Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Basic Maintenance Questions

1131415161719»

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Okay, I give up ! What's an induction service? Is that where they "induct" you into the Toyota Hall of Fame?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,264
    edited July 2012
    They spray Magic Fluid into your intake to clean your already clean injectors and dissolve non-existent carbon in your engine so that you're already smooth running engine will run smoother and your gas mileage will go up but not enough for NASA to measure. :P $150 please.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• allen74allen74 Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    Hi all:

What are the negative consequences, if any, of putting 4 quarts exactly of full synthetic oil into my 2010 Toyota Corolla instead of 4.4 quarts (which my owner's manual says is the capacity).

Will it damage my car? I am a bit of a novice in this area, so any information and advice would be appreciated.

FYI: 1.8L engine.

Thanks!!

(asking it here because it may be more on topic)
    No negatives other than you will be a half a quart less than full. Curious as to why you wouldn't want to top it off? If the motor is made to run optimumly on 4.4 qts. why not fill it with 4.4qts.?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    edited October 2013
    I assume because you don't want to buy an extra quart of expensive synthetic oil?

2 things:

1. If you are still in the powertrain warranty period (5 years, 60,000 miles), don't bother with synthetic - waste of money. You have to change the oil every 5,000 or 6 months to keep the warranty valid, so synthetic makes no sense financially.
    Now, starting with the 2011 model year Corollas, they have the 1 year, 10,000 mile oil change interval with full synthetic.

2. If the oil level is within the marks on the dipstip, you are fine, BUT if something would happen to use/leak oil, and you are not up to the top full line on the dipstick, then you have even less oil that you can lose before you have a very bad situation (oil starvation). But no real problems IF the oil level is between the marks. You would definitely want to check your oil more often, just in case. But this engine is EXTREMELY reliable.
  • Thanks dawg.
    Dump another half quart of oil into the car and don't worry about it for another 7000/8000 miles. Don't be so cheap! Do you really want to take a chance on engine damage for a half can of oil for $5.00 ? ? ? ? ? Full synthetic is the best for your Corolla.
  • I've driven my car for about two days now. Can I still put in the new 0.4 quart in without doing damage?
    Absolutely, you can add oil to your car anytime you need it. Pull out your dipstick with the yellow top on it to see if the oil mark is in the shaded area of the dipstick, if it is your good, if not add some oil.
  • Running it full will let the oil run a little cooler and contamination will be diluted 10% more.
    Those things are just as helpful as running synthetic vs dino, IMHO; especially in an engine that doesn't even need syn.
    Back when I had my '75 Civic my mechanic friend at the dealer suggested running ~1/2 qt over full on highway trips.
    The margin was there.