissan Altima. As where as they probably never felt threatened by the VW Passat when it first came out back in '98, they do certainly need to look up to the new Altima.

The current Altima puts both, the new Camry and current Accord to shame. Honda needs to go back to their 1980's ideology of well made, sporty, innovative and interesting cars. Today's Accord is a good appliance to get from point A to point B, nothing less, nothing more.

Honda can and it is capable of producing a very good Altima contender with better interior quality, better engines, etc.

But for 2003 I am not holding my breath. Honda has become the "Sleeping pill" company per excellence, what a shame.

Honda needs to bring back the Accord Station wagon. Not everyone wants an Oddessey, Passport, Pilot or CR-V as their daily commuter.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    teo- According the automotive press, the New Altima is a mixed bag.. both Car and Driver and Consumer Reports rate it lower than the 02 Camry and Accord. What is unanimous is that the New Altima offers a better driver's experience, not a better quality or overall experience. When purchasing our new Camry, my parents test drove all three. Which one did they rule out first? The Altima. (but due to Nissan's agressive marketing, I got a really cool Kenneth Cole Messenger Bag out of the deal!)

dtownfb:
    What sales stats are you looking at? Since the full inception of the 02 Camry, it has been outpacing the Accord in sales. (Nov, Dec, Jan). INDEED, the Accord over took the adimittedly tired last gen Camry, and the higher sales of the 02 model couldnt overcome that in Calendar Year 01, so the Accord wound up on top.
    ~alpha
  • nofeernofeer Posts: 381
    Yes there is interest, i've asking about the 03 accord on the other accord forum for a while with a little insight, granted to have two forums for accord may be redundant but i'll look at both. It's the number 1 selling car this year, when camry and accord sniff, others get pneumonia. I love hondas got a 96 dx accord for my son with 29k miles from a little ol' lady that didn't want to drive anymore--no joke, no wear on the seats or anything--one of those once in a many moons situation. she needed to sell in 15 days or pay 6 months of insurance. right place right time. I've had to put cruise control (major challange since honda doesn't make it available, bought it from Rostra, then they tell me they discontinued it boy was i lucky) My son doesn't need the power windows or locks, but it gave me a chance to drive the base engine compared to my previous ex vtec engine. vtec much better but this will do nicely for the next 8-10 years. My wife an I are looking to buy the new Pilot. So i would love to know anything about the new accord.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    Dear Honda:

Keep the Accord "low" looking. Don't raise up the roofline like you did with the Civic, and how Toyota did with the new Camry. The Civic and Camry might as well be Subaru Foresters, they are so tall and awkward looking. I always thought that the Accord was the most boring looking car out there. After seeing the new Camry - I prefer boring over goofy. :)
  • I tend to agree with alpha in post 8. The Altima may appeal to enthusiast drivers more than a Camry or Accord, because it has the most horsepower, but I still think the average family sedan buyer is looking more at reliability, safety, comfort, room, durability, etc... over "sportiness".

Just for me personally, the Altima doesn't turn me on much in the styling department. I don't like the rear end, the tail-lights look like some aftermarket parts from a "slammed" Civic. All it's missing are the ridiculously huge wing and the No Fear stickers
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,456
    Bring back the wagon!!
  • With the recently introduced Altima, redesigned Camry and soon to be released Infiniti G35 (My favorite out of the three), I hope Honda has it's eyes and ears open. I, for one, love to drive and want a driver's oriented vehicle. . .with Honda quality and reliability. I hope that Honda's new Accord is a step in the "drivers" direction. . .otherwise, I'll be looking @ a base G35 for $27.6k w/260hp/ft lbs of torque....and a 6speed. For those who haven't seen a rendition of the 03Accord, here is an artists rendition of the front and rear. This site updates their info frequently--I believe it's Japanese based

http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie.html
  • I don't think comparing a G35 to an Accord is apples-to-apples at all. I doubt you'll see a G35 leave a dealer's lot for much less than $30K. Good luck trying to find a "stripped" or "base" model G35. I bet the average transaction price for an Accord will be around 20K or less - (obviously, more like $25K if you get leather, V6, sunroof, etc..., but the typical Accord LX is around 19-20k)
  • I saw a drawing concept of the 03 Accord and it looked like a bigger 2001-2 Civic. A higher roof and all.

But, what it really will look like is one of the best kept secrets of today's car world.
  • The Japanese seem to do a much better job of keeping the looks of a new car secret right up until the launch.
  • aftyafty Posts: 499
    I still think the average family sedan buyer is looking more at reliability, safety, comfort, room, durability, etc... over "sportiness".

Why why make it an either/or comparison? If you could have a sporty family car that was also safe, reliable, etc., wouldn't you choose it over a boring one? Isn't that pretty much what Nissan has done with the Altima?
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    If mag-x is right, the 2003 Accord will have a lot in common with the new Mazda 6, which will become much more sporty also. It should be interesting to compare the two.

I sure hope it doesn't look like a bigger 2001-2 Civic...YUCK!
  • You're absolutely right. They are not in the same segment. I have owned Hondas all of my life. I currently have a 01 Civic EX and my wife has a 98 Accord LX-V6. Both are great cars and I wouldn't trade them even for any Toyota. Nissan and Infiniti are starting to come into their own, though, and It will be interesting to see what they come out with in the next couple of years. What I would like to have and what I can afford are usually 2 different vehicles. Isn't this always the case?

