Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• sweetknesssweetkness Posts: 2
    So I've been having this probelm for a few months now. Once I start my car, when I'm coming to the first few stops, or going in reverse, the car starts to shake a little then dies. When I try to give it gas, very little seems to get through, like the lines are plugged, and I can't accelerate. Again this is mainly while stopped just after starting. I have have tune ups recently, spark plugs look fine. I was told that my fuel filter cannot/doesn't need to be replaced. The only other problem I have been experiencing that could be related is if I drive more than about 30 miles above 60, my check engine light comes on, then goes back off a few days later. I was told that it is because of an oxygen sensor, could this be causing the problems discussed earlier??? Please help, I have taken it to one mechanic and gotten nowhere.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,688
    Sure faulty oxygen sensor could create all kinds of problems. But a good mechanic should be able to identify the problem. If your check engine light came on, the computer is probably storing an error code for you.

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host
  • sweetknesssweetkness Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. Apparently the error code was related to one of my oxygen sensors. I know there are probably some better mechanics I can go to, but I really want to get an idea of what it could be instead of going there and paying for 5 different things before the problem is found.
    Well the 02 sensor code is tricky, because all that means is that the 02 sensor is upset...whether IT'S bad, or something else is bad that is causing it to malfunction---that's the question that a good mechanic can decipher.

If he does replace the 02 sensor, get a factory one, not an aftermarket one. Buy it from Toyota.
  • mikebalmikebal Posts: 8
    Hi, Can anyone suggest where I can order a repair or shop guide for my 2005 Corolla online?? Thanks in advance, Mike
  • sales2010sales2010 Posts: 33
    Maybe e-bay
  • tiffdtiffd Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Toyota corolla s and its every 7 months on the day i have to change my breaks. I talked to the dealer and they said it was me, the last time i had to change them i was very careful, never slamed on the breaks, didnt ride them or anything, still 7 months to the day i am changing them. this has been 3 times now. is anyone else having this problem or is it just me? please help me!!!!!!! :cry:
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    You don't mention which brakes, but I'm assuming it is the front brake pads since they are the first to wear out and do the majority of the stopping. Normally you should be able to get 20-30K (or even more) on a set of brake pads. So that tells me that either you are a very fast/aggressive driver, you drive with your left foot resting on the brake pedal, or there is something wrong with the vehicle. Only you would know whether you are the cause or not.

Problems in the brake system would be a little unusual in a 2 yr old vehicle, but not out of the realm of possibility. This is probably why the dealership is suspecting you are the problem. Could be a sticking caliper, perhaps a blockage/crimp in the brake line, defective master cylinder, etc.

If you let go of the steering wheel while driving, does the vehicle drift to the right or left and the steering wheel turn by itself? If it does, this could be an indication of a sticking caliper on the side it drifts to.
  • tiffdtiffd Posts: 2
    I only drive with one foot and no im not an aggressive driver. I have noticed that the car shakes when I go to stop. what does that mean? i mean i bought the extended thing and everything but the dealer only looks at the brakes nothing else. I beleive if they look at something else they will see its the car not me.
    it means your brake rotors are warped which could explain your severe brake wear.
  • I've always been told it's a good idea to change your oil in a brand new car within the first 1000 miles to get any engine debris out from first use.
  • I have an '06 corolla, when my check engine light came on i was told i needed to have the fuel pump replaced, however, i was told the computer also would need to be replaced since the new fuel pump cannot be calibrated with the current computer. is this so, or am i being taken advantage of by the service department?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Possible that it needs to be replaced also, but isn't this under warranty??
  • It is still under warranty, but the computer is fine. i just wondered if this was something due to the design of corollas.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    First I ever heard - there's always the occassional fluke!
  • vuceticvucetic Posts: 3
    I was given an estimate of $2,200 to replace all four struts on my '94 corolla (143,000 miles). Is this estimate believable, sounds way too much?
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    What is the value of a 13 year old Corolla with a 143K? I bet that is more than you could get for it.
  • Complete strut assembly should be about $110--$125 apiece, plus I'd figure 1 hour labor per strut, plus an alignment, so in my neck of the woods (California) that would add up, with sales tax to about $1,000--$1150 for good quality parts and good technical workmanship.

So you'd need to ask them to break down your estimate and see what they are selling you here aside from gold-plated struts. Are they including other front end work?
    Well, I would not bet on getting much more, but I would not sell it, I am going to keep it as long is it runs. And it runs great, actually, except for the rattling noise from the faulty struts. So I need to do something about them, but need to find a good shop that would not rip me off. Any ideas for Northern Virginia (Fairfax)?
    Thank, that is about what I was expecting. No additional fron work or anything, but I will ask for details of the estimate.

I thought that with some reasinably food maintenance I could drive it for at least another 50 K miles, is is reasonable to expect a Toyota Corolla to last to 200,000 miles? It really runs well now (143,000 miles).