Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,838
    You mean he had the oil pan off? Unless he's been inside the engine (oil pan off or valve covers off) then he doesn't have a clue. If he saw lots of thick greasy sludge (like a solid gooey mass you have to scrape off) then that is pretty bad news, yes. But if he just looked at the oil cap in the valve cover that doesn't tell you anything.

You might, if there really is sludge INSIDE the engine, to do an oil flush by machine, then put in cheap oil and idle for 1/2 hour, dump that, then put in synthetic and run the car hard for 1,000 miles before you take off. No more oil light? Then you might be okay.

If the oil light comes back on, the low pressure should be verified with an oil pressure gauge. The light could be a defective sensor and give a false reading.

So tell us what your mechanic took apart and what he saw.

• Stupid vehicle... I have a 2007 toyota corolla, i drove it fine this morning for 25 miles, stoped at the gas station for coffee and a breakfast sandwhich. went to turn the car on and it started. I thought anyways... it died in the 5 seconds of changing from park to drive.,.... it keeps starting but imediatly dies if i dont hold the gas down.... anyone know whats wrong with it? About three weeks ago it was running really high in RPMs.... i cleaned the air filter and it ran fine after that.... now this...

I bought this car brand new with 21 miles on it. It now has 30343 miles... i use this car to get from home to school everyday and i am really stressed with this vehicle doing [non-permissible content removed] like this to me....First day i got it, there was a clicking noise coming from under the hood. Took it back and they couldnt find it, but it had stopped. Is this vehicle a Lemon or am i just abusive on it and dont know better?????? Oil always changed every 5k miles. fluids refilled/checked at every oil change....
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    After you put on 30,321 miles with only a couple of glitches. You want to know if this vehicle is a lemon. :confuse:

You got to be kidding. However if your not kidding than I agree with you. You are ABUSIVE and DON'T KNOW BETTER :shades:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,182
    >It now has 30343 miles...

Isn't it under warranty? Go back to a dealer. More than one if they don't know what to do.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    "Cleaned the air filter" interesting!
    Need a couple bucks to buy a new one? Seriously though, most people do change the air filter, versus cleaning them. You know, throw them away and replace them?????
  • (My Granddaughter) Has a 2006 carola, 47,000 miles. Get in one day and engine light is on. Start up, car jumps upon acceleration. Took to Pep boys, close to work. They diagnosis ignition coil on 3rd cylinder. ($100 to do this) Replaced ignition coil. Sill jumping. They say it might be computer problem? If they put on diagnositic computer and it tells them engine coil why would they say computer problem? Appreciate any help. I am going to pick up car now and take to dealer
    Bob
  • I think I know the answer to this question; but is the belt tensioner covered under the powertrain warranty? (I doubt it) How long can the belt tensioner chirp before worrying about it. (Should I get it fixed right away?) The chirping goes away after warming up.

Thanks!!
    Because Manny and Moe don't know Jack!
  • Hi,

We have a 2009 Corolla that we really like except for the horn. You can't hear it in traffic, which is a dangerous situation. I want to replace the horn but have a question about the horn's wiring. When I examined it I found one black wire connected to the horn itself and a green wire and white wire from the same wiring bundle as the black wire connected together and attached to a bracket at the bottom of the radiator. My question is: is the black wire coming from the battery, the white wire from the horn and the green is a ground wire?

Thanks for your help.

Jim
    Is it possible that your horn is just not working correctly? The horn in my "09" Corolla is plenty loud. Altering the horn with an after market part yourself is sure to void your warranty in some fashion if you should ever have a wiring/electrical problem in this area in the next 36 months or 36,000 miles.
  • I was driving down the road and the car would jump. I went to find a place to pull over and never made it the car lost all power and I coasted to edge of the road, all the lights on the dash came on and the car died. We could not get it to crank. I had it towed and the guy said that he drive it in the shop. That surprised me!! Then he went to crank it and could not make it crank. The computer he hooked it to said fault in ECM. It can be hooked up to the computer and with the key on but not running the computer says my car is at 1100 RPM. They seem to think it is the computer. I called the dealership and they said that the computer was covered under the emissions warranty. Do you actualy think it is the computer or could it be something else doing it. I dont' want to take it to the dealership and pay arm and leg for them to get it there and it be something different not covered under warranty. The car has 46,000 miles on it. So does it sound like the ECM?
    Well computer diagnostics doesn't actually identify the exact item that is defective---no computer is quite that good yet. But it does tell you the SYSTEM that is having trouble. So yes, it could be the ECM but it could also be the connector TO the ECM or the wiring going to it or from it. I'd have to know the code # to tell you more.

