Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Basic Maintenance Questions

Comments

• fgf001fgf001 Posts: 98
    The tranny fluid is unique to Toyota. Although there are a few synthetics that claim to be compatible I won't risk the warranty at this point.

FWIW our 03 automatic started shifting a little abruptly @ 18K miles. I had the pan dropped, in order to inspect the inside of it for debris, new gasket, refilled with Toyota fluid, and it shifts as new again.

There was little crud in the transmission pan but it made ME feel better to remove what was there. From this point on I'll drain and refill at 15K intervals to keep the fluid renewed.
  • beernutbeernut Posts: 329
    CAUTION!!

Bought a new S in November. At 750 miles, the brake pedal started making an occasional clicking noise on release. By 1400 miles it was most of the time and louder. It seemed like it was something hanging up in the pedal or master assembly. After three visits to the dealer and being told it was "normal" (which I knew it was not) they discovered the brake pedal assembly yokes, rods and clips were deformed in some fashion and were binding up, not fully releasing the pressure on the master for a second or two, then it would snap back up.

Replacement of the assembly fixed it - no harm done - but the question remains as to how long this would have gone on before the condition got bad enough that the brakes stayed slightly applied all the time and 1) prematurely wore out the pads/shoes or 2) boiled the juice and left me brakeless!

Anybody else have this problem?
  • 2050 miles and no mechanical problems. I will report that two panels in my dash have warped (I've only put 2 payments on this car). Thats not right. Will post more when more develops.

MM

Also: I ocassionally forget to release my parking break (ok ok, i know it happens). It still works and everything, is there any permanent damage that can occur from leaving it on by accident?
    Dear MM,

I wouldn't expect there to be any more permanent damage from leaving the parking brake on by accident than if you had left it on on purpose. (joke)

First, I assume its a stick. If its an auto, why put the parking brake on at all? I know, the Owner's Manual says blah, blah, blah, but in 130 years of driving, I've never set the parking brake on an automatic. Your choice.

If you drive with it on, the rear brakes drag and heat up - real hot. This could boil the brake fluid, cause brake failure and kill you and others. Once it cools down and condenses, you're back to normal, but stop doing that.

If hot enough for long enough, it could compromise the wheel bearings/grease and twist up the drums, so here again, stop doing that.

As a minimum, the shoes will certainly wear out faster which will cost you money to replace sooner rather than later, so - all together now - stop doing that.

If you had the parking brake really cranked on, you would probably know it right away. Since you've driven around for a while like that not knowing it, I suspect you only pull the handle lightly - probably nothing to worry about. If you have been doing this a lot, have the dealer look at it for you for peace of mind if nothing else.
  • I would like to save some money. Can someone tell me where I should pour automatic transmision fluid. Is there any filter? Can I have picture or drawing, please? Thanks
  • So, I bought a used Toyota Corolla 2004 and it's almost at the 30,000 mile mark. According to the Scheduled Maintenance Guide, I should get all this stuff done to it. I called some local dealers and non-dealers to ask what it would cost. It's basically between $220 (non-dealer) to $420 (dealer). Now, my question is, do I really need to do everything they say in the scheduled maintenance guide OR can I just a) change the oil b) change the engine air filter and c) replace the engine coolant?

Is there anything else I should be getting replaced? The Maintenance guide says a bunch of stuff needs to be checked. The cabin air filter seems to be a possibility and people here seem to be talking alot about replacing tranny fluid every 15K -- that seems excessive.

