Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I'm interested in a Toyota certified Corolla CE, 1999, with powered window, powered door lock, cruise controll, auto transmission, A/C, and ABS. It has 52 K. The dealer is asking for $8,500. I checked the retail price on both Edmund and KBB. It seems the price listed on Edmunds is very generous to dealership. And the price on KBB is $500 cheaper than the dealer asked. I'd like to get some information from Townhall. Thanks ahead for anyone willing to give advice.

Mike
  • jmyanajmyana Posts: 3
    How much should I pay for Corrola LE 2004 including Taxes and $750 CASH BACK.

Base Model +
    CL (Speed Control) $250 (KBB)
    EJ Radio $140 (KBB)
    Floor Mats (159 (KBB)

Tax is 6.5% in my Area Akron, OH
  • phantiquesphantiques Posts: 4
    Rude and aggressive sales persons in Davie Fl. I will try West Palm Beach if no luck Will Try Honda or Mazda.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I went to that same dealership last may and felt the same way, very pushy and aggresive. I finally had 2 leave as I didn't want the abuse anymore.

The Sandman :-)
  • juwhjuwh Posts: 1
    Here's the breakdown of what I paid:

PAID......Edmunds Invoice
    Corolla S 4drAuto...$13488.........$13950
    Cruise Control........$ 200.........$ 200
    AM/FM/CD 6 Spkrs..$ 30.........$ 30
    Sports Plus Pkg......$ 660.........$ 660
    Power Package.......$ 484.........$ 484
    Destination Chrg......$ 515.........$ 515

TDA (advertising) $ 270
    I asked for a waiver of this fee. No go. =(

Gasoline $ 6
    Yes, they charged for the gas!

Dealer Holdback $ 308
    Couldn't have this waived either.

Wholesale Financial Reserve $ 154
    I asked what this was for and they gave me a BS answer. Didn't feel like haggling for $154. Anyone know what this is?

Over invoice $ 300
    Agreed upon $300 over invoice. To feed the family of my salesman. He was a GREAT guy!

Tax, Liscn, Doc $ 1569.95
    The inevitable tax really hits hard on the final price.

REBATE -$ 750
    Yay! Although if you think about it, it just cancels out all the damn fees they charge. Marketing scheme?

So my final out the door price was $17234.95
    Before tax, liscence and doc it was $16415 - $750 Rebate

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. I went to another dealer about a week ago and was offended with "thanks for wasting my time" when right from the beginning, I told them we were JUST LOOKING. The guy even tried to make us sign financing papers and fill out various forms. Pshhh, yeah right. The dealer where I finally bought from was very friendly, no haggle, no pressure. They even gave my 2 yr old son balloons, popcorn and candy, keeping him busy while we finalized the deal. They let me sit uninterrupted for almost 30 minutes while I broke out my calculator and crunched the numbers.

Considering the time and stress factor, I think I came out pretty well. What do you guys think?

What did you guys pay?
    2004 Toyota Corolla CE - 5 speed manual tranmission, deluxe am/fm/cd/cassette stereo

MSRP: $14,239 INVOICE: $13,785 -$200 Internet Discount =$13,585 + $23.50 Fl Fees (waste tire and battery, express filing fee) = $13,608.50 + 816.51 (sales tax) = $14,250.01 + $65.00 Tag Transfer Fee ($197 for a new tag) = 14,490.01 - $1,000 Rebate = $13,490.01 OUT THE DOOR!

There are no additional fees and no gimmicks. We make the deal simple and straight forward. Plus when you purchase and have your new vehicle serviced with us you will get free tires and batteries for life. Let me know and I will get the vehicle here for you and ready for you to take it home.

I can be reached by email or by calling any of the numbers listed below
    Palm Beach Fl
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Im not sure, but if you are a salesperson yourself, you need to more thoroughly read the terms of the Edmunds.com membership agreement.

Please do not misuse the boards and get them shut down for the rest of us who use them for the intended purposes.

