Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    I have three pieces of advice for you.

Stay away from Mr. Lube, have your car serviced at a Toyota dealership. It doesn't really cost any more.
    Find out how to remove the cabin air filter (it's in the Owner's Manual). Remove it and vacuum it clean every 6 months or so. That way it will last you two or even three years instead of one. Make sure that you specify you don't want the dealer to replace it when you take the car in for service, unless it needs it.
    Don't fret over your fuel consumption, it will pick up again next spring.
  • Alrightyyyyyyyyy...I will stay away from Mr Lube types...
    Will learn Cabin air filter removing and cleaning....and wait for next spring :-)

This time toyota dealership guy told me that on next service (around 22000km) he will change my cabin filter as it will get very dirty by that time. But I will check myself before that...
    Thank You very much and hope it doesn't snow much this winter !!
  • I was told by the dealership and another shop that I need a power steering flush. My 2007 Corolla has 44,200 miles. Is this necessary or is there something wrong with this car? What is the cost for such a job?

Thanks.
  • That's considering it's all highway miles. Stop and go traffic and a lot of short trips here and there are considered extreme which should be 3,000 mile change intervals. Pretty much all of the manufacturers have been recommending 5,000 mile oil change intervals since around 2002 or so. Regardless I still feel better doing it at 3,000 miles with dino oils and 5,000(extreme)-7,000(highway) miles on full synthetics. Call it peace of mind.
  • There's nothing wrong with the car. They are just trying to squeeze more money out of you. I'd wait until 60k or 75k miles to do it personally. I did the wife's '04 around 70k I believe and that was a little over a year ago. It does need to be done but I think it's a bit premature at this time.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Agree - dealer trying to make extra money.
  • way too soon for that. Double it, then do it.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    44,000 miles is about right on track for transmission oil change. However, I highly discourage a flush, just a drain and refill is the way to go. I've herad too many times of trans. malfunction after a flush and refill.
  • he said power steering flush, tom.
  • Hello all -

I am new to the forum and, therefore, have not read any previous posts. That having been said I just got back from Tires Plus to get the tires on my car, not the Corolla, rotated and while there I asked how much it would cost to replace the rear suspension components on the Corolla, my brother's car. I was quoted $692.xx for 2 struts and 3.5 hours labor.

Does this sound reasonable?

Also, while I'm here, in 2007 my brother took this car in because it was jumping slightly and was told that there was a short in the electrical system somewhere. The technicians supposedly did something with the master wiring harness and it quit for a bit and came back. Has anybody else experienced this? How did you fix it?

I appreciate the help in advance. We're trying to keep this car running for a while since none of us can afford to replace it.
    Correct, flush was discouraged and drain and refill was recommended, just my oppinion!
  • Hmmm...interesting since your car does not seem to have rear struts, but rather shocks.

ANYWAY, about $180 for parts (plus tax) + 2.4 hours labor. Here in California, at $100 a hour shop time, figure $450 tops for good quality parts.
  • Hey,

New to the forums. Hope this is the right place to ask this question.

Was wondering how I could go about finding a compatible all-in-one radio (tape, cd, etc) for my Corolla? Is there a process behind it? Do I have to buy it from Toyota or can I get just any-old radio from Best Buy?

Here's why I ask: Ran a quick search late last night and most of the radios that popped up were really thin in height - does that matter? Will the installation shop I take it to fill the gap in my dashboard? As you can see in the below picture, the radio slot is pretty huge - I'm assuming they'd either have to remove the whole thing and put a thin radio in, or find a custom radio to fit that huge opening? Here's a link to the pic:

http://img142.imageshack.us/i/toyotacorollacdplayer.jpg/

Anyway, can you guys give me your opinions on what needs to be done? I'm slightly clueless when it comes to this stuff, so any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -A
  • Dealer ripoff! It's just a wallet flush service.
    LOL, well said !
  • When I depress the gas pedal hard in any gear, it feels like the engine has gone into neutral for a couple of seconds before the car actually moves. The tach goes from up from about 2000 to about 5000 rpms before it catches. What could be the problem? I have never had the clutch adjusted. The car has about 87000 miles of mostly city driving. Any ideas?
  • Definitely the clutch is slipping. If all city driving that is probably why.
  • About all you can do is adjust the free play in the clutch pedal, if there is any. If it's been slipping and you've been driving it like that, it's probably pretty fried by now even if you should get it to adjust a bit. Hydraulic clutch systems don't have much adjustment capabilities.
  • So, are you saying that the clutch needs to be replaced? If so, how much? I live in Boston proper.
  • Probably about 6 hours labor + a "clutch kit" (pressure plate, disc and throw out bearing and pilot bearing). If they have to remove the flywheel to resurface it, that's a little more time but not much.

Here's a sampleCLUTCH KIT on the internet, but you'll probably be charged more due to mark-up at the repair shop.

Looks like a $750--$900 job, something like that.