Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    It's not washable, but I suppose you could clean it with air pressure. Personally, I think they are cheap enough to just change them, and it only takes a couple minutes.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Engine air filters are never washable as they are composed of a paper product. Cabin air filters, I suppose, could be rinsed off and reused but I would never attempt to be that frugal.
  • I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla with around 14K miles on it. There are hardly any miles on the car but since the car has completed 3 years now (its a Jan 06 purchase) should I get the 60K service done ?
    Should the service be based on miles or time or whatever is reached first ?
    Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    If you check the Toyota service guide (NOT the one from the dealer, from Toyota)that came with the car, it will tell you what needs to be done in both miles and time, whichever comes first.
    Have three Toyotas, two over 100,000 miles, and never had the regular maintenace done. It's just a money maker for the dealerships. Especially with only 14,000 miles on the odometer. Get your oil changed regularly, rotate your tires occasionally, and you'll be fine, remember, it's a TOYOTA!
  • noyb1noyb1 Posts: 1
    i have a toyota corolla 1.3... it has an immobiliser alarm, TOAD (im in the UK)
    when i press the alarm button so the car unlocks, the greenn light on the alarm works but nothing happens to my car, it doesnt make any sound and the doors dont unlock.
    i unlocked the car by the key, normally this would set the alarm off, but it didnt???
    so i put the key in the ignition and it turns but doesnt do a damn thing! no noise at all.
    also the buttons that open and close the doors automatically dont work. normally when im in the car and everything is normal the button that locks all the doors work without me even putting the key in the ignition.
    whats wrong with my car? please help me!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    One big downside to not doing maintenance per the manufacturer's schedule is that if there IS a problem within the warranty period and the problem can be related to lack of maintenance, the manufacturer does not have to honor the warranty.

Scheduled maintenance doesn't have to be done by a dealer--it can be done by ANYONE who has the skill to do it--some other mechanic, even the owner if so inclined. Just be sure to keep all receipts, not only in case of a warranty claim but it helps with resale--buyers like to see that a car was well maintained.
    The manual also states that records to prove that you had the required maintenance performed are not required and Toyota will still honor the warranty regardless of lack of records. Up until 60K miles the only requirement, besides visual inspections, are oil and filter changes and tire rotation, both of which I suggested DO get completed. Even at 60K the only thing they add is coolant flush and refill. Of course, by the time you get past 36K your warranty expired making the record keeping and maintenance performance for the warranty mute anyway. However, I do suggest as you do, accurate record keeping for any repairs or maintenance done to your vehicle regardless of who performs it and what you have done. This will definitely increase your odds of a more rapid resale with increased value of your vehicle.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    Toyota is very generous to take the owner's word that required maintenance has been done! That alone might be a good reason to buy a Toyota.

Toyota does caution on its Web site, however, that "Repairs and adjustments to your vehicle caused by lack of proper maintenance are not covered under your new vehicle warranty. In addition, repairs and adjustments caused by improper maintenance or the use of fluids other than those specified in your Owner's Manual are not covered under your warranty." I wonder why they'd even have that clause since an owner could always say, "I did all the required maintenance" (whether they did or not) and all Toyota could do is say, "Oh. OK then."

There are a few extra service items at 30k and 60k, but interestingly replacing engine coolant isn't one of them--just inspecting it. Modern cars like the 2009 Corolla really have reduced the maintenance requirements, haven't they? Might be a good idea to have the 60k service done a bit early--before the 60k powertrain warranty runs out.
  • QNowQNow Posts: 1
    Kelsey - did you fix the windshield? If so, did that work?

I'm having the exact same problem with my 2007 Corolla.
  • c2cpc2cp Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 corolla s and had the tension pulley go bad it would rattle when in gear during certain rpm ranges so I bought a new pulley with the assembly from toyota and within a year it also went bad. I know there has been alot of problems with the pulleys from toyota. I am going to try a aftermarket part. my question is the problem in the assembly or the pulley? I would hate to have to replace the whole assembly since it costs so much. If anybody knows please let me know.
    thanks
    I know on my 2001 LE the car was recalled shortly after I purchased it for the tensioner. They put a new one on and haven't had a problem. Of course I didn't have a problem before it was recalled either.
  • hello,

New to the site.... Have a 2004 corolla(54,000 miles) had the squeaking belt- tensioner problem and replaced this(what fun doing this thanks toyota) and it has helped!!! put on a dayco ribbed v belt aswell.. Now I have always had this crazy grinding bearing noise when it is cold out.... Goes away after the car warms up....??????

Was thinking of squirting wd40 at the alternator bearing then the water pump so see if this goes away..... Has to be below 30 for it to happen thou....real strange Sounds like it is low in the engine.. I cant tell where its from...

Please let me know if anyone has had this problem or know s what to do or check for
  • Have a 2004 corolla(54,000 miles) had the squeaking sound and replaced the belt- tensioner myself... put on a dayco ribbed v belt aswell now that problems is gone...Use to hate that sound....Now I have always had this crazy grinding bearing noise when it is real cold out.... Goes away after the car warms up....??????Not a squeaking sound more of a hummm o/ grind bearing noise... Does not do this all the time..... Randomly will do this when it is under 30 outside...or freezing temps..

Dont seem to know what to do or check.... This started at about 10,000 miles never happens in the summer.... only all winter long.... Anyone with ideas guessing its a bearing in the waterpump, alternator or something.... seems low on the front engine when it happens cant seem to pin point it thou..... ????????? dry timing chain???? bearing in there?????
  • The tensioner problem seems to be very common on the Corolla's from what I have heard. My cousin-in-law went ahead and had it replaced at the Toyota dealership he works at under a goodwill warranty. That was 1 year ago and it has gone bad again. So now I have to replace it again. As for the grinding noise it seems to be the starter. Starters usually grind upon startup when cold because the solenoid sticks. This obviously isn't a problem during the warmer months. However, this sticking issue is going to take it's toll on the starter eventually.
  • I had the same problem it was usually the rear more often than the front. I removed the rear drums and clean off all the brake dust and lightly sanded the shoes and drums reinstalled them adjusted them for proper operation and it stopped the same with the front.
  • hey Andy try the ignition module that goes u usually wont get a spark
  • My check engine light came on today and started jerking on my way to work. Worried I stopped by a repair shop on my way to work to see what the issue was. They told me it was a P2716 solenoid d issue, and that my car was still under warranty so to take it to the dealership. They said they would go ahead and reset it for me and give me the diagnostics so I didn't have to pay a diagnostics fee twice. I called a dealership and they won't touch my car until the check engine light comes back on since they need to pull the code on their own diagnostic system for warranty issues. The told me basically to keep driving it and eventually the light would probably comem back on.

My warranty is up in August. Does anybody know when this type of code will set an engine light again? Is the dealership just giving me the run around? I'm concerned my warranty is going to expire and then the light will come back on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
  • I have a 2005 Corolla. It had the Check Engine Light on ever since i bought it. When it was under warranty, the dealer replaced the O2 sensor thee times and the check engine light kept coming on. After, the warranty (36,000mi), the dealer told me to take a hike. Now the diagnostics is saying the main computer is bad which is warranteed until 80K miles. I have 83K miles and Toyota is saying "too bad". Doea anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.