~alpha

PS- juwh- Congrats! Sounds like a sharp Corolla a a very fair price!
    No I am not a dealer just copied an email from one. I should not have included that last line. Wanted to show all the fees. Also in The 5 Southeastern states you must take the upgrade am/fm/cass/cd.
     I am sorry and will be more careful.
    No I am not a dealer just copied an email from one. I should not have included that last line. Wanted to show all the fees. Also in The 5 Southeastern states you must take the upgrade am/fm/cass/cd.
     I am sorry and will be more careful.
  • I recently purchased a Toyota Corolla LE and would like to share the numbers with everyone since this message board helped me out, I figure this is the way to pay back. Options were Cruise control, Weather package, Floor Mats, Trunk Mat and Net...

MSRP 16,748
    Edmunds Invoice : 15,415
    Price bought : 14,431 + Tax + Tags + 99 processing fee.

at that point I had the option of taking the 750 Cash back which would put the cost of the car at 13,681 OR the 1.9 Financing I took the 1.9%.

I think I fell into one trap though, the Extended waranty I paid 650 for 6 year /100,000 mile coverage just for my peace of mind.

Thats my 10 cents!
  • dlancerdlancer Posts: 9
    Well this may sounds funny. But is there anyone here from Quebec who just bought a corolla? I want to know whether I have a slim chance to get some discount. Paying FULL MSRP on a corolla isn't comfortable.
  • mystf18mystf18 Posts: 10
    Came back from a dealer, and was told that ABS was not necessary on a Corolla. He said that the braking system that comes standard is the equivalent of ABS. Is this true? Strikes me as odd since ABS is an option. Also, how necessary is ABS? He said abt the only way to get ABS is to also pay for side airbags, which my friends are saying is unnecessary.

Also, I am a student, and was thinking abt registering my vehicle in my school's state, instead of my home state b/c the tax rate is 2% less at school. Any drawbacks to this?

Thanks so much for any help.
  • mystf18mystf18 Posts: 10
    Can any1 tell me abt the $400 graduate incentive (for graduates in the last 2 yrs or those abt to graduate in 6 months)? If I want this rebate, how will this be checked? It would be a splitting of hairs to determine if I'm w/in that time frame. Also, if I'm not, does any1 think it's still possible to negotiate the additional $400 anyways? I feel like if the factory or dealer can offer $400 off to some, they could do it for me.

I truly appreciate any help.
  • lizservolizservo Posts: 5
    You need to show them a copy of your diploma...I took a picture and printed out a copy. They do check the date. Also, to get the rebate, you need to finance through Toyota...I did not know this until I got there and was thrown for a little loop, but all worked out just fine.

Also, about ABS. The dealer tried to tell me the same thing, but I wanted ABS and side airbags for safety. Extra airbags can save you money on insurance in some states (not mine) and they just released some crash test report and the cars that got high ratings were those w/side airbags. It's not that much extra for some added safety.

Good luck! :)
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    I agree with the above (lizservo) on all points. What do your friends know about side airbags, anyway? You're obviously doing your research, mystf18, since you elected to post here. (Welcome, btw).

Also, Im pretty sure the Graduate Rebate program is $1000 from now until Aug 31st on 2004 models. Toyota rebates are typically regional, but I was under the impression this is the nationwide offer for Grad. rebates.

~alpha
  • cocottecocotte Posts: 6
    You do not have to get side airbags in order to get ABS brakes. I think the dealership is saying this to up-sell the side airbags, or that's what they have on their lot.

I know for my insurance, I did not get a safety discount from ABS brakes, however, side airbags may have made a difference. Ask your insurance about this. Even w/ ABS, insurance companies feel the Corolla is not as safe as other cars because the Corolla is a smaller car.

I highly reccomend ABS brakes, you really feel a difference and just feel safer w/ them.

I did get a anti-theft discount w/ my insurance because I got VIN etching and the LE comes standard with keyless entry.

