Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Not normal wear. Insist on repair !
    Have my first small problem with my "09" Corolla. A.C. smells on start-up. Odor resembles urine but I know it isn't. This odor quickly dissappears. Any ideas?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    Mold/fungus. Maybe a plugged AC drain, or just fungus build up. Do you have the AC in "max/recirc" a lot? That can cause this problem. Here's an article that has some ideas for cleaning the system and preventing the problem in the future:

http://car-reviews.suite101.com/article.cfm/bad_smell_from_cars_air_conditioner
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,796
    Take out the cabin filter and discard if dirty. Then spray with something like OZIUM odor-killer (not just a "fragrance"), into the filter space. Also a quick squirt into the AC ducts. Then put in a fresh filter and that should help a lot.

Backy and Mr. Shiftright thanks for the good advice on the stinky A.C., I'll let you know what works.
    I had a foul and nasty odor in my MINI and I did just what I told you and, in my case, it worked great. I chose the "fresh vanilla" OZIUM and now I get hungry every time I turn on the AC. :P

Just kidding---the scent is very subtle and OZIUM is an odor-killer, not a masking scent.

• geodrivegeodrive Posts: 20
    Hey...
    Thatz some very useful information.
    I've a 09 corolla and I also feel same problem at times. But for me it's mostly when I turn on the FAN only.
    Anyhow, can we buy 09 corolla cabin filter from Canadian Tire or somewhere ?
    and if I replace it by myself, does it affect the warranty of the Car?
    You can buy a cabin filter I believe from Rock Auto online (www.rockauto.com).

And no, there's no affect on warranty--it's pretty hard to mess this up. Of course, if you break a plastic case or something by doing something you shouldn't have----well then.

• geodrivegeodrive Posts: 20
    Alright...I will try it.
    Recently I got it changed (1st time) from Toyota Service Center and they charged like 66$ for a new one (which includes service charges too).
    Also I end up paying 45$ to fix my flat tire.
    It was my first time but I learnt my lesson that one should not go to Toyota Service Center for a flat tire or for that matter - replacing a cabin filter.
    I had a Scion xA and the only thing I went to Toyota for was:

1. warranty service

2. dirty nasty things I didn't want to do

3. something I didn't want to take the time to learn, or needed a special tool for.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,157
    >if I replace it by myself, does it affect the warranty of the Car?

I'd suggest using Google to search for "change corolla cabin filter" and do it yourself if it's easy enough.

You can pick up a Purolator cabin filter at PepBoys made in the USA.
    What makes you think it would it affect the warranty? You have the right to work on your own car. As long as you keep a log or record of the REQUIRED services, your fine.
    >think it would it affect the warranty?

Huh? Nobody mentioned warranty in my post... confused.
    Yeah, somebody mentioned "warranty" in your post #3583 - if not you then who? Or are you trying to quote "Geodrive" with that funny arrow ( >) you put in front of your question?

Are you still confused ????
    edited June 2010
    >somebody mentioned "warranty" in your post #3583 - if not you then who?

That was geodrive, a quote from another post.

Nobody mentioned "warranty" in my post.
    Yeah okay, I must be seeing things!

What did that purolater cabin air filter set you back at Pep boys? How does it compare in quality to the Fram "Fresh Breeze" cabin or the OEM cabin filter?
    Just found out there is a TSB ( # T-SB-0384-09) for replacement of the evaporators on 2009/2010 Corollas for the A.C. odor problem. Certain vins are covered under the 36 month 36,000 warranty.

Here's the link:
    http://www.empirepao.com/tsb/T-SB-0384-09.pdf
  • james2011james2011 Posts: 12
    Thanks for the reply Tom. Is there a Toyota bulletin on the seat fabric being replaced? I took it in to an upholstery shop that does work for another Toyota dealer and they said definitely, this is not normal wear. They said that there was not enough foam or it was shaped improperly for it to wrinkle up and have folds in it as it now does. They said that that section of the seat needs to have the cover pulled on and a better piece/fit of foam put on there.

I think that the upholstery is ruined on the two seats in that area. The dealership that I took it to said it is normal wear and tear on a year and a half car! The same tech who said that the tires were rotated wrong.

What do you think? Is there a repair bulletin on this?

