Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• LuzerLuzer Posts: 118
    I thought about this again - such a geek...

All physical parameters will be reflected in the RPM, wind, wheel other friction type forces.

So in the highway range of 55 to 75, you should experience the best mileage around the range where the engine and gearing is best tuned for.
  • hhomerhhomer Posts: 15
    I hate to add to the technicalities, but my Matrix resides at 3400 RPM at 75 mph. Am I the only one with such High RPMs?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    celica engine in the XRS is supposed to rev pretty high - it keeps it in its powerband better. So 3400 rpm @ 75 mph sounds about right.

Luzer: at highway speeds, it is not only the engine and gearing match-up, but also the aerodynamics of the particular vehicle that dictate A LOT what the curve of decreasing fuel efficiency will be as the speed increases.

As a general trend, a car that has no problem going 140 mph will have lower fuel economy throughout its powerband, but it will drop very slowly as highway speeds increase.

A car that is pushing it just to get to 80-90 mph probably gets much better mileage at lower speeds, but it begins to drop pretty dramatically as soon as you get over 55 mph.

That is JUST A TREND, not a hard-and-fast rule.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• My "01" Corolla squeals for about a minute when I turn the steering wheel when starting on a cold winter morning. I did look at the belts that I could find and they all seem to be tight enough. Any suggestions. It still is under warranty.
    I got my paperwork back for the new relay assembly for the twilight sensor. The part # is the same as posted above: #82810-02033. I guess this is a relay better calibrated to its location on the dash in the Matrix.

More importantly, it notes on the paperwork that "service bulletin EL007-02/replace relay" was performed.

So I guess this is the number of the TSB for this twilight sensor problem.

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    One of the belts is slipping, probably because there may be a little oil on it. If you want to avoid a trip to the dealer, try taking a cake of soap, and VERY CAREFULLY [to avoid injury] put the soap cake up against each edge of the belt[s] with the engine running. This may solve the problem. Can't emphasize enough that this takes care to avoid hurting yourself - if you have doubts, take it to a dealer and let them handle it.
    the '01 have a serpentine belt?

• lefttrunlefttrun Posts: 8
    Today I went to have an oil change for my 00' Corolla CE. The mechanic checked prior to the
    service and noted that engine oil was half a quarter low. Last time I changed oil was almost
    6 months ago ( I drove little, less than 3000 miles in these 6 months).

My question is, was that missing half quarter oil an indication of some engine problem, or was
    it simply because the engine was still hot? Thanks for any help on this.
    your mechanic didn't check it the instant you shut it down - he/she should know better. Otherwise, it just means your engine is consuming a little oil now, and to extrapoltae the numbers you have provided, it is using a quart of oil every 6000 miles, which is no big deal. It would probably be a good idea to start checking the oil level every once in a while, just to keep an eye on oil loss.

Also check under your car and see if a regular old leak has developed, making an oily patch on the ground where you park.

• LuzerLuzer Posts: 118
    Maybe it was always low.

Check it yourself once it's changed and note the level. Check it periodically.

IMO, you should not have lost 1/2 quart oil in your scenario.
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    Corolla have a "timing chain" or " timimg belt"? Please advise. Thank you!
  • alkoalko Posts: 13
    I just bought a new 2003 LE. It runs good.
    2 problems though -

1) an annoying loud click coming somewhere from glove compartment area every time I switch head lights on/off

2) sun visor on driver side, when lowered, touches back view mirror. I can not beleive it.

Does anyone else noticed 1 and 2 above? I can live with 1 (though it's kind of unexpected from brand new toyota) but 2 is absolutely crazy...
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    1 It's the sound of the relay which controls the headlights, get used to it.

2 Is your rear view mirror misplaced on the windshield? Does it touch the passenger's sun visor too?
  • fgf001fgf001 Posts: 98
    Look a little closer....the mirror has TWO swivel points and can be easily moved to the right and readjusted so the visor misses it. The click you are hearing is a relay (it should NOT be heard, we own two '03's and neither makes the noise) and may need to be replaced under warranty. If you find your headlights come on by themselves when it turns cold (car off) there is a TSB from Toyota to repair this. They replaced the DRL relay and the entire turn signal/light stalk on mine. I won't know if it's repaired until another cold snap wanders in.....IF it does, I'm in Texas.
  • terceltom1terceltom1 Posts: 150
    Cocerning my posting #847 about the slight and very short termed belt squeal upon cold starts when turning steering wheel slightly. Turns out that the dealer told me Toyota actually has a bulletin out to replace the belt and belt tensioner and possibly the power steering pump (if it is needed), to take care of this problem. All of course are covered under the warranty should it still be in effect, as my Corolla is. This is very suprising to me as this noise is so very slight and short termed that I was not even going to take it in if it weren't for the fact that the warranty is shortly coming to an end on my vehicle. I thought maybe I could avoid an expense down the road after the warranty expired should it actually get worse. Now I guess I'm glad I did. This is the very first problem I had with this car in 2 1/2 years.
    ...has a chain. The new engine was part of the switch to the body that was introduced in the '98 model year. The engine in the new-gen ['03] car is a small upgrade on the same basic design that is in your car.
  • autonutsautonuts Posts: 138
    Thanks for the info on the timimg chain/belt. I thought it had a chain but wasn't exactly sure. I'm not the owner of the car but the owner is a woman friend of mine who was told by Toyota service dept. that it had a timing belt. Thanks again!
  • greetings fellow Corolla owners -

