Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I recently replaced the dome light bulb and now my seat belt light constantly flashes. I took out the light bulb and the flashing stopped. I called my Toyota dealer service department to ask if this was a problem with my model of Toyota (a 2000 Toyota Corolla sedan) and they said that I should bring it in for them to look at. I don't want to spend the money for a service check. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla LE with about 70,000 miles. I just replaced the bulb in the overhead light and the seat belt light started flashing. It didn't stop flashing until I removed the overhead light bulb. I called my Toyota dealer to ask if this is a problem with this model. Naturally he wanted me to bring in the car for a checkup. I always do the intermittent checkups. All I wanted was an answer to my question. Has anyone out there had the same problem? What have you done, if anything, about this problem? Right now my dome light isn't working and I plan on leaving it that way if that is my only issue.
  • Hi! I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla with 180K miles. When idling (such as at a stopsign or stoplight), there is a rattling/shaking noise under the hood. If I were to shift the car into park, the noise stops. It doesn't make the noise at any other time while driving, and seems to make the noise less when warmed up. Anyone have an idea?
  • I have a 1991 Corolla. It failed the emission test for NOx. The CO and HC readings were fine and well below the maximum allowed. The "check engine" light has never come on and there are no error codes stored in the computer. The vacuum hoses are all good and fastened tightly and vacuum gauge readings are all normal. Spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, and timing are all good. I tested the O2 sensor with a meter, and it fluctuates as specified between 0.3 and 0.7 volts indicating that the computer is consistently mixing the correct fuel/air ratio. There is no EGR valve, MAF, or O2 sensor after the converter on this engine (a 4AFE 1.6 liter), so that wouldn't be the problem. The car drives fine with no hesitation upon acceleration, although it idles a little rough at times and I get an amazing 36 mpg on the highway even though the EPA estimate for the highway is 29 mpg. I don't know if this is because of an overly lean conditon, but like I said, the O2 sensor is reading correctly and there are no computer error codes coming up. The car has 55,000 miles on it and this is the first time it hasn't passed the NOx test. (however,it passed 2000 miles ago) Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what the problem could be? I'm thinking converter, but I'd like to verify this with someone else who has had the same problem.
  • I have had a similar problem with my car. It has been serviced 6 times for this issue and they have not discovered the real cause. What was the outcome? My car is a 2003 and the first issue began at 30,000 miles.
  • dkarschdkarsch Posts: 72
    I was wondering if any one has had any problems with the lower body trim on the S model. I see that it has a rubber gasket between it and the car which is the same type of gasket that gave me trouble on my Tacoma overfenders. Is the trim staying tight against the vehicle?

Thanks!
  • My son is having problems with his Toyota. When he stops at a stop sign he has to put his car in low then wait till it gets to 10 MPH to shift up to high. This is an automatic transmission. Someone said it sounded like the sensor. If so where is this little thingy at and is the possible answer to the problem . Need help in a big way here.
    TIA
    Sandy
  • 488488 Posts: 8
    Garage door malfunctioned and the aerial and the threaded nut(?) was pulled from the base of the roof mount. The dealer is 100 mile trip away. Does anyone know what would be involved with fixing the problem? The two people I talked to at the dealer did not know what was required to do the fix. Can the nut(?) be put back into the base? Can the base be changed without changing the the wire lead to the head unit?
  • normo1normo1 Posts: 2
    Greetings,my daughter's earlier model Corolla had the same symptoms---very frustrating finally undone the earth wire on the body/inside mudguard cleaned it and re tightened.
    Problem now gone.
    Earth on this earlier car has two wires,1 to the engine,1 to the body---anyway if all else fails try this idea.
    Bye for now,Normo1
  • normo1normo1 Posts: 2
    Greetings,please read my post number 2679 as my daughter had the same problems,bye for now,Normo1
  • To lower Nox you should have fresh oil and to decarbonize your engine you can use fuel cleaner by putting trough the trottle body while engine running. You can use half a bottle and little by little. Unless you have a vacuum leak, this will make a rough idle at low Rpms. Check all your hoses for vacuum leaks. Also its a good idea to use a bottle of fuel cleaner that you can put with a full tank. You can get it at Autozone or Kragen. Don't get the cheaper kind 'cause it might not work as good. If you didn't get new spark plug wires its better to check your wires with an ohm meter 'cause if they're not within specified range for your car, the car might run good but it makes big difference on Nox readings. If you drive your car almost every day, it's advisable to change your wires every two years.
    O2 sensors are supposed to be changed at 40k to 50k of life. I had a sensor was reading okay and the car wouldn't pass smoke check until I changed the sensor.
    Catalitic converters are supposed to last a long time. Although if your O2 sensor was bad it will shorten its life. They also have a life warranty of about 50k miles. Unless it was the original which should last longer.
  • llumedllumed Posts: 3
    I too have a high pitched annoying whistle at freeway speeds. It sounds like it comes from the dashboard or speedmeter. its a 2005 corolla S. It is aweful. I don't think my dealer has done much to try to fix it. The only way I can get it to stop is to slow why way down. Has anyone called toyota or found a cause?
  • I have a 98 Corolla, and the Gas pedal is starting to stick, has anyone experienced this problem and if so, what was done to fix it?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Have you ever had the throttle body cleaned?
  • This question will probably be my answer but where exactly is that? No, I have never had it cleaned.
  • dadof6dadof6 Posts: 61
    This is serviced as a unit except the mast that threads into the base. Go see a local body shop for an estimate. The last I knew the antenna is an assembly from the base in the roof to the radio & has an amplifier in it. Lotsa bucks. Good luck.
    We have seen stuck piston rings on these engines that leads to a quart every 500 miles of use. You need a "ring job". The timing chain is a "fix it when it's noisey" thing and not a scheduled maint. item. The ring job with timing chain runs about $2000 with shop rates of $60/hr.
    I have seen most of these noises coming from front doors that don't fit tight enough. When you hear the noise push out alittle at the top of the front doors--this should change the noise confirming the diagnosis AND which door is out of adjustment.
    The only other thing I have seen, and it is rare, is windsheild mouldings that buzz at higher speeds. This noise is very hard to duplicate so it may be just easier to do the repair which is to have a body shop reseal the mldgs to the glass.
    The Tacoma overfender gaskets falling off was a problem unique to certain Tacomas & addressed in a TSB.
    You Corolla should be fine.
    Is the noise on the passenger side of the engine compartment? Sounds like a timing belt loose from wear or stretching.