Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Can anyone help, i have a 2001 Toyota Corolla and want to know how to fit rear speakers. I have located wires either side near where the speakers should be fitted but these appear to be dead. Any ideas?
  • tireirontireiron Posts: 3
    How do these wires appear to be dead? Are they the factory wires? Is there a factory head unit in the car? If there is an aftermarket head unit, they may have run new wires. Give us some more info if you can.
  • mallan1mallan1 Posts: 3
    The wires appear to be factory fitted as they come out of the wiring loom and stop just short of where the rear speakers should be fitted. The wires have a black rectangular shaped plug attatched. I am unsure as to whether they are connected to the rear of the radio as i do not know the proceedure for taking the built in radio out as this is obviously factory fitted as well.
  • I have an 98 Corolla with about 104000 kms on it - just recently hearing a knocking noise that appears to come from the left rear of the car - only happens on bumpy roads and there is a lot around here what with the snow and ice were experiencing - imagenyone have or had a similar problem, Cannyscot
  • my rear tires start to howl at 40 mph and gets louder the faster I go, I have the goodyear integrety tires that came with my 2004 corolla, went to a tire shop and they said my tires are coupling and that I should change them to eliminate the noise, any one else have this problem or is road noise just an issue with this car? didn't have this problem before. I don't want to change my tires cause to me they still look good,lots of tread and good wear since I rotate them regularly and align as well. my car just turned 20k miles.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    Plausible, but I think the term is "cupping" not coupling...Cupping will do this => i had a set of continentals on a VW Jetta that did this and made major amounts of noise. I don't remember what caused the cupping in the first place it was so long ago, but I don't think I had alignment or suspension issues. I think it was poorly balanced tires to be honest... and my tires probably did a bit of bouncing as a result. I think you might want to research that more.

There may be a tire warranty that came with the car that you can leverage here.
  • sharlenesharlene Posts: 1
    Interesting to read your posting. I have a 01 Corolla LE that is making a clicking noise when I turn corners as well. It just started making this noise a few days ago and I am a bit concerned about saftey etc. I had mine checked this past weekend and the auto dealer told me it may be my power steering pump that needs to be replaced and/or my tension belt. My power steering fluid was fine. Did you ever get it fixed? If so, what did they fix and how much? I live in the CA, so not sure if the cost varies from state to state.
  • Hey, thanks for the help, turns my right rear bearing was shot, changed it for $279 plus $50 labor. it's an expensive part because the hub and bearing are attached, you can't just take out the bearing and repack a new one. thanks again
    cool. yeah, when i researched the topic, a bearing problem was mentioned in a few web page hits.
  • tireirontireiron Posts: 3
    I would purchase a repair manual for your car. It will tell you how to do just about any repair for your car. I bought my repair guide from autozone for about 18 bucks. It has helped greatly with numerous fixes i have used. This should tell you how to remove your speakers and factory head unit.
  • mallan1mallan1 Posts: 3
    We have been unable to locate a manual for this model.
  • twinkietwinkie Posts: 1
    I want to change a light bulb in a 1994 Toyota Corolla DX. The bulb is behind the radio, heater and A/C cover panel. I don't know how to get that panel off. There are two screws on the underside but those seem to hold something below the panel for the controls. I went to the library and pulled a Chilton's book but that book covers a lot of model years and there really is no good explanation on how to remove the panel.

Help!

Thanks.

:confuse:
  • cmatt2cmatt2 Posts: 17
    I have a 1996 corolla -83,000 miles.The car drove just fine.Next day i went to start it-nothing.I checked the battery it was ok.Just to be sure I installed a new battery-samething.I don't know where to start checking-starter,wires,engine computer etc.I'm hoping that maybe there is a common solution for this problem-I hate to take it into a shop without some idea of what it could be.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    does it crank?
  • dreyfusdreyfus Posts: 24
    My 2 month old Corolla's cloth seats attract lint like no other car I've ever seen. The tan fabric is now covered in dark lint just from normal use and looks awful - especially the center arm rest. None of my other Toyotas with fabric seats have this problem.

I can clean it up with a lint roller, but the problem reappears within a few days.

Would a ScotchGuard-like aftermarket treatment help this? What's the deal?
    No,the car will not crank.When the key is turned nothing happens.It's like the battery is completely dead.Battery has been replaced,so i know that's not the problem.
  • The contacts on the starter may be worn. The dealer can check this out and replace just the contacts. Elsewhere they will replace the entire starter.
    The car is completely dead-no lights,no radio etc.Would a bad starter cause this?
  • Hi. I bought a 2005 Corolla that came without an owner's manual and am curious about the little red security light on my dashboard that blinks when my car is parked. Any ideas?
  • calvinycalviny Posts: 13
    The weather is getting warm now; but, I still get 2000rpm at the start & it takes quite a while to drop to 15000rpm , then 1000rpm... it is not correct...

I am anticipate that the cold choke is something wrong..Should I check the airflow meter??? or any others suggestion

Please help...
    i don't think it would. however, a bad ignition switch? hmmm.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Starter wouldn't cause that problem. However, a dead battery or defective alternator would (both may be finished). If not you may be looking at a severe electrical problem. Good luck.
  • jeff43jeff43 Posts: 14
    Hey,
    my grandmother has a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE, and I have pretty much set everything up for her on that car. The lights turning on 5-10 seconds later is normal on her car, and she has had absolutely no problems, so don't worry about it!
  • jeff43jeff43 Posts: 14
    Hey,
    Maybe the overdrive button on the side of the shifter(if you have automatic transmisson), is pressed.
    Thanks very much for responding to my problem.I've not had a chance to mess with it further-but here is what i'm thinking.
    Since, when i turn the key on I get no power anywhere(and i know there is power in the battery and the battery post connections are good)it must be the ignition switch or a fuse somewhere.BUT- even with the switch off the lights should come on -right?i don't know.I looked for a fuse or fusible link coming from the positive side of the battery,but could not see any due to cables location.
    I hate to just take it into a shop not having a clue.The other possibility that comes to mind is a defective engine computer -could that cause the wholev electrical system to shut down?Any help is really appreciated.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Your car is fine - operating as designed. Most new cars do this.
  • rollaboyrollaboy Posts: 11
    From what I heard, the catalytic converter needs to warm up quickly for it to function optimally. So the ECU keeps the engine revving high for a few minutes to get more exhaust gases through to heat it up. Dunno how accurate this is.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    This is correct, and it is an environmental issue. The quicker the catalytic converter gets up to temperature, the less the car pollutes.
  • pondladypondlady Posts: 1
    I've just purchased a 2006 Toyota Corolla CE and am having terrible reflections at night on the windshield. It is impossible on the freeways. When it is raining the windshield shows a cloudiness in patches all over the windshield. It is not from the wax of a car wash for it was there when I first got the car. I get red taillights that make long red lines of light and oncoming headlights make long slanting lines and the throughway overhead lights have long slanted lights and all are reflecting at once through the windshield. Is it just defective glass?
  • rollaboyrollaboy Posts: 11
    I'm posting this again, hopefully someone will offer help! :)
    Sometimes when I start the engine up and shift to reverse (5spd), the tranny growls (not a good sound).. also, when the car is rolling backwards down a driveway for instance, I don't dare shift to reverse cus the tranny doesn't like that AT ALL!
    Does this happen to anyone else? Is this standard for a manual transmission? I need to know if I should get it checked out at the dealership.. Thanks!