Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 2004 corola s. There is relay clicking coming from under the dash behind steering column area, randomly, and persistent. It is very annoy. I having trouble pin point it out. It only clicking when traveling 65 mph+. Can't get get under the dash to see while the car is moving. It got to be a relay???? What are the possible relays in the area the will be clicking on high speed only. Anybody have have the same issue, or any idea please help?
  • Hello I have a 1993 corolla, that after i let it warm up for a while and then start driving it the cold air hits the engine and then the temp gauge goes back down to cold and the air gets only luke warm but then when I stop the car and let it warm up for a while the car will simply heat back up. but then once again after it is driven it will cool off again no more warm air. Anyone advise.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    Sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open. Try replacing it with a new one.
  • New here. Thanks for reading.

2001 Corolla CE. Recently after a day of driving off and on, the car would not start. No lights, no dinging with the key in the ignition, no clicking from a dead battery, nothing at all. Tried to turn it over a few times, nothing. Called my wife to come and give me a jump start, and a couple minutes later it started just fine before she arrived.

Today, same story, but the car had been sitting for a couple of hours. This time I was parked nose-in to some concrete barriers. When I turned the key, I heard the sound of a crotch rocket motorcycle revving from a mile off. Kind of a whine that lasts a few seconds, then dies. Waited about 5 minutes, and the car started fine.

In both cases, the stations programmed in the radio were reset to the factory defaults, and the digital dash clock reset. Just like I have disconnected the battery.

I've never had a problem of this type (other big ones) from this car. I enjoy working on my cars, but I've never been that great at diagnosing electrical issues.

Any ideas? Thanks!
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Well the most obvious place to start would be to remove and clean your battery terminals and reattach.
    By the way there is a thread called "Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair"

Good Luck, keep us informed as I myself have an "01"LE.
  • I was reading the post, and I know it is almost a year old, but I am having the same issue with my 2003 Corolla. A grinding type noise when the car is cold, and it goes away when it warms up. I took it to the shop and they said it was the belt tensioner, but I don't believe that based on the noise and where it is coming from.

Were you able to find the cause?
    Perhaps you should have listened to the Toyoa Technicians as there were many TSB reports issued concerning the Belt Tensioners on the 2000 up to 2006 Toyota Corollas. They should have offered to replace this $150 to $200 tensioner at no cost to you because of the warning of malfunction issued about your vehicle via the TSB..
  • So the speaker on the passerby side isn't working. I'm guessing it has something to do with the wiring. How do I open up the door panel and see what's wrong?

I don't know anything about cars so respond like I don't. Thanks.
  • They sure didn't offer to replace the part. What did the the TSB warning say? Are they required to replace the part? I don't have any issue replacing it myself, but won't if they will cover it. I haven't gotten around replacing because it only happens when it is cold. The noise has started again.
    You might want to follow this link to read all of the TSB's for the 2004 Toyota Corolla and then take it to your dealer and ask him about what they are doing about the know problem? I know when my tensioner went bad in my 2001 Corolla I received a letter directly from Toyota and it was replaced totally for free.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbresults_drilldown.cfm?start=1&- - SearchType=DrillDown&type=VEHICLE&year=2004&make=TOYOTA&model=COROLLA&&TYPENUM=1- - &SUBMIT=Retrieve+Recalls&PrintVersion=YES
  • I have an 2003 with 130,000 miles and have had no problems with this car at all. Yesterday the car started rough. Thinking the battery, I checked the water levels and added some water. It will not start at all now. Battery checks ok and the started has been bench tested. Any suggestions?
    When you say "started rough", I'll assume it started, but idled rough. New plugs lately? Iridium and Platinum plugs good for about 100,000/120,000 miles. Plug wires? Clean battery terminals?
  • The starter had a hard time starting the car. It ran fine after I got it started. New plugs at 100,000 miles. Battery terminals clean. Plug wires good. Power to starter, will check solenoid in the am. Counter guy at Advance auto stated that even if "bench checked" need to know output of starter. If 10ohms output should be around 70ohms so still could be starter.
  • "Toyota issued the largest recall in company history, affecting 3.8 million vehicles dating back to 2004".

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-closer-look-at-toyotas-sudden-acceleration-problem- - .html

They designed a car with out a kill switch and a poorly designed accelerator pedal, and then blame it on the car owner which installs a floormat and not aware of the 3 second kill delay?
    Not so "Smart"

Here are some additional information about Toyota's quality and engineering practices:

"Consumer groups are watching and If the allegations are correct that Toyota destroyed or withheld (electronic) data, it has the potential to reopen hundreds of Toyota rollover cases."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-09-01-rollover-lawsuits-toyota_N.htm

"Consumers saddled with sludge-clogged Toyota engines may soon get some help from the Japanese auto giant under the terms of a class-action lawsuit settlement that covers roughly3.5 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles damaged by engine oil sludge."

