Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    8900 miles???????
  • alex24alex24 Posts: 54
    If your engine light is on and your car is running good, there is no problem, some times the engine light will come on because of a poor wire connection or etc. Try this first, disconnect the positive battery cable for a few minutes, reconnect it, start the car, this may solve the engine light coming on when nothing is wrong with your car. I have done this with many different cars over the years. If your car is running good , do not try to fix it. Also some cars have automatic timers to make the light come on to remind you of maintenence they think you should do, that may really not be needed.
  • Some of the covering on the door by the windows is coming loose on my 2003 Toyota Corolla as well as the passenger arm rest panel covering. Any suggestions? Is this a common problem? Also, the door locks won't work in the car. They are manual and not electrical. The windows are manual, also. Any suggestions for fixing this will be greatly appreciated.
  • Do the locks work outside but not inside or do they not work with the key on the outside as in the key turns but nothing happens? What's wrong with the windows anything? Also are you talking about the lip that/ is up against the glass. I have thoughts that maybe you were locked out or someone tried to break into the vehicle. The linkage could be bent and if they used an under the window tool to try and open it that could explain the door panel problem by the window.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,643
    Are you talking about the front fender?

That's going to cost at least $750, maybe more, at least where I live. The dent has to be worked out, and the fender entire re-painted. Or a new fender ordered, primed and painted.

But regardless---usually it doesn't pay to make a claim unless you hit $1500 or so. Not sure you'd get that high with this repair. I'm thinkin' $600--$800.

You'd be better off getting your own estimate just to be sure you make the right decision.
    "usually it doesn't pay to make a claim unless you hit $1500 or so"

Why would you say this? She has $750.00 deductible, so anything over $750.00 is money in her pocket to pay for her repair.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    Your forget that as soon as you make a claim your rates will be going up.
    Yeah Dave's on it. The $750 in her pocket become $750 out of her pocket in the next 2 years of rate hikes. I said $1500 because that's what I'm told by all the insurance gurus is the estimated break-even point.

Of course, all this is generalization. It would depend on your insurance company and perhaps on you claim history. But it's risky making a claim for a low amount. It's still "a claim". I know this sucks, don't shoot the messenger :P
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    It would be worth talking with the insurance agent about it. Some companies don't treat a claim as "chargeable" if it's not the fault of the owner, e.g. if the car is hit while parked. But then there can be a limit to how many non-chargeable accidents are allowed before the rates go up. If the rates do go up for something like that, switch to a different insurance company. I must get a quote a day in the mail these days. They are hungry for business.
  • I have a 03' Corolla.
    at 2pm, I parked my car in a local parking lot, when I came back to fetch the car around 7pm, the car won't start.

without plugging in the key, I can constantly hear the flickering sound ( as if came out from the direction lights )

I got one of my friends came to jump start the car with cables, the electric system seems fine, panel lit up, the radio is playing, but I can't hear any sound from the ignition, eventually the car still didn't start.

Can anyone assist me on the issue?
    Sure could! Sounds like a starter to me.
    "Your forget that as soon as you make a claim your rates will be going up".

No Dave, that's not necessarily true. This day and age many people have what they call accident forgiveness or many other reasons why their insurance would nopt increase. Even if it would increase for this insured the increase would be minimal in comparison to the potential $750.00 "Mr. Shiftright" is suggesting that she puts out of pocket.
    Perhaps, but you'd have to figure the increase over the number of years of the increase. If they jack you up only $250 a year, still in three years you've paid out the $750.

Insurance companies are about as predictable as a baby with a loaded revolver. They could put it down and go back to sleep or they could fill you fill of holes. You never know with these guys.

I've spent years trying to plot a discernible pattern to their behavior in various situations and I've never been able to do it. I've seen them write generous checks one day and the same company dig its heels in on paying an extra $500 on total loss and forcing arbitration--even THOUGH the arbitration costs them more than $500!!

Crazy? Yes, seems like it, but there you go.
    I couldn't agree more with that statement. I've seen the same flip flop type of behavior with the insurance companies of my family and friends.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
  • loulou13loulou13 Posts: 4
    I have had my 2008 Corolla about 1 1/2 years. Recently there has been a squeaky noise in the area of the rear windshield. It gets much worse when the weather is hot. I took it in to Toyota and they could not find anything the first go round. I have apt to take back in. Has anyone had similar problem?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    check the rear suspension
  • loulou13loulou13 Posts: 4
    The noise sounds like it is around the glass area when traveling over rough roads.
    Would suspension be that loud inside car?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    yes, the top of the suspension area is right there.