Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    Have your dealer check that the rear window glass is correctly installed.
  • hctghctg Posts: 1
    My 09 corolla LE (mileage 5k, 11 months old) suddenly won't start at the beginning of this month, and it got towed to dealer and fixed. They said it was engine computer programming error like window's problem (how scary it is!!). About 3 weeks later, two days in a row, it was not starting well, although eventually it started (Hew..). Today, I called towing company, and the car started after the towing truck showed up. Now, I think I got a paranoia and I start to worry whenever I start the car.

I always think that men make mistakes. So I try to understand the small issues of the car such as rattling noise etc. I picked Toyota because of the reliability. However, it is the worst car ever. I never have this sort of paranoia before. Even they do not provide road side assistant!!! I now agree that Toyota is not the same as before.

In less than a year, I start to hate my car, and I don't know how long I can bear this. I really regret my choice now. I think any other company including underrated hyundai, kia and mitsubishi are doing much better job than Toyota.
  • My valve clatter use to go away between 3 - 5 minutes, now it is taking nearly twice as long. I have a 2001 Corolla with 73K miles and have been faithful about changing oil every 3 months or 3000 miles. Does the increased time of the valve clatter show a potentially urgent problem?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,353
    Might be time to have them adjusted:

Valve clearance (Cold):
    0.15 to 0.25 mm (0.0059 to 0.0098 inch) for intake
    0.25 to 0.35 mm (0.0098 to 0.0138 inch) for exhaust

This is a fairly tedious job and might take up to 3-4 hours of labor.

Shifty says: "Better valves a little loose than a little tight"....so unless those valves are hammering away, a little ticky-ticky is no big deal.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Sounds like your judging all Toyotas on your own problem. Toyota is still very much a reliable car, just do a little research. Anyway, keep having them tow it back to the dealer and demand they fix it correctly.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Sorry to hear that i have had no issues my 09 Corolla it has started FTET since i purchased 23K ago.

Good luck hope it all gets better for you.

MNF
  • Is this something they can visually check? Are you aware of improperly installed rear windows causing the type of noise symptoms I've experienced? Seems like something that would very rarely happen especially since they most likely have robots doing the installation. Appreciate your feedback though.
    Uh, I doubt your getting window noise from under your rear quarter panels. Sounds more like a suspension problem then anything.
  • It's hard to tell exactly where the sound is coming from. It could be closer to the rear roof pillars than the quarter panels, in which case the window could be the culprit. But it's not a loud popping sound that startles you. Even the radio at low listening levels pretty much mutes it. I can hear it though because I've become "tuned into it".
    And I've heard it from both sides.
  • I was changing the speed sensor on a 93 corolla 3 speed automatic. The retaining clip wasn't on all the way, and the little plastic gear fell out of the sensor and into the transmission. How can I get this out?
    What a complete bonehead I am. Please help.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    I had a problem that sounds like you describe in my (2004) Corolla. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen. Since your car is still under warranty let your dealer have a look at it.
  • I've had zero problems until last night.. first cold one of the year btw.. got about 6 blocks from work and my car suddenly lunged, lost power and the engine light turned on.. i thought.. is my car stalled? when I tried to restart it it acted like I was out of gas, when the gas peddle is down the rpm's only go to 2.. it will idle for about 30 sec. and then die. I put more gas in it to see if it was out, and could only get it about another block.. Im totally perplexed. any suggestions? fuel pump? filter? worse? 56,000 miles... 3 years old.. what is a girl to do?
  • Sounds like the car is running in limp/safe mode almost but it's not. Is there a CEL (check engine light)? It could be several things but the most common causes could be one of the following... MAF (mass air-flow sensor), Fuel Pump or water in the gas, ECU, or a loose Ground Wire. You could try a bottle of Dry Gas and see if that fixes it. Also, if there is a CEL you need to pull the code for it as it will help to point you in the right direction.

Things it could also be but are highly unlikely for the symptoms it's exhibiting. If it were an O2 sensor the car would still run but it would do so like crap and gas mileage would definitely have started to suffer prior to it's failure and you would definitely have a CEL. If it were a bad spark plug or coil pack the car should still run just not well again and you should have a CEL indicating a Misfire on one or more cylinders same as a faulty fuel injector. If it were say a bad alternator and battery all at once the car would have just died and probably wouldn't have had enough battery life for the dome/interior lights to turn on.

To be honest you really need to look for a CEL and hook up a scanner. There might even be pending codes that will be helpful. If there is one report back to us and we might be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise you need to get the car to a shop to let them diagnose and fix it for you.
  • after all the research I was convinced it was the ECU.. had it towed to a dealership near by.. sure enough that was it.. seems like corollas have this issue.. I was surprised they had the part on hand.. it was under warantee which is good. Thank you so much for your responce!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Yes, there definitely was a bad batch of ECUs. I have read and heard of this problem. Fortunately, I think it is under the emissions warranty, which is 8 years, I think 80,000 miles.
    Yes ECUs are under the 80K warranty because they control the Onboard Diagnostic Functions.