In any event, I am impressed with Honda's build quality and solidity. I'm sure the new Accord will trounce any further thoughts of that G35.
  • As I posted in the regular Honda site, Mag X was surprisingly close with their pre-release sketch of the new Subaru Forester.

There would be more of a buzz about this revision if Honda weren't so good at holding its cards close to the chest. They have the discipline to keep a secret until they want to pop it out.
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    i think it's a good idea to start this topic. there was one for the new altima and there's one currently for the mazda 6, so why not one for the accord 03? whenever a new accord debuts, the auto industry takes notice.

since the current mazda 626 isn't selling very well, mazda will have more information available on their next car. since the old altima didn't sell very well either, you basically knew everything about the new car way ahead of the cars release. the only speculation left was about gas mileage. the accord is a different story, honda wants to sell as many of the current accords as possible.

my speculation (all you can do at this point) is that the redesigned accord will have the most radical departure from the current car in it's history. i read rumors to that effect anyway. v6 engine displacement will go to at least 3.2l with at least 225 bhp. remember, a honda vp said the altima's 240 bhp won't be enough. they'll keep the double wishbone suspension since the redesigned tl will be based upon new accord. and yes, the new coupe will be a replacement for both the prelude and current coupe.
  • No doubt - Honda worries about the Accord more than any other model it makes. Nissan had the 'luxury' of having 'no where to go but UP' with their Altima. Honda - on the other hand - has no where to 'go' but DOWN. Being number ONE is a tough position to be in. Honda sells 400,000 or so Accords each year. Obviously they're doing SOMETHING 'right'. Still - what's available TODAY is much better than it was when Honda FIRST introduced 'todays' Accord. More and more people are starting to seriously consider [so called] American cars - again - and the competition [from Japan and Germany] is MUCH tougher than it used to be. My guess - Honda won't take too many risks with the next Accord. Sure - maybe they'll give 'it' more power and even add a gear to the transmissions [both automatic AND manual] but probably not much more than that. In fact - and as far as I'M concerned - that's all they SHOULD do.

Speaking of engines - I bet honda sticks with the 3.0 litre V6 as the top engine but increases the horsepower. [probably to 220] The basic TL has 225 so Honda will [probably] avoid crossing THAT 'line'. Then again - the Acura MDX in 2003 is supposed to have a 3.8 litre V6. [up from the current 3.5] If that's TRUE - AND the TL ALSO gets that 3.8 litre engine - then maybe Honda WILL stuff a 3.2 into the Accord.

I'm glad someone started this topic.

Craig!! :o)
  • carguy62carguy62 Posts: 545
    "Still - what's available TODAY is much better than it was when Honda FIRST introduced 'todays' Accord."

As someone else mentioned, a recent review by C&D had the current Accord, which is basically a five year old design, beating the newer designs from Toyota and Nissan.
  • Yeah, I doubt they'll mess too much with success. Like the old saying - "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I bet it will be basically an "evolutionary" change, like the difference between a '00 and a '01 Civic, not a "revolutionary" change in looks. Like you said, if you have the consistently #1 or #2 best seller, you don't need to make alot of radical changes to it. You're already delivering what the marketplace wants.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    Forgive me for not keeping up to date with the individual monthly sales (actually nice to know that info, I just don't where to look it up). I just went by the end of the year sales. i hope Honda does not feel they have to change too much. All they need now is a freshening on the side, maybe a tweak here and there on the interior. Put a bigger 4 cylinder in it like 180 hp and there set.

If anyone gets a look at the actual pix, please let us know.
  • stragerstrager Posts: 308
    I read an article in Business Week quite some time back that said that Toyota's Product Development VP relies on MagX to keep up with industry rumors! Also the article quoted the MagX chief saying that he triple checks every sketch/picture for accuracy. Chances are excellent that those latest pictures are in fact what the new Accord will look like.
  • ambullambull Posts: 255
    Is there a different Accord for the Japanese domestic market versus the North American market?
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    Just take the one from the 3.2 CL and voila.
    Please, Honda. make a sports sedan!
    A 5 speed 4 banger will not be enticing enough
    INKY
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    I check MagX frequently. The problem I find with it is that their drawings are far too artistic. They made the '02 Camry look absolutely beautiful. I think the new Camry is just fine, but it sure doesn't live up to the MagX pictures. The same seems true of all the cars they show, and I am sure the new Accord will not be nearly as sleek looking as they show it.

That said, I am not putting down the Accord. It will no doubt be a fine car, but I wouldn't expect exactly what MagX is showing.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Yes. Currently, there are three variations under the same name - Honda Accord. The Japanese and European Accords are smaller than American Accord.
    European Accord: Choice of 1.8 liter (140 HP), 2.0 liter (150 HP), 2.2 liter (210 HP), 2.3 liter (150 HP) engines, 4 and 5 door models.
    European Accord - 1

European Accord - 2

Japanese Accord: 1.8 liter (140 HP), 2.0 liter (150-180 HP), 2.2 liter (220 HP, Euro-R model), 2.3 liter (150 HP/200 HP, SiR wagon)

JapaneseAccord

For 2003, rumor is that Honda will merge European and Japanese Accord, and manufacture them only in Japan (European Accord is currently manufactured in UK plant which will shift its production line to Civic 3/5 door and CRV for Europe and export to NA/Japan).
This discussion has been closed.