Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• geobluegeoblue Posts: 71
    Cold air intake and better fuel economy? Are you serious? I thought the more oxygen you let in the combustion chamber the more fuel it will suck and that means more fuel consumption. Am I wrong?
    'I purchased a 1998 Corolla with 189,000 miles. I know this year has a 'timing chain' rather than a 'timing belt'. My concern and questions is: Should I pay my local Toyota Dealer $630.00 (parts and labor) to replace the Water Pump before it self destructs, or, should I just wait until it begins to leak or completely falls apart? I have no idea how long Water Pumps are supposed to last in this car and if I don't replace it now will it destroy the engine when it does go out. Please help me determine what to do!! Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to help me.
    Mike from Seattle.'

Maybe it is too late of an answer but I want to reply. Why do you think the water pump is going to die? I presume you had never owned a Toyota before. Am I right?
    It is not your usual Detroit crap.It will last a million miles if regular maintenance is done to the car (oil/filter changes,transmission fluid drain/refill,coolant drain and refill etc etc).
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,045
    >It is not your usual Detroit crap

I noticed the comment about US brands. :sick:

It should be possible to talk about Corollas without trying to denigrate US brands. As for water pumps, my GM's since 1981 have never needed one. Last three were 150K miles (wife made me trade it), 169K miles on a 1998 currently own at 11 years, and a 2003 at 83K. I have spent little at the dealer for repairs on these cars. I believe one needed an alternator at 80K. :)

I noticed the post because of the $630 price at the dealer -- WOW :cry: -- and because it's a 1998 like my second car. Good luck with your Toyotas; may all your repairs be little ones. :D
  • raybbraybb Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Corolla and one of my break-lights stopped working. I would like to know how to change it step by step.
    Get a repair book, Chilton's or Haynes.It is 15 dollar or so at ebay.You will need it.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Usually the owner's manual covers procedures for changing light bulbs such as brake lights. Doesn't the Corolla manual have that?
    'It should be possible to talk about Corollas without trying to denigrate US brands.'

It is not denigrating.It is stating a fact.Why do you think ALL 3 of them have failed? They failed miserably.They are being kept alive artificially through taxpayer bailouts.
    They have not made a single reliable fuel efficient car ever.In their entire histories.
    And now they shamelessly are demanding more taxpayer money as a reward for their failures.

You might be one of the few luck D3 (I call them C3) owners around. People who have never owned a Toyota (for example) think that it is normal to pay for transmission rebuilding, engine rebuilding jobs in the lives of their cars. It is certainly NOT.They think it is normal to pay for repairs. It is not. The only things that might fail in cars should be brakes, tires, lightbulbs etc. Not the transmission or the engine.

I want them to succeed but they obviously do not want to have a successful business.They want to get bailed out frequently. They want to keep building gas guzzlers. They want to keep building inferior quality vehicles. They should be ashamed.
    Backy,

Have you had any electrical problems with Jetta? I heard VW Passats and Jettas are known for elusive electrical issues. Is that true or not?
    No, no problems for me, but I don't see how my Jetta is on-topic here.
    If you are offended, I am sorry.It is on your profile.
    Would just like to keep things on topic here. If you want to talk about the cars I own or have owned, it should be about the 2 Corollas I've owned and their maintenance.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    I really don't think you should require purchasing a Chilton's repair manual for $15.00 to change a light bulb. Like someone mentioned it should be in your new car manual. But really, I'm assuming it's just like previous Corollas and other cars. You just pop the trunk open, look for the connector in the back with the wiring attached depending on which side your bulb is burned out. Twist this plastic connector to the left and pull out. The burned out bulb will be attached. Replace bulb from any auto store and replace the same way.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    That info should be in your owner's manual.

• Sometimes when I press on my 2007 corolla brake pedal, I hear squeaky sounds (like an old bed spring), not squealing sounds like when pads need changing. A rep at the dealership says there is nothing that can be done about the squeaky sound, that it will be there forever. He says the brakes have been inspected and they look fine. Is this accurate info?
  • my brother-in-law had one. at first he had me thinking that car was reliable, but thought wrong. the check engine light came on and he spent 400 dollars to get it fixed and a month later it was on again (electrical problem). what happened after that? dropped it off at the dealership and did not look back!
  • I bought a brans spanking new 2008 Toyota Corolla CE and only a few weeks into the purchase have had mice getting into the passenger cabin. Has anyone had this problem before or do I have a problem car?
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Well, you definitely have a problem but it certainly isn't the car. Doesn't seem to be a hard problem to solve though. Set a couple of glue traps when parking for the evening and you should catch the culprets by morning.
  • sefsef Posts: 3
    I changed the front bulbs for my 2006 but I don't think a guy could get his hand into that little opening for the left front one which sits right in front of the battery. My son couldn't get his in there.

Have not had to do the brake lights yet. It was all in the manual that came with the car.

Good Luck. The bulb units were $10.50 each at Autozone.
    They changed my t. fluid at 30,000. It was dirty. I made them show it to me and it really was.

The service guys push changing those fluids everytime I go in for service. I make them look at the fluids with me on a clean white paper towel which I take with me and tell them if it looks good to me and I check the fluids in between times. I am at 77,000 and have only changed the t. Don't forget they are all on commission and probably have to bill a certain amount per hour if I understand it correctly. They replaced the front brakes this time - my idea and I asked for the old brake pad so that I can monitor the wear.

When they replaced the brakes, the guy called me while the car was down and told me the O ring on the timing chain (?) had an oil leak and also that my brake fluid needed to be changed AFTER we had looked at it. I told them it could all wait.
    Good Grief! I think they are padding that payroll!! My 2006 has 77,000 on it and I just now replaced the front brake pads and replaced transmission fluid at 30,000 because I made them show it to me and it really was dirty. They will try to do everything you let them because they are on commission and have to bill an hourly amount. I emailed Toyota about my questions and even though they refer you back to your maintenance rep, they are more careful about it.

Make them show you what they want to do. Make them show you what those fluids look like on a clean white paper towel. They sound terrible to me if they didn't even rotate your tires. I mark one tire so that I know they have been rotated everytime. Everytime they tell me something, I get that manual out and show them it's not on the list for that mileage and make them explain it to me. Also, I have a son who knows a lot about car. I am so sorry.

They don't like it but I don't care.