• I have the same problem on my 2005 corolla. Do not follow dealer suggestion to replace transmission. What you need to do just change the oil transmission 4-5 times. Drain, fill 3 quartz, drive 20 miles and then drain again fill up again up to 4-5 times cicle. Problem solved.
    Any reason why just a complete flush and fill would not produce the same good results?
  • We're having the same problem with our '94. We just got it back with a new speed sensor but the problem is still there. Anyone with any ideas????????????????
  • I bought a 2008 corolla at the end of last year (2007). I found that if the temperature is cold like 30 or 40F, when I reverse to backup my car, I could hear some noice, like metal clicking sound. When the car is warm or outside temperature is warm, this won't happen. So the whole spring and summer is OK. Now the winter is coming, I am hearing the noice again. I want to see if other people has similar experience or know the explanation. Thanks.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Could this be the sound of the exhaust system expanding rapidly as it heats up, in the cold weather? Except you only hear it while backing...
  • jsouthjsouth Posts: 13
    I also have a 2008 Corolla with a 5 speed manual that makes that same clicking noise when I back out of the drive in the morning. It started after I owned the car for about 3 mths. I`m going to take it to the dealer when I get the time but so far nothing has happened because of it. The noise only happends with the clutch out, backing up , but with the car rolling in reverse and I put the clutch in it quits.
  • maganmagan Posts: 18
    This door has broken from it's hinges. The hinges are small plastic molded pins at the right and left of the door. Anyone have an idea of a repair? My thoughts are to drill out where the pins were and press small steel pins in it.
    ('05 Corolla CE)
  • maganmagan Posts: 18
    Anyone have an idea how to replace this?
    ('05 Corolla CE)
    or even cotter pins?

Did my first oil change on my 2009 Corolla XLE at 1000 miles. I was a little hesitant to get involved with the new "paper filter and case" thing but it was a piece of cake. I used genuine Toyota 0-20 full synthetic oil as recommended by Toyota and the genuine Toyota paper filter. The filter comes with a new O ring for the filter case and a new paper gasket for the drain plug, although I didn't use either.
  • I am getting 40 miles to the gallon on my Corolla, it is a 95 model. :) The car has done 117,000 , no bad eh! :D
  • I tried to change the side light bulb on the front left hand side today, thought it was going to be easy.........................not. Can anybody tell me how to get the side light out to get to change the bulb? I have a Haynes manual and that wasn't any help at all. :mad:

thanks
  • where is oil filter located on 2009 corolla
    The oil filter is enclosed in the bottom of the block next to the oil pan. It's capped with a black plastic lid that has 14 flutes or sides on it. You will need an oil filter wrench available from Toyota dealer, $6.48, model# 04152-YZZA6 or from Advanced Auto Parts, $4.98, model: Ampro 65mm 14 Flutes (cup type). Both of these wrenches use a 3/8 rachet extension that connects to the bottom. Don't overtighten the black cap when reattaching it. As soon as it makes solid contact turn it about another half turn.
  • I have a 94 corolla the other day my car failed inspection due to high HC and very high CO emission level my CO was a bit more then half of what the max level should be and HC was a tad high, anyone have suggestions what may be the problem? Tune up was done in april 08 spark plus, wires, dis cap, engine flush, was done in april oil was changed 1k miles ago. Pcv vale was replaced after test failed and there was a sensor not in place by air filter box, car is a cail emission car
  • Does anyone know how to replace the bulbs for the maplights in a 2009 corolla? There are two lights total, side-by-side. To turn them on you just push up and they click. Push again to turn them off. The light appears to be the button, and I can't seem to figure it out, and I don't want to damage anything with a screwdriver. Its as if the whole light is one unit. Please help. Trying to install LED bulbs on all my interior lights. Thanks much.
    Aren't the instructions on how to change that bulb in the owners manual?
  • The manual shows how to change the exterior but not the interior lights. I was able to change the dome light but I can't get the maplights.