Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    93-97 Corollas also had a belt. I believe that the 89-92 and 93-97 engines were non-interference. If the belt breaks you are stranded, but you won't have a wrecked engine.
  • In trying to set the trip meter in the area where the odometer is, I am not able to get the miles driven to show up again. Called the dealership and they want me to come in for a service to reset it. Any one out there know how to get this taken care of? It is a large number 3 showing in the area where the miles driven was and can not get it out. The owner's manual shows the number 3 but does not say what it means or how to clear it.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    Has anyone had an issue with the 60K/60mo powertrain warranty? Not the basic 36/36 one. I'm looking to buy an 07 Matrix and the previous owner had a coil/spark plug replaced at 39K and Toyota wouldn't cover it. What is excluded from the powertrain warranty?
  • I drive a 2003 Toyota Corolla and it has begun to miss a little when I'm on the road. I also noticed when I would start the car that it would start by turning over slowly then would speed up. Last night, it wouldn't start at all and I thought that it was the battery, but all the lights were on and they didn't dim when I would try to turn the motor on. There was no clicking noises.....nothing. Someone tested the battery and said it was fully charged. My son came and pushed me home......and when I got the car into the garage, it started like nothing happened. Anybody have any ideas as to what is causing this?
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Spark plugs and coils and other engine parts are not part of the powertrain. Powertrain parts are basically the transmission and the drivetrain.
  • It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and you have to read the fine print on your warranty.

But I think this is what you want:

TOYOTA POWERTRAIN WARRANTY
  • 1988 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I have oil leaking along the distributor shaft into the cap, then out and onto the trans and ground. I've already had the distributor off and replaced the o-ring on the shaft, but I'm told there is another o-ring or seal on the shaft. I'm pretty sure this is the oil leak, is it do-able? I'm pretty handy but not much experience on Toyotas (not that their distributors are any different than other cars).

Next, left side power steering rack seal is bad. Can the seal be replaced without taking the rack out of the car, does it make sense to replace only one seal or should I put in a reman rack?
  • Does anyone have a solution for removing a stuck rear hub assembly on a 2003 Corolla? So far tapping with hammer and applying penetrating oil have not worked. I am replacing the hub so any damage in removing it would not be a problem.
    Could sure use some good advice on this.
    Thanks">link title
    The handbrake is not on, right? Or are you talking about something completely different?
  • The trick is this.... Find the hole/s on the front of the of the drum cover. Now get a long machine bolt that's slightly larger than the hole. Now if you have air tools you can run the bolt in through the hole with an impact wrench and the drum cover will pop right off. If no air tools a good drill might do the trick. Learned that from a friend whom does inspections a long time ago and it has worked every time for me.
  • I have a 2004 corola s. There is relay clicking coming from under the dash behind steering column area, randomly, and persistent. It is very annoy. I having trouble pin point it out. It only clicking when traveling 65 mph+. Can't get get under the dash to see while the car is moving. It got to be a relay???? What are the possible relays in the area the will be clicking on high speed only. Anybody have have the same issue, or any idea please help?
  • Hello I have a 1993 corolla, that after i let it warm up for a while and then start driving it the cold air hits the engine and then the temp gauge goes back down to cold and the air gets only luke warm but then when I stop the car and let it warm up for a while the car will simply heat back up. but then once again after it is driven it will cool off again no more warm air. Anyone advise.
    Sounds like your thermostat may be stuck open. Try replacing it with a new one.
  • New here. Thanks for reading.

2001 Corolla CE. Recently after a day of driving off and on, the car would not start. No lights, no dinging with the key in the ignition, no clicking from a dead battery, nothing at all. Tried to turn it over a few times, nothing. Called my wife to come and give me a jump start, and a couple minutes later it started just fine before she arrived.

Today, same story, but the car had been sitting for a couple of hours. This time I was parked nose-in to some concrete barriers. When I turned the key, I heard the sound of a crotch rocket motorcycle revving from a mile off. Kind of a whine that lasts a few seconds, then dies. Waited about 5 minutes, and the car started fine.

In both cases, the stations programmed in the radio were reset to the factory defaults, and the digital dash clock reset. Just like I have disconnected the battery.

I've never had a problem of this type (other big ones) from this car. I enjoy working on my cars, but I've never been that great at diagnosing electrical issues.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    Well the most obvious place to start would be to remove and clean your battery terminals and reattach.
    By the way there is a thread called "Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair"

Good Luck, keep us informed as I myself have an "01"LE.
  • I was reading the post, and I know it is almost a year old, but I am having the same issue with my 2003 Corolla. A grinding type noise when the car is cold, and it goes away when it warms up. I took it to the shop and they said it was the belt tensioner, but I don't believe that based on the noise and where it is coming from.

Were you able to find the cause?
    Perhaps you should have listened to the Toyoa Technicians as there were many TSB reports issued concerning the Belt Tensioners on the 2000 up to 2006 Toyota Corollas. They should have offered to replace this $150 to $200 tensioner at no cost to you because of the warning of malfunction issued about your vehicle via the TSB..
  • So the speaker on the passerby side isn't working. I'm guessing it has something to do with the wiring. How do I open up the door panel and see what's wrong?

I don't know anything about cars so respond like I don't. Thanks.
  • They sure didn't offer to replace the part. What did the the TSB warning say? Are they required to replace the part? I don't have any issue replacing it myself, but won't if they will cover it. I haven't gotten around replacing because it only happens when it is cold. The noise has started again.
    You might want to follow this link to read all of the TSB's for the 2004 Toyota Corolla and then take it to your dealer and ask him about what they are doing about the know problem? I know when my tensioner went bad in my 2001 Corolla I received a letter directly from Toyota and it was replaced totally for free.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbresults_drilldown.cfm?start=1&- - SearchType=DrillDown&type=VEHICLE&year=2004&make=TOYOTA&model=COROLLA&&TYPENUM=1- - &SUBMIT=Retrieve+Recalls&PrintVersion=YES