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/01/toyota_sludge_settlement.html

jd
    JD, the mat recall was for Camrys not Corollas, perhaps you might want to post that on the Camry forum.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    He posted there too.
  • We'll, Perhaps I should have trusted my gut instead of acting on the diagnosis of the Toyota techs. I replaced the belt tensioner, and the grinding noise that occurs when cold still happens. Once the car warms up, it is fine, and in warm weather there is not issue. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger floorboard area

Has anybody had a similar issue?
  • Howdy! I have a 2000 Corolla that has difficulty starting if it has been sitting too long in the heat. If you wait 2-3 minutes, it's fine and will not die on the road, but if you try to drive immediately after starting up, it will shudder and die. Flooring it does not work, you have to feather the gas. I just had the spark plugs replaced, a small oil leak fixed, and the catalytic converter replaced- nothing helped. I've heard compression and vapor lock theories...but have no idea- the mechanic kept it for 2 days and couldn't figure it out. Any information would be so greatly appreciated! :D
  • Hi There,
    I had the same problem (heck of a time starting it again in the heat and after it had just been running fine) and through alot of troubleshooting different suggestions, we finally pinpointed it to the contacts in the starter? alternator? yikes, forget which one now and my husband isn't home for a week. But anyway, that's a start for you, there was 2 out of the 3 contacts that were fried.
  • Oops, now that I remember a little more, we had the whole part replaced that contain the 'contacts', it's a part shaped like prawn. Sorry if this confuses you but I wanted to try and help you out as we had quite the headache narrowing down the problem. Thankfully we have good friends that know their alternators and starters and we got the part at cost. Expense was $100.00 even.
  • Fuel consumption of my 09 corolla has suddenly increased. Earlier a full tank used to give me atleast 550Km (even more sometimes), but now its giving 465 to 475 km with a full tank.
    First two services are done. I also got that brakes issue fixed from toyota for which toyota canada recalled all 09 corolla and matrix.
    Last week I took it for 2nd service to toyota dealer and informed him about the fuel consumption problem. But they said we don't see anything wrong with the car. So it is what it is.
    I have noticed that earlier with a full tank it used to show me around 630Km Range reading but now the same range reading is shown as 515km with a full tank.

Any ideas ? I know heating could make it happen but its still not that cold weather.
  • Poor fuel consumption can be caused by several factors. The main reason for this time of year is the switching to winter fuel blends. Other things to check and replace are your tires air pressure and air filter. Might also want to run a can of BG 44k through your fuel tank on the next fill up and use Shell's Premium 91/93 fuel at the same time as it has a cleaner in it as well. Also, switching to a synthetic oil if you haven't already might help and it will extend the oil change intervals. I prefer Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic as it has the best VOA's (virgin oil analysis) and UOA's (used oil analysis) I have come across. Well worth the switch in my opinion especially if you can't stay on top of 3,000 mile oil change intervals.
  • Are you traveling under bridges or heavily shaded areas during the daytime when this is occurring? If so it could be the relay turning on and off the headlights. Trying just turning the headlights on and see if it still occurs. Hard to diagnose this from just reading a post. However, if it is a relay this could be it. Also might want to check the under panels to make sure they are all secured. Sometimes it's even something as simple as your keys hitting the dash.
  • Thanks for you response.
    My current mileage is 15000 km. Do you think a fuel additive/cleaner will really help? I am not sure as it is my first car here.
    Well worth the switch in my opinion especially if you can't stay on top of 3,000 mile oil change intervals.

Oil change intervals for the 2009 Corolla are 5000 miles / 8000km, or every 6 months, whichever comes sooner.
    Fuel additive/cleaner should be unnecessary. I'm guessing you are in Canada because you refer to km. In that case use regular gas from Sunoco, Shell or Petro Canada and you should be fine.
  • Oil change intervals for the 2009 Corolla are 5000 miles.

Actually it is 5000 km (~3000 miles) for first 2 services and then after 8000 km (~5000 miles). This is as recommended by Toyota.
    But Mr Lube guy said that you should do an oil change after every 5000 Km (~ 3000 miles).
  • Yes I am in canada and using regular petrocanada from day 1 I bought this car.
    As I mentioned earlier I am surprised why car range reading has changed from 600+ km to only 515 Km now. Only after 2 services.
    Actually it is 5000 km (~3000 miles) for first 2 services and then after 8000 km (~5000 miles). This is as recommended by Toyota.

Please refer to this page, and click on the 'Full Schedule' tab.
  • Thanks Man...you are correct. I was in wrong impression....due to this Mr Lube guy...

Would you recommend something else for my fuel consumption problem ? or do you think it is ok have 470-475km with one full tanks.