I have had my 2001 LE for almost 2 yrs now and I'm happy to report NO PROBLEMS whatsoever - today I filled up and was pleased to find out that I got 32.7 mpg on my last tank of gas - this is all city driving and I have the 4-speed auto tranny - I love my car and do not regret my decision to purchase it at all! I have to confess that I love the new styling of the 2003, but my car has been flawless so far so I really cannot complain about that -
  • sonny18sonny18 Posts: 5
    I love my new corolla -s. The only thing about it is the steering wheel is too far away from you with the seat back. Because the pedals are so close, you have to move the seat back to get some leg room. That moves you too far away from the steering wheel, making you have to reach for the top of it when needed. Does anyone have a solution that they have found to this problem?
    4 runner has a telescoping wheel, I wonder if they are interchangeable?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    My '99 LE is perfect, zero problems, 36 mph highway winter, 39 mpg highway summer, 5 speed manual. These Corollas are great - just be sure to take care of them and use only Toyota parts, and they will reward you with a LONG, trouble-free life!
  • jojo02jojo02 Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Corolla S that I purchased in July 2002. Lately I have been noticing a difference in the volume of the radio versus the cd player. I dont know if its always been like this, but it is definently discernable now. When on the same volume setting, the cd player is louder than the radio. It's pretty annoying because everytime I switch from CD to radio I have to adjust the volume.

Anyone else notice this or know what might be causing it?
  • I have a 1997 toyota corolla DX with a power sunroof, but it's not working. The fuse is good since it's on the power window fuse, and the switch seems to be fine(continuity checked) so this kinda narrows down to the relay or the motor, motor seems the unlikely culprit so I'm trying to see if the relay is the problem, but I'm having trouble locating the sunroof control relay, does anyone know where it is, or know where I can find out(for free?)? also anyone know how I can verify the motorl works? can I just hook up a 12 volt DC source?
    that 4Runner and corolla steering wheels are interchangeable! You will either have to live with it or trade up for a car with a telescoping wheel.

the diff between sound levels radio vs CD is simply the signal level of the CD. Some CDs are recorded louder than others, some faint faraway staions on the radio will consequently sound quieter.

• sonny18sonny18 Posts: 5
    i hope that enough people have the same problem with the steering wheel being too far away from them, that maybe toyota will come up with some type of "spacer" or something that will allow the wheel to be moved back maybe 3 inches.
    the engineer who desinged the pedel and wheel placement must have been built like a monkey- short legs and long arms!
  • jeff_l1jeff_l1 Posts: 5
    has anyone installed an alarm in their '03 Corolla, OEM or aftermarket? Please see Msg #326 about my problem with aftermarket alarm. Does your alarm's remote work like the factory remote? Is there such thing as OEM alarm, and why I didn't get it here in NY?
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    i have an aftermarket system in my 03 corolla. yes, alarms can be programmed to work like the OEM alarm or OEM keyless entry. be reminded though that some cheap alarm systems have limited functions. if your alarm is a decent unit or a high end unit then it should be able to function like the OEM. read your alarm manual and it'll tell you how to operate and program it properly. different alarms have different ways of programming. you didnt mention how many buttons does your remote have. nowadays, remotes have at least 3 buttons. you can program the alarm so button #1 opens driver door and button #2 opens all doors and button #3 pops open the trunk, etc. if you have 2 or more button remote, check to see if you can program your alarm to use the other button to open all doors instead of pressing the same button twice.

yes there is a toyota OEM alarm system. for canadian models, OEM system cost over C$600. the aftermarket i chose cost me C$280 taxes included! it can do everything the OEM system can do!
  • jeff_l1jeff_l1 Posts: 5
    my dealer installed a 'Checkmate' alarm when i bought my Corolla. i have no idea how good it is, but the remote has 3 buttons, lock, unlock and option. i'll try to do what jeprox suggested. since the trunk cannot be open by remote anyway, i'll find out if the option button can be programmed to unlock all doors instead.
    ...got to do with the subject at hand? I trust our host from Edmunds will take care of this soon...