Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    My guess is that you are overly concerned. If the manual said that you need to drive the car several times before the sensor correct itself, then the sensor is probably not meant to be off right after you tighten the cap. I will just drive it like normal from now on, but keep an eye out for the check engine light and keep an ear on the engine noise. Just precautions I would take, but most probably it was just the cap. If there is something seriously wrong with the engine, you will probably hear it, and the check engine light will come back on very soon. If you don't see any of that happening again within a week, I think you are home free. :)

I can understand how you might be very concerned about your new car. I was that way too when I first got my 99 Corolla LE. I was scared to death when I heard a clicking noise coming from the engine shortly after I got the car. I am actually the person who started this subject. (Check out my name on the first first post). Anyway, that "clicking noise" turn out just to be engine cooling in the cold winter air. Very normal to every car. But I thought I heard what I thought was a rattle coming from the window/door everytime I go over rough pavement. Well, it turned out, to my embarassment, to be overly loose wrist watch chain shaking. DOH! It's all understandable that we all lean towards the side of caution when we just paid $15K for our new car. Keep an eye out for any signs of problems, but relax a bit as well. The corolla is a good and powerful little car, have fun with it. :)
  • Well, I just brought my Corolla 00 for about 2 months. I mostly drove local, since then I heard the noise as I accelerated and to be honest, i dont know when it started to make that noise cause I used to listen to the music as i drives, so is that normal or my car engine had the problems....
  • Thank you for the information about the tie rods. I will have them checked when I take the car for service this month. I did check the air pressure in my tires and found the right front tire to be a couple of pounds lower (This was on Saturday). I adjusted the air pressure and I have not heard the noise since, but I will be on the lookout. I expect a lot from a new car (call me obsessive?). I agree with you Severns, I do tend to lean towards the side of caution when paying over 15K for a new car. I am over 17K miles now and I got the car in January 99. I will keep everyone posted on how things turn out. Thank you.
  • Thank you for the information about the tie rods. I will have them checked when I take the car for service this month. I did check the air pressure in my tires and found the right front tire to be a couple of pounds lower (This was on Saturday). I adjusted the air pressure and I have not heard the noise since, but I will be on the lookout. I expect a lot from a new car (call me obsessive?). I agree with you Wenyue, I do tend to lean towards the side of caution when paying over 15K for a new car. I am over 17K miles now and I got the car in January 99. I will keep everyone posted on how things turn out. Thank you.
  • pat455pat455 Posts: 603
    Just wanted to let you know...

If you make a post that you are not happy with, you can click on the post number - it will be highlighted as a link for the poster only. This will give you the ability to "scribble" (i.e., delete) it. Then you can repost it the way you wanted it in the first place.

Tip: You have two chances to copy what you have already written, so that you can paste it into a new post and edit it. When you are on the hide or scribble screen, you can select all the text and copy it, or you can do that after you've chosen scribble and are returned to the topic page. After scribbling and leaving the topic page, you will no longer see your post.

Hope this helps...

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • How do I know if my tires are properly inflated? My front tires were spinning out often (accel from stop) last week when the ground was wet every morning. I checked the tire pressure and got a reading of 33psi. I put more air in (38psi) and it seemed to have corrected the slipping. But what is the sufficient amount? Is there a rule of thumb?
    Your manual or paperwork that came with the tires should tell you, don't they?

By the way, there are several topics on tires in this conference. Why not use the Search feature to the left and look for them? You can read through the postings and see if you come up with something that will help you.

Pat
    My LE comes with GoodYear Integrety tires. The manufacturer's pressure spec is 30 psi. I ususally keep it at 32-34 (since I don't like to inflate tires more than once every 2 months). If you have the same tire, and I personally 38 psi is little too much.

