Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• yungjuiyungjui Member Posts: 1
    I guess I was too hurry to make a decision. *Sigh* I should have compared more dealers. Anyway, here is my price breakdown:

2007 Corolla LE AT ABS+moonroof+side airbags
    (CK, VV, FE, CF, MR, AB)

Dealer: Grossinger Toyota North
    MSRP: 19,085
    Internet price: 17,100
    rebate: 900 (500 + 400 CG)
    car price after rebate: 16,200
    tax, doc, license: 1,418
    OTD: 17,618

The price is not pretty. You should get better prices than I did. Wish I can do better next time!! :mad:
    But for now, I am happy that I own a car!! :)
  • electrobuzzelectrobuzz Member Posts: 47
    June 2006:
    Toyota, however, continued to gain ground in trucks, selling 4.8 percent more last month than in June 2005. But its biggest gains were in car sales, which climbed 21.9 percent.

Jim Lentz, executive vice president of Toyota's U.S. division, pointed to a 38.7 percent increase in sales of the Toyota Corolla, one of the most fuel-efficient models, as evidence of the impact of gas prices.

http://www.newsmax.com/money/archives/articles/2006/7/3/155713.cfm

July 2007:
    Toyota is not immune to the same economic pressure impacting domestic sales; overall sales dropped TK, the first sales decline in three years;

· Corolla sales fell 25.9 percent; Yaris sales dropped 16.5 percent. Toyota lowered incentives on both models significantly and will likely have to bump them up...

http://www.autoobserver.com/2007/08/july-vehicle-sa.html
  • flpcguyflpcguy Member Posts: 24
    That's a great deal if it includes all dealer fees. There are so many ways to sneak in a few hundred bucks after the deal is set. I've seen base CE ads for $12,386 last year but that didn't include delivery or any 'fixed' dealer fees. [...everything is negotiable!]

Buyers must shop for an OUT-THE-DOOR price that includes everything,trade-ins, destination, even taxes and tag agency fees.

Great deals are only possible because of hidden dealer incentives which on a Corolla often amount to $400 off financing or $750 off next order (not a customer rebate). These hidden dealer incentives last 45-60 days and often end on deals closed by the 15th or 31st. Regional Toyota Distributors control prices and here in the SE Region, they've added another $386 admin. fee on top of the $660 delivery. I think some of that gets kicked back to dealers for commissions because dealers had been charging up to $550 in dealer prep fees and customers were complaining they got ripped off after negotiating in good faith.

I paid $13,500 out the door in 2006 [5-spd] with my old $1,200 junker in trade (over $1,100 in sales tax). That amounted to a $775 discount from MSRP and only $245 in dealer fees including title, transfer and a new year of registration a month later. I couldn't unload my old car for even $1,200 for months with dents, no A/C and more, but they gave me $2,200 for it in trade (no tax on that part) and sold it to some fool for $3,900. I figure the dealer and I both made out.

Even 18 months later, my 3000 mi. low mileage 06 is worth about $14,000 used and it has saved me $166 bucks on fuel at 38 MPG avg. I'm keeping it forever. Ten years from now Corolla parts will still be easy to find. Reliability and easy repair are strong points too.
  • laseradamlaseradam Member Posts: 2
    red 2007 5 speed power door, power windows, cruise, mats, all weather options
    Price includes 6.5% sales tax and all fees.
  • philphilphilphil Member Posts: 15
    That's a good price. It's hard to get a Corolla with moonroof and curtain airbags. I didn't think that it was possible. Good luck.
  • corolla_buyercorolla_buyer Member Posts: 1
    with VV, CK, CF, FE. No side airbags and ABS brake. It is still expensive to me. Anybody got a better price? Tax here (Michigan)is 6%.
  • ex_soldier1911ex_soldier1911 Member Posts: 1
    On 08/15/2007 I purchased this vehicle. Optional equipment is:
    side air bags
    all weather guard package
    ABS
    Audio/cruise control package
    Preferred accessory package (floor mats)

Total MSRP: 17,680
    Negotiated price: 17,332
    Total price with fees: 18,435.42
    Trade (95 Dodge Spirit V6 108,000 miles): -1000.00

