Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Go to page 114 in the owners manual.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    With the acceleration problem is it very noisy as well? The noise and vibration disappear once the vehicle is moving (it only occurs when accelerating from a full stop). If so, my sister seems to have the same problem with their spanking new Corolla CE. The dealer admits that it's louder than normal (compared to other Corolla's) but is unable to find anything wrong. Apparently there are no service bulletins concerning this issue. The dealer will be relaying the information and investigative findings to Toyota Canada. She is hoping to have it resolved quickly. I suggested that they replace the whole exhaust system (from front to rear). That's a guess on my part, using the process of elimination (I don't beleive the problem is related to the motor or transmission). I also hope that others can offer some suggestions. Thanks.
  • For maybe the last month or so, when the engine is cold, my manual transmission Corolla makes a thunking noise (as if something heavy is bumping up and down) when starting the car, on bumpy roads, quickly starting again after a stop sign, etc. The sound seems to be coming from under the center console, and ONLY happens when the car is cold! It happens more often (even when I'm NOT going over a bump or whatnot) on really cold mornings.

With winter and cold weather coming, I'm worried. Does anyone know what this might be?
  • My 96 Corolla has 178K on it. Two weeks ago my check engine light came on. I went to AutoZone and used one of their code scanners and got the code P0401 EGR Flow Insufficient. (Having already been to a repair place, you won't need a scanner, but I wanted to let you know you can check one out for free. They charge your credit card and then credit you the full amount when you bring the scanner back.)

I know 0 about cars. They told me to replace the EGR valve, so I bought the part ($160--Sacramento, CA) and put it in. Required no special skill or tools, but check engine light came back on. Reading other postings, I should have tried cleaning my current valve before buying a new one, but at 178K mileage, I felt ok about just leaving the part in and not returning it. My husband got tired of waiting for me to find our manual and look at what my next step was and took the car to the dealer. They said it is the EGR module and want $222 to replace it. I can get the part for $70, so I am going to see if I can do it myself. I'll report back.
  • Jerry,

Sounds like you may have an ignition problem.

I've had similar symptoms on 2 different cars, and in both cases the problem turned out to be the ignition coil.
  • rfmrfm Posts: 1
    jerry, i recently had a similar problem with my 95 corolla which led me to discover a crack in my radiator. after cooling the radiator down, the car started again. fixed the radiator, and no more problem, EXCEPT (just to complicate things), after one long stop and go city drive on a hot day, the problem occured again. cooled down the radiator and the car started. i haven't had the problem since in about 2 months, but most of my travels have been fairly short, so that one exception leaves me wondering if there is a deeper problem waiting to sneak up on me. ignition coils can have problems with hot engines, so i'm now carrying a spare.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Hard to guess without hearing it, but you could take it back to the dealer, since it's under warranty. Wow! Someone else with an LE 5 speed stick! I thought I was the only one!
  • I purchased a used 5AF engine as a replacement for my overheated 4AF.
    There is a bank of rotary valves near the intake valves in the head of the 5AF. They are operated by a vacuum diaphragm. There is no such thing on my 4AF. I want to use the carburetor from my old 4AF. What should I do with the rotary valves? What is their purpose, and how do they function?
  • I have the 2003 Corolla LE. Just replaced the original tires last month at about 49,000 miles. They were Goodyear (not sure of any other info now that they are gone). I am partly to blame for not doing as many rotations as I should have. Two of the tires were down to 2/32 and the others werw at 4/32. Since these were rated at 60K, I was disappointed to have to buy new ones so soon.
  • mcase2mcase2 Posts: 160
    My wife has a 04 corrola LE. It came with Goodyear Integrity tires. There were real garbage. This is what probably came on your 03. I am not surprised they wore out. The consumer survey for all-season passenger tires at Tire Rack ranks them 29 out of 30. They squealed and skidded despite the fact that we always had the right tire pressure and had the alignments and rotations performed by Toyota. So they are history. Replaced them with Goodyear Assurance triple treads (rated number 1 on the survey). Boy! what a difference a tire makes. The tires that came with my Sienna were crap to. But hey, most new cars are sold with cheap tires.
  • No, it's not noisy. It just vibrates, the way you might expect from a less-refined engine under load. :(
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    I've driven in many new and older Corolla's and none of them vibrated. The engine in these were quiet (not Camry quiet but quiet) and did not exibit any vibrations. I drove in my sister's on the weekend and there is definately something wrong with it. When taking off from a dead stop there is a load grunt and vibration until it hits about approx. 15 mph. or a couple seconds. The grunt and vibration disappear and the car drives normally after the intial take-off. When it was first explained I thought it might be an exhaust problem. However, since driving in it I'm not so sure that it isn't a transmission problem. There is a problem with the car and to date the dealer is unable to find the source. The reginal rep was in on Friday and has been in contact with Toyota Canada. Hopefully a solution can be found. If not I can see an arbitration case in the making.
  • I've got a 91 corolla with 185K miles, ridden pretty rough as a kayak carrier. Its developed a loud low pitched squeak only on small bumps or rough roads not large ones like potholes. Can replicate the noise pushing down on right side. Can feel noise when touching various bolts on right side suspension. Any ideas on how to fix it? One interesting detail, the noise goes away when accelerating.