The trick is to make sure the tire pressure is measured when the tire is COLD (before driving) Gas expand significantly as temperture increases. And tire pressure can different by over 10 psi between hot and cold, so a hot tire with 33 psi might actually be under-inflated. :) Double check after your car has parked for few hours.
  • Bjonesy, it sounds like you work for maybe one of Toyota's competitors perhaps? I don't know, just a wild guess. You probably work at Nissan or Mitsubishi or maybe even Hyundai!!! You seem to know a little too much about the auto industry for being just an ordinary complaining customer.
    I think bjonesy was refering to one of my post a while back. Let me say that I'm not a toyota employee, and my post was not meant to be an ad. I was sincerly happy about how well my bumper held up, and wanted to share with someone. In fact, I'm the one who started this "Toyota corolla trouble" topic because I was worried about a ticking noise. I work in Ann Arbor, Michigan, as an organic chemist for Parke-Davis pharmaceutical research, and I have nothing to do with Toyota corp. I know that bjonesy probably had a problem with his corolla, but dishing that anger out on someone who has had better fortune with his Toyota and accusing him for being a Toyota employee posting phoney ads is totally unwarranted.
  • I apologize for going overboard. I am still upset about what is going on in my case with Toyota. They have admitted they have a problem, implied they are not sure they have found the solution, yet still don't care. They say they will fix the problem, (for the fifth time now), yet don't understand the concern I have for my children's safety. How many times should I give them to fix something? I shouldn't have taken out my anger on you. I am going to court sometime next year and based on all the people I have discussed this with, should win. I have notified my local and state senators, I have contacted consumer advocacy groups and have talked with numerous other people. As for knowing too much about the industry, sadly this problem has given me a crash course in it. Toyota has chosen to make this last a year before we settle it, so I am angry and I lashed out. My goal now is simple, get my money back for my car, give my car back, warn people how I was treated, and hopefully force a recall on the seatbelts. The problem I am experiencing is the second most complained about problem for the 1997 Toyota Corolla. The first, airbags, has already been recalled and there were only a couple more complaints.(www.nhtsa.com) Again I am sorry for my accusation.
    Thank You,
    Bryan
  • I apologize for going overboard. I am still upset about what is going on in my case with Toyota. They have admitted they have a problem, implied they are not sure they have found the solution, yet still don't care. They say they will fix the problem, (for the fifth time now), yet don't understand the concern I have for my children's safety. How many times should I give them to fix something? I shouldn't have taken out my anger on you. I am going to court sometime next year and based on all the people I have discussed this with, should win. I have notified my local and state senators, I have contacted consumer advocacy groups and have talked with numerous other people. As for knowing too much about the industry, sadly this problem has given me a crash course in it. Toyota has chosen to make this last a year before we settle it, so I am angry and I lashed out. My goal now is simple, get my money back for my car, give my car back, warn people how I was treated, and hopefully force a recall on the seatbelts. The problem I am experiencing is the second most complained about problem for the 1997 Toyota Corolla. The first, airbags, has already been recalled and there were only a couple more complaints.(www.nhtsa.com) Again I am sorry for my accusation.
    Thank You,
    Bryan
  • ant1ant1 Posts: 4
    does wenyue know if the 0-60 of 8.4 seconds correct as listed on the edmunds site, and will they update the horsepower for the 2000 models to 125.
    It's most probably correct. I have an automatic, and I know that it's offical (from Toyota) 0-60 time is 10.4 seconds in 1999. With the extra horse power in the 2000 corolla VVT-i engine, I would expect an automatic to do it in 10.3 seconds.

I don't know the offical 5-spd 0-60 time from Toyota, but typicall a 5-spd manual is about 2 seconds faster than an automatic. So 8.3-8.4 seconds 0-60 time for a 5-spd corolla would be most likly correct.
    Also, 0-60 time from the manufacturers tend to be on the conservative side. I think they don't push their car beyond the design specifications. That's probably why 0-60 time from car magazines tend to be lower than what's published by the manufacturer.

For example, I got the 0-60 time for automatics from one of the car buying guides in Barns and Noble. It stated, and I remember, "While Toyota said corolla with automatic transmission could achieve 0-60 in 10.4 seconds, we clocked one LE do it in 9.7 seconds...". It's one of those Consumer Report type buying guide, the size of a TV guide, and I think it was the 1999 edition. YOu can probably find it in a bookstore.

There are always safty margins that technitians design into their cars, but I think pushing into it will end up costing big in the long run. :)
  • I just put in a Car Alarm in my car. I disconnected a lot of things to install it but put everything back. But now I get a check engine light! What did I do??? :(

Also does anyone with the Factory Alarm can tell me where the Security Light is on the Display? I want to use it but can not find it. I think maybe they use a different panel for cars with out the alarm.

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    To install the alarm, you probably had to cut a few wires, and other things. That's complicated stuff. Wow, you managed to do it yourself. Don't know what's wrong. Maybe their is a bad or loose connection in there. Or maybe just the car senses that it got disconnected for a while. I think a dealer mechanic probably will have an idea.

Anyway, the security light for the factory alarm (RS300) is located in the center of the car. Just in front of the center console and hand brake. It's a small rectangular piece with 2 lights, and a small microphone for glass brake detection.

Good luck. :)
  • I was looking in the wrong place. I thought it was in the Display Panel. The same place where the other warning lights and the speedometer are. I wasted two hours looking for it. I was hoping it was in there and I would just hook my car alarm wires to it.

I took my car to Toyota and they gave me a car to drive for free. It turns out it is NOT my fault! :) It was a fuel injector! That is the reason I had knocking I told you about they said and poor idle the whole time since the car was new. They had to order the part and I should get it back friday just in time for my trip to Califonia where I will visit the NUMMI plant and see my car built! :) I hope they let me take pictures!
    Wow, seems like you are all set again. :) Hum, so it seems like the Toyota and your dealership treated you all right.

So, ah a fuel injector. That doesn't cost too much, mostly the labor I should think. Besides, they are doing it under warranty. I wonder if that's the same cause for many of the people's complaint in this forum. Maybe there was a shipment of defective fuel injectors... Plausable.

So which brand of alarm did you got? And would it fit in where the factory alarm display goes? I bought an aftermarket alarm system (Black Widow brand) for my wife's 96 Mazda Protege. Took one look at the instruction manual and chickened out. It looked way too complicated for me. Luckly Best Buy were doing free installation with every car security unit sold, so just took it in and they fixed me up in 2 hours. Ah, but I digress...