I live in Boston, where I sometimes do make short trips in subfreezing temperatures. So maybe I should get the auto transmission fluid replaced this time.
  • herrkaleuherrkaleu Posts: 62
    What is the sevice interval for 05 corollas? Often I read 7500 miles. According to toyota http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/pdfs/corolla_echo_service_05.pdf it is 5000 miles.
    What says the Manual you get with the car? I fear it says the same like toyota.com :-(
    Especially if you keep the warranty you need to follow the rules (even when stupid).
    Another one: do i need to take my corolla to a Toyota-shop? Even when it i only an oil change? in order to keep my warranty...
    I read (but unfortunatel didn'T find a source on honda.com) the civic has got 10K miles service interval. Since that is my second choice... the service could be the deciding factor.
    Talking about oil, why are the oil changes so often anyway? I mean, European toyota have 10K mile changes, VW/Audi , Opel have 20K/2 year miles oil changes (but in the US they sell cars with 5K miles changes). Is the oil cheaper, or the fuel worse?
    so what is the interval without risking to lose warranty?
  • cooljwcooljw Posts: 47
    Did you find the filler tube? It is next to the dipstick for the automatic transmission fluid under your hood.
  • Hi
    I own a 2001 Toyota Corolla with about 100,000 miles on it, i have not done a lot of maitenance other then oil change on it, and changed brakes
    What maintenance is suggested to keep it working.
    1, spark plug change
    2, flush transmission oil
    3 change hoses and rubber belts
    what about the struts, do they need any maintenance

ashish
  • tundradudetundradude Posts: 588
    flush the coolant

struts come much later
    Ashish,

The problem with your 2001 Corolla is compelling indeed, particularly since it is in the 100,000 mile range.

I hope to speak for all respectable mechanics when I recommend the following repair: Go in to the passenger compartment on the right side of the car. Immediately in front of the passenger front seat, like where the passenger's knees would go, there is a hidden compartment with a release latch on the face of it. When you pull that latch toward you and sort of up (not much force is needed), the access door to the hidden compartment will open. Inside this hidden compartment you will find a soft covered book that says "Owner's Manual" or something similar. This book contains much useful information and has a section in it relating to topics of "maintenance" ...............

Excuse me, I'll be right back..........
    thats pretty good

Anyone:

Keeping a record is not a bad idea either of what you done to know your frequencies.

They used to make those wonderful "at a glance" little books about autos. It was handy to keep all your info in it.
  • 05_xrs05_xrs Posts: 1
    Hi
    I need to know where the safe jacking points are under the car
    (not the slots on the frame sides)....
    so I can raise the rear of the car and get jack stands in position

any help or diagram would be great...

Thanks
    05_XRS
  • will i do any damage to my car if i start it in second gear??
    Not if you do it right and not all the time. I drove cars and trucks for a couple of years all together that had no first gear at all. Its not fun, and you can quickly smoke the clutch if you are always in a hurry or beat it too hard.
  • toyo_famtoyo_fam Posts: 1
    My 2001 corolla S 5-speed eats oil. It just disappears! It comes time to change my oil, and there's none left in there. I use Mobil 1 every time, tighten everything (filter, drain plug) and after 5000 miles it's empty. I know what you're thinking, but the concrete carport where it's parked is clean as a whistle, and it doesn't get parked any where else.
    I know I should check it more often, but it's my wife's car and I just don't think about it when I'm not driving.
    anyway, my question is whether or not anyone else's Corolla consumes oil this way...
    Thanks!
  • I have an 98 Corolla with about 89000 kms on it - I recently have been hearing a slight knocking on minor bumpy roads coming from the left rear - initially thought it was something loose in the trunk then I've started suspecting the bushings in the left rear sway bar - has anyone out there attempted to replace a bushing and if so how difficult was it ?
    I feel your pain. The only thing about our 95 Corolla is that it does the same thing with its oil. It did not do this until around 150K. It just disappears. I just carry extra oil and check it every 2000 or so miles. However, I do change the oil at 3000.

I just replaced my struts and shocks for the first time on the car. Its got around 170K now.

The car has been great, but it likes oil for the past two years.

I know someone else that had a 99 LE that was using oil much more frequently. It was doing 3 quarts per 1000. She now has a new Scion tC.
  • My 1990 Corolla has 173,000 miles and has the original clutch in it.
  • giyer50giyer50 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Corolla with about 65000 miles on it. I want to know if there is any chance of the transmission will mix witht he coolant?? What is the best check for this??

In that scenario will the radiator need to be replaced and transmission need to be flushed??

Will the coolant enter into the transmision oil or will the trasnmssion oil enter the cooling system.

I will apppreciate a expert advice on this issue . Thank you very much