Thanks
    No sounds like your Corolla's seats just snuck through production not being up to standards.
    Talked to a buddy of mine who works at my local Toyota dealership. I asked him about the TSB for the evaporator replacement. He said while the TSB states the the replacement job takes 4.5 hours to complete he said it's more like a 6 hour job as the whole dash has to be removed first just to get to the evaporator. So I guess I'm going to live with this odor for about 30 seconds when I first turn on my A.C. rather than have my whole car torn apart for the replacement. He did give me the Petro A/C Chemical cleaner that most Toyota dealers use and sell to try on my car. They'll do it for you for about $60.00 but really, it only takes about 30 minutes of your time to do it yourself. The only drawback is you have to crawl halfway under the car to get to the A/C drain hose. This is a two can foam system; you shoot half the can up the rubber A.C. drain hose into the evaporator. After it turns to a liquid and drains out you repeat with the second half of the can. After that, you use the smaller 6 oz. can to totally disinfect the air intake and ductwork. I did this last night, I'll post about my success with this or not.
    Wow what a difference! A few days after using the Petro A/C cleaner the odor is all gone. This is the two can system most dealers use and can be purchased from them for around $15.00. Note: you will have to get under the passenger side of the car to attach the provided hose to the A/C drain. Well worth the money.
    For the 2009/2010 floor mat recall, new front mats are replaced only if you already have the optional all weather mats now. They will trim the front of the gas pedal, trim tibia pad under carpet, and add 2 by 5 inch tape over tibia pad. They will then reshape the carpet were pad was trimmed. This work is scheduled for 1.2 hrs.
  • Hi! I'm new to this forum and don't know a lot about cars, but I'm hoping someone can help. I recently had the tires aligned on my 2005 corolla. After doing so i started hearing/noticing a clicking sound from the driver's side tire/wheel-well when i am making right hand turns. it sounds like running a stick over bike spokes. i took it back to the place where we got it aligned and they said that they thought it was just a nail in the tire, but it might be in the CV joint but since it is sealed they couldn't tell for sure. they also said the only reason i hear it when i turn right is because there is an echo that i'm hearing at that time, but not the others. that explanation does not make sense to me because when i am sitting in an open area i can hear it on right hand turns and as soon as i straighten up the wheels it goes away. the car has an extended warranty from toyota, but that has been totally useless up to this point and i really don't want to pay $80 for a diagnostic fee for them to tell me it's not covered under warranty. any ideas on what it might be or how to trouble shoot the issue? any thoughts are appreciated. :confuse: Thanks!!!!
    While it is true that a bad CV joint will make noise on hard turns, it would be the LEFT CV joint making noise on hard right turns, and vice-versa. So to say that the right CV joint is bad because it makes noise when making right turns, is probably a faulty diagnosis.

It is true that you can't really tell if a CV joint is bad unless you perform the above test or you disassemble it. You can't tell from looking at it or wiggling it around.

So yeah, you could have a bad LEFT CV joint.

• Would that be something that normally goes bad after only 42K miles? Or is it possible that they messed something up when they did the alignment? I'm not 100% certain that it wasn't there prior to that, but it was after that when I started noticing the sound.

Just so I'm clear, the LEFT CV joint is the driver's side, correct? I wasn't sure if you meant left from the driver's seat or the left from facing the car. Thanks so much for your reply!!!!
    That's correct. Left is the driver's side. It would be unusual for a CV joint to fail at 42K miles but if the boot that protects it were ripped and the grease leaked out, then certainly possible.

• Thanks for your help! Is it possible that it could be anything else? I want to have all of my bases covered when I call the repair shop and ask what it will take to fix it.

Thanks again!
  • alex24alex24 Posts: 54
    My corolla made the same noise and it was the sway bar link, you can hear it more over bumby road, The sway bar link is approx 6 inch long and is worn out, which causes it to make a click noise, I bought a lifetime warranty one at Advance Auto Parts for $38. , put in on and no more noise.
  • crisrockcrisrock Posts: 1
    My 2006 pings very briefly on acceleration. It does it more when the air is on.
    A brief ping is really okay, it might just mean your gasoline isn't quite up to snuff. You could switch to mid-grade and see what happens.

If the pinging to very loud or prolonged, you shouldn't drive the car too long that way, and should have it scanned for trouble codes.

Also, in addition to timing problems, high carbon content in the cylinder/head area can cause pinging, so if you take lots of short trips, you might consider taking the car out for a long high speed run and using a gas tank additive.