Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003-2008 Toyota Corolla Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• michaely2michaely2 Member Posts: 5
    I made a deal with a Toyota dealer north of Toronto at the very end of February for a CE, 5 speed manual, no air conditioning that allegedly was on the factory order list for this dealer. The car was delivered to my March 24 with 4 kilometers on the odometer.
    Technically I received $1500 Cdn. trade-in from the dealer for a rusted out '92 Corolla whose center portion of the exhaust system had fallen off.
    With the $300 Cdn. dealer charge for "etching of the V.I.N. on the windows - hah! - and a further $220 "discount", and $1010 Cdn. in freight and dealer prep. charges to MSLP of $15,290,
    my cost was $14,870$ Cdn. before taxes.
    (using a currency exchange value of 1.48, the U.S. cost would be $10,050.)
    However, in Ontario, government sales taxes add another $15%, so my driveaway price - with the dealer doing the license transfer - was $17,000 Cdn. (or $11,486 U.S.)
    Have only about 500 kilometres on it: no apparent imperfections (not even a gap in the radio/cd installation) and no smell - yet)
  • mjm12mjm12 Member Posts: 4
    Could you tell me what dealer in wisconsin you bought your car from. Also, how do you like the moonshadow metallic? I haven't seen one in person and can't tell if its gray or green. Thanks
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    Just purchased a white Matrix XR. Options:

Super white/dark gray
    10K miles (actually drive out was 9,975 miles)
    Auto
    Power everything (doors/windows/mirrors/etc)
    am/fm/cd/cassette w/6-speakers
    moonroof
    16"-alloy wheels
    rear bumper protector
    fog lights
    Cruise
    intermittent wiper
    DRL
    cargo mat/floor mats
    cargo net

All of this at an unbeatable price of $14,9 and an OTD price of $16339. The car also had tags until June '03. Great price, considering the MSRP was $19,417 (NEW).
  • jcoulterjcoulter Member Posts: 7
    I purchased it at Don Jacobs Toyota, which is located on 27th Street. Wilde Toyota on Highway 100 was comparable (i.e. aggressive) on pricing. I picked Don Jacobs because they had the combination of exterior color and options packages that I was looking for in stock.

The moonshadow metallic is predominantly dark gray, but depending upon lighting conditions it sometimes looks like a combination of dark gray and dark brown.

I have driven the car approximately 500 miles thus far and have had no problems at all. It strikes me as a very good car for the money.
  • jcoulterjcoulter Member Posts: 7
    I should have mentioned in the preceding post that that both dealers are in the metropolitan Milwaukee area.
  • corollasgirlcorollasgirl Member Posts: 1
    I am going to pick my Corolla S up tomorrow.

I got the Phantom Gray color, 5 spd
    options are:
    power moonroof
    CC
    AC
    PW/PL
    all weather pckg
    floor mats, trunk mat and cargo net
    sport package

I paid $15868.00 plus ttl

~corollaSgirl
  • eandyleeeandylee Member Posts: 28
    The invoice prices of Toyota on edmunds doe not include the TDA of $675(Toyota Dealer Advertising fee) that the Toyota Dealers charge you.

So when a Toyota dealer claims Invoice+X you have to add $675 to the invoice price you see on edmunds.

Toyota is the only manufacturer does that.

All other manufacturere's invoice price exactly matched between the invoice price on edmunds and the dealers tell you.
  • kris0877kris0877 Member Posts: 7
    Base FWD with "B" package, 16" alloys replaced with 15" steel wheels from 2003 Corolla (CAN $1000 discount), undercoat for CAN $288. Drive-away price CAN $21,146.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    TDA isn't required to be passed on to you. And it's not a $675 standard fee everywhere. It's usually regional and about 1% of MSRP.

1% of revenues (including service) is also about the national average for all advertising fees paid by dealerships per NADA.

A dealership can tell you that they have to pay it, but it all depends on the deal on a particular car.

"Invoice" is not what the dealerships actually pay anyway because of incentives based on volume.

All that matters is what you actually pay.
  • exbyexby Member Posts: 11
    I need to know invoice on a Corolla LE with options that take it to $16,500, which is where almost all corollas end up it seems. The dealer said he would give me 500 over invoice but I'm sure what exactly invoice is on this car - even edmunds doesn't have it for some reason. Anybody know?
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    When you check for the pricing on the Corolla LE, Edmunds is showing the 04 pricing.