• Hello

I have a 2004 Corolla CE with 73000 miles. Have been using 87 grade fuel on it. After 60000 miles I started to notice some knocking during acceleration at low speeds. I upgraded the fuel to 89/90 grade and the knocking is reduced.
    Have also used fuel system cleaners occasionally.

a) I am curious as to why the knocking started at higher mileage
    b) Spark plug change is required at 120,000 but not sure if this could be the cause
    c) Could it need just a fuel system flush
    d) Fuel filter changing?
    Don't know your home location but it could be due to the extra winter fuel additives in the gasoline for the winter season reducing the effectivness of the gasoline on your motor.
  • My son has a 1998 corolla. 70000 miles. Lost the maintenance book. Can you tellme when he should get the transmissiion fluid changed? Probably by now but has had no problems.
    Jim
    If he hasn't up to this point, now is a good time. I would suggest around 60K normally. Don't let them talk you into a drain, flush and refill. Best for the tranny is just a drain and refill. So many people have trouble after the trannys are flushed.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You can check all the maintenance requirements here: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins.

Hope this helps!
  • I've noticed that you have made this recommendation many times. Can you tell me exactly what type of trouble you are referring to? It would seem to me that if you are going to drain and refill the tranny, why not do the filter? Not doing this seems like changing the oil and not the filter, which is dumb. Just curious.
    For a 10 year old vehicle I wouldn't recommend a flush. A flush is a pressurized fluid push through the transmission, and although a good machine can exchange around 98% of the old fluid for new, there is the possibilty of damage. I don't recommend it on vehicles with more than 60,000 miles. The reason for this is that the possibilty of tranny damage increases with wear/aging on it. The internal seals may not handle that much force on them, and if they break, that vehicle won't be driving out of that shop, or if it does, look for big problems down the road. The unit will basically have to be rebuilt. I would recommend a fluid drain and refill and filter change only. Besides this flushing is only a money making gimmick for the shop. What do you think a flushing will remove that a drain and refill and filter change will not?
  • I have a 1999 Toyota Corolla.. .. Approximately 65,000 miles on it. I have had my car to Pep Boys in my town for. Several repairs. And been very happy with them..>>>>>>Over the Overpriced Toyota Dealer.
    (I am a woman ) and I take very very good care of my vehicle..

They did a safety check on my car... Everything was great.. But they informed me that my struts front & rear need to be replaced...With the price being about $1200,00 dollars. For the R and R of the struts and all parts and labor..My question is:

Does this price sound in the ball park?? For this type of vehicle and the mileage and all.

I don't feel they have ever ripped me off before.. And they have been very in depth in their explanations so forth so on..

Just would like an honest answer...If someone can give me one..?

Thanks All :D
    The book says:

List Price Front Strut [non-permissible content removed]'y $134 each X 2 = $268

List Price Rear Strut [non-permissible content removed]'y $157 each X 2 = $314

Labor Rate Total, front and rear = 4.8 hours

The labor rate is posted in the repair shop and can vary widely from state to state.

The real question here is not so much the price but whether you really need all four struts.

So the question to ask them is: "Upon what evidence that you can demonstrate to me, do I need all 4 struts right now?"

Acceptable answers:

"They are leaking....here, I'll show you"

"They are weak...look how the car continues to rebound a few times after I've pushed hard on each corner of the car"

"Your tires show signs of cupping---caused by too much motion in the struts---here, I'll show you what cupping looks like"

Unacceptable Answers:

"It's always done at this mileage" (NOTE: TOO SOON FOR 65k MILES)

"It felt like it when we drove it"

My Opinion: Without very obvious physical evidence, I would judge this repair unnecessary and an "oversell".

• Thanks for your reply. In reading your other replies, I wasn't aware that you were including the filter also. I just didn't see reason to put clean fluid through a dirty filter. I need to change/fill mine (06 Corolla) as I'm at almost 70K. Should have already changed it.
    That's an excellent answer for "mootoy".
    Are struts really that expensive? Are they Toyota or aftermarket?
    Those are list price from Toyota, near as I can tell.

• alex24alex24 Posts: 54
    Dear Miss, Even though Pep boys seem honest, Any store may push over the line, to make more profit, when they want to, I have been repairing cars for 30 years, And as for struts do not need replace unless you feel your car bounces all over the road while driving, As for dealers and stores they want you to replace struts after every so many miles even if they are not bad, I have a 93 toyota camry and my struts did not go bad till I put 190000 miles on the car, So I say no need to replace them , unless you feel the bouncing, or unless you have the money to waste. You should try to have a strong man push down on your bumper to see if it feel firm or bounces up/down freely like a bad shock has no more compression then you know the struts are bad and need replaced, Have a Happy New Years !
    Yea your right, the 2005 fuel filters are in the tank and should be good for around 100,000 miles or so. Thanks for the heads-up.