Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• weilunweilun Posts: 2
    I have a Corolla 01 S. Lately I notice the car jerks when the gear shifts up or down. It happens even when I am on a flat road and the car accelerates slowly (the car is warm). I check the transmission fluid level and it is always between the low notch of the hot region and the high notch of the cold region, when the car is warm. When the car is cold (just started), the level is below the low notch of the cold. Is the lack of transmission fluid related to the jerk and should I add more fluid into the transmission?
  • Yesterday I got right rear side tire flat. One garage guy tried fixing it but could not. SO I guess I need to replace the tire. On my 99 Corolla car, these original tires have already done 22K Miles.

I need suggestion from you guys, on which Tire Make/Model should I choose. The size is 185/65R14.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    Michelin X-One. WE have them on our 1994 Corolla DX. Great tires. The OE ones for that car was the Michelin XGT4.
  • jl30jl30 Posts: 11
    There is no overdrive on the CE because it comes with a 3 speed auto transmission. LE and S comes with a 4 speed with overdrive.
  • This really isn't a big problem, but it's something I've been noticing for a while. On my '99 Corolla LE, if the air flow is left on "defrost" overnight, moisture will develop on the inside of the windshield right above the vents. Also, during the winter, if there is any more than one person in the car the windows and back window get fogged very quickly. Does anyone else have this problem? Turning on the defroster helps to some extent but if there's around three or four people in the car, that isn't enough. These problems probably aren't really a big deal, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
  • In my '95 corolla is the oxygen sensor still covered under the 80,000 mile warranty?--In the warranty manual they use the term EGR gas temperature sensor--is this the same part?
  • semezsemez Posts: 36
    Cant explain the loss of approx 1.5 quarts of oil
    Underside of car bone dry and It is not burning or leaking oil. Has anyone experienced this problem. Car has 55,000 miles never had a bit of trouble.. Could the last oil change shorted me on the amt of oil they put in. Someone told me that expect these engines to burn/loose oil after a certain number of miles. Any truth in this
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    it is possible your oil change guy didnt really fill up your oil. 55,000 miles is quite low for a corolla to be burning oil unless the car is abused quite often.

fill up your oil and check every 2-3 days and go from there. if you use your car daily and it is burning oil, your oil level will go down within a week. you may not see any blue smoke from your tailpipe but it doesnt mean you're not burning oil. so fill it up and check every few days
  • I have a "86" Tercel with the same problem. Has 91,000 miles on it but I always took good care of it and changed the oil every 3,000 miles. Now I find I do need to add oil often even though it is running like a clock and never looks like or smells like it is burning oil.
  • fantascpfantascp Posts: 175
    Hi everyone- i need some help for a friend of mine who owns a 96 Toyota Corolla LE- in trying to find out what could possibly be causing a rubbing/clanking noise under the front left wheel area- under the hood by the drivers side. this noise happened before and the dealership gave her first- new brakes and then a new differential.
    the noise disappeared, but about 9000 miles later the noise is back and much louder and it seems to come back in damp,wet weather more so than dry,sunny days. The dealership refuses to do anything further unless they actually hear the noise again which unfortunately is not constant.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Chuck.
  • farrizfarriz Posts: 10
    I would like to know if I could wash the engine and other parts under the hood of my 92 Corolla.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,588
    You need to be careful about washing an engine, as you don't want to be blowing things apart with too much pressure, or saturating certain accessories with water (like the alternator).

I much prefer using a brush and a light, easily evaporating solvent, and then brush again with soap and water. You have more control and it comes out real nice.

• britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    check out carcareonline.com - they have an article on how to wash your engine
  • I have a new Corolla LE, Automatic with 2500 miles on it. I am only getting 23.5 mpg city driving.
    My method of figuring mileage is to fill the tank ('til the pump stops) , clear the odometer, drive, then refill the tank and and see how many gallons it takes, check the odometer and do the math.
    I am not a heavy-footed driver. This is mainly comute driving on the Olympic corridor between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Any ideas?
  • britton2britton2 Posts: 305
    I've had my '01 LE (4 speed auto) for almost 1 year now - I get between 30-32 MPG in the city - I have even gotten more than that a couple of times - here's how I figure my mileage: when I stop for gas, I set one of my trip meters to "zero" - the next time I stop for gas, I fill up and let the pump stop automatically (I don't top it off) and then I divide the number of miles on the trip meter by the number of gallons it took to fill up - I also gently accelerate from a dead stop, such as at a red light - I keep my tires inflated to 32 PSI - I "coast" whenever I can - such as when I'm approaching a red light - check out fueleconomy.gov and click on the gas-saving tips for other suggestions - hope this helps
  • nhepker1nhepker1 Posts: 11
    I'm hoping that somebody here can help me. Just today when driving I tried to use the wipers on my 99 Corolla. When I turned them to Intermittent they ran at the low speed and when I turn them off they stop at that position rather than going all the way back down. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Is it something that I could fix myself or do I have to take it into the dealer?
  • jsleesijsleesi Posts: 33
    When I start the car in the morning, the engin chatters until engin warms up. The Chatter can last for about 5 miles or some times less.
    Can some one can give me some help?
    Changed oil every 3 k miles and taking good care of the car.
    I have not notice any power lose or gas mileage.

Need your help. Thanks

jsleesi
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    The new Toyota Corolla & Matrix Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owners Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in M & R.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• falis01falis01 Posts: 9
    I have an 02 Corolla LE and I have an annoying intermittent squeak coming from the steering column or dash above it. It is a high pitched squeak that is not of a normal car squeak nature. I have taken it to 2 separate dealers 4 times now. The first time, I had to ride with the technician to show him the squeak, but because it was late in the day, I made another appointment for him to fix it. When I brought it back the next week, it wasn't squeaking. I made another appointment with another dealer when it started again, but when I took it in it, it wasn't squeaking even though it was squeaking earlier in the day. Today I took it in for another appointment and of course by the time I got the dealer the squeak had subsided. I have made arrangements to take it to the dealer as soon as it starts squeaking instead of the appt run around, but was wondering if anyone had a similar problem and can recommend a solution that may have worked on their car at another dealership. Thanks in advance!!!
  • deagleddeagled Posts: 20
    Celica GT-S or Matrix XRS owners may know about this...

when rpm's are up around 6500, just after VVTL-i kicks in, I hear a strange noise. the noise is comming from the center console just under the shifter. Almost sounds like someone sucking on a straw. In other words it sounds like liquid being pushed through a hose or something.

Ideas?
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Posts: 96
    The sucking sound under your console is likely gas coming out of the tank at those revs :-)....I know I know, 100,000 comedians out of work and I am trying to be funny.
  • xr_matrixxr_matrix Posts: 96
    Would it be possible the ticking noise is your header plate cooling...have you heard this noise before on other vehicles? It is after you shut the engine off right? On a warm day when you run a car hard you will hear a lot of ticking...almost like a clock when you shut off the engine. When I am driving home and I am pushing the car a bit harder than normal, I will notice this ticking noise quite loud as I am turning of the lights to my garage...very normal, just metals cooling and nothing at all to worry about. With your car so new too I suspect it will have like a waxy odour as well...this is again a symptom of new metals cooling rapidly...just a thought.
  • deagleddeagled Posts: 20
    I hear this noise only when the car is running. I have heard what you are talking about, but that's not it. I appreciate your input though.
    Thanks.
  • gcboyd1gcboyd1 Posts: 11
    I've seen discussions about the '03 corolla's idling high (2,000 rpm) at startup, and I understand that it's to heat up the cat quicker for better emissions. My question regards idling after startup. While waiting at a stop, for example, tranny in drive, the engine seems to jump from about 600 to 1,000, then back down to 600. Anyone else notice this quirk? I'm thinking it's worth a trip to the dealer to check the idle control.
  • This isn't happening in my Matrix. Sounds worth having checked.
  • dmendeldmendel Posts: 16
    I have a 99 LE with 32,500 miles. I was hearing some noise in the front end when making a sharp left turn. I have noticed this for the past couple of months, maybe longer, so had it checked out when getting the oil changed. I was told that I need to replace both front tire rod ends. Sadly, my warranty expired in October, so it is not covered. My question: What could have caused this problem? I have never missed a service on this car -- it is well maintained, and, as you can see by the mileage, not driven very much. Is this something that should have been noticed at my 30,000 service (in August)? Many thanks. (Feel free to email me off the board as well: dmendel@alum.mit.edu)
  • We just picked up our 03 black Corolla CE yesterday. Test drive was smooth and no rattle/noise etc. Unfortunately we noticed few minor clearcoat scatches on each fender (probably wouldn't have been noticeable if it wasn't for the black colour). The sales rep. drove us to the detailer that prep'd the car to fix the scratches. After over half an hour of buffing and waxing they removed the scratches completely and both fenders appeared perfect.