After studying edmunds.com's various tools I realize I should have paid at least 500 to 700 less than this. Don't be a fool like me, get a True Market Value from edmunds and pay that price.
  • surejujusurejuju Member Posts: 23
    Last few weeks, I have seen ads in our local newspapers (LA, Orange County) for basic 2008 Corolla CE, automatic, from $12,955 to $13,499. These are loss leaders (1-3 "only at this price") but I guess it can be used as a guideline for comparison shopping. BTW, I installed a security/keyless entry system on my Corolla for $260 a week ago. Yea, I probably have lost the warranty on the electrical system from Toyota but it's been working out very well for me so far. The only thing missing is the power windows. :-(
  • bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    I think you got a great deal Markups on corollas are minimal for the dealer.. I have relatives in the industry and maybe they could save another $150 thats it.. Enjoy your new car it will last a long time
  • sunshine27sunshine27 Member Posts: 2
    Hey Laseradam, may I know what trim did you get? Is it manual or automatic? I am interested in it and live in columbus oh. I think you get a great price and I will go to Cincinnati to buy one if I can the same price. Thank you.
  • sunny100sunny100 Member Posts: 1
    If you live in VA, MD, DC area, please check out fitzmall.com

they have the best price you can ever get.
  • magooomagooo Member Posts: 4
    Im in Austin-yesterday I bought an '07 LE 4Cyl Automatic with all the standard features + options AB, BE, VV (6 CD player w/ 6 speakers). It also came w/carpeted mats, trunk mat, mudguards, etc (the "Extra mile Option Pkg B") and the "Vehicle Shield Pkg". Their 'bottom line'-in the lower right corner of the window sticker- was $19,276 but I got it for $16,626 + $1032 tax and other misc fees. $17,777 OTD. I don't know if that is really considered "GOOD" but I am happy. It is loaded. {no Trade In}
  • laseradamlaseradam Member Posts: 2
    The car I got was a CE Manual. The options were cruise, power locks, power windows, and all weather guard, floormats.

The price included $750 cashback for 2007 models. I would guess you could get pricing on the internet. All the cars had signs in the window that said 3% over invoice. Some models were 2% over. I looked up the TMV here and the price the gave me was right in line with that so I didn't even bargin. Maybe I could have gotten a few hundred more off the price if I tried.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Which dealership did you purchase from?
  • sunshine27sunshine27 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Laseradam!
  • airlineairline Member Posts: 3
    Needed to replace my 2004 Toyota Corolla LE purchased in September 2003.

Reviewed car ads from the Saturday Los Angeles Times and Orange County Register. As for the L.A. Times, we purchased two of the same day editions, but from different areas, as I've learned that different ads are placed depending upon the zone. That was the case for this transaction. Not all the same car ads were in each edition.

Saw an ad from West Covina Toyota for a 2008 Corolla LE, with automatic for $13,988 including a $500 rebate. After reviewing the ad several times to insure what I was reading was not a mistake, I said to myself that this has to be for a 2007 and not a 2008. It just the week prior that I saw the first ad car for a 2008 Corolla CE.

In southern California, it's unusual to see any car ads for the Corolla LE, slightly more for the Corolla S and frequently for the Corolla CE.

I was also skeptical because the car had a rebate. But, I thought if this was for a 2007, not a bad price. But, I reviewed my notes and there was a $1000 current rebate for the 2007 Corolla. So, to me, this ad was not adding up, or so I thought.

Now, in California, the law is strict in that if a dealer advertises a new car, the dealer must list the actual number of cars at that price and the corresponding vin and stock number for each vehicle. I've read that the DMV has cited dealers for selling the ad car before the scheduled publication date of the ad, and from what I understand the DMV had advised dealers who are going to run ad cars to pull the ad car from inventory until the date of publication of the ad.

I called the dealer, and much to my surprise at 5:00 p.m. in the afternoon, they had 3 left, they were 2008 models, they were all LE's with automatic. I was shocked that by this time of the day that they were not all sold out.

