Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    In 2009 Toyota didn't make the CE model and even the 2009 base model is equipped with TPMS.

They did, and still do, in Canada where the poster lives. Even on the 2010 CE TPMS is still an option.
  • Check into Nokian's http://www.nokiantires.com . I've never heard a bad thing about them. The Subaru community swear by them. I'm personally not a fan of Michelin tires. I think they are overrated and overpriced. They might make good tires but usually for the same price you can get a much better performing tire from someone else.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Oh! Why is that?
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    I imagine that, since it is not yet required by law, it is excluded on grounds of cost.
  • c2cpc2cp Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 corolla and when I come to a stop the rpms fluctuate and it acts like it wants to stall any ideas?
  • alex24alex24 Posts: 54
    I had the same problem with a toyata Camry 4 cyl. engine, and it was my distributor unit shorting out, there is so much inside it , so its to hard to find what was shorting out, so had to replace the whole Distri. unit with a remanufactured one fron Advance auto parts, And that fix it. but your corolla might be different type Distri.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    It could also be the idle control solenoid. I had one on a Honda that went bad and the symptoms are similar.
  • Can it be a fuse problem if the AC suddenly quits working? How do you change a fuse in the AC box?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Sure, but you'd need to do much more troubleshooting to figure out what is wron

A/C is made up of a number of functions, many things could cause it to 'not work'.

Could be freon pressures or level of freon, compressor, compressor clutch, any of the pressure switches, fans, or electrical control circuitry up in the engine compartment.

Inside the car are the temperature and blower switches, and more electrical control circuitry.

What symptoms would you describe as not working?
    - Inside blower doesn't blow air high/me/low speeds?
    - sinside switches down't appear to work correctly?
    - a/c appears to work a little, blowing air but it's only a little bit cool.
    - a/c clutch on the a/c compressor isn't engaging to turn the compressor,
    - a/c compressor is making weird grinding noises
    - etc, etc, etc
  • Hello,
    Whenever I brake at about 35MPH or higher my 2004 Corolla LE shakes and vibrates. The faster I am traveling, the harder the vibration. I had the front brakes done in January and the tires are less than a year old. I thought having the brakes done and getting new tires would take care of the issue, but it didn't. What else could be going on here. It has about 96k miles on it. Thanks for your help!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I would suspect that your front rotors have warped with heat.

That's an easy replacement, they could have done it when doing your brake job while they had everything apart. Brake gently during the first couple hundred miles of your new rotors.
  • The rotors are warped. I replaced my wife's brake rotors after the factory ones warped. Which didn't happen until last year and she has owned the car since new (also an '04 but an S). When I replaced them I kind of cheaped out on the rotors and pads and well not 1 year later they are warped again. Sounds to me like whomever did the brakes also used lesser quality components. This is the first time I have ever experienced this kind of a problem when using cheaper/lower cost rotors so I am somewhat shocked. Next time I will use Toyota rotors and pads.

Also, If you do a few hard panic stops that is enough to warp the rotors. So your driving style is key. Also, if you ride your brakes they heat up and then when you use them somewhat hard they are soft enough to warp.
  • Great Thanks! Is this something that should be done right away? It's an uncomfortable feeling, but it still seems to break ok. Will not changing the rotors cause long-term damage to the car or cause a big safety issue?
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    If you are sure that your rotors are the problem they don't always have to be replaced. Rotors can easily be recut on a brake lathe if they are not worn too deeply. Only your auto technician can measure your rotors thickness and be able to tell you if they are able to be recut.
  • rrobson1rrobson1 Posts: 1
    hi there,
    i have the same problem with the trouble code PO741 torque convertor clutch solenoid performance. the check engine light comes on and off. i've got 79k miles on my 2004 toyota corolla s. do you mind sharing how you resolved your issue?
    many thanks,
    r
  • rlhoundsrlhounds Posts: 3
    I'm a 30 yr old female and want to change cv boots myself, does anyone know where I can get free online instructions to this?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,681
    I think a printed repair manual would be better for a newbie. Also you'll need to "tool up" for the job, and I think a repair book would help you make the right and thorough preparations by mentioning the tools and tool sizes. Believe me, once you are covered in that axle grease (and you are going to get VERY dirty) you're going to want some good photos as well as specific directions for your year and model. Very often the on-line help is more like a list of things to do, with little in the way of visuals, or a video, which is useless when trying to fix a car.

Your public library probably has what you need to get started. Be sure to work safe.
  • It might actually be easier and more cost effective to just replace the entire axle than to do just do the CV boots. Besides it would suck to do all that work for some boots only to have an axle start to go out on you a few thousand miles later. I look at it like this in order to replace the boots you practically have to remove the axle as is so why not just change them regardless if they need them or not it's just good old preventative maintenance. You can always buy a repair manual which if you don't mind getting down and dirty will be a worthwhile investment in the long run.
  • geodrivegeodrive Posts: 20
    Hi Guyz,
    I will be going for the first servicing of my corolla 09 - on lease.
    I know they gonna change the oil (35 $).
    What else should I expect ?
    Will their be any other kind of charges apart from oil change? I don't have any problems in the car to be reported.
    Generally how much time do they take for servicing at toyota service centers ?
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,681
    Good advice in principle but DON'T buy rebuilt axle kits made in China---they are not well balanced and your axles may end up vibrating like crazy. Either get them from Toyota, or get original Toyota ones from a wrecking yard.