You can select 2003 pricing near the top of that first pricing page. Then you'll have invoice for 03.

It should be pretty close.

Regards and good luck!
  • exbyexby Member Posts: 11
    ahhh yes, thank you so much. how much is sales tax these days. I realize it may be different for every state but whats a rough estimate - i;m trying to walk out the door paying less than 16 after taxes and tt and registration. Which i think is pretty reasonable considering sticker is 16,600 on the corolla. What do you guys think
  • LuzerLuzer Member Posts: 119
    Ah Invoice means many different things.

Try to ask dealer what's a typical invoice for the car you want.

Note that there's incentives out there - depends on region.

Go below invoice for a 2003 since the 2004 are announced, or if you can wait three months, get the 04 at invoice + a little (like 1.5%).
  • halowsehalowse Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an 04 MATRIX XR, INDIGO with AWD, spoilers, moonroof, 16in alloys, premium cass/cd 6spk, fog lights, cruise control, all-weather kit, ABS, floormats, seatback first aid kit, bumper protecter.

$18900 negotiated, with tax + lic, im out the door for $20587.00.

Pick it up on Friday. Is that a good deal?
  • stillageekstillageek Member Posts: 114
    Pretty good deal. I got my XRS equipped 6 speed with sunroof, 6 disc in dash, sunroof, 16 in alloys, rear bumper protector, leather interior, the standard front and rear spoilers, 4 wheel disc with ABS, floormats, RS3200 alarm and the all weather for $20,100 plus TTL. I also got the Indigo.
  • granjan5granjan5 Member Posts: 1
    How much should I expect to pay for this car? After rebate/s etc. Automatic transmission, AC, cloth seats etc. If I pay cash will I get a 'better price'? Does anyone know of a place that 'caters' to their customers in my area of NW AL? Thanks
  • benezrjbenezrj Member Posts: 4
    I'm shopping for a 2003 Corolla S during the May sale ($500 back to customer) and have priced out the S with sports pkg, power pkg, cruise, am/fm/cd, mats etc.. about $17,200 MSRP. I have been getting typical offers of about $15,500 (this INCLUDES the $500 back to customer).

This seems a bit high, doesn't it? I got one dealer to offer the above at $14,900 but for the 1 (black) he had on the lot - but I did not want black and he wanted a premium ($350) to get another color.

What are people paying for this car? The 2004s are out now and I wonder if it is even worth it to haggle now or pay a bit more for the 2004?

Also, does the Edmund's TMV price INCLUDE any incentives? The TMV for a 2003 S is about $15,200 - $15,300 and I could have gotten my color choice for about 15,350 (this includes the 500 back).

Please help ASAP as I would only have until the end of this month to take advantage of the cash-back incentive.

Thanks
    JEFF
  • dmjamesdmjames Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 03 Corolla LE in southern NJ:
    auto
    moonroof
    cruise control
    am/fm cd/cass with 6 speakers
    floor mats
    trunk mat
    all weather package

Be aware that the edmunds.com TMV does not include the dealer advertising fee - some dealers may include it (non-negiotable). My out the door price with taxes, tags and fees was 17148.08 - that was after the $500 cash back. The car price was 16498 - $500 cash back deducted after the taxes and tags, etc.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Edmunds TMV does not include Manufacturer-to-consumer rebates/incentives.

As for advertising fees, if Edmunds is aware there is a fee for a particular region, that is taken into consideration in calculating the TMV.

For more details about TMV, click here.
  • mng1mng1 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a '03 Corolla LE during the Memorial Day weekend:

Lunar Mist
    Leather seating
    Moon roof
    ABS
    Radio/Cassette/CD combo w/6 speakers
    All weather guard package
    Alloy Wheels with lock
    Floor mats
    Alarm

Cost before tax: 16400.
    The alarm is an added option, costing $295, instead of $199 as shown on carsdirect.com.

I also took the 0% financing for 24 months.

---
    Overall, I'd recommend the leader and upgraded sound systems.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    it's only an extra $100 or so for those two extra speakers, right? And those ear-level tweeters make an enormous difference.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• hsamanthsamant Member Posts: 8
    Got the 2004 Corolla LE last night for 15,500 (was getting the 2003 for 15,200, but then decided to go for the 2004)

Major options included ABS, Side air bags, cruise, Fancy Audio system.

