Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tyreltyrel Posts: 1
    My girlfriend has a 90 corolla, and lately it has been making a very loud, high-pitched squeel while stopped in gear (at a traffic light for example) the noise appears to be coming from the passengers side of the engine bay. Near the area the sound is coming from are a vaccum (control?) unit and a speed actuator (im guessing for cruise control) I looked to see if a vaccum hose was lose, but couldnt find any, and I've never heard a vaccum leak that loud. I was hoping perhaps someone here has had a similar experience and might be able to point me in the right direction to fix it. It only happens in gear, while the car is stopped for a peroid of time. It does not make noise while slowing down, however, once the brake is released, the noise stops.

Thanks to anyone with input!!

Tyrel
  • wydrivewydrive Posts: 8
    My 05' Corolla LE has been having a very similar problem like yours, Kavikas. I brought in for service at the dealer last October. They recalibrated the ECM engine per TSB. My car seemed to have less starting issues. However, since I live in the midwest. My car starts better during the winter. I know it sounds strange. Now the cold is over, so I am expecting to experience more of that starting problem again in the near future. Please advise if anyone has this starting issues. Greatly appreciated. Please also visit message# 2210.
  • tandy_13tandy_13 Posts: 43
    Hi all.
    I have a question about my 99 Corolla CE. Its been running fine till now, all scheduled maintenance and regular oil changes. Nary a problem.
    Has 48000 miles on it.
    Yesterday the check engine light came on, the one about engine transmission and electrical system. Everything seemed to be fine, all the lights were one and the car was running fine.
    I checked the manual and checked the gas cap, and lo and behold the rubber was out of alignment. I fixed it but the light stayed on. I took it to the local mechanic and he actually fixed the gas cap. However he said the light stays on and has be reset.
    For that the OBD has be run and I got a couple of quotes (from the dealer, autozone, strauss auto) and they all quoted around $85.
    Would I really have to shell out that much for a gas cap?
    Any remarks,
    PT.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    If it is the gas cap triggering the check engine light, it will eventually reset itself if the gas cap is okay now. I think I have read that it takes something like 20 on/offs.

You can also disconnect the battery for a while and this will reset it.

Autozone or one of these type of places can pull the error codes (reasons) for check engine lights for free.

A new gas cap will be way under $85. Check your dealer parts dept. or an online Toyota parts place.
  • jako1jako1 Posts: 22
    Whats is the best Engine oil and Transmission oils to use in a 98 Corolla with 100K mileage?
  • mtglennmtglenn Posts: 3
    I sent this out once before looking for help. I have a 1999 Corolla, which is burning a lot of oil lately. Is anyone else having this problem, and if so, what did you do to correct the problem?
  • murowamurowa Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 05 Corolla LE.
    I do not know what to do with this.
  • carrilmocarrilmo Posts: 1
    I have had this problem for months. They tried the recalibration thing, then they replaced the fuel pump saying that it was a "no start condition" on certain Corolla and Matrix vehicles. Well, it's been a week since they replaced the fuel pump assembly and it's still giving me the no start problem. I have to take it in again.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    How many miles? I have read that some '98, '99, '00's have oil consumption issues, but you never know what the whole story behind them is, so that it for what it's worth.

I would just keep adding oil as long as possible, because to open up the engine, you are talking major $$.

My '99 has 82,000 miles, does not burn any oil.
  • the best oil to use for you 98 corolla is 5w 30 quaker state. but if you have been using a different oil try to stick with the same oil you have been using. as long as it is 5w 30. this is fine all ear around. As far as your transmission fluid you want to use type 3 trans fluid. recomend buying straight from toyota dealer. it is a little more expensive but worth it. make sure you flush your trans fluid every 30,000 miles. very important. hope i was of help
  • there are many things that can effect your gas mileage. first check you tire pressures. make sure they are what the dorr jam sticker says. if they are ok checl the wear of your tires. if there are wearing unevenly then you may have a alignment problem which will effect you gas mileage. also not sure where you live but if it is an area that gets cold in winter then there are also diifferent blends of gas for colder climates to help reduce condensation and mositure (impuraties) is gas. you may want to try different gas companies as well. try one gas comany for two fill ups and then try another. to see if any improvement. your engine also has a break in period which swhould be anywhere from 8,000 to 10,000 miles. one thing to keep in mind these vehicles are tested on dynos which is not nearly close to everyday driving. well goodluck try those few things see if they help
  • poliva2poliva2 Posts: 25
    When i first drive my Corolla in the morning, The air from the vent smells like something is burning. I have it sent to Fresh Mode. It goes away after driving for a few minutes... Any thoughts??
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    is it a brand new vehicle? it could be some chemicals burning off from initial part manufacture. if the vehicle is older, it could be that during an oil or anti-freeze service, some overspill got on the engine and is now burning off.

having written that, the FIRST thing i would do is open the hood, start the car, and look for anything amiss...leaking fluids, smoke from anywhere, wires / insulation in contact with hot engine parts.

if there was nothing obvious, and if the vehicle is new or just had an oil or anti-freeze/coolant change, i'd probably take the vehicle for a long drive and see if that takes care of it. but this presumes i looked it over really well and saw where there might be spillage, or i was sure there wasn't anything making contact with hot engine parts that shouldn't be.

otherwise, you might want to bring it right in to your dealership.
  • Hey guys,

While washing my gf's car I noticed that her tires have a large crack on the side. They're the standard tires that came with the car (i.e. not the Bridgestone's put some el cheapo tire), and I've been looking around.