On the other hand, the 2008 is an exact carry-over of my 2004, with some very minor changes. but th car itself is the same. So far a car that's getting long in the tooth, and in it's 6th year, it made sense to purchase the 2008 over 2007 if for anything the resale value is already higher than a comparably equipped 2007.

Arrived at the dealer and he still had 3 2008 Corolla LE's available. For fun, I test drove a 2007 Matrix with automatic and the car seemed sluggish on the freeway as compared to the Corolla LE.

Back to the 2008 Corolla LE, I had the salesperson write-up the deal. He said he had to get his sales manager involved at that point.

Actually, all of the people at the dealer were very nice, even though they attempted to offer me every dealer installed option, and I just said no, politely.

We did go a round or two over some kind of paint protection that was added to the car. The sales manager said I would have to purchase that as a required add-on. I replied that I see nothing in the ad about a required additional cost option that was not part of the ad price, other than the $55.00 doc fee. Furthermore, I reminded him that in California, the ad car price is the ad car price. Any additional equipment the dealer adds such as an alarm or paint shield or protection, etc., is not required to be purchased, unless included in the ad price. Since the dealer could not remove the paint shield, that was their loss. They did remove the alarm module.

As for financing, I stated that I would bring a check in from the credit union within the week. They wanted to charge me 10% percent interest. I said no way, based on my score, no money down and lower the interest rate (I did that just in case something happened at the credit union). The sales manager said the best interest rate he could offer was 7.75% with no money down. I agreed. I did receive financing from the credit union at 5.99%. This was 3.09% higher than the 2004 Corolla LE which had low rate financing through Toyota Motor Credit and was an ad car, but no rebate.

The dealer also said that for the 2008 Corolla LE, that a rebate applied, but that Toyota did not have low-rate financing in lieu of the rebate.

Some observations. The price of this car is almost what I paid for the same car in 2003 as a new 2004 model. There is a price increase however, in that my 2004 had alloy wheels and the 2008 has steel wheels. The 2004 has a single disc cd player, while the 2008 has a 6 disc cd player. No MP3 player or adapter offered for 2008. So far, mileage on this car is running 33 mph combined city and highway and that reflects the lowered mileage estimates for 2008. On my 2004, I was consistently getting 37 to 38 mph, but that was with alloy wheels. Could I really be losing 5 miles per gallon because of not having alloy wheels? The new mileage ratings for 2008 are 26 mpg city and 35 mpg highway versus the 2004 mileage ratings of 29 mpg city and 38 mpg highway. Still, great mileage for a non-hybrid car without alloy wheels.

Here's the breakdown:

2008 Corolla 4-Door LE Sedan 16415.00
    4 Speed Automatic Transmission and the normal standard equipment for the LE included in above price

FE 50 State Emissions 0.00
    VV AM/FM/In-Dash 6-Disc CD Player w/6 Speakers and Cruise Control 450.00
    CT Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat (5pc) 171.00
    Delivery Processing and Handling Fee 660.00
    Sub-Total Before Discount 17696.00
    Extra Value Package MSRP Discount -250.00
    Total 17446.00

My price was $13988.00, including $500.00 rebates which in California is taxed. I had no trade-in or down payment.

Price of Car 14488.00
    DOC Fee 55.00
    Sales Tax 1127.08
    Sub Total 15670.08
    License Fees 157.00
    California Tire Fee 8.75
    Rebate -500.00
    Grand Total 15335.83

Not including tax, I saved $3458.00 from the sticker price (before tax and DOC fee), which I think is a great deal for a 2008 Corolla LE.

A couple of other thoughts, the 2008 model has an engine immobilizer and tire pressure sensor that my 2004 does not have. Also, the power door locks actually lock once you place the car in gear. My 2004 does not automatically lock the locks.

Looking at my bill of sale for my 2004 Corolla LE, I paid out the door 15261.56, a difference of $74.27. I have to factor in the higher interest rate over 2003 and no alloy wheels.

Purchased the car Saturday, August 4, 2007. Ironically, the very next Saturday, the same dealer had 5 2008 Corolla LE ad cars for sale, this time they were $100 less, including rebate for $13,888.

Posting this late as I have been out-of-town, but thought it might be helpful to those purchasing a 2008 Corolla LE.

