Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• c2cpc2cp Posts: 11
    I have a 02 corolla ce and I noticed that the daytime running lights will not come on.
    My headlights work just fine including parks and they still come on by themselves.
    I checked the fuse and relay under the hood and they are fine. What else could I check that could be causing the problem?
    thanks
  • Hallelujah,

Thats one of the greatest advancements on the Corolla. Does Toyota still use timing belts on any of it's products?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Few, if any, and if they still do, they won't soon, because all of their new engines use chains.
  • My 2006 Corolla with 52,000 has a computer glitch. A part in the computer will not read the chip in the key all of a sudden-they are not comaptible now. The car starts then dies within 5 seconds. The dealer has to order a part today and install it tomorrow or Wednesday. Is this covered by the Drivetrain warranty-5 years or 60,000 miles or where do these computer issues fall under? Is this a common issue, should there be a recall?
  • No I don't think it's a drivetrain warranty issue, but that's just my two cents. Toyota has the final say.

There won't be a recall because it's not a safety related issue. There isn't even a Technical Service Bulletin on it, so this is apparently not a common thing with Corollas of that year.

Cars that fail to read the key chip are legion, if you read the complaints all over Edmunds, for various makes and models. I think what happens is that somehow, through corrosion or whatever, the computer no longer reads the proper resistance in the chip.

Have you tried cleaning up the key at all?

I've heard of a trick on GM cars where people install a resistor equal to the key's resistance value, right into the ignition circuit as it exits the steering post, and this essentially by-passes the whole silly thing.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Recall???? This is the very first time I have even heard of this problem on this Toyota forum, aren't recalls and service bulletins reserved just for common problems that a number of owners are having with the same issue? Recalls are not issued for such isolated problems.
  • Is this what is called a ECU-when the computer does not read chip in key? I am very unknowledgeable regarding cars, is this called a Electronic Computer Unit in the vehicle? If it is, there is a post in Maintenance, Recalls and TSB on Edmunds regarding the issue I am experiencing with my 2006 Corolla. It states that there was a ECU Flash Reprogramming procedure. I do not mean to be ignorant, I am just trying to understand.
  • I think that relates to a driveability issue. The ECU could conceivably not be reading your key correctly but more likely the key device is defective. One always goes to the simplest explanation first is what I mean, in any good diagnosis. The chip in a sense gives the ECU a signal. No signal, wrong signal, no GO!
  • Hello,
    I bought a used 2000 Corolla about 6 weeks ago from an individual. Since then I've had a new alternator and a new battery. Then my oil light came on and I had to get towed. They found a lot of sludge on the oil screen which they cleaned off and then told me to get the oil changed more often for a while to clean it up more. Now, a friend's trusted mechanic tells me the sludge is still a big problem and there has been damage to the engine. My plan was to drive to the heart of Mexico where I live much of the year. Now I feel nervous about making the trip. The mechanic says the engine could go at any time. He doesn't seem to be trying to sell me anything and doesn't recomment any repairs.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to make the car safer? He says the damage is already done. Or, do I just have to call the car a lost cause and sell it to someone who isn't planning such a long trip? Or, do I drive to Mexio hoping for the best?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
  • Thanks for your advice and brainstorming on my issue. The dealer said that the immobilizer had to be replaced and thank goodness it is under warranty...how lucky am I? What do you know about an immobilizer? Thanks!
  • You mean he had the oil pan off? Unless he's been inside the engine (oil pan off or valve covers off) then he doesn't have a clue. If he saw lots of thick greasy sludge (like a solid gooey mass you have to scrape off) then that is pretty bad news, yes. But if he just looked at the oil cap in the valve cover that doesn't tell you anything.

You might, if there really is sludge INSIDE the engine, to do an oil flush by machine, then put in cheap oil and idle for 1/2 hour, dump that, then put in synthetic and run the car hard for 1,000 miles before you take off. No more oil light? Then you might be okay.

If the oil light comes back on, the low pressure should be verified with an oil pressure gauge. The light could be a defective sensor and give a false reading.

So tell us what your mechanic took apart and what he saw.
  • Stupid vehicle... I have a 2007 toyota corolla, i drove it fine this morning for 25 miles, stoped at the gas station for coffee and a breakfast sandwhich. went to turn the car on and it started. I thought anyways... it died in the 5 seconds of changing from park to drive.,.... it keeps starting but imediatly dies if i dont hold the gas down.... anyone know whats wrong with it? About three weeks ago it was running really high in RPMs.... i cleaned the air filter and it ran fine after that.... now this...

I bought this car brand new with 21 miles on it. It now has 30343 miles... i use this car to get from home to school everyday and i am really stressed with this vehicle doing [non-permissible content removed] like this to me....First day i got it, there was a clicking noise coming from under the hood. Took it back and they couldnt find it, but it had stopped. Is this vehicle a Lemon or am i just abusive on it and dont know better?????? Oil always changed every 5k miles. fluids refilled/checked at every oil change....
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    After you put on 30,321 miles with only a couple of glitches. You want to know if this vehicle is a lemon. :confuse:

You got to be kidding. However if your not kidding than I agree with you. You are ABUSIVE and DON'T KNOW BETTER :shades:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    >It now has 30343 miles...

Isn't it under warranty? Go back to a dealer. More than one if they don't know what to do.

This message has been approved.

"Cleaned the air filter" interesting!
    Need a couple bucks to buy a new one? Seriously though, most people do change the air filter, versus cleaning them. You know, throw them away and replace them?????
  • (My Granddaughter) Has a 2006 carola, 47,000 miles. Get in one day and engine light is on. Start up, car jumps upon acceleration. Took to Pep boys, close to work. They diagnosis ignition coil on 3rd cylinder. ($100 to do this) Replaced ignition coil. Sill jumping. They say it might be computer problem? If they put on diagnositic computer and it tells them engine coil why would they say computer problem? Appreciate any help. I am going to pick up car now and take to dealer
    Bob
  • I think I know the answer to this question; but is the belt tensioner covered under the powertrain warranty? (I doubt it) How long can the belt tensioner chirp before worrying about it. (Should I get it fixed right away?) The chirping goes away after warming up.

Thanks!!
    Because Manny and Moe don't know Jack!
  • Hi,

We have a 2009 Corolla that we really like except for the horn. You can't hear it in traffic, which is a dangerous situation. I want to replace the horn but have a question about the horn's wiring. When I examined it I found one black wire connected to the horn itself and a green wire and white wire from the same wiring bundle as the black wire connected together and attached to a bracket at the bottom of the radiator. My question is: is the black wire coming from the battery, the white wire from the horn and the green is a ground wire?

Thanks for your help.

Jim
    Is it possible that your horn is just not working correctly? The horn in my "09" Corolla is plenty loud. Altering the horn with an after market part yourself is sure to void your warranty in some fashion if you should ever have a wiring/electrical problem in this area in the next 36 months or 36,000 miles.