Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Corolla Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have a 95 sedan manual and I get anywhere from 3000 to 3200 driving on the interstate from 75 to 85. I have to get up to 95 to hit 4000 though. It's been that way since I bought it in 95.

Eric
  • raorao Posts: 1
    In which place you installed this alarm. Is ther any website for this Checkmate' ?
  • box75box75 Posts: 1
    Did you figure out how to turn the light off? I was looking all through the manual and did not see it.
  • fgf001fgf001 Posts: 98
    Even though the fan says off it is still pushing air through the cabin. The purpose is to constantly exchange the cabin air.
  • 2005ce2005ce Posts: 3
    The corolla engine is not known to sludge. What oil do you use? How many miles are on the engine? Do you make a lot of short trips?

You could try Auto RX http://www.auto-rx.com/

People have had success with this product. It works gently over time.
  • fgf001fgf001 Posts: 98
    Upon close delivery inspection of our 03 Corolla LE I noticed a greasy fingerprint beneath the clearcoat on the hood. The dealer, which has its own body shop, made an appointment to repaint the entire hood. The warranty is the same as the original paint and you cannot tell ANY difference, the match is perfect.

My point is there are good and bad dealers. If the one you purchased from doesn't satisfy you try another. Glob on a dot of paint indeed, good grief.

It's amazing what they will try and get away with!
  • Am I going crazy, or is there really no way to pause a CD on the OEM stereo in the 2002 Corolla model?
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    You can pause it by hitting the AM/FM button and putting the radio back on. Hitting the CD button again will let you continue where you left off. I think if you turn the power off you can also resume where you left off. Why don't you try it out?
  • I have the same problem on my LE05. It happens when I press the brake pedal half-way and I'm driving slowly. My car has 700 miles. I'm waiting for it to reach a 1000 miles before I take it to the dealer. Is your car made in Canada? Maybe a certain lot from a certain plant has this problem.
  • Same problem with my LE05. A slight cranking sound emanates from the dashboard when you depress the brake pedal slightly. I will take it to the dealer at 1000 miles. Let me know if your dealer is able to fix the problem. Thanks!
  • Good points. I am learning Spanish on my commutes, and I need to repeat phrases or test my knowledge before I hear an answer. It would be nice to have silence when I am thinking, so I will test out the power button on my way home tonight to see how long the delay to turn back on is. Thanks for the ideas.
  • Ok, I bought at new 03 Corolla CE (back when it was new, of course, making it two years old) and I've only had one minor incident in which a truck "nudged" me on the right side. But that's all been fixed and my right side is fine. The problem is with the driver's door window. It rattles like it's loose, especially so when it is all the way up. What is the deal??
  • Just for your information, the Corolla's built in Canada are rated better than Corolla's made in Japan (for the North American market of course). Having said that, you still got a well built car as there is minimal difference between the two.
  • Does the rattle stop if you press your hand on the window?
  • Hi, I'm just wondering what your source of information is for stating that Canadian built models are rated better than Japanese ones. This type of info is usually not made public, so how can you make this statement with such conviction? Also, can you give an example of one difference between a Canadian built Corolla and one built in Japan?
  • john500john500 Posts: 409
    Hi,

I just bought a 95 corolla wagon with 5spd transmission.

When speedo shows 70mph, tach is on 3000rpm.

I think this rpm is too high for that speed. Can anyone tell me what kind of rpm/speed values they are getting with their similar corollas?

Thank you.

As a point of reference, in the highest gear a 2003 Honda Civic SI tachs at 3600 rpm when traveling at 70 mph and 4200 at 80 mph. The explanation you would likely receive from a car maker is that a higher rpm allows for better highway passing acceleration. Unfortunately, it does come at the expense of some fuel economy.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    Why do you think that's too high? I have a 2002 with 5 speed and 70 mph @ 3000 rpm sounds about right with my car. Manufacturers gear their cars for all kinds of factors and it's usually a compromise between performance and economy. The corolla probably needs a little higher rpm perhaps due to the lower torque output at lower rpms. An engine with higher low end torque could used a lower rpm for cruising without putting a strain on the engine. And if there's little torque at the low end then trying to accelerate at the low rpms would be very difficult and you'd be forced to downshift. Right now it's a happy balance and I just push the accelerator down to pass without having to downshift. That's just my guess.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Yes, 70mph = 3,000 rpm in that generation Corolla manual tranny. I do not think that is too high, when you look at Honda, Nissan, etc. and their similar cars have well over 3,000 rpm at 70mph. Toyota gears for efficiency and quietness, so it is generally lower compared to other manufacturers.
  • I purchased a corrolla basic model in June of last year and recently got a flat tire due to uneven wear on the driver front tire. I also noticed same wear pattern on passenger side. No unusual collisions or pothole incidences. I would expect more out of the car after 6 to 7 months. Anybody like to comment?
  • john500john500 Posts: 409
    Tough situation. You are correct in expecting more out of the tires (assuming your mileage is reasonable). How did it work out?

I can just see the dealer attempting to avoid responsibility claiming that the tire is covered under a different warranty and (most likely erroneously) blaming your driving habits for causing the alignment problem. Conversely, the tire outlet will probably try to avoid responsibility or pay a graduated amount towards replacement tires. If your mileage is low enough (say under 10,000 miles), I would try to lean on the dealer to fix the alignment problem under warranty stating that it was likely an existing condition and not caused by you.