Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bpnmbpnm Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I got 2001 corolla CE, 5speed, 67000 miles.
    When I shift from 3rd to 4th gear, I hear rattling noise.
    It's louder after an driving it for a while. I hear it only when I am pressing accelerator, in gear 3 or 4, little bit on 5th gear. No noise on 1st or 2nd. gear.
    This noise is coming at around 2000 rpm, on 3rd and 4th gear, noisier when warmed up, noisier after 20 miles of driving.
    I took it to transmission shop, they could not make
    anything of it. They lifted the car, engaged gears, but I could not hear the noise outside of the car. The mechanic could hear it inside, but only slightly. The transmission oil was fine, the color it should be; they "kind of" excluded transmission/differential problem. They told me that the clutch may not be the problem either.
    They actually did not know what it is. 3 mechanics looked at it, 2 of them drove it.
    When in neutral, I hit gas pedal, I hear no rattle noise.
    I thought it could be the engine valves or something loose in camshaft area, needing to adjust. Another shop (over the phone) told me that the valves don't need to be adjusted, they have hydraulic system (I dont understand that). From what i told this shop guy, over the phone, he thinks it may be a throw bearing. Could it be aslo the timing chain? I am hopeless, I am about to take it to a shop for diagnosis. The CV joints look OK, no noise when I turn the wheel. Thanks ahead for advices or opinions.
    I bought the car 1100 miles ago, started noticing this 500 miles ago.
  • bgershbgersh Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 94 corolla. replaced the baterry - didn't help. So I got a used starter from a junk yard for $40 and replaced it. The problem was to get the old starter out - I had to remove the plastic shield on the side to make enough space for a starter. It shouldn't take more than 1.5 hour if you know this "trick".
  • bpnmbpnm Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on 95 corolla 3 years ago.
    Starter would click several times, until i got the right moment to engage it. The it started.
    There are 2 cooper "things" inside your statrter (the head
    portion of it) where the wire from battery connect.
    The copper parts one on the upper one on the lower portion of the head are worn out so much. The engagement portion of the starter (the little teethed wheel - solenoid did that). Sorry I don't know the technical terms for these.
    The 2 metal copper parts cost me $22 from toyota dealership and I replaced it myself. It was very thight place to get to (the upper one), but I did it.
    For novice, you might get frustrated, as long as you can rwach the darn upper nut - very difficult to get to.
    Patience.
  • themoon77themoon77 Posts: 102
    I know for a fact that lots of Camrys, both of mine for instance, do this. The problem? "Starter Contacts"--I have been quoted $60 for a fix, and that's for both parts and labor. I am not sure if this is what's wrong with your Corollas, but I would almost bet on it.

Please, don't go out and spend all that money for a new starter unless you absolutely positively need one!
  • themoon77themoon77 Posts: 102
    "did anyone have any idea about why my battery and brake light on my gauge stay on for up to an hour after I start it? thanks for your help and time"

Oddly enough, I have been told that this is a problem with your alternator brushes. Have it checked out.
  • i think this was covered in a previous post but i am just double checking...

for my 2003 corolla, the dashboard, headlights etc. don't turn on until 5-10 seconds after i start my engine and release the parking break...

this to me is very annoying..

what option should i change to if i don't want this to happen? (i.e. do i switch to all manual with no automatic lights? will the car beep if i forget to turn of my lights?)

i would like to keep the daytime running lights, so can i just switch my headlights on manually at night and they will still automatically turn off or do i lose all the automatic options when i do that?
  • i turn the key and give it gas, and it tries to start, i doubt its the altenator or the battery cuz i jumped the car. i think it might be the spark plug or even the gas not getting to the engine. anyone have any clues to whats happening to my car?
  • I have a 93 Corolla Sedan and after fixing the electronic box that controls the car, the speedometer doesn't work, I don't know what started but everytime I exceed amount of speed the check engine light appear I think is that the electronic device recognize that piece isn't working. The mecanic told me that is the sensor but in order to fix that I have to replace all the part... I'm just wondering is a way to fix it without replacing all the device. For any question about the type of transmission the car is automatic.
  • I just bought a new '06 Corolla with a 5-speed manual. The car runs great, but I've never had a car that goes so fast - in idle - in reverse. The thing shoots back like a rocket, and braking will lead to stalling, so I end up using the clutch too much. It idles at 1,000rpm. This is my first Corolla - is reverse geared very low or something? Anybody else experience this? Thanks in advance.
  • Does anyone know how to disconnect the odometer (or speedometer) on a 2006 Corolla?
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    There may be a law against doing this.
  • Yes, there may be a law against it but do you know how to do it (strictly for informational purposes only...)?
    Sorry, I don't.
  • kblackkblack Posts: 1
    I accidentally busted my windshield wipers, by turning it on as it was covered in ice.
    I know it’s not the motor cause I can still here it running when I try to turn it on. So, from my reading I'm thinking its worm gear.
    I was wondering if I could replace that myself or would I have to take it in. If this can be done as a home job can someone explain it to me?
  • Could anyone tell me how to extend the tracks in my 2005 Corolla to move the driver's seat further back 2 to 3 inches? The passenger seat goes back another couple of inches, but there are stoppers intentionally put in on the driver's side. I think this is related to the hydraulic seat adjuster to make sure you don't tip too far back. I need to have this adjusted or will have to get rid of the car( which I don't want to do!) I am starting to have hip problems from longer than average legs.

Thanks, NE
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,849
    hey gang, does anybody have an idea of what a catalytic converter should cost for an '03 Corolla? My uncle's had to go in for some servicing/brakes/etc, and the dreaded check engine light came on. It's the catalytic converter.

I've been handling it for my uncle because he works long hours out on a construction site, so it's not convenient for him to deal with it. I got a message on the answering machine last nite from the service guy, and I knew it was going to be bad. The guy was actually stumbling over his words and pausing just a little too long in places as he was trying to get out what was wrong! So I KNEW it was going to hurt!

Well, I talk to the guy today, and he says $1500!! :surprise: Now the labor isn't all that much, but supposedly the part itself is like $1300+.

Does that sound right? The car has 103,000 miles on it, so unfortunately the warranty is a distant memory...
    Unless it was damaged while driving, this seems a little unusual for 2003 vehicle. This "emissions" part even has an extended warranty (at least in Canada). Maybe should get a second opinion. Good luck.
    Unless it was damaged while driving, this seems a little unusual for 2003 vehicle. This "emissions" part even has an extended warranty (at least in Canada). Maybe should get a second opinion. Good luck.
  • i turn the key and it tries to but it wont start at all, i think theres no gas getting to the engine. or maybe a dead spark plug. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME? its an automatic.