Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I drive a manual '99 Corolla with 110,000 miles. In the past couple of months, with the problem getting progressively worse, the car feels like it is slipping out of gear, especially in 1st and 2nd. When I begin to accelerate, the car will lurch like it's not getting enough gas. If I keep giving it gas, it will eventually "catch" in gear and will accelerate normally. Any suggestions on what's causing it and how to fix it?
  • Hi,

I would like to replace the spark plugs for my corolla but the two plastic screws on the rear of the engine cover give me problem. I don't know how to unscrew them. Should I pull then straight up, turn counterclock wise??

Any one can share his experience? Thanks. :confuse:
  • I have an 05' Corolla S; when I installed my air intake I had to take off the plastic cover. I used a ratchet (forgot what size socket) and removed the 4 bolts, counter-clockwise. It was easy. Let me know how it goes; I want to change my plugs too. Also, tell me what kind of plugs you installed. Thanks.
  • cshawncshawn Posts: 2
    almost every time when I shift gear from P to R, there is always a 'bon' that sounds is from front left of the car. what is that noise? Thanks a lot :confuse:
  • penizzlepenizzle Posts: 104
    What do you mean "bon". If you mean a bang or a thud, it sounds like motor and or tranny mounts not supporting good enough. There are various noises that com e from the front left, such as clicking solenoids when the tranny is shifted or such. Can you describe the noise better?
  • cmrpcmrp Posts: 1
    I am facing the same problem - I have replaced my tire,but the
    MIDAS tech said $600 for replacing the rear struts. I am not sure if it costs so much. How did you fix your problem?

Thanks!!!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Are there any common problems or design flaws that have still not been remedied on the latest 2007 Corollas?

Some Toyotas have transmission issues etc..

There is a new, fully redesigned Corolla only months away. It will probably look better and drive better, but will cost more and may have first year or first few year issues.

Since I can get ABS, VSC and side air bags optionally on a 2007 Corolla and install an aftermaket AUX input in the stereo, I can't think of anything of substance worth waiting for on a 2008. More modern styling and added driving/riding refinement will be nice, but not for a big price premium.

What are the common problems with the current Corolla sedans?
  • poliva2poliva2 Posts: 25
    I get the same noise when i go from park to drive two seconds after accelerating. Its like a Ping noise. It only occurs after i start my car.
  • john500john500 Posts: 409
    Nightattack,

Was that an aftermarket cold air intake or short ram intake? If so, who made it? I haven't seen any aftermarket cold air or short ram air intake systems beyond the 2004 Corolla (last year of cable throttle control).
  • cshawncshawn Posts: 2
    Thank you for reply. It sounds like a "bang" generated by metal parts that are forced to move. It happens when I shift gear from P to R and from D to R. Thanks again.
  • yl242yl242 Posts: 7
    I got a 2004 corolla still on warranty (23,000 miles). There is a plastic/rubber burnt smell in the cabin, especially strong with stop-and-go. The dealer checked it many times (changed the catalytic converter twice), but the smell persists. What is the problem?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Sounds like a slipping clutch that should be replaced. Try testing it by putting it in 5th at 25 mph and trying to accelerate quickly. If the rpm's go up with little or no increase in speed, that's the problem.
  • lahirilahiri Posts: 394
    Bad sensors are responsible for CEL (on and off problem). Apparently, the Govt. regulation that requires replacing gasoline additive MTBE by ethanol has some connection to this problem. Call Toyota for more information. A friend of mine had this problem with his Camry and he also had to replace the sensors. Replacing the sensors will cost you about $200-300.
    Try using 93 grade gasoline and see if that changes anything. If that reduces the smell, then call Toyota for more information.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    take it somewhere else.

could be underproofing applied to the underside of the car burning off because it is in contact with part of the exhaust system, or a loose part from the fire wall in contact with the exhaust.

could be oil or coolant burning off a hot part.

could be a hose in contact with a part of the exhaust.

it could be many things and the first sign of something bad.

seems like your dealer can't do the diagnosis properly. if the CAT were bad, you'd be smelling a sulfer type smell, not a plastic type smell in my opinion.
  • I installed an AEM Short Ram Intake. AEM also makes a Cold Air Intake as well, but it's more expensive. Here's the site: AEM When I purchased my intake (Feb 06'), they were only available for 03-04 Corollas with the throttle cables. Since our Corollas (05 & beyond) have electronic throttles, I didn't have to use all the parts that came with the kit. However, I did have to make a hole in the small rubber tube that connects the metal intake tube and the throttle connector, fit a grommet and put a different plastic tube for the PCV (I think that's what it is). Takes about 1hr for the install and it made a BIG DIFFERENCE in MPG, at least for me. If you want pictures of what I'm talking about, let me know.
  • limelime Posts: 9
    The dealer has found out the code is P2716 (Pressure control solenoid D electrical) which is something related to transmission shifting problem, he said he needs more days to check the car, but he has already stated that the problem was come from the overfill of gas oil, do you think it is possible?
    I know many people in this field have 05 Corolla, please let me know when is the 1st time to change or add the fluid in the transmission? Is it depend on the weather of the city you live?
    If anyone knows anything about the above, please give me some advice. Thanks....
    You need to call Toyota. Overfill sounds like an excuse - the dealer has no business telling us that we don't know how to fill our tanks. And, it's possible that the problem I mentioned (MTBE vs. Ethanol as additive) is not related.

Most Japanese compact sedans need transmission fluid replacement every 30,000 miles and new spark plugs every 30,000 miles. Oil change every 3750 miles, tire rotation/ balancing every 7500 miles, air filter change every 15000 miles. Other services such as coolant system flush, wheel alignment, etc. - only if needed. I don't think this has anything to do with where you live (I don't know whether southern states add anti-freeze like people in snowbelts do... besides these little quirks, the schedule should be same).
  • I have always got reliable feedbacks from you guys and I really appreciate that. I have Type 3 audio system (that's what the manual says). But I was unable to locate where to load an audio CD. There is no slot on the audio system like conventional CD player. Can someone help me out with this?

Thank you.
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    I can't think of anything of substance worth waiting for on a 2008.

On it's own, a steering wheel adjustable for reach as well as tilt, would be enough for me to change.