Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    This mechanic might be a nice guy but he's a bad guesser. He needs to drive the car to failure and then diagnose it. I agree, a funky fuel pump sounds likely. I don't know where he came up with the distributor idea, that sounds off the wall. The tune up was an okay suggestion.

The mechanic is "shot-gunning" the car, that is, firing parts at it hoping to hit something. You need to maybe find someone with more skill and patience---not saying these intermediate problems aren't difficult---they are, and very time consuming.

Ideally, he'd be driving the car with a fuel pressure gauge attached or maybe he could read a code even with the rather simple onboard diagnostic system your car has.

Certainly there is no reason to get rid of the car, but you may need to change mechanics if this guy doesn't get scientific instead of playing hunches.
  • nevonenevone Posts: 1
    I to have found that replacing the struts on my 99 corolla is very expensive. About 800 dollars for all four to be replaced quoted from Les Schwab tires. I think I will purchase some and try to install myself. Has anybody done this and are any special tools needed?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,626
    You'll need good jackstands, a floor jack and a spring compressor.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    And a lot of care to avoid being hurt by the spring if it slips out of the compresser, and a wheel alignment when it's all done.

Yes, I've done it.....and I've also paid others to do it as well. Much easier to write a check if you can.
  • steve147steve147 Posts: 2
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did think it was odd the mechanic did not drive the car more rather than just iddling it. I think I will get a second opinion. If any one has any other ideas, please let me know.
  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 3
    This is a post of over 2 years ago, but does anyone know how to remove the awful fake wood trim on the 2003-2007 Corolla LE?

For example, is there anyway to install a carbon fiber dashboard kit trim over the fake wood, or would you need to scrape the fake wood out first. Thanks.
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    There's a chapter on that in the Haynes manual you can get at Pep Boys. One of the marks of the LE is the distinctive trim...since you don't want it, it seems to me that you could buy the trim for the CE, which offers the plainer trim, and simply switch them out.
  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 3
    Yeah, I had no choice but to buy the LE since I was buying a closeout 2007. I wanted side airbags too, and in Cali I believe only LEs have side airbags. Are you saying that the Haynes manual will tell me how to replace the trim? Thanks
    My Haynes manual does...the newer generation is made differently than my 8th generation, but the part that covers the radio area just pops out with a flat screwdriver - it's the section that goes down into the console that's more involved.

Oddly enough I had thought of ADDING the wood trim to my '98, but when I found out the pieces were $300, I figured I could live with the plainness! LOL

You might even be able to get an interlibrary loan and find it that way. Be careful with library books, though. They frown on you taking stuff back to them all filthy!
  • sjagdalesjagdale Posts: 2
    hi

I bought 1999 Corolla around 6 months back.

Recently I found that BURNING SMELL IS coming from under hood and near front tires. I inspected the brakes and they are good.

Can anyone suggest what should I look for ? or ask the mechanic?

PLEASE HELP...

Thanks
    Well, if it were me, I'd take it to the dealer and tell them you want to find out what the burning smell is under the hood, and that you'd like an estimate on the cost to fix. Then take it someplace cheaper.
  • rideboyrideboy Posts: 7
    Did you ever find the cause for the engine light coming on?
    I have 1 2003 Corolla with 35,000 miles on it,and the light has come on 2 times, both times after highway travel.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
  • Breaker on the harness wiring about to go, if it has not already done so. First you will notice some smoke coming from under the hood and then flames when you stop.
  • I have a 97 Corolla. New Master Cylinder.
    The left side Front will not engage. Will replacing the Proportion Valve do the Trick? Is the valve right next to the master cylinder? HELP !
  • alex24alex24 Posts: 54
    Never heard of a proportion valve, All you have is your master cylinder, brake lines and calipars with brake pads, and option rear brake cylinders with brake shoes, If your front left side is not engaging, try bleeding the brake line with another person footing the brake peddle, if brake fluid shoots out hard, its ok, if fluid comes out slow or not at all while your holding pressure on the brake peddle then that short rubber brake line to the calipar is cloged or defected from age, and not letting fluid push out the calipar piston, if your rubber brake line is good then calipar may be bad from rust and piston could be stuck. As I repair my own cars for over 30 years, and replaced master cylinders, Lines, Rotors, calipars and all, but this proportion valve does not ring a bell, unless thats in your master cylinder which you would replace if bad, not rebuild it yourself, Hope I help ya, Alex
  • gchernyagchernya Posts: 11
    Corolla questions: Does anyone has experience with occupant classification system re-calibration? How much it cost (passenger seat was replaced on the used one from another car…) There are several warnings in the manual do not disconnect the battery… What will happen if I did disconnect it? Security light on the dashboard (left sub-panel) went off permanently… What the fix?…. Any source of dumb (non-transponder) keys for 2006 corolla on the net?
    Does anyone under impression that too many things on this car required dealer visit?
    If I wanted Mercedes (some geezers just love it for the sake of customers lounge with free doughnuts) , I would have gotten one…
    Sounds like camshaft position sensor... Try to put one from the old engine onto a new one... Check any other sensors on the engine and swap them onto the old ones one by one...
    Long shot, but sounds like torque converter lock fault after sufficient warm up... very hard to catch up when interminient... Try to brake in several hard jolts before the light... try to drive around with o/d off... lock occured on a relatively high speed like above 45-50... so if you drive under you might never encounter it... Try to do transmission flash, it might be due on the car of this age...
    Unfortunately your estimate in about right... check the KYB struts, last time I've got them about $70 delivered, but installation will range from 50 to 100 apiece and, no it is not diy job... not complicated, but there number of very rusty bolts to unscrew, alot of high car lifting, possible axels disconnect, spring decompression/compression, and above all there is aligment after that... If you can find low milage car on salvage yard, and buy the 4 assemblies(with springs and bearings), then I would risc.. , but only if ever personally disconnected ball joints and steering rack... Btw while you there check the lover arms, you might want to replace those too...
  • leede1leede1 Posts: 1
    My car wont start...

we put in a new distributor...new spark plugs....and battery..alternator..and yet it still dont work..

anyone know why it wont start then?