Shopped around quite a bit in the Philly area - got the best deal in Devon. Was about 1,200 less than the Edmunds TMV comparably optioned, and 1,700 less than carsdirect.

However, could not get the 0 % financing - had to settle to 3.99. Is the 0% being offered everywhere?

Test drove mainly the Civic and the Corolla - have to say that Corolla wins, hands down. (I went into this thing with a bias towards the Civic - I was really pleasantly surprised by the Corolla!)
    corolla is on target so far this year to beat civic sales in the U.S. by more than 50K! I think that is the first year in a decade that this has occurred, and I know that civic used to be the winner hands down.

I believe that when comparably equipped, corolla is a little cheaper at all levels, and the only place it cannot compete for price is with the Civic DX, which is a stripper without many of the options that come standard even on a corolla CE. That and the fact the new corolla is a much-improved model must have a lot to do with it! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nhfannhfan Member Posts: 3
    Congrats on your '04 Matrix. How do you like the white #'s vs red of '03? Do you have brushed rings around dials or shiny chrome? What state do you come from, did you order, or have choice at dealer's lot? Thanks.
  • hotepamenhotepamen Member Posts: 1
    Paid $14,200 before tax for a 2004 Corolla LE with premium sound, standard transmission. Invoice was at $15,900. Got trade-in $$ on a "fair" condition 97 Cavalier with 130k. Brought the printout from Edmunds.com into negotiation, this dealership did not get market support incentive, but aggreed to take extra $250 off price.
  • misteremistere Member Posts: 5
    I bought an 03 Corolla LE in June of 03 at Hudson Toyota, Bayonne, N.J.
    List price 16,500 Invoice 15,300 Paid 14,500
    Price includes the 600 rebate, does not include tax or registration.

Ed
  • benezrjbenezrj Member Posts: 4
    We'll thanks to Edmunds TMV and other site research, I got what I think is a gooddeal on a silver 2003 Corolla S (for my son who is graduating High School). It has the sports package, power package, cruise control, am/fm/cd 6 speakers, mats, power sunroof, and toyota V5 alarm. MSRP was 18,000, the TMV was 15,450, I paid 15,600. The only other charges were DMV and Taxes. The dealership is Rockland Toyota in Nauet, NY. They were very helpful and eager to sell me a car. Hope this helps others.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    From a Koons Toyota dealer:

2004 Corolla LE, automatic, SSRS, ABS, FE, CK, cruise, cdp layer, Z1 and first aid kit. $15,832 minus $500 and either $600 or 0% financing. That includes the freight charge. Is this a good price?

I can add a sunroof (after market) for $900.00.

I have a call in to one other local dealer.

thanks!

Carrie
    that moonrof cost less than $900 from the factory? Apart from that, price sounds good. Depending on the length of the financing you plan to take, the 0% sounds way better than the $600 cash back.

• googlymooglygooglymoogly Member Posts: 2
    I'm in Louisiana and I was shopping for a Corolla LE. These are the dealer quotes I got. MSRP 16,636 will sell to me 14,495 which includes 1000 rebate. The major option on this car was that it had cruise. I went through Autobytel.com and their dealer quote was the best. I'm sure you can still haggle that price down. I ultimately bought a 2003 protege, my Protege ES has cruise, spoiler, alloy wheels, abs, side airbags, front and rear disk brakes. MSRP 18,185 I am paying 14,100. Less money more stuff?? That's a no brainer.
  • winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    NY hudson valley area

sticker $16,605
    options:
      cruise
      radio upgrade (6 speaker & cassette)
      weather upgrade (rear ducts, better heater,etc)
      floor mat upgrade (cargo net, trunk mat etc)

paid 14,000 + tax license etc.

ok deal? I thought I could have gotten another $100-$150 since it was an 03 model but you never know
  • gnartgnart Member Posts: 36
    I paid $16,900 for an '04 Corolla LE out the door.
    Maryland tax is 4.5%. It had the following options: ABS, Side Impact Airbags, Cruise control, Upgraded AM-FM/CD/Cassette, All weather guard, trunk/floor mats & cargo net. It's under Edmunds TMC - I messed up a little - I meant to deal at $16,600 - but I miscalculated and quoted $16,900 to dealer.
  • petrnycpetrnyc Member Posts: 47
    what dealer in NY ?
  • gnartgnart Member Posts: 36
    Referring msg#241 - I went to pick up the Corolla that we test drove the day before Corolla, dealer said it was sold... So I deposited $100 for them to bring in an exact from another dealer. Next day I went back it wasn't there - I got mad and got my deposit back. Dealer said it would be there next day.