FYI - I have read online that you do not need to purchase VIN etching thru the dealership. This is something you can purchase thru a car parts supplier, I belive, for something like $30. Check out www.carbuyingtips.com. The dealership wanted to charge me $299 to do VIN etching. I declined, but they threw it in for free since I bought an extended warranty and both my mom and dad had bought 3 cars from them before.

Also, I have read that if you are a person, such as myself, that likes the piece of mind of an extended warranty, you have up to 1 year after purchasing a NEW car to buy an extended warranty. If this is true, this is a fabulous thing. You can shop around to ensure you get the best deal, AND, this will, in essence, extend your total warranty for 1 year since it won't take into effect until the date you purchase the warranty. If someone has info about this, please post, I'm curious for the next time I buy a car.

** Make sure if you do purchase a warranty that it can be transferred to a new owner if you sell your car. This increases the re-sale value of your car. **

Hope this helps!
  • garyzgaryz Posts: 4
    The quote I got for this configuration in North Cal
    is $13900 for new and $13750 for one with 100 miles - all after $750 rebate.
    My quote has preferred Accessory Package (floor, trunk mats & nets) instead of floor mats.

Add %10 for out of door total.
    Just bought a Silver 04 Corolla LE Auto with
    ABS,
    side airbags,
    Aluminum Wheels,
    Cruise Control,
    AM/FM/CD/Cassette Combo with 6 speakers
    Carpet floor mats

for $14200 after $750 rebate, but before all the other fees. Total price with tax etc is $15639.

This is $1077 below carsdirect price.
  • mrs_laumrs_lau Posts: 3
    garyz,

That sounds like a pretty good deal for a Corolla LE. Which Toyota dealership in Northern CA?

thanks
  • I'm researching the Corolla, I want to buy a low mileage LE, automatic, any suggestions would be welcomed, what year is "the best" as far as 1998-2001? I'm tall and need to know about any styling changes, it seems that one year was a lot smaller. Thanks! Oh ya, budget is around $10-12K. in Connecticut.
    That's Capitol Toyota at South San Jose.
    They had another with only Cruise Control for less - see
    my another post.
    After I had my offer from Capitol, Sunnyvale Toyota was willing
    to match, but they didn't want to do better - this may
    explain why they still had 5 Silver LE with CL.
  • onedergyalonedergyal Posts: 11
    I'm looking for 20,000 -30,000 miles... in great condition... hopefully not more than $12g's
  • mufassamufassa Posts: 2
    HI were looking for the best deal for either a Matrix/Corolla S. We have been to the dealers several times and test drove the heck out of them."Love them Both" Is there anybody who has purchased one in Northern In. who might be helpful in letting us know about hidden cost or that a dealer might not tell you about until signing time. We just don't want to get taken advantage of it's our first new purchase.
  • borathborath Posts: 10
    Was wondering if I got a good deal on a Brand New 2004 LE Corolla.

The Out the Door (OTD) cost was 14,500. This includes tax, tags, registration fees and the rebate.
  • ustaad9ustaad9 Posts: 7
    Bought LE with ABS, Side Air Bag, Cruise, Am/Fm/Cass/CD Player, All Weather Pkg., Floor mats and Cargo Mat.

OTD price paid was $15,014 (including tax+tags of $1,014). All rebates reflected in the above price.
    PrinceofPunjab,

Your comments on warranty quite interesting. Which Dealership sold you this extended warranty? Is this a Toyota warranty and transferable? Did you buy one with $50 deductible or no deductible? Also, would like to know if you opted for ABS,SAB and ungraded radio pkg. for your Corolla. Your early reply would me much appreciated.
    Seems like an extremely good deal. Just curious abt the options you selected and the portion of your OTD price attributable to tax+tags.
  • Yes this was a Toyota warrenty with no deductable 6/100k and yes it was transferrable.
  • mrs_laumrs_lau Posts: 3
    Thanks for the great tip! I got my 04 Corolla at Capitol Toyota in San Jose yesterday for $1000 less than what Sunnyvale Toyota is willing to offer me.
    It is great to hear that you got a deal you are happy with.
    What did you get & for how much ?
This discussion has been closed.