My concern is if all that buffing had compromised the durability of the factory clearcoat treatment. Should I be worried? I would really appreciate it if anyone can offer any suggestion/advice.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Write to Corolland.com. You may not have a problem, just replace the tires with good ones.
  • I have a 1994 Corolla with the 1.6 and the 3 Speed Auto. transmission. I have a whining noise that my mechanic says is originating from the differential. The noise only started a few weeks ago and only becomes apparent when you are accelerating (no matter if its very light or heavy acceleration) .And in the last few days I've also noticed that the car seems to torque steer alot more, especially at wot. Also in the last few days, the car has been shaking on the highway, i can feel it thru the steering wheel and and also a little thru the shifter. It only becomes apparent at about 50mph up to 110mph.
  • But more with the dealerships. How is it that I know more about this car than the guys selling it? That shouldn't happen. So far I've been told a couple of pretty blatent lies from other dealers but I put those down to simple scams to get more money. The first was a salesslime that told me that the car they had was 180hp. It wasn't, it was 130hp. That might have worked if I hadn't researched the car and didn't look closely at the sticker. Then another dealership tried to change the MSRP on the Nav system option. When I challenged them on it the slime said he'd throw in power windows. Power windows are standard on the model I'm getting. By the way in case I haven't mentioned it the car is a Matrix XRS.

Well, today I go to a dealer that has an XRS with the Nav system just to see how it works. The dealer is about a 1.5 hours away. Saleslime comes out and opens the car up. I sit in the passenger seat while he starts it up and punches random buttons complaining that the service guys had "locked" the system. It didn't look like it was asking for a password or code to me. Finally he magically gets it "unlocked" and tries to bring up the map functions. Problem is that he doesn't have the map DVD in the drive so the Nav system just says something like "please insert map disc". He says that it hasn't been "programmed" yet. No, the disc isn't in there moron. So he plays around with the radio some. Then he says that "these 6 speeds are hard to get". I was just going to let the guy go until that. The 6 speed is STANDARD on the XRS. It might be ok to say that an XRS is hard to get but not the manual. So I decided to embaress the guy. I asked him where you put the CDs for the CD changer. It's a trick question if you don't know about the Nav system. On most Toyotas the CD changer is in the dash. But with the Nav system there's no room so the changer is under the passenger seat. This jerk pointed to the slot on the dash where the nav DVD disc goes. So I told him he was wrong and why he was wrong, but I didn't tell him where it was. He gets out of the car, goes to the back and opens the hatch and starts looking around. Then I say "Oh, here it is under the passenger seat". So then I remind him of what he said about the manual being hard to get. I ask him what it comes in standard. He says "Um, uh, automatic". BZZZZZ, oh, I'm sorry that's the wrong answer.

Now here's what I can't get. It's this guy's JOB to sell Toyota's, why doesn't he know about this Toyota. Particularly when the company is running as many ADs as they are. Do they think no one's going to be interested? Or do they think people are only going to care about the color? My job is writing code. I KNOW how to program a computer. Why has NO dealer, INCLUDING the one I've order from, known as much or more than I do about this car?