Next day, it was there... but I offered the dealer a new deal - $16,600 out the door - take it or leave it - they took it.
    '04 Corolla + 4.5% tax + tag & title + ABS, Side impact airbags, Cruise control, Upgraded AM/FM/Casette/CD radio, All weather guard, Trunk/Floor Mats & Cargo net.

So I got my deal at $16,600.
    Johnston's toyota

I must point out that the price included a college grad incentive.
  • corollovercorollover Member Posts: 2
    2003 Toyota Corolla S purchased this past weekend in Berkeley, CA:

Automatic
    Impulse Red
    Options: DV, PP, Floor mats
    $15000 + tax, license
    -$750 rebate
    =$15685 otd

New pet peeve: salespeople who insist on subtracting the $750 rebate from the sale price before adding on the tax and license. The rebate should be subtracted from the after-tax, after-license number.
  • matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    Why do you want to pay tax on the $750? I want the rebates, down payment, trade-in, etc deducted "before" the tax is calculated - - thereby lowering my total tax pd to uncle sugar and the the fine Commonwealth of VA!
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    Just bought a 2004 Corolla CE Auto/AC/ Cd for $13945.00 out the door!!

2004 Corolla CE

Auto
    Air
    CD
    Floor Mats
    Cargo net
    Cold Weather Package

Free oil Changes from dealer for life of ownership

Walked into dealership @ 8:45 pm on 6/30/03 and started to deal and left @ 11:00 pm.

How did I do!!!

Could I have done better!!!
  • benzboy429benzboy429 Member Posts: 16
    I live in new york, queens, long island area i need you guys to tell me of bad and excellent dealers in my area im interested in buying a 2004 corolla s fully loaded with dealer installed black leather seats i want to put a large down payment maybe 10k and want a dealer who is willing to give me his arm and his leg please if you can email me at [email protected]
  • corollovercorollover Member Posts: 2
    Re: $750 rebate

Believe me, I wanted the $750 off the sale price of the car. I tried. But, at each of the 4 dealerships I visited, they said the $750 gets factored in after tax and license. That's what killed me about the salespeople's math--to make the deal look more attractive, they subtract the $750 from the sale price of the car. Then when you start looking at the numbers of the actual transaction, you realize it's a bit of a bait-and-switch.
  • volume904volume904 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 03 trade in, Corolla S. Power, keyless entry, CD player. I traded in a 91 Celica with a dent and 205,000 miles. I went every dealer in town for 3 days, and finally my last hope gave it to me for about what I wanted to spend.

I got it with the trade in for $11,900. I also added the 6 year 100,000 warranty for an extra $1,400? I think it was.

I think that was pretty good, it was used, had some miles on it, but body and inside looked perfect!

Christy
    I was told that the rebate is taxable up front. the dealer used an example of buying a PC at Best Buy with a mail in rebate. you pay tax on the sale and then get back the $$$. made sense at the time, but dealers have every trick in the book to squeeze a few extra bucks out of a sale.
  • bruin1994bruin1994 Member Posts: 2
    I've done my research and have decided I want either a 2003 civic coupe lx or a Corolla(2003 or 2004). Have my heart set on dark blue. Seems like most Toyota dealerships are saying they're out of 03's. May end up with the Civic cuz of the 1.9 financing.

I went crazy and compiled at least 18 quotes. Lowest for a Corolla is 13,250 and about 13,900 for the Civic. Just read a post from a guy in Wisconsin who got his 2004 for about 14000 out the door.