Well, have fun in sunny california. Here in Michigan, I'm freezing my butt off every mornging going to work... :<
  • Bought a CE 2000 two weeks ago, and the "check engine" signal turned on too! I brought the car back to the dealer who just reset it but the engine light came back today. I will take it back tomorrow for a more thorough inspection. For information, the sticker says that the vehicle was built in Fremont, CA.
    Check the fuel cap. One of the common reason why check engine light comes on is if the fuel cap is not tight enough. But an thorugh inspection by the mechanic is always a good idea.
  • Guys,

Today while reading the topics, I found some more persons having problems with the 1999 toyota. I think its a better idea to go to the site which "bjonesy" suggested http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and post all the problems out there. Because TOYOTA is not going to help us and that's why we need to get help from some other place. I hope NHTSA will be able to help us.

Thanks.
  • Hi Everyone:

My wife drives a'97 Corolla and we just moved to Colorado where you have to have a front plate.

Unfortunately, and maybe I'm being completely stupid, I can't find any bosses to mount the damn plate! I looked everywhere! My Acura GS-R was much more agreeable... :-) Any thoughts, rants, hints, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Just drill holes in the bumper's plastic molding and screw some self-tapping screws. It seems strong enough to hold a license plate. That's what the dealership did to my Corolla.
  • When I saw the post entitled "Toyota Corolla Trouble" I just had to check it out, since our 1990 Corolla has been an amazing car. As of today, it has 146,000 miles and the only repair it has needed (besides routine things like brake pads, etc.) is a starter at 100,000 miles. The clutch is still going strong and I thought for sure the car would become troublesome when my teenager daughter started driving it because she's tough on this car. But no, she can't kill it either! I promise you, I have no connection with Toyota and have no alterior motives. I am just so happy with this car, unlike my current car, which is an American brand and not so great.
  • mano2mano2 Posts: 9
    1998 Toyota Corolla with manual transmission - had transmission cover, throw out bearing, flywheel and disc replaced not too long ago (after only 22000 miles!). Since the repair it is kind of hard to shift first, second and third gear. Went back to dealer for adjustment under warranty but dealer said (without taking a look) that it cannot be adjusted. Is it possible or they just wanted to brush me off? True, I went back to a different dealer, not to the one who did the transmission warranty job.
    -----
    Also, the engine started to have a kind of hissing noise. At first I thought it was due to being cold. I heard this kind of noise in someone else's car (not a Toyota), but that same kind of noise had a good reason: the owner of the car did not accelerate adequately before shifting gear, so the engine started to rattle and hiss a bit.
    Should I get a tune-up? I never had a fuel injected car before, so I do not know how much a tune-up can help. Oh yes, and I have a question about tune-ups. Is not it enough to replace the spark plugs? Does something need to be adjusted? I do not want to pay $30-40 for a tune-up if all they do is replace the spark plugs and "inspect" hoses, connectors. I had a GEO Spectrum before, but throughout its 120 000 mile life with me it never had a "real" tune-up. I just kept replacing the spark plugs every now and then.
    Thanks for the help!
  • johnyoojohnyoo Posts: 18
    Hi,
    My girlfriend has a 99 Corolla with about 10,000 miles and every single one of her windows makes a creaking sound as it goes down. One window has actually stopped making the sound but the other three windows persist. Has anyone had this problem and if so have you come up with a solution? Thanks
  • Well I finally bought a new corolla. I missed my old friend. I had a new 92 corolla that worked like a champ. I got rid of it after a rear-end and thought it a good time to buy American, wrong. I hated the next car and went back to toyota for a truck. I had more problems with that truck than anything (2 trannys in under 2 years). I went back looking for my old friend and there he was better than ever. I bought an LE only because it was the only manual on the lot, and it was cheaper than an auto CE (Best deal in town if you ask me). The new corolla continues to suprise me. It is smooth through the gears even with less than a hundred miles and takes a downshift at high speeds very well. And now it has 4-wheel independent suspension! Man for under 16 this is a steal. And it is so quiet. I had wanted a Saturn but once I found out about the CE/LE suspension I was hooked!

Enough about the excitement I have a couple of questions. I read a post that the Corolla plant is in Cali. My sticker reads that the port/plant is Buffalo, New York. Is this another plant, or a port? And does anyone know where they come from? Do they make American Corolla's in Japan? Or are they shipped from CA on a boat? The sticker also mentions on/off headlights? Is this light sensitive and how do they work? I can not really figure out when the running lights come on in the manual? Is it speed sensitive? I know in the auto the daytime running lamps come on once in gear.
    Have you looked at Toyota Corolla over in our Sedans conference? That's probably the best place in Town Hall to find other recent purchasers of this vehicle.

Pat
  • nick29nick29 Posts: 19
    If you look at your vin# and the first # is 1 it is manufactured in cali by GM.If the first # is a 2 it is manufactured BY Toyota in Cambridge Ontario Canada.