AM
  • when the altenator is not charging or the altenator fuse is shot, the brake & battery light will light up. Been there, done that. :)
  • Why don't you try to find someone who owns a CE and would like to swap?

When we bought our '05 LE I thought the fake wood trim looked tacky, but my wife thought it looked great--no accounting for tastes (BTW, it has grown on me since then).

If you can find someone, you'll probably be saving quite a bit--my guess would be between $100-$200 for the parts. ;)
  • I have a 2004 Corolla with about 33,000 miles on it. I took it to the dealership because the check engine light won't turn off. They have done quite a bit of work to it. First, they ran a smoke test and said there was no leak. Next time, they gave me a new gas cap because mine wasn't locking correctly, then the next time they changed the computer because they thought that was malfunctioning. The next time they said it was the hose that goes from the fuel tank to whatever the container is that contains the fuel that has evaporated and that tank itself that were leaking, so they changed those parts. Most recently they changed the vent in the fuel tank because they said that was broken. Now, two days after their last "fix" the light came on again. I don't have any idea what to do. This has all happened within the past month and a half or so...starting to get angry!!! :mad:
  • No more check engine light! The EGR module took me five minutes to replace with no tools required. It just clips into place. It's been a week since I changed the part and everything is running smoothly.

I also found that my local library has service manuals available for checkout. They had quite a selection. Free is good!
  • i live in lafayette, LA and own a 93 corolla, which i purchased about 6 months back. recently i noticed that when i turned the steering wheel there was a grating sound. being a novice with cars i panicked and took it to a mobil service station. the mechanic looked under the hood and showed me that the hose which carries the power steering fluid was broken / torn. the fluid had been leaking, causing the grating sound. he tells me that to replace the hose, it will cost me about 150 bucks. is the price fair or is he trying to rip me off?
  • I HAVE A 1995 COROLLA THAT I TOOK IN FOR THE TEXAS VEHICLE INSPECTION TEST IT PASSED EVERYTHING BUT THE LOW SPEED NOX PART OF THE TEXT. STANDARD READINGS ON THAT TEST SAYS 1242 MY CAR READING HAD 1929. I WAS TOLD BY SOMEONE TO TRY PUTTING A PRODUCT CALLED GUARANTEE TO PASS THE EMISSION TEST IN MY GAS TANK (BUT I AM NOT SURE WITH HOW MUCH GAS OR AM I SUPPOSE TO REFILL MY GAS BEFORE TAKING IT BACK TO BE REINSPECTED) OR TO CLEAN OR REPLACE MY EGR VALVE. I DON'T KNOW WHERE THE EGR VALVE IS , WHAT TO CLEAN IT WITH, OR IS IT EXPENSIVE OR HARD TO REPLACE SINCE AT THIS TIME I AM MARRIED BUT MY HUSBAND IS NOT WORKING AT THIS TIME SO FUNDS ARE VERY VERY LIMITED. THANK U
  • tgula,

I have the same problem with my '99. Are you saying the second bolt comes in from the backside, opposite the way the bottom bolt does?
    Any other tips?

Thanks!