At the time of purchase, I was surprised the 2008 Corolla LE model already had a rebate. It seemed a bit early in the model year. This tells me that Toyota really wants the numbers up, up up.

P.S. I forgot to mention the exterior is black and the interior is gray cloth.
  • chuck49chuck49 Member Posts: 1
    I made my purchase of a 2008 Toyota Corolla LE AT base model two days ago.

car price 15075
    + doc fee and TTL
    OTD 16537
    --------------------

We live close to Chicago. We were going for a 2007 model. However they were almost sold out and they showed us the price for a 2008 model -- $15175.
    I was a little surprised though I did not do much research on the 2008 model. We tried to cut $100 down and made the purchase -- thanks to my wife for her negotiation skill :)
  • crandlemancrandleman Member Posts: 65
    :surprise:

WOW. Not to make you feel bad, but you really got taken to the cleaners.

Also, the Edmunds True Market Value is a very bad indicator of what you should pay. With the way everything is and considering competition and the market you shouldn't pay a dime more than invoice minus the rebates on just about any car.
  • dnattudnattu Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I am planning to buy a Toyota Corolla . Do you guys suggest a
    good (when I mean good it honest and reliable) dealer in San Diego Area.

Thanks in advance.
    Sanjay
  • ymareymare Member Posts: 4
    I got an offer in
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

2008 Corolla CE
    with options

Mudguards
    Carpet Floor Mats
    Accent Stripe,Window Tint
    Power Windows and Door Locks

OTD $15,500.00
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Was this price from King Toyota in Deerfield or Phil Smith on Oakland Park Blvd? Have dealt with King before and Hendrickson out in Margate, which is right near the house. Those pesky SET fees are a big reson why we left the Toyota family. They tack on that stuff just for the shear profit they get. Silly system.
    But have a feeling that the new Corolla will be on our short list in 2010 when the wife changes out of the Mazda 3.
    Had good luck at Bachrodt Mazda with the 3...great internet buying process.

The Sandman :)
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I am going to be purchasing a new (could be a 2007 or 2008) Corolla S for my daughter. We will be buying the car at the end of this month or the beginning of next month at the dealers option. She is in Las vegas. Could someone give me an idea of how much I should be paying for one there with auto tranny and moonroof?

What is the best way to get the best price in the Las Vegas area....or should I plan on traveling into California to get a better price?

Any help would be much appreciated. This is my daughter's first major purchase and we want to do it the right way to get the best price. This board seems like such a great information source that I thought I would see what is known about Las Vegas area dealers. Thanks everyone for helping us out here.
    Don't want to jinx it just yet ;)

But I got a final price of $15,300.00 OTD for 2008 CE power upgraded. Just got to get every detail in writing and signatures to make sure I won't get messed up when I go in to pay.
  • karen7317karen7317 Member Posts: 2
    hello...what does Out the door means??? because I bought a car for $21000,including

$1995 warranty7yrs.
    $350 Lojack
    $17,0110 -car price
    $1441 tax
    $$189.75 license/tire
    $78 othe misc fees

car include: manual, cd, powerlocks/window/4pcs. mat, alloy wheels, side Airbags front/ rear, NO sunroof =( , but has spoiler/bodykit,foglights..etc.

Do you think this price is decent?? without warranty/lojack car total with TTL is $18,750. which MSRP was $18885.

When you guys say out the door, does the price include down payment??? or zero down?

please let me know what you guys think?

thanks...
    Seems pretty high especially for a manual transmissioned S model. What was the invoice price and were there any rebates? Why didn't you post before you bought? Would've been much simpler than after the fact.
    Bummer.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • karen7317karen7317 Member Posts: 2
    opps i mean automatic...invoice price was 14,650....$17,110 with options included...but without all the other fees..TTL/ warrant/Lojact..
  • beantownbeantown Member Posts: 228
    $1995 warranty7yrs