Wondering if a few folks out there might want to shop together to motivate them to get the sales even though the price might be lower than they'd like. I'd need a ride tho. Send me a message. Looking to do my shopping, including test drives, weekend starting 7/18/03. Live in West L.A. near Venice.
  • scmike1scmike1 Member Posts: 10
    with SP - Sport Plus, DV - CD w/6 spkrs, PP - Power windows and keyless entry, SR - Moonroof, and floor mats for $15871 plus tax and lic making it $17,229 out the door. That was about two months before they offered the $750 cash back. Best way to buy a high volume car like this is to print up the invoice costs with all the options, price the exact car you want and wander in the showroom about half an hour before closing. Make them spend time talking to you and offer to buy at $50 over invoice and work your way up from there. Got mine at $150 over, but could have done better if I was willing to compromise on the color. had to have the Indigo Ink 5 spd with the S and Sport Plus package. Would have rather had the ABS and side airbags instead of the moonroof, but it wasn't available at 5 dealerships.
  • kidddkiddd Member Posts: 3
    A guy in my school is selling a 02 corolla S, auto, a/c, power w/d, keyless, alarm, cruise control, tilt wheel, cd/casset/4speaker, indigo ink, 15kmile, bought 10/19/01, very good condition. I probably be able to get it for about $10500 (before tax), which is around TMV. A 04 S with same equipment is at around $15000(or even lower) plus ttl. I like the appearance of the new corolla. is there any major improvement of the performance? is 125hp to 130hp a big deal? I heard that some of o3 corollas are noisy and have a wind sound at 55+, is that true? SHOULD GO WITH THE 02 OR 04? THANKS!
  • matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    If you can get a "great deal" on the 04, I think it would be a better because of the service warranty and piece of mind. Might offer 9800 on the 02 and see if seller nibbles; wouldn't go over 10K.
  • calg2calg2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I just got an 04 Corolla S in California. Included the
    -Sports Package
    -Cruise
    -Power Package
    -Am/fm/cd combo
    Total out the door was the MSRP at about $17700. I felt really pressured by the entire salesforce. I think I got a bad deal, but can't do much about it now. What do you think?
  • timgesnertimgesner Member Posts: 1
    You were robbed, in my opinion. I just bought an '04 corolla LE in S. California - upgraded stereo, floor mats, cruise, keyless - wood trim - very nice - for $13,888.00! Anyone, and I do mean anyone, who walks into a dealer and deals with anyone but the fleet manager or the "Internet sales manager" is either asking to pay too much, or is a masochist. My last three cars I bought by using the internet/fleet dealers and all three times, I was never at the dealer more than 4 hours - COMBINED (yes, that's for all three vehicles). No haggling - just a best price. Call every dealer you are willing to drive to and ask for the fleet manager. Ask for the best price he has. GET A QUOTE IN AN E-MAIL - you can use it to get a better price at any dealer that guarantees to do better than any other dealer's written price. Do your homework on Yahoo, Edmunds, and Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com). Don't settle for a so-so price and don't be in a hurry if you can help it, but be willing to pounce if you hear a good deal - the $1,000 under invoice deals like I got do not come around every day.

Write me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.
  • crazygrrrlcrazygrrrl Member Posts: 85
    I got about the same price quote at the time that I was searching for a Corolla. The TMV is $16,373, and the invoice is $15,718. (these prices are for the automatic transmission, by the way)

When you add up the tax (SF/Bay area tax is 8.25% = minimum of $1,300) and the lic (minimum of $130), and the financing, it could easily add up to $17 - 18,000. I don't think you got a bad deal at all.

N. Calif prices are higher than just about every other state except for Hawaii.
  • calucalu Member Posts: 2
    South Florida dealers are saying they do not have any more Corollas 03 available, they are pushing for 04. The 04s came out more expensive than 03s, but without any additional feature.
    Two dealers told me their invoice price for a new LE automatic was at $15,338, which is more than $700 above Edmunds' & KBB invoices for Florida ($14,583). One faxed me a copy of the invoice. They also said that all Corollas are coming with cd's + 6 speakers automatically out of the port and it is only $140 retail, but I am paying it at cost.
    Both dealers said all locals need to pay a Southeast Distributor port fee. In the faxed invoice it shows at $576!! Does the dealer get any incentive back on that?
    Does $15,338 + tag & tax seem a fair price for a LE auto or is the Corolla so hot now that it became overpriced? Has anyone gone through similar hidden fees, extra features that we did not want, and lack of current year's model in lieu of pushing a higher priced 2004?
This discussion has been closed.