The Kumho's are hard to find and have to be special ordered. The stores I've called are trying to unload the Falkien's on me (or her, rather; I'm doing the researching).

Any recommendations? Anyone know who the cheapest tire place is? For example, for four Falkiens from Sears it'll cost 350 OTD. That's outrageous. Are those prices negotiable? thanks a bunch!

Charley

ps If anyone knows what tires to buy for the Corolla, please do share. I know some are better for mpg, some for handling, etc etc etc.
  • Greetings,

I've got a problem with my '94 Corolla. I can hear and feel a "thunk" from the front, right wheel area when taking off from a stop. The only time it happens is taking off from a stop. I've had two mechanics look at it, one replaced a master cylinder and the other replaced the axle. It's still making the noise. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

TheBoneGuy
    if it were me, in a standard touring all-season, i'd consider bridgestone turanzas or kumho touring 795s.

go to:
    www.tirerack.com to compare tires. you might also decide to have some shipped and installed at a participating shop.
  • :confuse: My wife has a 2000 Corolla CE, and recently a clicking noise has started coming from around the passenger side of the engine....mainly when she is going from a stopped position, to acceleration. It almost rattles at times...Also, now there is a "whistling" noise coming from the same area, as well. could anyone help me with this? Thanks!
  • coopdog3coopdog3 Posts: 1
    I have a 91 Toyota Corolla the starter is going out . I notice the check engine light was on and saw that the car temperture gauge was red line I need however get it to a station and cooled it down before it died. Then i notice the fan #1 fuse was burn and put a little foil in their to get the fan going now the car will start but only run while the key is in the starting postionas soon as you let go of the key it dies. Can anyone help me?
  • ahandleyahandley Posts: 2
    I didn't even realize my toyota was doing that until i went into walmart for a oil change and they told me i didn't have one drop of oil in my car!!! They couldn't give me a reason either. Did you ever find out what was going on? i have a 99 corolla.
  • ahandleyahandley Posts: 2
    I ACCELERATE AND HAVE TO TURN MY A/C OFF. ONCE I GET UP TO 50-60 IM GOOD TO GO, BUT IT ALMOST STALLS OUT (I HAVE AN AUTOMATIC) SOMETIMES WHEN I ACCELERATE. NOW WHEN I IDLE IT SOUNDS LIKE IT IS GOING TO SHUT OFF.
  • mtglennmtglenn Posts: 3
    No, still waiting for someone to tell me. Same thing happened when I went to Walmart also. My corolla also is a 99.
    perhaps the idle needs adjustment or the vehicle is mis-reading the throttle position (ie you need a new throttle position sensor).

i think the engine control unit is supposed to kick up the idle with the A/C engaged. if it's mis-reading the throttle position, it may not be doing so.

you may have clogged fuel injectors. i'd run a can of injector cleaner in the car at next fillup (read the instructions on the can).

you may have intermittent plug wires, or very fouled plugs.

there could be a number of things contributing to the vehicle's current condition. has it been seen by a mechanic?
  • jshriverjshriver Posts: 1
    In general I really like TireRack and if you use one of their recommended installers it can be really easy.

Justin
  • I have a problem with my A/C unit. Everything is fine except, for some reason, the unit shuts off and won't come back on. I have been told that there is an open somewhere in the circuit causing the unit not to get power. I know nothing about electricity so this news is like brail to me. Is there somewhere I can get a copy of schematics(don't know how to spell it) or does someone know what I could be looking for.

Thank you for your help

Eric
  • denmacdenmac Posts: 1
    I have the whistle, too. It occurs at 65mph and above, but only when driving into strong winds. Opening a window is the only way I have found to make it stop.
  • rlmpartrlmpart Posts: 1
    I have A 95 corolla with a 1.8 7afe engine. At 2000 to 3000 rpm the car starts bucking as if the injectors are basically being shut off. If it is above or below this RPM the car runs like a top. It has great fuel pressure while it is doing this, tested after the fuel filter. We also changed the TPS unit cause it seems to be the only thing that controls the throttle. If anyone has run into this or have anymore questions please type back. Thank You.
  • art22art22 Posts: 4
    I've had my car about 1000 miles. It's a CE automatic and I live in Florida. I noticed the temperature guage needle rising to the red when I was in stop and go traffic today. I immediately pulled over and stopped the car for several minutes. I had to stop using the AC when in stop and go. It's covered under warranty and i'm bringing it in Thursday. What could the problem be? Maybe the fan isn't engaging. It's probably done that before but I didn't notice. What's going on with this car?
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    Hi everyone. I'm here on behalf of a friend who's a little scared of forums like these. She has a '99 Corolla.

Basically a nickel fell into the air vent under the windshield, and she's wondering if it could fall into any place where it could cause damage. In other words, is there a grille or filter between the air vent and the fan? I'm going to look for diagrams but if anyone knows that'd be great! Thanks.
  • I suggest you first check the amount of fluid in the radiator system.
    Leak? Is the fan turning with the engine on?
    Get thee to the dealer if under warranty.
  • art22art22 Posts: 4
    I just got my car back from the dealer. It was missing a fan fuse and the relay switch was faulty. So much for Toyota quality control. I could have probably fried the engine. It appears to run fine now.