Wow. This can be had for $600-$800 from any number of toyota dealerships in person, or online. Call them up and cancel this ASAP.
  • tjdepere2004tjdepere2004 Member Posts: 40
    Suggest you start via the network soliciting pricing. Do not physically go into the two dealer here until all the paperwork is clear, faxed, and done. Sign, walk in, get the keys and drive out.
    I would recommend Ca. as the optium place to buy. Just remember the sales tax and dealer fees are higher here in LV and so are the prices. Dealers see LV as a captive market.
    got it at Al Hendrickson for the 15,500 OTD with TTL and the car is just great. I wish I could have waited for the redesign coming out next year but I couldn't do it.
  • nyguy1nyguy1 Member Posts: 23
    I just have tried online pricing requests throughout LV and LA and have found that LA dealers are $700-1000 less than LV dealers. All LV dealers add $300-400 to the bottom line for processing fees, in LA they are around $50. Thanks for the tip.....looks like I will be making a trip west soon
  • clinicclinic Member Posts: 2
    In Massachusettes, how much should I pay for a new corolla 08 CE automatic with abs and side airbags and pw/pdl/cruise. Please include all fees and taxes.
    Bought a Camry there back in 1993 but they lost our trust & all future business when they had to repair that car when it got t-boned in our neightborhood. They farmed it out to their preferred body shop and had it for 52 days. They gave it back to us at the 30 day mark with broken glass still on and in the seats, front & rear, and the replacement door they put on had a long scratch right down the side of it. Of course we refused to take possesion of the car and back it went for another 22 days. The other guy, Maroone Motors, had to eat that repair plus the rental car for the 52 days. Car came back and within a week, the wife didn't trust the repairs so we went to king and got her a new 1996 model.
    Hendrickson apologized profusely about what they had put us through and gave us a complete detail and oil change on our new 1996. Still, we never went back except for warranty work on my 1996 Corolla.

• homerj227homerj227 Member Posts: 21
    I don't think you are going to find a CE w/ all of those options...you are basically asking for an LE.
  • rtc2rtc2 Member Posts: 1
    Just,
    Left the dealer and was given a price on a 2008 corolla LE for
    17,000 plus Tax title etc. Does anyone else in the area know of a better price in the tampa area?
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Paid that for a '06 Civic LX a year ago June. I'd bet you could get closer to $16.3k as this is the last few months of this generation with an entirely new model just months away. Try some other dealers also, people really aren't making a run for this model as I suspect most want to wait to see the next generation Corolla.

• joblessguyjoblessguy Member Posts: 1
    Options: Anti-lock brakes, Side Airbags, All Weather, Audio Value Pkg
    16150 + taxes + fees = 17300 OTD
    This price is after the $600 customer rebate
  • utkfanutkfan Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all,

I am in Minnesota. One deal offered me 2008 LE automatic model ( with ABS, side airbag,etc, without Moonroof) @ $16,300 with $600 rebate. Is there any better price than this?
  • homerj227homerj227 Member Posts: 21
    $13,600 after rebate in NY for

2008 Corolla CE
    Auto, Air
    All Weather Guard Package

Tire and dealer fees of $67 on top of that, plus TTL.

Basic CE, but very happy to have a Toyota at this price.
  • fredbcfredbc Member Posts: 1
    My brother visited two Toyota dealers in the British Columbia lower mainland this week to buy a 2008 Toyota Corolla CE 20th Anniversary Edition car. He had a cheque in his pocket and really wanted to make a purchase. For context, he is a clean, pleasant and respectful person. Both dealers insisted on full payment of MSRP. The OTD price is $23,916. Both refused to negotiate price and stated that they don't sell below MSRP. They did not try to stop him as he left. Has Toyota in B.C. fixed their prices now?
  • richcup1989richcup1989 Member Posts: 5
    I've had the same thing happen to me at Spitzer in Monroeville, PA and at the Honda Dealers as well. Just keep looking, I just walked out the door. I'm looking at the corolla and Civic and plan to buy in the spring, but not one dealer has responded to a request for a quote online. Show's a lack of motivation to me, I'd much rather buy from someone who is invested in my purchase rather than thinking they are doing me a favor.
    Why are you looking now if your purchase is about 5 months from now? Whatever quote you get now will be meaningless then, so why bother...wait awhile, at least till February. It's not that the dealers aren't motivated, why should they spend time on you when your time frame is so far out? Makes no sense to them...or to me. Or am I missing something from your post?

The Sandman :confuse:
  • psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Man did she get ripped off! Looks like she paid MSRP For a CE with AT. No ABS, No side air bags. I dont think she even got a set of floor mats with it.

I begged her to buy a FIT, Versa, KIA, Mazda, anything but a over priced under packaged Yota. And if she must have a Yota. Then don't by the darn thing from any of the Tulsa thug dealers.

Very disappointed with her. I knew she was going to get ripped off. And sure enough she did. The car isn't worth a nickle over $11k.
  • riddlermythriddlermyth Member Posts: 40
    Just curious - how come you dont think a Corolla CE Automatic isn't worth anything over 11k?
    Its a very plain over priced long on the tooth old platform. It has to be one of the most uninspiring compacts on the market today.

Then you look at Yotas thieving ways when it comes to the packages and the port/distributor's practices. And it becomes even a worse car. then you throw in there sorry dealers and you have a car worth nothing IMO.

Lets face it. At 15205 msrp the car doesn't have anti lock brakes or floor mats standard. They are adders/options. The stock audio system is so bad its not funny. The standard system in my Ranger sounds better. I could have picked up a standard Fit w/AT for 13875 OTD. Fit has complete air bags, hey it comes with floor mats. Goes better, stops better, turns better. Then the Yota dealer / distro put a adder on for the floor mats and paint protection. Sticker came out to be 16440 on the car. Thats way to much for a near nothing car. Then you throw in the finance dude selling her GAP for 395 bucks. She can get it thru her insurance co. for less than 100 a year. And then he sold her 72 month / 100,000 mile extended warrenty for 1980! I just purchased it online. Same stuff for 670 bucks. so Im going to go in monday or Tuesday and cancel the gap and warrenty.

I don't know about the rest of the country. But Yotas dealers here are really poo pooing in there own nest. Ever since Crow Brothers Toyota sold out to Riverside Toyota and Jim Norton got Toyota its been a cluster. I mean come on. A 715 buck dest. charge and its made in Fremont CA. I only paid 580 for dest. for my 07 Mazda3 and it was built half way around the world. And under 600 for my 06 Civic and 05 Accord.

Its just not worth it to buy a toyota around here. I hope my daughter has a good relationship with her car. Cause she is just another Yota vic.
    Guess she has learned well about cars from her other sensible parent. Hope she can spell better than you and can separate logic and emotion when comparing cars.
    >>

LMAO

The one that can't spell and seperate logic from emotion. I guess that would be me. :)

Just came back from the dealer with a new sales contract.

Car is now 13k. Still to much IMHO for a striped compact Buick.
    Extended warrenty is gone.
    Purchased the same online for 670 bucks.
    GAP gone. Purchased from auto ins. agent for 89 bucks.
    Three free oil changes. And two free details.
    Six free oil filters in my car so I can change oil for a while on the car for my daughter. And also teach her more about the care of her new car.
  • srit99srit99 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone give me a good place to get a good OTD price on a 08 Toyota Corolla S model with Extra Value Pkg #1, ABS, & JBL w/8 speakers options in North Texas?

I went to dealer near me this weekend and they gave me a final price of $17400 before TT&L and that INCLUDED the $750 rebate. This did not include my ABS breaks and but had added car mats, and some $350 package I did not want. They were unwilling to budge on this price either.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • etschreiberetschreiber Member Posts: 2
    For what its worth, I was quoted a price of 1499 (16,400 out the door) for a 2008 Corolla S with Extra Value Pkg #1, side airbags and carpet floor mats. Unfortunately, I can't find a Corolla with ABS in southern California. Does anyone know why this is? Also, is this a good price?

Thanks!
  • srit99srit99 Member Posts: 2
    Wow, That is a great price, at least I think so. I can't imagine why ABS is so hard to find! That should be a standard on all the Corollas! I don't see their logic in not installing it.
    Maybe you can call Toyota of Orange and see if they have ABS since they have a huge selection of Corollas. And maybe
    in Southern California, we don’t have bad drivers like in your country? :)
This discussion has been closed.